Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nuns with Guns posted:

TG is hidden behind the paywall, but he used to post screenshots and links to these threads, sometimes within a couple hours of comments about him being posted.

A significant source on this was when SA caught him running a Twitter puppet (stolen photo and existed only to support Zak) that he deleted minutes after only being identified here.

That was right after Mandy came forward and he was using his typical playbook, assuming he'd be able to rally his people against this victim like he had all his others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Actually, checking now, it looks like the paywall is down on TG right now, but I know I've seen it hidden before, too.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

potatocubed posted:

If you really want to get angry, check out his contribution to the definition of 'gay'.

(Content warning on that one, for exactly what you'd think.)

I'll be honest, while I expected him to be homophobic I didn't expect him to be that virulently homophobic. The man is to the right of Mike loving Pence on LGBTQ issues which takes some effort.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

neaden posted:

I'll be honest, while I expected him to be homophobic I didn't expect him to be that virulently homophobic. The man is to the right of Mike loving Pence on LGBTQ issues which takes some effort.

I'm not really sure why this stuff is presumed to be from Pundit? Much like Zak, he puts some stock in his being the Real True Diversity Man unlike the wicked SJWs, so he usually avoids simpler "gays are bad" language even if he dances around turns of phrase that amount to the same thing.

Then again, there's that time during one of the "DTRPG is going to censor conservatives based on SJW whims" things where he just outright engaged in overt transphobic language as a throwaway insult to some hypothetical DTRPG employee, in public view with his preferred moniker attached. :shrug:

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

Nuns with Guns posted:

Speaking of Pundit, was there ever confirmation whether or not not new print runs of the 5e book have permanately removed all consultant credit, including his? If so, where are those juicy emails he threatened to dropped to ruin Mearls?

Nope. He and noted pants-shitter Zak S. are both still listed. :(

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Arivia posted:

SWORD DREAM

It's difficult to describe how well this name resonates with me. It's real good.

I wish I could get in on that game jam, but I'm gonna get real busy around then.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I don't think it was ever said Pundit would be removed in the first place, except by Pundit for his own scaremongering purposes. He just thought the writing might be on the wall for him, after it took credible accusations of rape to get a token gesture out of WotC, so he preemptively threatened Mearls.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

I don't think it was ever said Pundit would be removed in the first place, except by Pundit for his own scaremongering purposes. He just thought the writing might be on the wall for him, after it took credible accusations of rape to get a token gesture out of WotC, so he preemptively threatened Mearls.

WotC said in a press release that they'd remove Zak from future physical and digital versions of the PHB:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/20/18232181/dungeons-dragons-zak-smith-sabbath-abuse-accusations-players-handbook posted:

“Zak Smith, along with many others, was engaged by Wizards to provide feedback on D&D Next, the playtest which evolved into D&D fifth edition,” Wizards said. “We have not contracted with him since, and regret our choice to do so in 2014. Because of that, we are removing Zak’s credit from future physical printings and digital versions of the Player’s Handbook.”

It looked like their solution temporarily(?) was to delete the block of credits that had all the consultants' thank-yous in it in the PDFs. Nobody said at the time if there would be a more specific edit of Zak's name out later, or if that was the long-term answer.

Johnnie5 posted:

Nope. He and noted pants-shitter Zak S. are both still listed. :(

Weird, were they both re-added then?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 15, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Wait, there are PDFs? What?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

Get with the times, grandpa!

It's a shame* about Zak's patreon, given his Chick-fil-a and post-pants-making GBS threads budgetary woes. Perhaps he could consider a long course of personal reflection.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

moths posted:

A significant source on this was when SA caught him running a Twitter puppet (stolen photo and existed only to support Zak) that he deleted minutes after only being identified here.

That was right after Mandy came forward and he was using his typical playbook, assuming he'd be able to rally his people against this victim like he had all his others.

Ahah yeah I remember that. The fake twitter account wasn't exactly being supportive, but it was being like, "I'm mad and I think maybe Zak is bad and I'm going to ask him questions and let him calmly explain things to dumb angry me." Which Zak was proceeding to do.

Seems like it had to be either Zak or someone here doing a false flag I guess. Also we should not rule out the possibility that Zak left his pants unattended for awhile at GenCon 2017, when a friend of his came over, put them on, and shat them unbeknownst. Zak returned and put them back on, leading to this rumor about him at the Chick-Fil-A wearing pants full of (presumably his) poo poo.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I hadn't heard of the *DREAM stuff before reading this thread, it's really cool

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Actually, checking now, it looks like the paywall is down on TG right now, but I know I've seen it hidden before, too.
IIRC it's just behind the normal paywall that goes up and down sometimes. I think the schedule is automated? It's not something admins have access to AFAIK.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I know the Origins awards have been poo poo for years, but seriously, wtf...

https://twitter.com/wizkidsgames/status/1140064630208946177

Also Vampire 5th won best RPG, against ohh, wait, actually nothing stands out on that list, was there nothing else released last year that was any good?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

Get with the times, grandpa!

