Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

No, they won't work over black. At all.

Had to make sure that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
My Contrast output from painting on and off this weekend:

Reiver, Iyanden yellow (fixed that spot on the boot later, wraithbone patch was drying, still gotta paint grenades)

Matches fairly well with my Lysander, might do those assault terminators in Iyaden, I just need a bit more practice, that splotching is tough to avoid so far.

hosed around with some Mordians

The thing that really sticks for me is how it's fun and relatively forgiving for the speed you get.

Oh forgot about this guy for Kill Team, gonna get a decal on him and eyes tomorrow. The rest I almost definitely want to just keep black, it seems very awesome right now

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 17, 2019

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

General Olloth posted:

Yes, thinned about 3:1 with the medium to make it a lot more subtle. I didn't like the white color for the robe. (Or..anything yet. It's kinda meh)

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing about the white - I wanted to do my blood bowl elves in white and red and i'm thinking skeleton horde or basil grey thinned down for the white instead.

The white might be alright for well sculpted hair and beards?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://imgur.com/gallery/5xBAiaF

Here's a display of the other new paints that got announced. Bloodreaver Flesh and Catachan Flesh look really good as darker skin tones. I'm definitely getting a pot of the former I think.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
That black with a couple of manual highlights and maybe some shading could become magnificent with very little effort. First time I've had a good look at the results it gets so thank you black marine op!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So far the only contrast stuff that is exciting me at all is the Snakebite Leather and maybe the pink. The leather effect looks pretty natural, and with a bit of highlighting / weathering on top of it, it would probably save quite a bit of time on small straps and pouches while still looking pretty drat close to what I'm going for with much slower, fiddlier methods. The pink looks good on monster gums, and trying to highlight / shade around a bunch of teeth is definitely a major pain the rear end, but the old-fashioned way definitely does still look significantly better if you're willing to put in the time.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

MrFlibble posted:

The white might be alright for well sculpted hair and beards?

Come to think of it I usually make a glaze that's about like the white for Emperor's Children hair, you may be on to something there.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Which brown did you use for the pouches? It looks darker than Snakebite.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wyldwood. It pooled a bit too much on top of the pouches

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

TheBigAristotle posted:

Oh forgot about this guy for Kill Team, gonna get a decal on him and eyes tomorrow. The rest I almost definitely want to just keep black, it seems very awesome right now

That knife turned out really nicely.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Cooked Auto posted:

Here's a display of the other new paints that got announced. Bloodreaver Flesh and Catachan Flesh look really good as darker skin tones. I'm definitely getting a pot of the former I think.

Kakophoni Purple looks to be a really close match to the old Tentacle Pink color.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Clawtopsy posted:

That knife turned out really nicely.

A single stroke of space wolves grey

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Yeast posted:

Finished up this floaty boy. Just a one off because I like the model.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Yeast posted:

And a Hellhound too. After getting annihilated by a guard army with 3 of them, I figure if you can't beat em etc

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Not even remotely finished but i'm liking the modifications i made to my Stormcast scheme. I think a wash will really tie it all together (after i block in everything of course)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Anyone able to recommend a good pin vise?
I've got an old GW one but the chuck only holds specific sized drill bits, I'd really like one with a proper adjustable chuck but I haven't been able t o find one.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Jumpoff posted:

Not even remotely finished but i'm liking the modifications i made to my Stormcast scheme. I think a wash will really tie it all together (after i block in everything of course)

Nice sea foam robe. Works great with the bronze

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Yeast posted:

Nice sea foam robe. Works great with the bronze

Thanks! Army Painter Wizards Orb for anyone interested, literally just two thin coats of it.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Contrastpostin:

Everything save for the metallics, the texture and pattern on the base, highlights on the belt crystal, and a light dawnstone drybrush on the gun was done in Contrast.

Fits in well with the rest of the BSF babyfaces that aren't 'trasted.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
More contrast, did this in no time

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Is that one coat of black on the bodyglove?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cooked Auto posted:

The Lupercal & Sons of Horus Green look cool, and I've been trying to decide what colors to do the Mark III Marines I bought a while ago (of course, I'm also trying to decide on a color for the AdMech I'm working on as well...)

The Grey Knights Steel I also find cool, since I've thought about doing Grey Knights at some point, but doing blue-wash/glaze with medium mixture seems like it'd be a bit tricky to do. The Grey Knights Steel seems to produce that blue-steel effect on it's own, but then I don't know how you're supposed to wash it, since it seems like a black wash would mask the blue tint.

