Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So if I wanted to point handbrake at my movies folder and tell it to go ham, what would be the go to settings these days? h264 mp4s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FCKGW posted:

It's got a couple buttons and line numbers (which you can disable) but it's as basic as you can get while still powerful if you want to explore the menus a bit

Might have to finally give it a whirl, thanks.

It just boggles my mind that a yes/no dialog either doesn't freeze the process completely, or it doesn't think "maybe I should let it save and keep a copy of the original file just in case".

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Warbird posted:

So if I wanted to point handbrake at my movies folder and tell it to go ham, what would be the go to settings these days? h264 mp4s?

h265 if your playback device supports it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'm not sure. We have a pretty new Sony Android TV and most other playback would be done either on the Plex iOS app or in Chrome windows.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do a test and check Tautulli or the inbuilt Plex dashboard to see if it’s having to transcode video.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bonzo posted:

h265 if your playback device supports it.

With the caveat that if your playback device doesn't, or you need to reduce bandwidth while streaming remotely, you will need a lot more CPU on the server to keep up.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FCKGW posted:

It's got a couple buttons and line numbers (which you can disable) but it's as basic as you can get while still powerful if you want to explore the menus a bit

I actually use np++ a lot for work to do "batch editing" on a source file with regexes. That or egrep/perl.

There's a lot of depth there if you want to dig into it, and it's really great as a minimal editor with source highlighting and stuff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IOwnCalculus posted:

With the caveat that if your playback device doesn't, or you need to reduce bandwidth while streaming remotely, you will need a lot more CPU on the server to keep up.

I was able to transcode 1080p h265 on my 2012 Mac Mini ok when I used an ATV 4 before I got my 4K. No chance in hell for 4K footage of course. I’m the only user on that machine too, and it was local.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Might have to finally give it a whirl, thanks.

It just boggles my mind that a yes/no dialog either doesn't freeze the process completely, or it doesn't think "maybe I should let it save and keep a copy of the original file just in case".

I dunno. My np++ has a shameful amount of tabs that aren’t even saved to files, just notes I’ve taken that live as unnamed buffers. They persist across reboots. I’ve even killed the process while typing and it does a great job of keeping everything.

I use it as a notepad replacement, not a programming editor, but supposedly it’s fine for that too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was able to transcode 1080p h265 on my 2012 Mac Mini ok when I used an ATV 4 before I got my 4K. No chance in hell for 4K footage of course. I’m the only user on that machine too, and it was local.

4k 265 transcodes make my dual E5-2667s hurt. It can do one of those and maybe a small handful of 1080p to go with it, but not two.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

how does transcoding from h264 to 265 go in terms of quality?

if i have some high quality rips of stuff and i just want to reduce the file size, will 265 do that and not impact the quality too much?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Yep I almost popped a monocle when it worked. It was annoying me so bad and I guess I just got fed up and tried something random.

Thanks again for mentioning the PlayStation eye cam... Got mine, plugged in to the Shield and it works great! Even works for Google assistant once you select the assistant icon on the main screen.

It's nice to have voice search again.

Of note for anyone else who gets one. It only seems to work if it is plugged into the Shield when it's booted up. If you plug it in with the Shield already on, you have to restart before it detects it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah I snagged one too for $6 from Amazon and it's been working great.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

I use HEVC because of quality and file size, but this is going to depend on your sources (are these SD, FHD, UHD, etc.?) and your server's transcoding ability. FHD or lesser video should be easy to transcode for almost any decent modern CPU (basically anything that's not an Atom or low-end old AMD CPU) and you can use hardware encoding via QuickSync, NVENC, or whatever AMD's stuff is called.

