Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Like the Paris Cathedral (which was supposed to have pointy roofs on its façade towers but never got them), being partly unfinished is what makes the Strasbourg Cathedral so distinctive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Phlegmish posted:

She's not wrong, but that's what makes them look cool. I'm all about that Gothic style, neoclassical is lame.

I hope that's what you told her, word for word

I mean in the sense that she grew up where churches were domed, and had a minimum of tower like stuff. Spires in general look uninviting to her I guess.
Culture clash is weird and cool.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Grape posted:

My wife having grown up in the Eastern Orthodox world virtually her whole life, upon coming to the US, still sincerely thinks western churches all look kind of evil. Like especially the gothic style that Catholic churches even in the US have, and spires in general. Like instead of houses of god, she thinks they look like places Dracula hangs out.

I mean it's not like the church wasn't an institute used to subjugate and control the masses.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Orange Devil posted:

I mean it's not like the church wasn't an institute used to subjugate and control the masses.

Whoa, cutting edge mind blowing offering right here.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phlegmish posted:

She's not wrong, but that's what makes them look cool. I'm all about that Gothic style, neoclassical is lame.

I hope that's what you told her, word for word
I'm not a fan of Gothic or baroque, too many fiddly bits.

Neoclassical is better, but Egyptian revival and art deco are better than both. I also like the 30s modernist red brick ones like the John Keble Church.

Clearly the superior style for churches is googie though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not a fan of Gothic or baroque, too many fiddly bits.

Neoclassical is better, but Egyptian revival and art deco are better than both. I also like the 30s modernist red brick ones like the John Keble Church.

Clearly the superior style for churches is googie though.

In a lot of cases, the fiddly bits were added much later. This is Leuven city hall:

Those statuettes all date from the 19th century.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bourgie fucks ruined (well, "ruined") a perfectly good building by adding a bunch of gaudy statues. :(

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Grape posted:

Whoa, cutting edge mind blowing offering right here.

Thanks!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's good for light shows, though.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

The border between Belgium and the Netherlands at Baarle-Nassau

:wtc:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cable Guy posted:

The border between Belgium and the Netherlands at Baarle-Nassau

:wtc:
I kinda which we had a movie of the diplomatic discussions.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

NWS that poo poo, that's some hardcore border gore.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

time to annex some roads.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm the sovereign Dutch alley between H1 and H5

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Are H7 and H12 essentially just...a single house?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Blut posted:

Are H7 and H12 essentially just...a single house?

I think I read somewhere that the border runs through a bunch of houses there. Apparently the house is counted as belonging to Belgium or the Netherlands depending on in which country the main door is, and the people living there just bricked up their door and opened up another one when the taxes were more favourable in the other country :v:

fake edit: Just looked it up, I remembered it right... except there's also one house where the border runs exactly through the door which is why it has both a Belgian and a Dutch address

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

It's like that because back in the day they let people decide if they wanted to be Belgian or Dutch. So that led to Dutch enclaves in Belgian enclaves in the Netherlands.

The communities do most things together, cause they're really just 1 community.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

System Metternich posted:

I think I read somewhere that the border runs through a bunch of houses there. Apparently the house is counted as belonging to Belgium or the Netherlands depending on in which country the main door is, and the people living there just bricked up their door and opened up another one when the taxes were more favourable in the other country :v:

fake edit: Just looked it up, I remembered it right... except there's also one house where the border runs exactly through the door which is why it has both a Belgian and a Dutch address

Interesting. I mean, the ingenuity definitely has to be admired. But that micro level of border division seems very much unnecessarily complex for administration purposes. Surely the town/county could have just voted for one country or the other in a referendum.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

System Metternich posted:

Do the people in that house pay taxes for both countries or none?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

nimby posted:

It's like that because back in the day they let people decide if they wanted to be Belgian or Dutch. So that led to Dutch enclaves in Belgian enclaves in the Netherlands.

The communities do most things together, cause they're really just 1 community.

that makes me think of The City and The City, a Mieville story about two different nations superimposed in the same city, each ignoring the others presence through heavy conditioning for fear of breaking the law

it's a neat story and I wonder if this, or another, enclave gore situation inspired it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Peanut Butler posted:

that makes me think of The City and The City, a Mieville story about two different nations superimposed in the same city, each ignoring the others presence through heavy conditioning for fear of breaking the law

it's a neat story and I wonder if this, or another, enclave gore situation inspired it

I definitely want to check that book out, it sounds awesome.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

I kinda which we had a movie of the diplomatic discussions.

There were none, these are straight up feudal borders

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Blut posted:

Interesting. I mean, the ingenuity definitely has to be admired. But that micro level of border division seems very much unnecessarily complex for administration purposes. Surely the town/county could have just voted for one country or the other in a referendum.

Do you know more than like two people?
I think that nowadays it might possible to straighten these borders, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still took 20 years in the courts.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Belgium is just bits of the Netherlands and bits of France randomly mashed together so real countries have some place to fight wars.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blut posted:

Letting the serfs choose who their lords and masters are? You're not making any sort of sense.

No, this is a clear division that will make everything so much simpler. The lord of Brabant gets everything related to the agricultural sector; the lord of Breda gets everything related to industry. This will greatly simplify matters of taxes and trade. Makes a lot more sense than your idea of geographic determinism. I mean, what if Breda taxes glassbowers more than Brabant, would that be fair to the glassbower in Breda's estate? With a sectorial split, no such issues!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
post your favorite enclave/exclave:

(this is H12 on the map up there)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Blut posted:

It doesn't really matter in the context of the Benelux/EU and it's a point of pride for the locals, if anything.

It does make me wonder how they dealt with it before WWII and especially during WWI.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I picture a cruel German occupier glaring ominously at the assembled stalks of wheat; the Belgian uprising shall not begin here.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Peanut President posted:

post your favorite enclave/exclave:

(this is H12 on the map up there)

That farmer's gonna have a hard time if Schengen ever falls apart

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Its too bad that triple enclave in India/Bangladesh got cleared up a few years ago. Those were fun times.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Phlegmish posted:

It does make me wonder how they dealt with it before WWII and especially during WWI.

During WW1, we Belgians were clever and put a listening post there to spy on German transmissions. The Germans knew it was there but couldn't risk taking it down because then they'd violate Dutch neutrality. Which the Dutch could maintain because it was all done in secret on Belgian territory. I doubt the Dutch were happy, but they couldn't go and invade now could they.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Belgium is just bits of the Netherlands and bits of France randomly mashed together so real countries have some place to fight wars.

Ok Baudelaire.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What the gently caress even is that

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

What the gently caress even is that

Rotate it about 130 degrees counterclockwise.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dublish posted:

Rotate it about 130 degrees counterclockwise.

Can't say that did much for me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Can't say that did much for me.

Okay, it's North America.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lycus posted:

Okay, it's North America.

I'll take your word for it :shrug:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'll take your word for it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Mercator! :argh: