Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

Help with a Water Elemental! Preliminary vote for what I presume is the next choice.

:emptyquote:

Jackard posted:

Darkstar

Blackhole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Tiggum posted:

Nah, Project Aon clarifies that you can only pick up to 5 buds regardless of what you choose to do with them and therefore can only make up to five potions even if you have more vials.
It'd have been great if the reason was there wasn't a way to have more than five vials... a simply oversight is such a letdown.
Help them (with a Water Elemental).

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Jackard posted:

Darkstar

He is of the night

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Beyond the Nightmare Gate posted:

You and Tanith run into the burning village. The effect is dramatic. ‘He is back,’ you hear someone scream. They cower before you, their eyes bright with fear.

‘I mean you no harm! I want to help,’ you cry, but all remain silent, regarding you with horrified stares. ‘How can I help?’ you shout. A rock thuds at your feet by way of reply. You cannot see who threw it.

You close your eyes and begin to chant. The Vale villagers flinch visibly, convinced that you mean to hurt them. You carry on regardless. At the cost of 1 WILLPOWER point you cause it to rain. The fire is raging quite heavily and you are doubtful that the shower you have raised is of sufficient intensity to quench the fire. You prepare to throw another WILLPOWER point into the spell but stop suddenly as the villagers give a great gasp. A cold evil throbs at your back.

You spin round to face the Jahksa. ‘Why do you waste your energies so?’ the Jahksa enquires. ‘On these simpletons and peasants.’

‘And why have you shown yourself?’ you ask. ‘These people now know that I did not burn their village. Surely you hoped that they would cast me out without telling me where the Gate to the next realm can be found?’

‘Your unimpressive display of weather-working has sufficed,’ he snorts, derisively. ‘You have saved the people and all live happily ever after,’ he sneers, sarcastically. ‘But other dangers await you.’ So saying, the Jahksa disappears.

Willpower: 32.

The people of the Vale emit a great cheer. Fires throughout the village are already beginning to dwindle without the Jahksa there to stoke them afresh. The village elders ask if you would like to stay with them as honoured guest at a great feast.
Should we stay or should we go now?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Stay and reap the rewards!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You spend another day and night with these happy, simple people. The beauty of the vibrant valley is a welcome relief from the hardships of your quest, however worthy the cause. The time spent with the people of the Vale has a beneficial effect, restoring 4 ENDURANCE points and 2 WILLPOWER points. Tanith radiates a happiness and gaiety that you have seldom seen before. You ask about the Gate that leads to the Realm of the Moonstone, and the elders tell you of the Silver Lake.

That night, you and Tanith are led up into the mountains to a large lake. They tell you to board the Ethetron and fly above the beautiful lake. Then, when the moon has climbed to its highest point in the sky you must fly into the water, for the lake is the Gateway to the Realm of the Moonstone and the light and power of the moon its key. You do as they instruct, and with a wave, you dive towards the Silver Lake, but as you break the surface, it is not water that washes over you but awe and wonder.

Willpower: 34.

You are soaring through a starlit sky, myriad tiny pinpoints of light shining above. Tanith clutches your arm and points below at a swirling gaseous incandescence, lit by sporadic bursts of violet lightning. Suddenly, a huge, webbed claw as tall as a house, with green, shining skin rises up out of the mists.

The webbed claw rakes the side of the Ethetron, but your swift reflexes save you from certain death. As the monstrous limb sinks back into the mist, Tanith points to a crack that has appeared in the glass dome that contains the power which drives the craft. The Ethetron starts to lose height, sinking slowly into the swirling mystery below.

Suddenly, there is a hideous roar and seven eyeless heads on long, slender necks wave before you like monstrous flowers in a breeze. Twenty feet tall, with teeth like razors, they sway this way and that, blindly seeking you out. A giant head sways barely a few feet away and a yawning mouth bears down on you.

Shall we attack the closest one or try to dodge between them?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Dodge

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dodge!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
We should attack while we can still maneuver. Maybe we can scare off the beast and then make a controlled landing!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

We have recovered our energy while our vehicle is losing its own.
Attack!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Hmm it can't see us but I'm betting it can feel pain. Lets dodge rather than risk giving ourselves away and getting swarmed by the rest.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKsVVmOGV9I 3721:1 odds?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

We should attack while we can still maneuver. Maybe we can scare off the beast and then make a controlled landing!

You unleash a blast of magical fire aimed directly at the creature. Combat may last for only two rounds before you will have flown past it.
Grey Star: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 25 WILLPOWER 34
Creature of the Mists: COMBAT SKILL 21 ENDURANCE 25
Combat Ratio: -6 WP/Turn: 5

We roll: 3
Grey Star: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 20 WILLPOWER 29
Creature of the Mists: COMBAT SKILL 21 ENDURANCE 15

WP/Round: 3
We roll: 10
Grey Star: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 20 WILLPOWER 26
Creature of the Mists: COMBAT SKILL 21 ENDURANCE 0

You are still losing height as the greyish mist contained in the glass dome seeps from the Ethetron. Swerving like a tiny insect to avoid the weird creatures, you battle for control but the ship is becoming harder and harder to steer. Then, suddenly, they are no longer there.