-

Question regarding brushes: today I bought some golden taklon filbert brushes, since I wanted some larger brushes for base-painting, and possibly for the contrast paints if/when I pick them up. However, I noticed that there were also white taklon and black taklon. I got gold taklon because I think that's what someone suggested as an alternative to GW brushes, but I was wondering why you would or wouldn't use the other kinds. From what I could see, the white taklon brush hairs seems softer,.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Reporting in to say white Stynylrez is not a good surface for the contrast paints.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Max Wilco posted:

Question regarding brushes: today I bought some golden taklon filbert brushes, since I wanted some larger brushes for base-painting, and possibly for the contrast paints if/when I pick them up. However, I noticed that there were also white taklon and black taklon. I got gold taklon because I think that's what someone suggested as an alternative to GW brushes, but I was wondering why you would or wouldn't use the other kinds. From what I could see, the white taklon brush hairs seems softer,.

Apparently the difference is in the firmness of the bristles. Gold is the mid range. You might want to experiment with all three. I've only used golden myself, a lot of people swear by them, I prefer real sable brushes for detail work but use a lot of cheap brushes including golden taklon for basecoats, texture paints, drybrushing etc.

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

Remember gitface when I promised to kill you last?

I LIED
Finished this goblin spider rider!

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Finally finished the troll I've been working on on-off for a couple of weeks now. Not that it took too long, but I tend to paint in bursts, and usually just at the weekend.

Really need to fill gaps better next time.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is the white stynlrez primer basically worthless with contrast paints? It pools pretty badly

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Has anyone tried the contrasts over zenithal priming? It would have to be white-grey rather than black but it's a thought.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

beergod posted:

Is the white stynlrez primer basically worthless with contrast paints? It pools pretty badly

From what I’ve seen that’s kind of what those paints do.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

thespaceinvader posted:

Has anyone tried the contrasts over zenithal priming? It would have to be white-grey rather than black but it's a thought.

https://youtu.be/MjaAJ0yJI_A

At 7 mins he demonstrates it over zenithal priming

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

I LIED
I ended up trying out this Imperial Guard color scheme I had in my head for a while.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
the pink rimmed bases are making the inside of my skull itch

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mistafab posted:

I ended up trying out this Imperial Guard color scheme I had in my head for a while.

My daughter would love this. Those are basically her favorite colors.

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

I LIED

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My daughter would love this. Those are basically her favorite colors.

awww, well she has good taste! Basically my favorite colors as well. I was going for a kind of synthwavey kinda palette. Probably going to paint up some more units in the scheme.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Decided to try the new Grey Seer Primer and Warpstone Green on a D&D Green Dragon for science. This is literally one coat with poor lighting from someone that only uses Vallejo, not thinning it out was kind of weird.

https://imgur.com/gallery/aIA9rPw

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Is that one coat of black on the bodyglove?

One coat of black templar over grey seer

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

CDW posted:

Decided to try the new Grey Seer Primer and Warpstone Green on a D&D Green Dragon for science. This is literally one coat with poor lighting from someone that only uses Vallejo, not thinning it out was kind of weird.

https://imgur.com/gallery/aIA9rPw

drat. If you wanted to leave that alone it's already good, but if you were to add some sharp 1 stage edge higlights it'll be spectacular.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Oh yeah, there will be edge highlights and subtle yellow worked onto the membranes on the wings and spines, but for one coat I'm pretty impressed by the depth.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

So my friend got some contrast paints before me (I ordered a complete set, he just bought a few). This is wraithbone primed with two coats of the white I think. It doesn't look bad.

Apparently the whole squig took about ten minutes.

He also got a pot of snakebite leather marked as ultramarine blue so thats more than a one off thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Contrast Paint trip report!

I've been wanting to do a Sons of Horus Epic army and contrast paints were an excellent excuse to get started. The only contrast I used was Terradon Turquoise which was the base color. I started with a simple white rattle can basecoat, then applied a single coat of the Terradon contrast.

The results were decent, but like a lot of contrast minis I've been seeing, has been just a little too splotchy for my liking. This was even after being careful to control excessive pooling. I followed up by a light drybrushing of Kabalite Green focusing on large flat areas. Then I did a drybrushing of Sybarite Green focusing on edges. Then I blocked in all of the metal bits with Leadbelcher, washed with Nuln Oil, and a light drybrush of Stormhost Silver.

Happy with the results, I finished up a few detachments, except I haven't addressed basing yet.

All in all, I feel like the contrast paint basically just saves me from finding a wash to pair with my basecoat color, which is nice.