Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

echinopsis posted:

you’re right blender is cool

sometimes I look at the junk I’ve created like http://rodtronics.tumblr.com

and I wonder, was this a waste of my evening? it’s never gonna go anywhere or make me money or contribute to a career

Well, that second one absolutely looks like a shirt I'd buy, you could try throwing some of these up on shirt sites like threadless, and get a couple bux that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

echinopsis posted:

blender is the best open source software that has ever existed

God yes.

I did a little bit of left taught modeling with a copy of max a friend put on my computer at uni, and got some OK results, but lost it when I updated the computer - now after about three months of blender I'm getting better results than a few years of max.

I'm still a total noob, and there actually things like youtube tutorials now. (plus I have that rusty but there base knowledge to build on), but once you get past the "how the gently caress do I extrude this surface" bump, things have taken off exponentially.

I really did have a massive mental block when starting - the little time of max put some things in my head, and it's only when I got my 3D printer that I was able to force my way past them. now I'm starting to do things I never expected to be at in 3 months - I'm still googling half of what I need to do, and there are probably a million shortcuts I'm missing, but I'm making progress.

(Blocking out ideas)

Then there are the normal noob hangups of "why is this things looking washed out" and "Why doens't the x-ray mode work, but I think that's partly because I'm learning 2.8, and its not the most stable of things.

Its great fun, and I wish I had more time to throw at it!

VVVVVV
Hey noob buddy!

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
Well, there you have it folks. The verdict is in: Blender good

I quit smoking weed (and playing video games, finding them to be co-morbid) and have filled in the gap with learning this program... Bashed my head against this keyboard more than once now but honestly? I was a pretty serious minecrafter back in the day, loved Cities: Skylines but was frustrated at its limitations, etc... I kinda think this stuff is maybe what I wanted out of video games all along. As my posts indicate itt, I've only been at this poo poo for like 2 weeks, so while I'm sure it's busch league to the pros, the stuff I'm able to make is pretty incredible. I never learned photoshop proper, I can draw well for someone with exactly zero visual arts training (I'm an actor/part-timer at four things.) So all this is fuckin' empowering as hell honestly. Plus here in Seattle, who knows, there might well be some work if I get good. Right now I'm just digging the modeling... so much of acting is about just throwing hours and hours into an audition and rolling the dice. It's ephemeral. This is like a counterweight to that side of my creative self - it's more linear, the work sticks around, and I self-direct. I choose to bash my head into the keyboard, on my own terms. Actors don't ever work on their own terms - we're never in control of anything. Dunno if that's relatable to anyone but it's a paradigm shift, makes me feel more confident about my actual work in this weird way.

... To think, all this started because I wanted better maps than I could hand-draw for a D&D campaign. Blender is awesome, but in general this 3D poo poo is amazing. Tomorrow, I'm gonna learn about some hair. Why the gently caress not?! Good times!

e: oh yeah, seconded, I'd totally buy that shirt for real, please sell that

*PUNCH* fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 12, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

*PUNCH* posted:

So, turns out blender is pretty cool! This is the first thing I've, like, actually made for its own sake rather than for strictly self-educational purposes. Any idea how I'd put some juniper needles on this thing, or at least the direction towards the right tutorial? It's a bit bleak without any foliage. Dense pine needles sound easier to do but maybe I'm totally off here.

Went overboard with the trunk/root texture, so now everything else looks dumb. I think soon I'll build a real texture onto the rock, find a way to build out the moss a bit, and maybe add a chip or two to the bowl. Hooray learning!

e: here, have a more flattering render. Haven't even touched lighting/rendering yet, no idea what I'm doing, just pushing buttons

i bet you'd love speedtree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIlQHfpQ7XY (a less capable free alternative to speedtree is called TreeIt)

Kanine fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 12, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

echinopsis posted:

and I wonder, was this a waste of my evening? it’s never gonna go anywhere or make me money or contribute to a career

but then I wonder, perhaps it’s a good hobby and it doesn’t have to be economically productive to be good for myself to do. I do enjoy being lost in the creation process where hours fly by

guess it’s coz I think I could have spent that evening leaving how to make a dynamic web page work django which would enhance my life so Ifeel guilty because I am sick of my job and want a massive change and CG isn’t going to be it here in christchurch but perhaps learning databases and django will

It's ok to make art for yourself, capitalism has brainwashed us into thinking everything we do has to generate capital in some way, and its important to fight that notion.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Kanine posted:

It's ok to make art for yourself, capitalism has brainwashed us into thinking everything we do has to generate capital in some way, and its important to fight that notion.

