Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Phantasium posted:

It's this, but also it counts runs instead of users, so if your level is only played by one person who plays ten times and only clears it once, it's a 10% clear rate.

Ah ok, thanks, that makes sense. I'm also assuming that it just flat out filters out your own runs from the levels? Or, now that I type that out, I actually assume that when looking for levels online, you're never shown your own. Is that correct?

So, if you had the #1 highest-rated level in the Normal Difficulty - Global category, you would be the only one who would see a different level as the #1?

EDIT: I've been half-watching/half-listening to some DGR videos this morning while at work, and just learned he's from :canada: :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ah ok, thanks, that makes sense. I'm also assuming that it just flat out filters out your own runs from the levels? Or, now that I type that out, I actually assume that when looking for levels online, you're never shown your own. Is that correct?

So, if you had the #1 highest-rated level in the Normal Difficulty - Global category, you would be the only one who would see a different level as the #1?

No, I don't believe there's any self-filtering. I've definitely seen levels that had the same uploader and WR holder. If you wanted to just beat your own level over and over again, go ahead I guess! What's the harm after all?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I was thinking more from a 'cheesing the completion stats' point-of-view, but maybe your runs don't count towards the actual level death/completion stats.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I was thinking more from a 'cheesing the completion stats' point-of-view, but maybe your runs don't count towards the actual level death/completion stats.

Are you suggesting that an uploader could play their level over and over and purposely die, thereby making the level seem harder than it is so it'll appear in Super Expert? I'm still not entirely sure somebody wouldn't be able to do that if they wanted to, it's just that nobody really does afaik!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Phantasium posted:

It's this, but also it counts runs instead of users, so if your level is only played by one person who plays ten times and only clears it once, it's a 10% clear rate.

It would be a lot more telling if they displayed:
  • "all completed runs / all attempted runs" ratio
  • "number of players who have beaten the level / number of players who have attempted the level" ratio
  • ...and maybe an "average number of deaths before first clear" stat as well

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 14, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

timp posted:

Are you suggesting that an uploader could play their level over and over and purposely die, thereby making the level seem harder than it is so it'll appear in Super Expert? I'm still not entirely sure somebody wouldn't be able to do that if they wanted to, it's just that nobody really does afaik!

Either that, or they clear it using all of the tricks they know of, since they made it, thus making it seem easier than it is, and it gets incorrectly classified.

Again, I'm assuming that the system doesn't count any of your runs on your own levels, I was just curious if that was true.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Either that, or they clear it using all of the tricks they know of, since they made it, thus making it seem easier than it is, and it gets incorrectly classified.

Again, I'm assuming that the system doesn't count any of your runs on your own levels, I was just curious if that was true.

I really think it does though, that's what I'm saying! The problem you're outlining isn't really much of a problem worth circumventing. Sometimes levels that are far too easy DO end up in Super Expert, but as more people play them with no problem, they eventually get sorted back down into Expert or lower. Same thing with the inverse; I see streamers finish super expert levels all the time and go "...that was a super expert?"

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

So, I'm kind of fascinated by the 'movement', for lack of a better term, of clearing out all of the SMM1 levels that have a 0.00% clearance rate. That's pretty neat, and I wonder if they'll get them all done before SMM2 is released.

EDIT: Also, here's a really well-designed troll level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A28kItTOSQM

Gotta dust off my wii u so I can do the reverse of this- go the most cleared levels and die as much as I can!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

timp posted:

I really think it does though, that's what I'm saying! The problem you're outlining isn't really much of a problem worth circumventing. Sometimes levels that are far too easy DO end up in Super Expert, but as more people play them with no problem, they eventually get sorted back down into Expert or lower. Same thing with the inverse; I see streamers finish super expert levels all the time and go "...that was a super expert?"

Ah, gotcha. I suppose within no time, the general population's stats would obliterate your own.

Man, again, I haven't played SMM1, though I've watched a ton of it, and I can't even begin to comprehend just how many levels are going to be made this time, now that it'll likely have an install base much larger than the first game. . :psyduck:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess with a big enough twitch following, you could get enough people to farm deaths that an easy level could get to super expert.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ah, gotcha. I suppose within no time, the general population's stats would obliterate your own.

Man, again, I haven't played SMM1, though I've watched a ton of it, and I can't even begin to comprehend just how many levels are going to be made this time, now that it'll likely have an install base much larger than the first game. . :psyduck:

I just realized I accidentally said the same thing twice in that quote above, lol but instead of editing my earlier post I'll use this opportunity to add another relevant point to this discussion. I'm fairly sure that ALL new levels get filtered into Super Expert, as I see quite a few streamers get First Clears while they play through Super Expert but I've never seen a brutally hard level just randomly end up in Easy, Medium, or Expert mode. So that sort of helps deal with half of the issue of levels getting sorted inaccurately

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I don't know what the secret formula is to classify a level as easy/normal/expert/super expert but completion % alone is not it. You have cases like this one that have a .48% clear rate but are still classified as easy. People must have been deliberately dying to drag down the clear rate but the system still knows the level is easy so the clear to play ratio probably has to factor in as well.

