Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

morestuff posted:

Genuinely not on board with the “Stephen A. Is good actually” hard turn of the last year or so

I think it's not so much that everyone thinks Stephen A is good, but more like he's what we deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
by separating skip and steven a everyone has realized how good they are

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

to me, him getting in on the bit and going full wrestling manager is just so fitting for the stupid state of sports hot take culture. like if they are going to run hours upon hours of people having mindless debates then at least realize how silly it is and lay it on as thick as possible.
When he took himself more seriously I really didn't care for him but now that he's turned it up to 11 I find him wildly entertaining

e: i should say it's not like I want to watch first take tho or his radio show. it's just in these short segments where he goes off its great fun

BWV fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 15, 2019

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Loud clown + 10% self awareness doesn’t do it for me

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

morestuff posted:

the way he says "high" in that video made me laugh

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

morestuff posted:

Exactly. I get that he went from idiot loudmouth to self-aware idiot loudmouth and is playing his gimmick perfectly, but that doesn't mean it's entertaining. He's just annoying.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

e:wt

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

by separating skip and steven a everyone has realized how good they are

Who the hell thinks Skip is good?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Stephen A is funny and about as entertaining as you can expect for someone in that role, until he gets serious like telling pro athletes that they don't want to make an enemy of him, then he's extremely funny

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lockback posted:

Who the hell thinks Skip is good?

everyone who can appreciate a good troll

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

everyone who can appreciate a good troll

I know it's a sad desolate wasteland that needs all the help it can get but you don't actually need to defend literally every single thing associated with the state of oklahoma

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 15, 2019

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
i will never defend anything from this loving shithole just by virtue of being from this goddamn shithole but i will absolutely defend a person hustling his way to millions by saying a bunch of stupid poo poo about sports

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's a bad person and being dumb and lovely on purpose is still being dumb and lovely

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What if it's not an act?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'ts been brought up in this or the broadcasting thread multiple times but didnt Skip win a drat peabody or pulitzer or something for newspaper articles, I think we can say its an act.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/212767135901024256

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

when skip was on first take there was a long profile on him (i think by grantland maybe) and it basically said he spends all his free time exercising and sitting alone at home watching sports and writing down his takes. he takes himself super seriously

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't know that I can find it but I remember some first hand accounts that Skip was a really nice guy and not at all like his persona on set.

Metapod posted:

i will never defend anything from this loving shithole just by virtue of being from this goddamn shithole but i will absolutely defend a person hustling his way to millions by saying a bunch of stupid poo poo about sports

Successful, yes. "Good"? No.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

morestuff posted:

he’s a fun meme but i often wonder if people are laughing at him because he’s a blowhard and a caricature of goofy self-important ny sports fans or if they’re laughing because he’s a wacky loud black man who doesn’t make them feel bad

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

BWV posted:

when skip was on first take there was a long profile on him (i think by grantland maybe) and it basically said he spends all his free time exercising and sitting alone at home watching sports and writing down his takes. he takes himself super seriously

Also despite his brother being a world-famous chef, Skip apparently orders 7 chicken and broccoli dishes with no sauce from a Chinese restaurant and just eats that throughout the week.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Basticle posted:

I'ts been brought up in this or the broadcasting thread multiple times but didnt Skip win a drat peabody or pulitzer or something for newspaper articles, I think we can say its an act.

He won a few awards for his columnist work but so have lots of lovely writers. There are people in this thread who treat him like he's Carl Bernstein just because he happened to be in the Pony Express documentary. His past as a Serious Journalist is really inflated, he fell into being a hot takey columnist who regularly got run out of whatever city he was in because everyone hated him pretty quickly.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

MourningView posted:

He won a few awards for his columnist work but so have lots of lovely writers. There are people in this thread who treat him like he's Carl Bernstein just because he happened to be in the Pony Express documentary. His past as a Serious Journalist is really inflated, he fell into being a hot takey columnist who regularly got run out of whatever city he was in because everyone hated him pretty quickly.

Yeah, his very first claim to fame was writing trash about Steve Garvey & the Dodgers. And the awards he won were state awards where the national winner was Rick Reilly. He’s always been garbage with a little writing ability.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also despite his brother being a world-famous chef, Skip apparently orders 7 chicken and broccoli dishes with no sauce from a Chinese restaurant and just eats that throughout the week.

