Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Farecoal posted:

why does whismur have a butthole

to poop with!!! idiot!!!! :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Farecoal posted:

It's an audio cable port.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Apple removed it, though. Such courage.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Saoshyant posted:

Yup, that's gone. They have this new Dynamax thing that is just making one mon gigantic for a few turns(?). It's literally the base model amplified, so no new designs in that regard.

Supposedly, there's more to this Dynamax thing they haven't shown yet, but eh.

3 turns to be exact. And during those three turns, every move essentially becomes a Z-Move. So if you got tackle, or any normal type attacking move, it turns into Max Strike, a 130 move that lowers the opponent's speed tack.

https://twitter.com/pokebeach_wpm/status/1138607400200445952

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

3 turns to be exact. And during those three turns, every move essentially becomes a Z-Move. So if you got tackle, or any normal type attacking move, it turns into Max Strike, a 130 move that lowers the opponent's speed tack.

looks like whether the move is special or physical is based off the original modified move, or at least it seems that way based on Max Strike being physical in one pic and special in the other

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Do these have fixed damage or are they based off the original moves' power like Z-moves?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Do we know if Dynamaxing boosts stats? Because I wouldn't be worried about losing Megas and not being able to use your favorite Pokemon anymore then.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

RatHat posted:

Do these have fixed damage or are they based off the original moves' power like Z-moves?

I guess we're not sure yet
https://www.pokebeach.com/2019/06/new-pokemon-yamper-electric-and-impidimp-dark-fairy-revealed

Grokey had Uproar and Slam, which are 90 and 85 damage.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dias posted:

Do we know if Dynamaxing boosts stats? Because I wouldn't be worried about losing Megas and not being able to use your favorite Pokemon anymore then.

Stat boosts weren't all that megas were, though. And even if it did make up for it the super limited turncount makes it really bad for pokemon that required their megas in order to be good

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the most tedious response to the new developments are all the cool kids saying they don't understand why anyone even cares about the old mons

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That's a poo poo response anyway since we don't know which Pokemon are in or out. I'm on team "no national Dex is fine" btw.

Also Dynamax seems visually interesting but so mechanically boring. At least Z-moves had the "when's it gonna come out" threat to it and the potential to whiff if it got protected. A mega evo-ish boost and three Z-moves seems way more difficult to deal with.

It's probably gonna be cool as hell in the anime though if they do more with it than "they Dynamax'd so I gotta Dynamax."

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Farecoal posted:

the same reason bonsley does

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Millennials love buttholes

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Saoshyant posted:

Yup, that's gone. They have this new Dynamax thing that is just making one mon gigantic for a few turns(?). It's literally the base model amplified, so no new designs in that regard.

The whole reasons megas were cool was because they breathed new life into pokemon. Dynamax can be used on every Pokemon so there's no incentive to use oddballs like Pinsir or Mawile now. They had great megas, but now they're back to being trash.

Thanks Gamefreak :sigh:

Dias posted:

You don't know much about megas if you think stats were all they were. Megas redistributed stats to make Pokemon more minmax and also gave them new abilities and typings. Pinsir became bug/flying, one of the worst types in existence, but got on an insane attack and speed boost paired with a bonkers ability. It made him into an amazing glass canon and I loved it since ever since I was little I wanted Pinsir to be good.

Now he's trash again. Why dynamax Pinsir when another pokemon can get the same boost and use it better?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 17, 2019

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

loving lol at people having a “grief response” to a shrunken Pokédex

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's okay to care about things, especially when they've been a part of your life since you can remember.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vegetable posted:

loving lol at people having a “grief response” to a shrunken Pokédex

Yeah gently caress caring about stuff :rolleyes:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m going to miss Mega Ampharos. That hair could make a Wooloo jealous.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The entire loving franchise is based on the idea of people having an emotional reaction to Pokemon. The previous generation introduced a mechanic where you could clean up your Pokemon and give it candy after every battle

"They're just lines of code in a videogame" OK, so that why you personally don't like Pokemon, but please learn literally anything about how humans respond to art or fiction before trying to generalize your reactions as correct

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Internet Kraken posted:

The whole reasons megas were cool was because they breathed new life into pokemon. Dynamax can be used on every Pokemon so there's no incentive to use oddballs like Pinsir or Mawile now. They had great megas, but now they're back to being trash.

Saoshyant posted:

According to the 4chan leak (which we have very little reason to doubt at this point), some Pokemon can do what's called Gigantamaxing, which gives it a different form entirely. We don't know if it'll give them ability or typing changes like some Megas, but I guess we'll find out in the next few months.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Internet Kraken posted:

Thanks Gamefreak :sigh:

You don't know much about megas if you think stats were all they were. Megas redistributed stats to make Pokemon more minmax and also gave them new abilities and typings. Pinsir became bug/flying, one of the worst types in existence, but got on an insane attack and speed boost paired with a bonkers ability. It made him into an amazing glass canon and I loved it since ever since I was little I wanted Pinsir to be good.