Totally agree. Most of the 3D stuff I make now in my own time is entirely "throw away". It's very different from art creation for production, and if it's something you enjoy doing, then time isn't really "wasted" on it. I think more people should take up 3D as a hobby, especially with AR and 3D printing becoming very accessible and affordable.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gearman posted:

Totally agree. Most of the 3D stuff I make now in my own time is entirely "throw away". It's very different from art creation for production, and if it's something you enjoy doing, then time isn't really "wasted" on it. I think more people should take up 3D as a hobby, especially with AR and 3D printing becoming very accessible and affordable.

A lot of what I'm talking about right now with my therapist is how guilty I feel for spending time on leisure or making art outside of money-related contexts. apparently it's extremely common

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
does anybody know of a really good cheap/free method of voxel remeshing? i love having the ability to make a boolean model and then smooth it quickly without having to worry about subdiv stuff. I can't afford zbrush tho and blender seems difficult to pick up since I'm so used to 3ds max. sculptgl has a decent voxel remesh tool, but it's extremely limited in its use.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Kanine posted:

does anybody know of a really good cheap/free method of voxel remeshing? i love having the ability to make a boolean model and then smooth it quickly without having to worry about subdiv stuff. I can't afford zbrush tho and blender seems difficult to pick up since I'm so used to 3ds max. sculptgl has a decent voxel remesh tool, but it's extremely limited in its use.

Pick up blender.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Tried recreating the big spinny room from 2001. Going for a stylized, not very realistic, but still with real world dimensions, kind of look. The characters are just adobe fuse/mixamo, 3D character modelling and animation from scratch is super daunting. I'm getting into 3D after years of mainly working with After Effects, I know my way around C4D but still do most of my basic modelling in Adobe Illustrator, and work with extrusions and sweeps etc.

Can't wait to make the jump to PC and get into Octane or Redshift.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
seeing how lovely and entitled the comments are underneath every article i see about game devs unionizing, or even how awful the conditions in the industry are, really makes me sick

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

-probably a bad question to ask-

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 23, 2019

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

So , completely hypothetically, what happens to a vfx studio if they’re working on a movie with an announced release date and can’t hit the deadline? What kinds of things might occur?

Depending on the contract they can can get sued but I think more often they offload shots onto other studios before that happens

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
There are def studios which have virtually the sole purpose of emergency shots. Likely cost big bucks, but when you need poo poo done NOW they're who you call.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

rear end cobra posted:

Tried recreating the big spinny room from 2001. Going for a stylized, not very realistic, but still with real world dimensions, kind of look. The characters are just adobe fuse/mixamo, 3D character modelling and animation from scratch is super daunting. I'm getting into 3D after years of mainly working with After Effects, I know my way around C4D but still do most of my basic modelling in Adobe Illustrator, and work with extrusions and sweeps etc.

Can't wait to make the jump to PC and get into Octane or Redshift.

Nice work. I love 2001 and this was a memorable scene.

For funsies I went back and tweaked that cheerleader again in Keyshot. Still trying to get the anisotropic shader to look like hair. I am clearly a masochist but I know people have gotten good looking hair in Keyshot. I am just frustrated as to how. Increased metal IOR? Nylon? Endlessly tweaking the translucent materials? Ugh. This needs a lot of texturing work and surface development work but I am mainly just trying to nail down a good workflow for making hair materials in keyshot. I know the fibremesh looks like hell here and ultimately I should stop wasting time tweaking anisotropic settings and just go for Fibremesh->Xgen->Arnold like a good little CG monkey.

Just a little obsessed getting results like this guy.. Realizing the only real way to do it is to dive into Keyshot's material node based architecture and start getting as familiar with it as I am with Maya's hypershade.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 13, 2019

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008
Hey, I've been trying to get my maya workflow more organized and I'm not sure if I'm going at it the right way.

The game assets I work with need to have their maya materials named specifically for them to be autoassigned properly in the engine. The problem is, every time i import more than one fbx with shared materials they duplicate into "materialname1" and "materialname2" and I have to fix it before exporting. Also I'm tired of setting up the same material and their textures over and over. Some people just leave it gray and others have the texture paths set to their local machine.

