Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Once they leaned into Iron Fist being kind of a goofy punch-nerd he became a lot more likeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jessica Jones is indeed cool but also she is rude.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lurdiak posted:

Daredevil S1 was really good and adding more joke's wouldn't have improved it.

:emptyquote:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Stick as Splinter, the Hand as the Foot...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Medullah posted:

Stick as Splinter, the Hand as the Foot...

How do you come up with these connections???

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I can't believe no one's said Punisher as Casey Jones.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Sgt. Politeness posted:

See I was thinking:
Daredevil = Leonardo the serious leader type
Jessica Jones = Raphael the loner with attitude
Luke Cage = Donatello not quite the nerd but the most civic minded and the least eager to fight
Ironfist = Michelangelo the goofball idiot

But see, which Turtle is most likely to use a weapon like this?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Nipponophile posted:

I can't believe no one's said Punisher as Casey Jones.

Which media member takes the April O'Neil slot? Karen Page or Patsy Walker?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Jessica Jones probably has the most humor out of the four shows.

I mean if you ignore Luke Cage, sure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think that dab was supposed to be funny.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Wait, so a comics accurate Hellcat costume was an option and they passed so she could wear yet another lovely make shift daredevil rag costume?
I retroactively regret ever getting invested in the Marvel Netflix mini universe.

Well, this was posted in the TVIV thread:

Lid posted:

June 14th

"I'm really upset about the new Production Designer. She worked as an Art Director on a lot of the Marvel Netflix shows, but doesn't give half a poo poo about the subject matter. At all. Never informed herself about the characters or who they're supposed to be. Never even watched a single MCU movie or show.

Also, she's really, really bad at her job, and a generally unpleasant human being. She's the only Production Designer I've ever worked for that I would NEVER work for again. I love the show I'm on now, but I would straight quit if she were suddenly hired to replace my boss."

If it's true, it might explain a lot.

Compare and contrast to Cloak & Dagger, where they gave Tyrone his iconic look for several of the biggest hero moments and still give him a pretty great and thematically-appropriate civilian look. And gave Tandy a similarly cool-looking outfit but thankfully disregarded the whole boob window part of it.

Or Doom Patrol, which just went 100% into the comic booky goodness.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Maybe it's just the low expectations but I'm five episodes in JJS3 and started to like this show again. The villain is kinda good. It's interesti that he's just a really smart, psychopathic civilian who is quite good at the things he does and not some old god trying to take over the world by opening a blood portal. As far as I can tell so far, he's just a talented, well educated guy, who found something unconventional, which truly makes him happy, without trying to leaverage anything out of it. And I have to respect that.

Trish's outfit is still really boring. But I enjoy her hanging out with Jessica again. Their dynamic was always one of the best things in this show, which is a large reason why season 2 broke down so much.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What even is the plot of s3

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

lmao
https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/1139687857499410433

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The worst thing is there is a great Hellcat series by Kate Leth which is a great reiminaging of the character but nope, gotta be grounded and gritty. Admittly, that did came out after JJ started, but hopefully if Marvel ever decides to do the character again, she'll be more like that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
uhhh why would you think they'd adapt leths hellcat to the dark and gritty Netflix universe

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's not like you can't do a grounded hellcat that isn't insanely frustrating to watch. Trish was awesome in season 1 as a supporting character.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
In no way should the Netflix series have tried to be like the MCU. The tone of Daredevil 1 and JJ 1 was loving perfect. The problem started when they tried to make Iron Fist the exact same show. They should have realized you can be a bit more light and silly without seeming like a completely different universe. IF2 was a lot closer but by that point they were on life support.

In a different timeline the Netflix series stuck the landing, and The Defenders came out of one of the portals at the end of Endgame. What a waste.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
This season is definitely better than the last. I still think Danny has the best supporting cast, but I dunno. I like Jessica's new sassy secretary. Trish is a lot more interesting to watch. Malcolm's character is still being done a disservice, but I say that just because I have absolutely no idea what they're doing with him. That said, the episodes that go through the events we just witnessed from Trish's perspective I probably could do without? Feels like they just needed to fill out the episode requirement.

Almost done and it's been a smooth watch.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

In a different timeline the Netflix series stuck the landing, and The Defenders came out of one of the portals at the end of Endgame. What a waste.