Then you have something like this stage which has one clear, 45 players, and 55 attempts. The level just lags the timer by forcing mystery mushrooms on you constantly and all you have to do is wait for eight and a half hours for a p-switch to get set off. People abandoning the level doesn't seem to count against it in the difficulty rating.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 14, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFrT7-19JI

Good actual level making design video

Ceave is one of the best Mario guys on YouTube. He has a ton of videos explaining different contraptions one can make in Mario Maker and how they could be implemented in levels

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 14, 2019

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Was about to post that, I've watched a bunch of videos on the subject and I still learned a ton. Worth noting this isn't about building insane contraption. He puts together a very simple level with nothing more complex than moving platforms outside of one little secret, and it looks great.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFrT7-19JI

Good actual level making design video

Ceave is one of the best Mario guys on YouTube. He has a ton of videos explaining different contraptions one can make in Mario Maker and how they could be implemented in levels

:yeah:

This one is going in the OP too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah the idea of playtesting regular, then speed run, then without run at all to remove your muscle memory, tweaking during each test phase, is really smart.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah the idea of playtesting regular, then speed run, then without run at all to remove your muscle memory, tweaking during each test phase, is really smart.

This is how I made my levels in MM1 :v:

I thought this was honestly the smartest way to do it so surprised others weren't doing it beforehand.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, I've come to a surprising realization after watching as many SMM2 videos out there as I could; I absolutely hate the general theme song from the game (I assume that it's the SMM2 theme, and not the theme from 3D world, which I never played).

I don't know what it is about it that I hate, either. I initially didn't care at all, which is probably the lowest opinion I could give a Mario-related song, but this one just grates on my nerves now and I never want to hear it again :negative:

I even enjoy the NSMB theme more than this one.

Edit: for clarity, this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbNMffXXATA

gently caress this track so much. I don't even know why.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 16, 2019

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i dunno what to say, that track owns

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

That's... one of the best Mario tracks ever from one of the best Mario games ever.

I... can't believe this. Mods? God? Someone?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

i dunno what to say, that track owns

legitimately speechless

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tone deaf maybe?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Tone deaf maybe?

Ironically enough, I'm a trained audio engineer and composer. I'm trying to find any sort of actual, compositional reason that I can't stand it, and I'm blanking.

Welp.

Edit: I have two young sons, who like most kids (and goons :smug:) take everything and run it into the ground almost immediately. Maybe I'm just really loving tired of that track, and no longer have much patience for poo poo repeating over and over, day after day (I've watched a LOT of these videos).

Then again, I've heard the entire SMB3 soundtrack probably more than 500 times at this point, and I still love it. :iiam:

Little Mac posted:

That's... one of the best Mario tracks ever from one of the best Mario games ever.

I... can't believe this. Mods? God? Someone?

Hi, you're incorrect, even if I didn't hate that 3D world track :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv-Sw2v_pyA

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 16, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't really like the NSMBU music myself. I wish they'd use the theme from the other NSMB games, as that one's much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GK41pLUuP0

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Well, I've come to a surprising realization after watching as many SMM2 videos out there as I could; I absolutely hate the general theme song from the game (I assume that it's the SMM2 theme, and not the theme from 3D world, which I never played).

I don't know what it is about it that I hate, either. I initially didn't care at all, which is probably the lowest opinion I could give a Mario-related song, but this one just grates on my nerves now and I never want to hear it again :negative:

You have the weirdest post history in this thread, drat

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mega64 posted:

I don't really like the NSMBU music myself. I wish they'd use the theme from the other NSMB games, as that one's much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GK41pLUuP0

NSMBU was always strange to me because much of the presentation of it feels well-made but like bland and safe but the actual meat of the game is just fantastic.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zelder posted:

You have the weirdest post history in this thread, drat

I've been on these forums way too long to be bothered by this. I'll take it as a badge of honour before anything else. :toot:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love the 3D World theme. Makes me think of cats.:3:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ironically enough, I'm a trained audio engineer and composer. I'm trying to find any sort of actual, compositional reason that I can't stand it, and I'm blanking.

Welp.

Edit: I have two young sons, who like most kids (and goons :smug:) take everything and run it into the ground almost immediately. Maybe I'm just really loving tired of that track, and no longer have much patience for poo poo repeating over and over, day after day (I've watched a LOT of these videos).

Then again, I've heard the entire SMB3 soundtrack probably more than 500 times at this point, and I still love it. :iiam:

But you didn't even post the best version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgQPlbwyX8w

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I prefer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTa7mPHPk3s myself

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I said "one of"

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Finished up easy runs to get even numbers all around before I go on vacation and head to SGDQ. A nice ending to my favorite game of the past four years.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm like 20 stars away from the final medal. It makes me happy that 4 years later that number is still slooowly climbing up somehow.

It would be nice to hit it before MM2 but eh :v:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I wound up with a total of 1660 stars. I'll be interested to see how the new rating system, as well as my better experience with making levels, affects things. I'm assuming that you'll need a certain rating to unlock more upload slots again, right? I don't remember that being said anywhere.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Suspicious Cook posted:

I wound up with a total of 1660 stars. I'll be interested to see how the new rating system, as well as my better experience with making levels, affects things. I'm assuming that you'll need a certain rating to unlock more upload slots again, right? I don't remember that being said anywhere.

I don’t think they’ve commented on it but there is still a medal system that may or may not be tied to uploads. From the look of it you earn badges through various activities and only a couple appear to be linked to getting likes.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 17, 2019

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Tend to agree with Rupert on this one. Not a fan of 3D world, and even though the song is good, it reminds me of a game I wouldn’t play again. :shrug:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

this is a nightmare world

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

zfleeman posted:

Not a fan of 3D world,

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

TBF I felt the same way until about world 6, then the game took a sudden strong upturn.