Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
almost seems like they only test balance with 100 people that all play melee only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Really, frontline would probably be improved if they just up and removed all non-thrown ranged weapons. It's one thing in like TDM and skirmish where you can reasonably flank or push through to have a go at archers, but in many frontline maps it's often quite possible for archers to plop themselves down in places that you can't really reasonably clear out without suiciding your way through the enemy respawns. And that turns it just back into the old sniper problem, where you can't really actively do anything about them without being one yourself.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sometimes I dream of servers without horses or archers, but I should probably just stop playing on 64-people servers. For some reason all the official ones have the max amount of players.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

almost seems like they only test balance with 100 people that all play melee only

the dream

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i am legitimately hoping we get someone who tries to defend the ballista on Crossroads

Well, actually, if 40 people throw firebombs at it, it's killable :smug:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Mercifully, the official Oceanic servers only have a 48 player cap. Which is actually somewhat strange considering how popular the game is down here.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Bloody Pom posted:

Mercifully, the official Oceanic servers only have a 48 player cap. Which is actually somewhat strange considering how popular the game is down here.

All the official servers on every continent are 24v24. It's kinda weird that they broadcast it as 32v32, no one is actually playing that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TheAardvark posted:

All the official servers on every continent are 24v24. It's kinda weird that they broadcast it as 32v32, no one is actually playing that.

Wait, what?

It's midnight here or you'd see a bunch of 63/64 ones.

If 48-only is due to a setting you're using, I'm interested in that, I'm starting to think 64 is just too much.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Wait, what?

It's midnight here or you'd see a bunch of 63/64 ones.

If 48-only is due to a setting you're using, I'm interested in that, I'm starting to think 64 is just too much.

Huh, guess it must vary by region for who knows what reason. In the US Central region I've literally never seen an official frontline server at 64.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Triternion are Europe-based IIRC so that may be why the bigger servers are mostly in Europe. Could also have something to do with active player count or hardware availability.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I wish there were official 48p EU servers, 64p is absolutely the main source of the game's performance issues in my experience.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

All of the official west coast servers are 48. Maybe it's just because I'm used to it, but I can't imagine more people in these maps...maybe Camp, but that's about it.

For my daily weapon love: Try out the Bastard Sword with a Buckler. It's a slightlyslower Rapier, with less damage to unarmored heads, but more damage everywhere else, and without all the hate.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

cerebral posted:

All of the official west coast servers are 48. Maybe it's just because I'm used to it, but I can't imagine more people in these maps...maybe Camp, but that's about it.

For my daily weapon love: Try out the Bastard Sword with a Buckler. It's a slightlyslower Rapier, with less damage to unarmored heads, but more damage everywhere else, and without all the hate.

I like messer with the braggart blade and a targe. Size matters :smug:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm not sure how seriously I believe this but I think the game might be better if all weapons were a three hit kill minimum. That would kind of homogenize many of the weapons to three hits either way unless they needlessly nerfed a bunch of stuff which wouldn't be great, but still.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Not being able to equip lvl 3 head to toe with a Zweihander is harshing my GiantDad fetish.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
That screenshot is blowing my mind. None of the US servers are 32v32.. I can't even imagine what that's like. We might be playing totally different games.

Edit: Do you get in to 32v32 games when you queue quick play? is that the default in europe?

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 17, 2019

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

McSpanky posted:

I like messer with the braggart blade and a targe. Size matters :smug:

I've been bouncing between the Bastard and the Messer for the last couple of days, and I don't think I can pick a favorite yet. The thing I like about the Bastard over the Messer is the extra damage its stabs do to tier 2 and 3 helmets. I find this to be very helpful in reaching out and dropping tough opponents in the middle of a scrum when they're riposting off of everyone else.

I keep switching between Poleaxe, Billhook, Bastard, Messer, Battle Axe, Handaxe and Maul. I feel like I can swap into each of these and end up at the top of scoreboard without having to change my play style up too much even though these weapons all seem to be on the opposite ends of the spectrum. If I end up against a team that I'm struggling against with a particular weapon type, I can switch to its opposite and that seems to solve most of my problems.

Maul is just disgusting, and it's the one weapon I will stop using if the other team is getting dominated. Once you get used to keeping those side swings at head height and are able to drag or accel it, you just become death incarnate, maybe not so much in a 1v1 against a good opponent, but in a scrum you can just clean house.