Anxiously you search around but there is no indication that this realm contains any peculiar features. Then a strange symmetrical shape, quite unlike a star, catches your eye. You steer the crippled Ethetron towards the object and, when you are close enough to recognize it, you give a gasp of joy. It is a Trianon, a creation of the Shianti; instinctively you know that this must be the place where the Moonstone is hidden.

Suddenly, a fearsome shriek distracts your attention from the ancient Shianti tomb. The starlit sky is now full of terrible creatures.

At first they are distant specks but they are moving towards you at high speed and soon you are able to distinguish details. You give an involuntary gasp: the creatures have oily, purple-black skins with slickly matted feathers; their eyes protrude like two swollen bruises from the sides of their heads and their cry is hoarse like the ringing of a cracked bell. The Ethetron moves sluggishly as the very last of the grey mist seeps from its dome. You turn the ship towards the Trianon but the malformed birds (if birds they are) are gaining on you.

Should we shoot at them with our staff, wait for them to get closer so we can hit them, or use Elementalism?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Elementalism. It worked last time!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

PMush Perfect posted:

This. I bet that jerkoff Jahksa's riding one though.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

PMush Perfect posted:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Good point.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You close your eyes and send out the power of your thought to the Elemental Plane. A raging wind blows around you, whipping the birds into confusion so that they are unable to attack. Unfortunately, you are now unable to manipulate the damaged craft and find yourself affected as badly as the Chaos-birds. A sudden gust sends you hurtling into the side of the Trianon and the sound of a collision fills your ears.

Willpower: 25.

We roll: 7 + 25 (WP) = 32.

The force of the impact sends you tumbling through the air. Then a hand grips yours: Tanith has caught you. She has a firm grip on the Trianon and soon pulls you up. ‘How do we get inside?’ she asks.

You reach out towards a Shianti rune carved deep into the wall. A door appears and opens slowly. You enter the Trianon and prepare to fulfil your quest.

You are standing at the start of a long corridor. There are more than a hundred doorways leading from this passage.
Shall we explore the corridor or not?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Explore!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Explore

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
[bad Little Mermaid impression]Explore this corridor before us!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bound to be good loot somewhere in here! Explore!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Explore, explore, explore the creepy and mysterious corridor in the ancient and forgotten ruins...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Guy Fawkes posted:

Explore, explore, explore the creepy and mysterious corridor in the ancient and forgotten ruins...
This!

Also, whoever said hooray for competent NPCs, I'm echoing that. Tanith has proved to be much more capable and actually-involved than the damsel in distress I thought she would end up being.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You enter a door. To your surprise, you and Tanith find yourselves standing in a circular chamber filled with a milky-white light. Your heart lifts when you recognize that the source of the light is the Moonstone itself. ‘So you found it at last,’ says a voice behind you. It is the Jahksa.

‘I will take what is mine,’ he says. He reaches out to take the Moonstone, a greedy gleam in his eyes. You have seconds in which to act.
Should we fight him or not?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh is this like the end of the Last Crusade kinda thing? Let's just sit on our asses and do nothing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Look at that smirk on Tanith's face. That's a woman who knows this dude is about to melt his face off so we might as well just watch

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The author himself will tell us we need to do something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZCOwnMEVvE

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wait. :munch:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Leraika posted:

Look at that smirk on Tanith's face. That's a woman who knows this dude is about to melt his face off so we might as well just watch

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I bet the Shianti trapped it. Thanks for being our tester.

Don’t fight him.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Ha, called it. His goal all along was stealing that thing, not killing us. Fight him just because.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Leraika posted:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The question is, is the Lorestone one of those "will be ruined forever if evil touches it" kinds of things?

Nah, probably not. Just wait.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The question is, is the Lorestone one of those "will be ruined forever if evil touches it" kinds of things?

Nah, probably not. Just wait.
It's the exact same Moonstone we transported later * as Lonewolf and his student.

*we are not playing those books in a chronological order, time- wise.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

I bet the Shianti trapped it. Thanks for being our tester.

Don’t fight him.

The Jahksa snatches the Moonstone, and with a triumphant yell, turns to face you, brandishing his staff menacingly. ‘Prepare to die, Wizardling,’ says the Jahksa, viciously. You raise your Staff, ready to fight for possession of the Moonstone. Suddenly, Tanith stays your hand, begging you not to fight.

‘Something terrible will happen if you fight this creature,’ she says, imploringly. ‘Grey Star, I sense it!’
Do we listen to Tanith or ignore her and fight the Jahksa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Well, clearly listen to Tanith and just watch the evil guy explode.