Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Am I reading that translation right?

Is Re-Destro claiming that the original light-emitting baby was Destro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
No because he also mentioned the world was already in chaos due to quirks developing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Am I reading that translation right?

Is Re-Destro claiming that the original light-emitting baby was Destro?

i think he's saying that the re-classification of superpowers as "quirks" and all the associated legislation was sparked by destro's mother

the light baby would have been waaaay before any formal societal reorganization around the quirk phenomenon

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Mystic Mongol posted:

Clones are partially based on Twice's conception of the subject. It's possible, likely even, that Twice thinks Shigaraki is the toughest member of the VA.

I actually took Shigaraki sticking around as an outcome of his crazy fast anime speed, since we see him dodging another attack later as well. But yeah, the real Compress does already know that Twice is copying himself, so Twice has to have some influence on what exactly gets made. The fact that Twice was surprised is actually pretty weird, since it means Twice, at least for now, isn’t conscious of shaping his clones, which might open the door of making clones that do have different personalities.

Though maybe all this wrinkle will be used for is preventing the VA from gathering intel by making clones of people and talking to them.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Machia is not a Noumu. He was explicitly able to take in multiple quirks without being modified.

Oxxidation posted:

that was a mistranslation, he doesn’t have any additional quirks at all
Welp, there goes that theory

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't think the mentioned mother is Destro's but rather the person who ended up accidentally coining the phrase quirk.

Remember the actual Japanese word is literally translated as "individuality".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I love how a little detail makes it incredibly obvious just how full of poo poo Re-Destro is.

His grandmother specifically created the term "Quirk" to make people see superpowers, starting from his father's, positively. If he truly followed that ideology, he'd take that word as gospel. Instead he sees it as evil and his faction are the only people that do not use it, preferring "superpower" - the exact term that would separate it from the norm.

His grandmother wanted equality, he wants to be superior.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blaze Dragon posted:

I love how a little detail makes it incredibly obvious just how full of poo poo Re-Destro is.

His grandmother specifically created the term "Quirk" to make people see superpowers, starting from his father's, positively. If he truly followed that ideology, he'd take that word as gospel. Instead he sees it as evil and his faction are the only people that do not use it, preferring "superpower" - the exact term that would separate it from the norm.

His grandmother wanted equality, he wants to be superior.

Yeah, it was already apparent from the higher-ups' attitudes, like how Apocrypha is open about his belief that might makes right and the powerless have no value, that "equality" is nowhere near what they want and that they regard themselves as superior, but learning this story makes it that much worse.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm cool with Horikoshi skipping the Dabi fight but I hope he cuts back to Spinner vs the Politician. I want to see that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Given that her title is the Mother of Quirks, Destro may not actually be her son.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
"gently caress yo' building."

I dunno why I didn't forsee that. There's no way Shigaraki was going to fight his way up that tower to actually fight the 'final boss'

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Crasical posted:

"gently caress yo' building."

I dunno why I didn't forsee that. There's no way Shigaraki was going to fight his way up that tower to actually fight the 'final boss'

Same. His clone foreseeing it was also a good moment.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

the art since that rough over worked stretch has been wonderful

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Brought To You By posted:

Welp, there goes that theory
Nah, Oxxidation's wrong, but understandably so.

The official translation got it wrong on the first go, a friend of mine pointed it out to Caleb (the translator) and Caleb quickly pulled the chapter and fixed the translation from "he was up to the task even without getting remodeled with multiple quirks" to what it is now, the panel I posted.
(which has a typo, but c'est la vie)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Given that her title is the Mother of Quirks, Destro may not actually be her son.

This is what I thought as well. She's probably the mother of the glowing baby from chapter one. It'd make sense someone dealing with a ton of prejudice at the time would want to tell people that her kid isn't really special, it's just a little genetic quirk.

It makes Destro even more of a shithead for twisting her words to use in their libertarian propaganda.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm cool with Horikoshi skipping the Dabi fight but I hope he cuts back to Spinner vs the Politician. I want to see that.

I'm gonna laugh if that fight happens and we still don't see Spinner using his Quirk.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What if Spinner doesn't have a quirk. You know, other than just looking like a lizard.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Rhonne posted:

What if Spinner doesn't have a quirk. You know, other than just looking like a lizard.

Being a ninja turtle is a fine quirk.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

amigolupus posted:

This is what I thought as well. She's probably the mother of the glowing baby from chapter one. It'd make sense someone dealing with a ton of prejudice at the time would want to tell people that her kid isn't really special, it's just a little genetic quirk.

It makes Destro even more of a shithead for twisting her words to use in their libertarian propaganda.

I'm gonna laugh if that fight happens and we still don't see Spinner using his Quirk.

It could be a translation issue, but it reads "at the time the world was in chaos and there was still a strong prejudice against superpowers" which doesn't really jive with being the child being the glowing baby.

Rhonne posted:

All of the people Giran recommended were supposed to be big deal criminals, he's got to have more of a talent than just grand theft auto.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I hope season 4 adds in the part where Aizawa gets Eri the ugly clothes and the horrified nurses go get her something appropriate

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, was there anything from the manga that wasn’t in the anime? I only started reading it from the point where Season 3 left off.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, was there anything from the manga that wasn’t in the anime? I only started reading it from the point where Season 3 left off.

Off the top of my head, they cut out All For One talking to his guard when they were wheeling him to his cell and they cut out the scene showing that Stain was being held a few rooms down.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
A minor Shinso cameo too, before Deku and friends went to the camp

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

232 official https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-232/chapter/18331?action=read

Trivia notes: https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1140387232810799104

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Exercu posted:

Nah, Oxxidation's wrong, but understandably so.