For reference, I have mostly DVD-quality content transcoded to HEVC and it works great for my setup. My limited FHD video is mostly AVC from BRDs.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I forgot to mention this, but I transcoded some of my HD/FHD AVC files to HEVC, dropping the resolution a bit in the process; this was mostly for either some movies that I had to get in higher quality than it needs to be but I also reprocessed some sports games that don't need all those audio tracks and won't be watched in full so don't need to be in their original quality. The initial transcodes took a long time as expected, but the resultant files are of excellent quality and the server seems to be able to transcode as necessary, and I saved tens of GB of space. Those games were like around 3 hours each and the files were roughly 30-40 GB, but were only HD (720p) surprisingly and had 6 audio streams (national broadcast, home/away radio, but two of each for some reason?) They got chopped down to like <10 GB each, which is quite satisfactory considering I'm not going to watch them in full but might want to skip around for the highlights at some point in the future.

Laserface posted:

how does transcoding from h264 to 265 go in terms of quality?

if i have some high quality rips of stuff and i just want to reduce the file size, will 265 do that and not impact the quality too much?

HEVC (h.265) has better (more sophisticated) compression than AVC (h.264) so it has better quality at lower file sizes, at the cost of increased CPU overhead. As I wrote above if you transcoded from AVC to HEVC you would likely realize file size savings while maintaining the original quality, but it may take a long time to do the initial transcode, depending on your hardware and exactly how high-res the original files are. After that, the concern is as above, whether or not your CPU can handle transcoding the new HEVC files on-demend via Plex.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Atomizer posted:

I use HEVC because of quality and file size, but this is going to depend on your sources (are these SD, FHD, UHD, etc.?) and your server's transcoding ability. FHD or lesser video should be easy to transcode for almost any decent modern CPU (basically anything that's not an Atom or low-end old AMD CPU) and you can use hardware encoding via QuickSync, NVENC, or whatever AMD's stuff is called.

It’s a late aughts laptop so a low range i5 iirc. That’s just for the actual streaming as I’ll be pointing my desktop PC at the NAS for the actual blanket conversion; it’ll still likely take for drat ever though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Atomizer posted:

For reference, I have mostly DVD-quality content transcoded to HEVC and it works great for my setup. My limited FHD video is mostly AVC from BRDs.

I forgot to mention this, but I transcoded some of my HD/FHD AVC files to HEVC, dropping the resolution a bit in the process; this was mostly for either some movies that I had to get in higher quality than it needs to be but I also reprocessed some sports games that don't need all those audio tracks and won't be watched in full so don't need to be in their original quality. The initial transcodes took a long time as expected, but the resultant files are of excellent quality and the server seems to be able to transcode as necessary, and I saved tens of GB of space. Those games were like around 3 hours each and the files were roughly 30-40 GB, but were only HD (720p) surprisingly and had 6 audio streams (national broadcast, home/away radio, but two of each for some reason?) They got chopped down to like <10 GB each, which is quite satisfactory considering I'm not going to watch them in full but might want to skip around for the highlights at some point in the future.

HEVC (h.265) has better (more sophisticated) compression than AVC (h.264) so it has better quality at lower file sizes, at the cost of increased CPU overhead. As I wrote above if you transcoded from AVC to HEVC you would likely realize file size savings while maintaining the original quality, but it may take a long time to do the initial transcode, depending on your hardware and exactly how high-res the original files are. After that, the concern is as above, whether or not your CPU can handle transcoding the new HEVC files on-demend via Plex.

My TV is HEVC native so theres no overhead to transcode for it, but yeah my Plex Server is not capable of transcoding it (ReadyNAS RN204) for playback.

my PC is a 2011 iMac so its probably not fantastic at the actual transcoding either, so I might just wait til I upgrade one or the other before embarking on voyage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is Plex on a current gen fire stick tolerable these days? Changing cable provider and there’s no Uverse app for Roku which is what I use in the bedroom so ordered a Firestick for that. Only one USB port on my tv and I doubt a splitter cable would provide both the power needed to run side by side, so either have to keep changing cable plugged in or move over completely to the stick.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It is extremely rare that I ever use Plex to watch something when I'm not home. But recently I watched a few shows while away and am a little puzzled at the transcoding. I watched through Chrome, with video streaming quality set to 3 Mpbs, 720p. How come it dumped the quality on Kim's Convenience (on multiple episodes it looks like this) so much but mostly hit the target on Black Mirror?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Black Mirror was passed through with no video transcoding at all. Looks like for some reason the other one was set as 1.5Mbps 480p, which could maybe be if you had adaptive streaming turned on and limited bandwidth?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

phosdex posted:

It is extremely rare that I ever use Plex to watch something when I'm not home. But recently I watched a few shows while away and am a little puzzled at the transcoding. I watched through Chrome, with video streaming quality set to 3 Mpbs, 720p. How come it dumped the quality on Kim's Convenience (on multiple episodes it looks like this) so much but mostly hit the target on Black Mirror?

