Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Azran posted:

For once I'd like to find a South American subreddit without a majority right-wing userbase.

You're going to want to look at spanish speaking sources then, because the vast majority of english speakers in latin america are right wingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

So is AMLO doing good?

Gasoline theft supposedly went down a lot after the actions earlier this year. Some of the higher-ups involved with organized fuel theft were arrested, and I think at least one ran away to Spain.

He introduced an old-age pension of 2550 pesos payable every two months. Everyone aged 68+ gets it irrespective of economic situation/other benefits, so it's truly universal. People from indigenous zones can get it from age 65+ due to lower life expectancy. I know people of relatively humble means who are getting this now.

https://www.mibolsillo.com/retiro/Requisitos-para-pension-universal-de-AMLO-20190103-0004.html

Edit: There's also something about student stipends, but I don't know too much about it and don't have time to dig into it/verify right now.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

AMLO also:
-Gutted medical institution budgets sending them into a crisis
-Gutted the budget of the environment agency while they were dealing with a ton of forest fires.
-Cancelled the airport that was already underway to make another one that is worse in every single way.
-Wants to spend millions on an unviable refinery and a useless train.

Just to name a few.

On the plus side, he's just as good as Peña at providing memes.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Yeah, the institutions are chafing at the austerity measures and Hacienda tightening the purse strings. The deficit has been spiraling out of control for the past decade, and Obrador is trying to balance the budget without raising taxes. Of course, reasonable people can disagree on whether that's a good strategy, and whether the measures are being applied accurately.

The public medical institutions have had severe issues for a long time and are rife with corruption. The IMSS director who resigned in May said as much:

https://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/nacional/la-renuncia-de-martinez-cazares-al-imss-en-10-frases

He lays some of the blame at the feet of AMLO, but it's telling that he says the IMSS needs more comprehensive reforms, not less.

The train thing sounds kind of dumb if the idea is that it'll be a tourist attraction only, and the refinery... I don't know, I'm not crazy about AMLO's Pemex boner since I don't think oil is the future in general, but on the other hand, Pemex supports a lot of people, and if you're going to pump oil why not refine your own gasoline too.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lfmao

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1137076936264560641

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's hard to say who'd come out worse on that in the end.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Isn't Argentina's money completely failing? I'm assuming they're thinking they can just exploit them following that?

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock
No because it's going to be at least Argentine peso by a certain percentage. This is some pipe dream they had between the finance ministers Guedes and Dujovne that will never really happen because Macri is possibly on the way out and the Bolsonaro government is wtflol.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
So today there was an event in my city in which AMLO was supposed to protest if the tariff negotations failed, but instead now it is about "celebrating our dignity and our friendship with the US".

In essence, the agreement was there the US would not increment tariffs (which would start at 5%, and increase monthly 'til it became 25%), and the Mexican government would send up to 6,000 National Guard soldiers close to the Guatemalan border to control the flow of immigrants.

Also, the US would send asylum seekers to Mexico during the asylum process (which at least here in Tijuana is what's already happening since last year). The US agrees to make this process faster, and Mexico promises to offer seekers with health services and temporary employment in the meantime.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
https://static.theintercept.com/amp/brazil-car-wash-prosecutors-workers-party-lula.html

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This was basically a coup....

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I work with 5 Brazilians but they're all upper middle class Japanese extraction so they're all pro-Bolso. Coxinhas I think the term is?

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

What kind of impact do you think this news will have? On a scale of "rioting in the streets" .. "scathing op-ed in university newspaper"?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

RIP Syndrome posted:

What kind of impact do you think this news will have? On a scale of "rioting in the streets" .. "scathing op-ed in university newspaper"?

:tootzzz:

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Scaramouche posted:

I work with 5 Brazilians but they're all upper middle class Japanese extraction so they're all pro-Bolso. Coxinhas I think the term is?

Coxinhas is fine as a catch-all for the right-wing middle class but if you really wanna piss them off call them Bolsominions.

Also, don't be surprised if they disavow him in a few months and go back to the "i don't like politics" sleeper mode till next elections.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Scaramouche posted:

i'm very glad that my sister-in-law, her parents, and her best friend all hate Bolsonaro

i was worried because they're also relatively well off and pretty pale

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Siselmo posted:

So today there was an event in my city in which AMLO was supposed to protest if the tariff negotations failed, but instead now it is about "celebrating our dignity and our friendship with the US".

In essence, the agreement was there the US would not increment tariffs (which would start at 5%, and increase monthly 'til it became 25%), and the Mexican government would send up to 6,000 National Guard soldiers close to the Guatemalan border to control the flow of immigrants.

Also, the US would send asylum seekers to Mexico during the asylum process (which at least here in Tijuana is what's already happening since last year). The US agrees to make this process faster, and Mexico promises to offer seekers with health services and temporary employment in the meantime.

This was a total joke, there was nothing to celebrate here

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

El Chingon posted:

This was a total joke, there was nothing to celebrate here

Pretty much. For all intents and purposes Mexico has become the US' wall. To think they would make the asylum process faster is absolutely hilarious.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Siselmo posted:

Pretty much. For all intents and purposes Mexico has become the US' wall. To think they would make the asylum process faster is absolutely hilarious.

It sounds like the deal is basically the status quo but with some superficial changes. Are those national guard really going to make a difference to migrant flows?

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Squalid posted:

It sounds like the deal is basically the status quo but with some superficial changes.

Yuuuuup.

Squalid posted:

Are those national guard really going to make a difference to migrant flows?

I don't think it would help too much.