No but seriously are they actually selling PDFs (of 5e, at least) somewhere? Because that's news to me.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

i think theve been selling pdfs since the start of 5e

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The PDF that the consultant credits were removed from was the free basic rules thing that was always available in PDF.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

5e not being available in pdf is the dumbest thing.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The things sold as hardcover books do not have legally-available PDFs though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rand Brittain posted:

There are PDFs of the Basic Rules, and there always have been since the game was released.

There are no official releases of the PDFs of the full books, such as the PHB / DMG / MM.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
5e is a loving mess. Even at Pride yesterday I ended up telling people about how trash it is, it's really fascinating. (Note: this was a pre-existing group of gamer friends, I didn't just kramer in and start yelling about Zak making GBS threads his pants.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

PST posted:

Also Vampire 5th won best RPG, against ohh, wait, actually nothing stands out on that list, was there nothing else released last year that was any good?

I'm pretty sure Wrath and Glory, Witcher, Conan, WHFRP4, Runequest, and Kult were all released or re-released in 2018.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

moths posted:

I'm pretty sure Wrath and Glory, Witcher, Conan, WHFRP4, Runequest, and Kult were all released or re-released in 2018.

None of those were very good though.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
On the Indie side, Spire, Scum and Villainy, The King is Dead, Dialect, and my own Legacy 2e were released in 2018, and I’d wager at least one of those is a better game than V5. Possibly, all of them. But that’s the thing with these big awards - it’s remarkable when a game that’s not from a huge company or a storied IP even charts, let alone wins.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

neaden posted:

None of those were very good though.

Maybe, but relative to Vampire 5th edition?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

All awards are pointless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

gradenko_2000 posted:

There are PDFs of the Basic Rules, and there always have been since the game was released.

There are no official releases of the PDFs of the full books, such as the PHB / DMG / MM.
I have an uncle at TSR and he says it's okay to pirate them as long as you delete them within 24 hours if you don't own the book.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Andrast posted:

All awards are pointless

Yet gaming awards consistently manage to have negative points.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

moths posted:

Yet gaming awards consistently manage to have negative points.

The Origins Awards are voted on by the attendees, and Origins isn't as populous/hardcore as Gencon so ymmv.

On the other hand, Vlaada got inducted into their Hall of Fame so

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I literally and sincerely think it would be a good thing if the Something Awful TG community had its own games award.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rand Brittain posted:

I literally and sincerely think it would be a good thing if the Something Awful TG community had its own games award.

Nobody outside of SA really gives that much of a poo poo about SA, so an award that only people using this forum cared about would be pretty valueless. As pointless as folks here think things like the ENnies or Origin awards may be, they are nonetheless considered a mark of prestige that designers can put on their books and ad copy and help drive sales which is why people want them. I doubt the same would really be true of a Something Awful Traditional Games award.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I think that's it - SA isn't that known for RPG stuff, so who cares. Though I have considered the idea of "The Awfuls" last time the conversation went around to how poo poo the Ennies are.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think for that kind of thing your goal needs to not be "become more popular and influential than the Ennies," but instead to be "be a better example of how awards should work than the other awards people have actually heard of."

I feel like putting together a detailed, insightful, and funny summary of the games that came out in a given year, and an examination of which ones contributed something new to the hobby, would be fun to read and worth doing for its own sake.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Honestly, people outside of SA not caring about SA isn't a reason not to do this. You don't need to replicate the ENnies or whatever, just hold a vote once a year. The anime forum does this for best show of the year and it works well, and it's cool to see what little-known stuff people enjoyed.

The biggest obstacle would be getting an exhaustive list of games that came out in a given year.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
an awful, meandering podcast run by a guy known primarily for firing his co-host, replacing him with his wife, and then having his wife divorce him because he cheated on her with a board game illustrator, has enough clout that board game companies slap his goty awards and runner up awards on their games, and people genuinely discuss the merits of those awards and where they should go.

i am sure that the SA rpg awards could easily become at least as influential.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I feel like an SA TG award would only ever be extremely up its own rear end. "A bunch of people from a gaming forum most people haven't heard of gave each other reacharounds awards for making better games than D&D."

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Better to do have a good award people don't notice or take seriously than just bitch endless and do nothing.

RPG awards are always disappointing, SA could definitely do better.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

8one6 posted:

I feel like an SA TG award would only ever be extremely up its own rear end. "A bunch of people from a gaming forum most people haven't heard of gave each other reacharounds awards for making better games than D&D."

Could be fun if we owned it, though.

"And the award for the best forums-based RPG awards goes to... the Goonies! Fellows I did not see this coming."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

8one6 posted:

I don't think SA TG awards would be any worse than most other awards. There would be a lot less rapist shitlords who poo poo their pants winning awards and I think that's admirable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
we've tried it before, no one wants to do the work and the people that do want to do the work are not the ones who should be.