Nah. The directors were pretty clear that they didn't think it was worth the 3 second cameo for a load of characters that possibly nobody in the theater had seen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Colleen and Misty are the MVPs of the NMU. Nobody else will be missed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I miss Netflix Frank

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's too good to toss away. If they save anything it will be Bernthal.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

D'onofrio’s Kingpin is the biggest loss from the Netflix stuff

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Great now I wanna watch Daughters of the Dragon and Punisher team up against Kingpin. 😭

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Watching Jessica Jones season 3 and I feel like this loan shark is a 3rd rate Character Actress Margo Martindale ™

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

uhhh why would you think they'd adapt leths hellcat to the dark and gritty Netflix universe

I'm not suggesting they do that, but later on if they do decide to bring her back to adapt Leth's work. Or they could have just gone with another C grade female hero for Jess's friend in the show.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Very good season. It unfortunately feels flat because we know this is the end, but frankly I think this turned me around after the last awful season. My biggest Netflix MCU shame is the only really good crossover we got was when Danny showed up in that episode of Luke Cage S2. Fantastic episode and a good use of that character's time. Other than that it was like we waited until Defenders for there to be crossovers. Then we got 5 seasons of Netflix after that and only 1. Shame.

I dunno, nobody wants to read me explain all of my feelings. All I can say is this was a good season of TV.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

Nah. The directors were pretty clear that they didn't think it was worth the 3 second cameo for a load of characters that possibly nobody in the theater had seen.

The entire MCU was built on characters nobody had ever seen. Nobody gave a poo poo about Iron Man before his movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's clear that whatever was going on between the TV and Movie sides of Marvel wasn't based on anything approaching logic.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Nipponophile posted:

The entire MCU was built on characters nobody had ever seen. Nobody gave a poo poo about Iron Man before his movie.

My mistake, it was the writers, not the directors.

McFeely posted:

We would have to introduce these five characters — or whatever many. We already are assuming people have seen a lot of the movies. Are we really going to assume they have bought a subscription to Netflix and watched those shows enough so that when they see them, they’re going to go “yay?”

I don't agree, but I still get what they're saying. It wouldn't have hurt another 60 seconds to put the Defenders and...I dunno, Cloak and Dagger and a Shield agent or something in some kind of cameo.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
From my TVIV post:

On episode 12 and I don't really like this season. I liked the first 2 seasons of Daredevil, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones (yes I'm that one person that liked the second season of these shows) but this season wasn't to my liking. When dollar store Nathan Fillion showed up that's when I got a bad feeling.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

Carrie-Ann Moss is so astonishingly good as Hogarth

twistedmentat posted:

I'm not suggesting they do that, but later on if they do decide to bring her back to adapt Leth's work.

I enjoyed aka Hellcat, but I don't think Leth's aggressively twee take on the character would work in live action, animated is another story though.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Rhyno posted:

I like Luke Cage and he had good chemistry with Jessica :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Spider-Gwen reference in Jessica Jones episode 2 was nice.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

quote:

We would have to introduce these five characters — or whatever many. We already are assuming people have seen a lot of the movies. Are we really going to assume they have bought a subscription to Netflix and watched those shows enough so that when they see them, they’re going to go “yay?”

Yeah I get what they're saying. But I'm almost certain the answer to that question would have been 'gently caress yes'

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the double take cap does when they show up and hes like who the gently caress are those guys wouldve been amusing at least

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Yeah I get what they're saying. But I'm almost certain the answer to that question would have been 'gently caress yes'

Well I mean the shows went to poo poo basically instantly, so I think history has vindicated their decision making process.

I will always love that loving James D'Arcy is the only one to make the leap from tv to movies. Good on him.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
4 movies in and people still give Hawkeye and Black Widow poo poo for even bothering to show up, The Defenders were better off staying in their lane.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Given how crammed and disjointed the shooting for Endgame was, a Defenders cameo would probably have been like the X-Men: Apocalypse cast cameo in Deadpool 2. Why would they even be there? Strange doesn't know them and it's him and his crew teleporting everyone there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well he lives in NYC so uh, logically Matt Murdock is his lawyer?