Are you a plex pass sub? If so, \do you have a bitrate limit on remote streams on?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plex has the lifetime subs on sale for $99 with promo code PLEXDAD

https://www.plex.tv/plex-pass/

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

teagone posted:

Are you a plex pass sub? If so, \do you have a bitrate limit on remote streams on?

I do have a plex pass, bitrate limit is set to original, no limit. And I did not have the adaptive quality thing on. Bandwidth should be good on both ends, gigabit fiber at home and whatever we have at work.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

phosdex posted:

I do have a plex pass, bitrate limit is set to original, no limit. And I did not have the adaptive quality thing on. Bandwidth should be good on both ends, gigabit fiber at home and whatever we have at work.

In Plex settings under Web Client Quality, set Internet Streaming quality to Maximum. If your server has gigabit upload, there's no reason to limit any remote app's bitrate to 3 Mbps (edit: unless the remote client/app's internet is poo poo). Any remote stream should be able to direct play all video streams at original quality. The web client will always transcode audio streams to AAC, but that really has no effect on server resources.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 17, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I finally signed up for Plex because I'm sick of my DVD collection collecting dust and cobwebs. This isn't specifically a Plex question but is the best way to back up this collection to directly rip from HandBrake to the right filetype or rip the DVD first with something else and then transcode with HandBrake?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It has been a long time since I've ripped anything but my personal experience is that Handbrake sometimes has trouble with random DVDs. I usually use something like MakeMKV to just do a straight rip first and then transcode as needed using Handbrake or ffmpeg.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
Anybody else using Jellyfin yet? It's an Emby fork that's completely free, no charges of any kind, and they've made huge development progress in the past 6 months, including fixing a lot of old Emby bugs. The Android app just went up on the Play store. It's not quite as polished as Plex, but even as a Lifetime Pass holder, I'm finding myself using it more often than Plex these days (I just run both). Terrible name, great software.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

insularis posted:

Anybody else using Jellyfin yet? It's an Emby fork that's completely free, no charges of any kind, and they've made huge development progress in the past 6 months, including fixing a lot of old Emby bugs. The Android app just went up on the Play store. It's not quite as polished as Plex, but even as a Lifetime Pass holder, I'm finding myself using it more often than Plex these days (I just run both). Terrible name, great software.

I remember when the emby developer basically taunted people for complaining that he was taking it proprietary. Then deleted the issue as "too heated".

Good to see the project is moving along without him.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I was waiting to try it when they released a Shield version of the server.

Honestly I was fine with Kodi but I wanted to access my stuff while travelling so Plex took care of that.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

It has been a long time since I've ripped anything but my personal experience is that Handbrake sometimes has trouble with random DVDs. I usually use something like MakeMKV to just do a straight rip first and then transcode as needed using Handbrake or ffmpeg.

During the later half of "peak DVD". Many of the studios started screwing with the DVD structure in ways that would prevent ripping apps from working correctly, but still work fine in DVD players. This is likely why you had trouble with some DVDs. Certain studios where pretty pervasive with it... Sony being probably the worst offender. This crap would sometimes cause problems on actual DVD and BluRay players too. Sometimes these DVDs even came with a bit of fine print on the DVD case stating "this disc is designed for playback only in a DVD player and may not play correctly on a PC, Mac or game console"

This is why apps like "AnyDVD" came along.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Love when companies give zero thought to the experience of their user base in a futile attempt to thwart the inevitable.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

stevewm posted:

During the later half of "peak DVD". Many of the studios started screwing with the DVD structure in ways that would prevent ripping apps from working correctly, but still work fine in DVD players. This is likely why you had trouble with some DVDs. Certain studios where pretty pervasive with it... Sony being probably the worst offender. This crap would sometimes cause problems on actual DVD and BluRay players too. Sometimes these DVDs even came with a bit of fine print on the DVD case stating "this disc is designed for playback only in a DVD player and may not play correctly on a PC, Mac or game console"

This is why apps like "AnyDVD" came along.