Right now my solution is to set up all my lamberts in an empty scene (and giving unique names to all their nodes...) and then referencing that materials.ma into other scenes. If I import stuff and it dupes the material due to naming conflicts, I run a maya script that replaces all "materialname1" materials with their numberless version and so far it's been working out. Also I can optimize the scene to delete any unused nodes and it leaves the referenced stuff alone which is nice. But every once in a while something gets jostled and I open my scene to some bits having the missing shader green color, which I assume is some sort of missing reference node but I don't know how to even see what it's looking for. Referencing stuff sounds useful but I keep ending up with a mess.

Is there some sort of maya material library thing I can set up and use? Do I gotta use... namespaces? How do big or even medium companies deal with shared materials?

edit: oops, turns out that my material reference scene had shading groups in them, which would poison my scenes. I vaguely remember reading about this somewhere in the knowledge base but didn't understand what it meant.

Rapt0rCharles9231 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 14, 2019

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Kanine posted:

i bet you'd love speedtree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIlQHfpQ7XY (a less capable free alternative to speedtree is called TreeIt)

Too late!

This is my first actual model in a program that's not for babies so I figured I should learn to do things for real first at least. I might go in and redo the foliage (which does look like poo poo,) and add some actual moss, but for now I'm gonna call it good and move on to something else. Much was hosed up; much was learned; much succeeded somehow. Kinda ironic, the shittiest piece of geometry in the whole model, by FAR, is the rock. Onward and upward, time to make something completely different and discover new ways to gently caress up. This 3D stuff is fun!

oh yeah someone mentioned using double hair emitters upthread somewhere: I only used one for this, made an object out of a skin + subd over a set of edges and went from there. Also I did some (at least for me) kinda crazy procedural texturing on the juniper needles to produce a color gradient (old to young growth,) which I'm not sure really shows up in the renders. Point is... why would you need two hair functions? I guess you could, like, not bother to make that (fake) object to begin with, but at least at my skill level I feel I'd lose the weird wirey complexity of really tight evergreen needles. At this LOD they're more like coral than conventional leaves, it seemed important to honor that. If I redo it, it'll be to make them smaller and just place the emitter nodes like extensions of the actual branches instead of the dumb cludged-together clusters I've got, which ended up too unwieldy to really work with.

*PUNCH* fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 14, 2019

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
e: dp

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

My own noob project has hit a snag the textures in blender look washed out whatever I do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsr42gnfrdce6j4/Croc%202.0%20textured.blend?dl=0

Any ideas what simple setting I've screwed up? I've not had this problem until now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

*PUNCH* posted:

Point is... why would you need two hair functions? I guess you could, like, not bother to make that (fake) object to begin with, but at least at my skill level I feel I'd lose the weird wirey complexity of really tight evergreen needles.

Well, I was just taking a rough guess. The first one would form the brown stem core of the leaf cluster. The second would be for spreading the needles all over those. If you've modelled complete leaf structure and are using those as instances, then you can skip direct to applying those.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grey Hunter posted:

My own noob project has hit a snag the textures in blender look washed out whatever I do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsr42gnfrdce6j4/Croc%202.0%20textured.blend?dl=0

Any ideas what simple setting I've screwed up? I've not had this problem until now.

what are your colour management settings like?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

echinopsis posted:

what are your colour management settings like?

They look like this.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grey Hunter posted:

They look like this.

Hmm I'd change look to "base contrast" and play around with the exposure slider.

I'm not sure if that's your issue? If the render is dull it should help heaps, if it's the textures themselves then not sure soz?

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

The texture input node in the shader editor has its own color settings. The normal map should be set to "non-color data" but the texture should be set to "color." The specular component in the principled shader also adds a bit of whiteness in the rendered view.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Ccs posted:

So , completely hypothetically, what happens to a vfx studio if they’re working on a movie with an announced release date and can’t hit the deadline? What kinds of things might occur?

Shots get pulled sent to other facilities, lots of work flying everywhere at the last minute, super expensive aka 9-11 work. Or they reduce shot complexity, or number of shots/change the edit... depends.. theres a few options.