The official translation got it wrong on the first go, a friend of mine pointed it out to Caleb (the translator) and Caleb quickly pulled the chapter and fixed the translation from "he was up to the task even without getting remodeled with multiple quirks" to what it is now, the panel I posted.
(which has a typo, but c'est la vie)

Well then, I think I know the ironic fate of Re-destro. His father got mindbroken and turned into a slave for All for One and this will be his downfall. He claims he and his group have been planning this revolution for decades, but All for One planned his continued reign even longer before that.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Well then, I think I know the ironic fate of Re-destro. His father got mindbroken and turned into a slave for All for One and this will be his downfall. He claims he and his group have been planning this revolution for decades, but All for One planned his continued reign even longer before that.

Have they actually mentioned any connection between Destro and AfO other than both being accomplished villains?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nope, not as far as I know. And back in 218, the chapter we meet Re-Destro, it's stated that Destro wrote his book then killed himself while in prison after the original Meta Liberation Army was defeated.

Edit: Tangent, why does the official translation call Apocrypha "Geten", but translate Skeptic and Curious's codenames? They're all the same thing, so leaving one untranslated stands out as weird.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 17, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Roland Jones posted:

Nope, not as far as I know. And back in 218, the chapter we meet Re-Destro, it's stated that Destro wrote his book then killed himself while in prison after the original Meta Liberation Army was defeated.

Edit: Tangent, why does the official translation call Apocrypha "Geten", but translate Skeptic and Curious's codenames? They're all the same thing, so leaving one untranslated stands out as weird.
I think it's because of how the names are written in the raws. I haven't seen them but I'm guessing Skeptic and Curious are written in kata and Geten is written in Kanji.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fabricated posted:

I think it's because of how the names are written in the raws. I haven't seen them but I'm guessing Skeptic and Curious are written in kata and Geten is written in Kanji.

That honestly seems like a localization issue: Japanese readers are going to be much more familiar with the connotations of Geten than Western readers will be with "Geten". It's one of the few things I disagree with Cook on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's possible Geten is his actual name. His code name could be something like Dubius.

Anyway Geten is written differently then Skeptic and Curious. Like I think they are actually saying Skeptic and Curious in english.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's possible Geten is his actual name. His code name could be something like Dubius.

Anyway Geten is written differently then Skeptic and Curious. Like I think they are actually saying Skeptic and Curious in english.

This is correct.

Geten: 外典
Skeptic: スケプティック
Curious: キュリオス

Geten has his name in kanji and is, as kanji tends to be, a Japanese word, while the other two are just English words rendered in katakana. There's no translation weirdness here: the Japanese stays Japanese, the English stays English.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I think the most ironic fate for Re-Destro would be for him to get shot with one of the quirk destroying bullets and left with his army destroyed and no powers.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Huh. So ReDestro's really claiming Destro's mom was the Mother of Quirks. But the timeline for that doesn't seem right since we know there's already been several generations of Quirks. Let's say ReDestro is in his late 40s to 50s, and Destro had him in his 30s. 80-90 years ago doesn't feel like it'd fit Destro's description of society still filled with chaos and discrimination against Quirks.

I could still be wrong about it, but I just want Destro to be full of poo poo and be the type to claim relation to someone famous just to legitimize his movement.

Rhonne posted:

I think the most ironic fate for Re-Destro would be for him to get shot with one of the quirk destroying bullets and left with his army destroyed and no powers.

I can see that happening. Twice did tell Shigaraki that he's unable to replicate the bullets, so Shigaraki probably wouldn't feel the need to hang onto them.

Then again, Shiggy's a gamer so maybe he has the Megalixir problem. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

amigolupus posted:

Huh. So ReDestro's really claiming Destro's mom was the Mother of Quirks. But the timeline for that doesn't seem right since we know there's already been several generations of Quirks. Let's say ReDestro is in his late 40s to 50s, and Destro had him in his 30s. 80-90 years ago doesn't feel like it'd fit Destro's description of society still filled with chaos and discrimination against Quirks.

I could still be wrong about it, but I just want Destro to be full of poo poo and be the type to claim relation to someone famous just to legitimize his movement.

I can see that happening. Twice did tell Shigaraki that he's unable to replicate the bullets, so Shigaraki probably wouldn't feel the need to hang onto them.

Then again, Shiggy's a gamer so maybe he has the Megalixir problem. :v:

Shigaraki wants the Doctor to replicate them.

Also the Mother of Quirks in that she named the term, not the woman who gave birth to the glowing baby.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she's a famous historical figure, not the source of all superpowers.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man this translator really thinks things through a lot, it's amazing.

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1140387244634624001

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also the Mother of Quirks in that she named the term, not the woman who gave birth to the glowing baby.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

she's a famous historical figure, not the source of all superpowers.

Yeah, I realize the Mother of Quirks wasn't the glowing baby's mom thanks to this translation. I guess I just find it difficult to believe that people hated Quirks 80-90 years ago but now everyone loves it and society seems to be stable.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Shigaraki wants the Doctor to replicate them.

Don't they have two or three of them though? I could see Shigaraki thinking it's worth it to use one of them on Re-Destro. Plus I like the idea of, instead of just killing his rivals, Shigaraki leaves them broken shells of their former selves(see: Overhaul).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rhonne posted:

Don't they have two or three of them though? I could see Shigaraki thinking it's worth it to use one of them on Re-Destro. Plus I like the idea of, instead of just killing his rivals, Shigaraki leaves them broken shells of their former selves(see: Overhaul).

5 if I recall.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't believe Shigaraki was Luffy this whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I can't believe Shigaraki was Luffy this whole time.

Clearly you need to go (re)read Tenko.