It would make the migrants' life a lot harder (it's very well known that local authorities extort migrants and abuse women, and I don't think the National Guard will be much better, plus Mexicans don't have good record about our treatment of Central Americans), but I've seen reports from Honduras and El Salvador and the consensus seems to be that they don't plan to stop coming because the situation at home is pretty bad already.

Also, the deal was made with the caveat that if Mexico doesn't comply, the tariffs will be brought up again (no idea what's the condition on the US' side, but lmao at them complying, honestly).

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, this is significant, and I'm glad evidence of Moro's insane fuckery has come to light. Michael Brooks had a good interview with Greenwald yesterday evening, summarizing this and explaining why it's important:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Mge4EqA_8

mcmagic posted:

This was basically a coup....

Yup. It's something that everybody to the left of John Bolton should be united in protest against. Brooks is right when he says that Lula is the most significant political prisoner in the world today, and there needs to be a clear call from non-CHUDS worldwide for his release.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

happy birthday to che, who tried to let latin americans have nice things before the yanqui devils killed him

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Latin Americans Can't Have Nice Things.

A massive electrical failure has left all of Argentina and Uruguay without power, according to a major Argentine electricity provider.

The combined population of Argentina and Uruguay is about 48 million people.

Reports said the power cut had also affected parts of Brazil and Paraguay.

Argentine media said the power cut occurred shortly after 07:00 (11:00 BST), causing trains to be halted and failures with traffic signalling.

It came as people in parts of Argentina were preparing to go to the polls for local elections.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-48652686

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

If Argentina and Paraguay weren't communist states like Venezuela this kind of thing would never happen.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Im not even upset. This is expected at this point.

Sure loving wish i didnt get up at 7 every day like clockwork tho.

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock
I have some "friend of a friend" information that the Secretary of Energy is only beginning to confirm partially in the news, but it looks like the high-tension 500 kV line coming out of the huge Yacyretá-Salto Grande dam dropped because of the heavy storms we're having and it made all the safeguards in the interconnected national system cascade down and collapse when they detected the drop in frequency (we use 50 Hz here).

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/16/world/americas/power-failure-argentina-uruguay.html

quote:

The outage was caused by a failure in two separate 500,000 volt power lines in a corridor that takes power from the Yacyreta dam to Buenos Aires, according to a high-ranking government official. The cause of that failure remained unclear.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Gotta admit waking up in a remote house in Patagonia with no light, no phone service and the last messages I received being about a Globsl/regional energy blackout was interesting in a post apocalyptic kind of way.

The airport I'm in having lost power twice since arrived fills me with confidence.

Also funny how everyone was blsming Macri as soon as it happened

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I wanna see the satellite view of Latin America right now

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It's just North Korea but flipped vertically and bigger.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Argentina in the news

https://www.leftvoice.org/when-workers-went-on-strike-to-defend-a-trans-colleague-and-ended-up-occupying-their-factory

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Just going to vent a little because I just had to block in Facebook an acquaintance from way back over a discussion about AMLO.

A couple of days ago he posted a convo he had with a friend of his, about how this person feels so regretful about voting for AMLO, because they think he's the worst of the worst. I replied to this post by saying that that kind of stuff is useless, since just posting on Facebook does nothing, and if they feel that bad they should join a political party or social movement, so in the next election they can make a difference.

This triggered him really hard, started to reply like every minute saying that everyone is entitled to their own opinion (true), that who I was to disqualify another (just for stating my own opinion), putting like 5 clickbait articles about how terrible AMLO is and calling me out to refute him.

I was going to let it go, but decided it was a good time to exercise the old writing and research muscle. So I looked up some sources, with good hard numbers, and turnsout that the Peso/Dollar is doing pretty good, comparing it to the past presidents and accounting for inflation. I posted a longish text in my wall about it, tagging him so he wouldn't miss it, and waited.

He got triggered harder. Started saying that he was just posting a friends opinion (to support his own), that he had all the right to say if he thinks AMLO is doing bad (true, but I also have the right to state differently), that he doesn't trust my sources THEN uses a part of my text to defend his viewpoint (I'm like "Are you serious?"), tries to disqualify me because he studied Communications and has worked in newspapers (I have also worked as a journalist, but he has worked on FOUR newspapers, mainly in graphic design, so he's THE EXPERT) and that after all this he's just being neutral and balanced, while refuting to discuss the sources because they must be wrong.

All this in over 25 Facebook comments.

Now I get why so many of you just block the Trump apologists. And this is my first and last Facebook calling out. Lesson learned.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So is AMLO doing good?

Depends. He's doing things differently, and his detractors love saying that if only he said and did completely different things, they'll support him. And maybe if he changed his name to Meade or Anaya... :v

Det_no posted:

Half these alarmist news articles are reposts from r/Mexico and that place has a whole lot of online fash that operate very similarly to 4chan's /pol/. They are all into playing dumb and spreading fake news.

I spent a little bit of time there during and after the elections. Boy, if you said one good thing about AMLO you're a cultist, but if you post 10 alarmist clickbait articles it's just "sharing the truth that he's trying to cover". It's like r/TheDonald, but in the other direction.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1147931296724856832

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Context for those that dont follow US politics:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1147851537231896576

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
I thought Americans hated fascists?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Polidoro posted:

...have you seen our president?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Polidoro posted:

I'm sorry you were misled

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

We had 1 presidential admin that fought fascism internationally and like a dozen who have actively installed fascists worldwide.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

And that one admin only fought the fash because they were attacked

the US is, for all intents and purposes, a fascist nation

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Is that his way of complimenting AOC? What? Why would he... What? This is the single most surreal news I've seen in a while. I'm trying to grasp at the orange man's logic and failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

He faps to her