The fact that I feel the need to play pretty-pretty princess with every weapon I use is what keeps me poor.

cerebral fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 17, 2019

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Shumagorath posted:

Not being able to equip lvl 3 head to toe with a Zweihander is harshing my GiantDad fetish.

Try coordinating loadouts with a Steam-Squire.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

cerebral posted:

The fact that I feel the need to play pretty-pretty princess with every weapon I use is what keeps me poor.

Same, I have two armor sets that I mostly bought a month ago and since it's just been weapon customization. Although I do manage to keep costs a bit down since I usually pick up the mid-cost stuff because I figure most people either stick with default or splurge on the most expensive gaudy poo poo and I like my customization to look a tiny bit unique.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I hope they come out with some sort of newbie servers. Maybe sub level 20 only? It cannot be fun trying to learn the nuances of this game right now when the skill differential is so high.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Take Scavenger and pilfer one from one of the hundreds of default zweihander babies in every game.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

cerebral posted:

I hope they come out with some sort of newbie servers. Maybe sub level 20 only? It cannot be fun trying to learn the nuances of this game right now when the skill differential is so high.

Definitely. Hell, even when I come back after not playing for a week or a few days I'll often feel like I've unlearned everything about the game. I can't imagine being the poor bastard buying the game right now.

Of course, it would be neat if the matchmaking was actually, y'know, matchmaking instead of just "randomly pick an open official server."

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just had a 700 and 600 loss on Taiga in a row. Why the hell is revoting the same map even an option? And also lol @ the dev team just switching taiga from red sided to insanely blue sided.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TheAardvark posted:

That screenshot is blowing my mind. None of the US servers are 32v32.. I can't even imagine what that's like. We might be playing totally different games.

Edit: Do you get in to 32v32 games when you queue quick play? is that the default in europe?

I don't use quick play but all of the official servers in Western Europe are 32v32. I think it's a population density thing.

As to what it's like, it's usually a total clusterfuck. I'm going to start seeking out custom 48-player servers from now on.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Really, frontline would probably be improved if they just up and removed all non-thrown ranged weapons. It's one thing in like TDM and skirmish where you can reasonably flank or push through to have a go at archers, but in many frontline maps it's often quite possible for archers to plop themselves down in places that you can't really reasonably clear out without suiciding your way through the enemy respawns. And that turns it just back into the old sniper problem, where you can't really actively do anything about them without being one yourself.

No. We gotta keep medieval Battlefield realistic by keeping all the insanely unfun bows and ballistas

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
It's almost like fun is subjective. I enjoy all the weapons. My favorite build is a 2/2/0 recurve and arming sword. Just walk behind the group, snipe dudes running away, stab them if they come at you.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I don't use quick play but all of the official servers in Western Europe are 32v32. I think it's a population density thing.

As to what it's like, it's usually a total clusterfuck. I'm going to start seeking out custom 48-player servers from now on.

I imagine it's just an oversight since the dev team is small and iirc mostly in Europe. Population density doesn't really make any sense.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

In my relentless search for masochistic pain, I sometimes wade through the infected cesspit that is the official forums, and I found some bits of info that could be of interest:

Jax posted:

mod tools will come but it's not a super quick process. Right now main priorities are 1v1 ranked, Feitoria, and general polish with some smaller content additions. The mod SDK is the main long-term priority though.

this from the community manager, posted yesterday.

So I guess we can expect another big patch with a new map + maybe even new Duel mode, which I'm totally excited about. Then, a little more long-term, mod tools!

And now I go wash my eyes with bleach because everything else from that forum is cancerous.

Edit: until crossroads and new taiga, everybody was crying that Red was overpowered because it had 90% of the maps in its favor. Now people are crying that Blue is overpowered. In my experience, the team with best cooperation and/or the best overall players (those that can chump on 7-8 enemies per life) will win.

Also everybody was crying both against and in favor of shields and horses. If you only listened to the "hardcore" community on the official forums, everybody would be using the same 3 weapons on 1 map, and it would be illegal to have lutes, shields, 1handers, ballistas, horses, rapiers, spears, or that little something called "fun"

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 17, 2019

Parachute
May 18, 2003
im completely on board with 3/3/2 + heavy hand axe + javelin + bandage + fireproof. it is by far the most successful and fun loadout i've played with thus far. my survivability has gone up a lot i think because of being able to withdraw for 2 seconds in a fight to bandage, too. (these are almost too good, imo).

also i love archers in frontline because you can just see the look of panic on their face when you are rushing them down and stop halfway to throw a javelin in their throat instead.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Parachute posted:

im completely on board with 3/3/2 + heavy hand axe + javelin + bandage + fireproof. it is by far the most successful and fun loadout i've played with thus far. my survivability has gone up a lot i think because of being able to withdraw for 2 seconds in a fight to bandage, too. (these are almost too good, imo).

also i love archers in frontline because you can just see the look of panic on their face when you are rushing them down and stop halfway to throw a javelin in their throat instead.