Saw one that screwed up so bad in the early 00's the client side VFX supervisor flew in with a small team and their own SGI hardware and set up camp at the studio to babysit things until delivery. Thats awkward as gently caress for the VFX Shop owners and studios to have a client roll in like that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Komojo posted:

The texture input node in the shader editor has its own color settings. The normal map should be set to "non-color data" but the texture should be set to "color." The specular component in the principled shader also adds a bit of whiteness in the rendered view.

I ended up rebuilding the texture, as as far as I could see they were set to that, but not reading as that - so as a noob I took the easy way out.

fixed him though! normals are working better as well!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It still looks like your lighting setup is messed w

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Has anyone dabbled with Fusion 360? I am finding it amazing for hard surface stuff.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

It still looks like your lighting setup is messed w

That might be because its a quick evee render.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SubNat posted:

Well, that second one absolutely looks like a shirt I'd buy, you could try throwing some of these up on shirt sites like threadless, and get a couple bux that way.

*PUNCH* posted:

e: oh yeah, seconded, I'd totally buy that shirt for real, please sell that

https://www.etsy.com/nz/listing/700664672/alpha-edition-rodtronics-rainbow-t-shirt?ref=shop_home_active_1

Admittedly by the time I looked at all the options and did everything I thought was reasonable, the price kept creeping so, I know I'd pay $20-$25 for this but not much more and especially given I haven't recived my sample yet so maybe the colours won't come out but.. well.. who am I to deny people be alpha testers all the while paying big bucks

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've got a serious question for people who've worked both inside and outside the games industry. Are total dickhead coworkers any more common within the games industry than other ones you've participated in?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ive had pretty great co workers in vfx and tv. Some back stabbing pain n other departments but animators are generally a good lot, if sometimes prone to ego.

Apr 7, 2019

Started messing around with Houdini over the weekend. I knew learning to code would come in handy at some point!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I'm getting a bit anxious in my current assignment. I've been tasked to create a sizeable 3D warehouse environment on my own. This includes modelling, texturing, and scene composition. I've got a weekly meeting with a colleague who gives me feedback and so far there hasn't been any deadline pressures yet but it's been feeling like it's going too slow. I spent half of my time the last two weeks on creating the hero concrete floor asset while other parts are put on hold. It doesn't help that I've been struggling with new techniques and unfamiliar domains as usually I'm just a texture/material artist. Is this just the nature of one person doing what a small team should be doing and I shouldn't beat myself for trying to do a team's work on my own?

Phew, I just needed to vent that a bit.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tackling entire environments is very different than being able to focus on authoring just one part of it like textures. I'd recommend taking a step back and writing out your process/pipeline; a step by step plan for the entire project all the way to the finish, and attach time allotments/estimates to each step.

If you don't keep moving and pushing the space forward you'll stall out and go too deep on one aspect or another and you'll end up with a room with really nice concrete and flat shaded everything else by the time your deadline hits.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
On top of what Mutata said, I'd add that unless you're delivering it piecemeal, you should iterate across the whole scene if possible.

If you can build out everything to like 40%-60% complete, then you can see what needs work in comparison to the other pieces, what might be over-detailed, and what is good as is.

In practice I've found the first 70% of the work goes the quickest, then it's that last 30% that starts to take exponentially longer.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

500 posted:

Started messing around with Houdini over the weekend. I knew learning to code would come in handy at some point!

me likey

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

For anyone struggling to get hair or fur in Keyshot I am documenting my experiments.

Best one might be the bottom (anisotropic with the curvature node fed into the texture). I have not tried the advance translucent material with a normal map + opacity map + UVs...yet.

This would be a big difference between realtime hair in games vs. VFX hair. The width of the hair strip and whether or not it had UVs / maps etc.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

Best one might be the bottom (anisotropic with the curvature node fed into the texture). I have not tried the advance translucent material with a normal map + opacity map + UVs...yet.

Personally I think #2 and 3 are the most realistic looking, or at least, nicest. The shine is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

The roughness of the specularity (though it is not clearly defined as specularity) seems to be the key in the metal shader. Anisotropic will give lines not unlike the lines on a vinyl record record. I am going to continue experimenting but it seems like some keyshot artists use metal, some use leather, some use plastic, and some tweak translucent materials until they get what they want. In my experience, in the last couple of years, anisotropic tends to get the best result but again... more experimenting is in order. Finally Luxion has acknowledged via email that there isn't enough information out there.

From Luxion:

quote:

I can see that it is hard to find a clear guide for a hair shader. I’ll request this from our media team for a future tutorial.