Now he's trash again. Why dynamax Pinsir when another pokemon can get the same boost and use it better?

That's actually a solid point, I forgot about the typing and ability changes. I was more thinking you might still be able to use stuff off that three turn boost and the Max attacks, really, but I guess a lot of Pokemon just kinda need more than that to be usable - I haven't kept up with competitive since...gen 3 I guess?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dias posted:

For the player in the E3 demo it seemed to be just 50% more HP with Z moves for 3 turns. But there’s also a “Dynamax level” in the stats screen so you can probably make it stronger.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Farecoal posted:

For tootin'.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vandar posted:

According to the 4chan leak (which we have very little reason to doubt at this point), some Pokemon can do what's called Gigantamaxing, which gives it a different form entirely. We don't know if it'll give them ability or typing changes like some Megas, but I guess we'll find out in the next few months.

Mind you I have no faith whatsoever in what I'm going to say next ( it's pure wishful thinking) but if G-maxing alters forms then maybe it works like an alternative to mega stones and they get to keep those forms it's just called something different now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Flopsy posted:

Mind you I have no faith whatsoever in what I'm going to say next ( it's pure wishful thinking) but if G-maxing alters forms then maybe it works like an alternative to mega stones and they get to keep those forms it's just called something different now.

That's what I'm hoping happens, but I don't have much faith in Game Freak to do it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

That makes every defensive Mega form worthless then since you can only have it for 3 turns.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

z moves were boring and dynamax is too except for the getting huge part

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

RatHat posted:

For the player in the E3 demo it seemed to be just 50% more HP with Z moves for 3 turns. But there’s also a “Dynamax level” in the stats screen so you can probably make it stronger.

I would love if different Dynamax levels impact how big the Pokemon got.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

oddium posted:

z moves were boring and dynamax is too except for the getting huge part

Now that I'm thinking more about it Dynamaxing is basically just giving a Pokemon potentially three Z-Move charges. With the HP boost it might be good for setting up stuff with the Max status moves, but yeah, it's not all that exciting outside metagame considerations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

z moves are better than mega evos actually

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Both Z moves and megas are very good, but dynamax is not great and way more boring than both

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

for sure. Dynamaxing is Dexit but for actually good and fun battle mechanics. SwSh seems to be stripping the fun/unique things out of the franchise. still gonna buy it though, it's the primary reason I bought a Switch in the first place

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Saagonsa posted:

Both Z moves and megas are very good, but dynamax is not great and way more boring than both

Megas were good, Z moves were okay but mechanically were used for little more than a guaranteed KO in a lot of matches. I feel like there was potential for them to make them more interesting but would rather have them focus on megas again if we could only have one.

But because its Gamefreak instead they just ditched both in favor of yet another mechanic that will probably last for one generation :regd09:

indigi posted:

z moves are better than mega evos actually

:wrong:

All they needed to do was dial back the really stupid megas they added in ORAS.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
megas also had the opportunity cost of using your item slot, but you get to have an item and get big so thats a little more boring

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Gettin being a uniform boost for all Pokemon is also super boring because it means you basically always just want to make your strongest offensive Pokemon big for the KOs.

AT least Megas and Z-Moves had some incentives to use them on Pokemon that weren't already best in class. Weird stuff like Z-Splash, or Sableye getting a Mega form meant you could legitimately build a cool team around a Pokemon that might not have been great otherwise. So far we haven't seen any indication of that kind of stuff from Dynamaxing which kinda sucks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't wait for the SS meta to revolve around dynamax Garchomp :shepicide:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

That makes every defensive Mega form worthless then since you can only have it for 3 turns.

Eh, depends on if it resets after you withdraw and switch I guess.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Flopsy posted:

Eh, depends on if it resets after you withdraw and switch I guess.

That would be hilariously broken and defeat the entire purpose of a 3 turn limit in the first place.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I dislike the lore behind megas and find it to have failed what it set out to do (make lesser mons be great) since some already popular mons got some really good megas. Nonetheless, megas are likely better than dynamax since it gave incentive to use a couple of pokemon like Khangaskan. Dynamaxing so far doesnt give any reason not to use it on the strongest pseudo-legendary you may have. And if g-max is closer to megas but kaiju, then this will boil down to a couple broken gigantamax or dynamax garchomp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zore posted:

That would be hilariously broken and defeat the entire purpose of a 3 turn limit in the first place.

*shrugs* poo poo man I dunno, I'm just musing on unlikely what ifs here.