I find the point is also pretty good in ranger too, make that javelin REALLY count.

Not ranger, huntsman or whatever, the one that fucks up archers :V

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Don’t forget the other side of the sniper equation in battlefield; medics. I hate defending ranged players but without instant revived, they can maybe accomplish something. Just very slowly... with a lot of friendly fire...

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Its funny when you corner one and have your full attention on them and you just slap aside their arrows as you walk them down like 'you gon' learn today'

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Motherfucker posted:

Its funny when you corner one and have your full attention on them and you just slap aside their arrows as you walk them down like 'you gon' learn today'

Then they whip out an arming sword in the time it takes you to wind up your swing and loving blender your face.

...not that I've had that happen to me nope.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Yeah some maps might favour one side, but I think now I have a reasonable chance at winning when picking either side for any map.

The only thing I really dread now is pushing/defending the drat cart on Camp. What a slog

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I've seen a lot of that 40k skin for spears now. Jesus. :stare: one or two people with that, sure, but there's been one a server at least for a few days.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Ravenfood posted:

I've seen a lot of that 40k skin for spears now. Jesus. :stare: one or two people with that, sure, but there's been one a server at least for a few days.

I'm one of them, but also there's one stuck in the ground in Camp that you can pick up

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I've been saving up for that expensive painted maximillian armor. I wonder if any of the painted armors have patterns you can select? I've got the cheapest one and you can't. I've popped in this thread here and there with my thought-of-the-week about this dumb swordgame I'm addicted to, but lately I've just realized how much I like the other gamemodes besides duel :) I got this game after another chivalry duels kick, and so the majority of my far-too-numerous hours have been spent dueling. Turns out, frontline is actually Very Fun and worth playing - I tend to run into the middle of poo poo with my 3/3/3 longsword build and it almost always results in me getting stabbed a whole bunch from every direction, but on the rare occasion I can kick in my reflexes and start parrying, chambering and hitting everybody, it's great fun. Leading a pack of teammates to death and glory is also great fun - spawned in and saw my team struggling to push over a bridge in Taiga, but I quickly charged ahead and started tearing through the reds. Even though it only lasted a moment, it was fun seeing a crowd of enemies shift from attacking me relentlessly to backing away in unison like somebody threw a firepot.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Telltolin posted:

Turns out, frontline is actually Very Fun and worth playing - I tend to run into the middle of poo poo with my 3/3/3 longsword build and it almost always results in me getting stabbed a whole bunch from every direction, but on the rare occasion I can kick in my reflexes and start parrying, chambering and hitting everybody, it's great fun. Leading a pack of teammates to death and glory is also great fun - spawned in and saw my team struggling to push over a bridge in Taiga, but I quickly charged ahead and started tearing through the reds. Even though it only lasted a moment, it was fun seeing a crowd of enemies shift from attacking me relentlessly to backing away in unison like somebody threw a firepot.

This perfectly sums up how I feel about Frontlines. It is a real rush to feel like you're a sword master and to see the tide of battle shift as people recoil from you in horror. Huge ego trip, and not something I've experienced in many other games.

It's a lot easier for someone to go from Duels to Frontline and be good at it, rather than going from Frontline to Duels. The most important thing you have to add into your repertoire of moves for Frontline is target switching your riposte. Never aim for the guy that hit you in a group, drag the riposte into someone else, preferably at head height, preferably someone new, rocking a premade class, and you'll cut through not only his head, but probably the guy next to him too. Rinse and repeat until there is only one enemy left who will slowly try to back away from you, praying that help from the respawn will reach him in time to save him from the nightmare he now faces.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

TheAardvark posted:

this sounds perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

Sometimes I dream of servers without horses or archers, but I should probably just stop playing on 64-people servers. For some reason all the official ones have the max amount of players.

I wish there were 48/64 man TDM servers since I think that's what people actually want.