HA! I was having trouble last night with my copy of The Natural. At first the computer wouldn't even see it, then once I popped it out and back, it saw it, then HandBrake was taking forever to even read it.

*Looks up The Natural*
"Hmmmm, released by TriStar Pictures."
*Looks up TriStar Pictures*
"Hmmmm, owned by Sony Pictures."

That explains it!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Mahoning posted:

HA! I was having trouble last night with my copy of The Natural. At first the computer wouldn't even see it, then once I popped it out and back, it saw it, then HandBrake was taking forever to even read it.

Yeah, that is a pretty good sign its one of those DVDs.

The ole AnyDVD app injected itself as a filter driver between Windows and the DVD drive. It would fix the screwed up structure of these DVDs on the fly as they where accessed so that ripping apps and software DVD players would have no issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARccOS_protection was often found on Sony's releases along with releases from their subsidiaries.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 17, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Love when companies give zero thought to the experience of their user base in a futile attempt to thwart the inevitable.

Ironically these changes often screwed up playback on PS2 consoles. The console which played a significant part in DVD becoming popular in the first place. Way to go Sony!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I finally signed up for Plex because I'm sick of my DVD collection collecting dust and cobwebs. This isn't specifically a Plex question but is the best way to back up this collection to directly rip from HandBrake to the right filetype or rip the DVD first with something else and then transcode with HandBrake?

I've been doing just this for a few years now. You'll want to use MakeMKV first to do the rip for two reasons, then Handbrake for the transcode. The reasons you'll want to do the rips separately are: MakeMKV does this very well, and usually flawlessly, and you can simultaneously rip discs as fast as possible while they transcode in the background.

If you just used Handbrake to rip & transcode, you could only process one disc at a time, and that would take as much time as necessary to transcode (so, roughly real-time with my settings.) With MakeMKV you can rip a disc every, say, 15 minutes, and then as soon as you get that first set of files you can queue it up in Handbrake. Then you repeat those two steps as fast as possible (with the transcoding taking however much time it needs.)

MakeMKV will pull the disc contents which are generally encoded with MPEG-1/2, which are inefficient compared to modern codecs like AVC and HEVC. It's definitely worth transcoding because you'll get files down to around 1/3 of their original size.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mahoning posted:

Honestly, the best and fastest method of backing up your collection is :filez: and just not rip anything.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

Honestly, the best and fastest method of backing up your collection is :filez: and just not rip anything.

Not when your lovely ISP has a data cap it’s not.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I think I have this Handbrake stuff about worked out now. Is frame rate anything to be concerned with or can I safely just have it be the same as source and call it a day?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 18, 2019

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Warbird posted:

I think I have this Handbrake stuff about worked out now. Is frame rate anything to be concerned with or can I safely just have it be the same as source and call it a day?

I just leave it same-as-source. It's worth digging into the options for Handbrake. For example, I like changing the defaults for audio and subtitles quite a bit.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Upon further research it appears nothing I have supports H265 to begin with, so meh. I think the new Plex iOS player might, but I can't get a straight answer from my quick google, so off to H264 we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Upon further research it appears nothing I have supports H265 to begin with, so meh. I think the new Plex iOS player might, but I can't get a straight answer from my quick google, so off to H264 we go.

Even so, if your server can transcode from HEVC you could still use it for the file size savings, especially if storage is a concern. I did a comparison not too long ago, and I think the difference was 10-20% between the same file going to AVC and HEVC. So depending on just how much content you have, it could be the difference between saving a TB or two and having to add another HDD just for a little extra space.