Skip distanced himself pretty far from the rest of his family and from what I remember, it's really drat hard to blame him for that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Yeah, his very first claim to fame was writing trash about Steve Garvey & the Dodgers. And the awards he won were state awards where the national winner was Rick Reilly. He’s always been garbage with a little writing ability.

Yeah a lot of his most famous reporting work was gossipy tabloid stuff about athletes and their personal lives.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Yeah a lot of his most famous reporting work was gossipy tabloid stuff about athletes and their personal lives.
I'm about 98% positive every cent he made in the 1990's was thanks to gossip about the Dallas Cowboys.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Alexander Hamilton posted:

to be fair garvey probably deserved it

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

to be fair garvey probably deserved it
IIRC Garvey was known publicly as "that All-American family guy that every WASP is supposed to grow up to be" while behind the scenes he trying to pressure his wife into an open marriage and cheating on her with multiple women simultaneously.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Crazy Ted posted:

IIRC Garvey was known publicly as "that All-American family guy that every WASP is supposed to grow up to be" while behind the scenes he trying to pressure his wife into an open marriage and cheating on her with multiple women simultaneously.

The "Honk if you're carrying Steve Garvey's child" bumper stickers were popular in SoCal for a long time.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The "Honk if you're carrying Steve Garvey's child" bumper stickers were popular in SoCal for a long time.
Haha

Yeah he was apparently SuperTurboWASP 1000 combined with 1970's California sexual trends when people weren't looking.

The Wiki entry on his personal life is fun

quote:

Garvey was known as "Mr. Clean" during his time with the Dodgers. Manager Tommy Lasorda once commented, "If he ever came to date my daughter, I'd lock the door and not let him out."[29] At age 22, Garvey married Cynthia Truhan[29] in 1971. They had two children, Krisha and Whitney. Cynthia left Garvey for composer Marvin Hamlisch.[29] (Cyndy would later claim Garvey "gave me away" to Hamlisch after a private two-hour conversation.[29]) Garvey was already romantically involved with his secretary.[29] The couple filed for divorce in September 1981. Garvey later filed for an annulment from Cyndy in Detroit. After seven and half years, the annulment was granted.

Garvey discovered in July 1988 that Cheryl Moulton was pregnant with his child, Ashleigh, a pregnancy Garvey claimed was without his consent.[29] Although Moulton was pregnant with his child, Garvey proposed to Rebecka Mendenhall in November 1988, telling Mendenhall about Ms. Moulton in 1988 at the time of the proposal. Mendenhall learned that she was pregnant that January. Garvey broke their engagement January 1, 1989 on a phone call,[31] explaining that he was involved with and cared for another woman. Garvey and Mendenhall had been in a relationship since 1986. He claimed to have asked her to become engaged because of what he termed an "ultimatum". Their only child, Slade, was born in October 1989.

In January 1989, Garvey became engaged to Candace Thomas, whom he met at a benefit for the Special Olympics. Over the next few weeks, Garvey and Thomas began a courtship that included trips to the inauguration of President George H.W. Bush and the Super Bowl.[29] When these details became public, Garvey's post-baseball political ambitions disappeared.[29] Garvey, in the midst of what he termed a "midlife disaster", sued Cyndy, his ex-wife, for access to his two children.[29] His daughters testified in court they did not wish to see him.[29] Cyndy Garvey (who at the time went by her maiden name Cynthia Truhan) was handcuffed and jailed, based on 167 counts of contempt.[29] Under the shadow of multiple lawsuits, Garvey lost business opportunities, paid half his monthly television earnings in child support,[29] and millions in legal fees.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Redgrendel2001 posted:

lmao

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Steve Garvey, the white Steve Harvey

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
He was also really setting himself up to be Sen. Steve Garvey (R-CA), until...well...

He also ended up comically broke, hounded by creditors and unable to cover his utility bills: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2006-apr-09-me-garvey9-story.html

Still, he helped win the first-ever pennant for my San Diego Padres so, it;s impossible to say if he is bad or not

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

here’s an article from rick reilly when he was still Trying about garvey

https://www.si.com/vault/1989/11/27...ays-he-is-broke

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1139911281010495488?s=21

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh my god you loving neeeerrrrrrrrrddddddddddd

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is ken rosenthal making death threats

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXIS6VTfAAk&t=10s

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/theathleticbiz/status/1140605048637947904?s=21

this is an interesting section to open

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
How dare you open this vertical without Dan Rovell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Dexo posted:

How dare you open this vertical without Dan Rovell

Rovell has ascended to his ultimate form: full-time sports gambling shill