Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Turns out I have tinnitus / migraine headaches from time to time. Those times are a bad time to try new IEMs. Point being the FH7 are very very nice. Recommended!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there any decent Bluetooth headphone dongles? I’m getting annoyed by having to replace my Apple adapter every 6 months because my iPhone 8 doesn’t have a jack and those things have terrible build quality.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I don’t know what sort of quality you need but I’ve been using this for two years and it is pretty solid. Looks like there’s a newer model as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJMV0GU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yGV.CbM96CQWG

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

dantheman650 posted:

I don’t know what sort of quality you need but I’ve been using this for two years and it is pretty solid. Looks like there’s a newer model as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJMV0GU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yGV.CbM96CQWG

I just found that there is a Witecutter article and your one is their second pick. Their first is the Fiio uBTR which I can get locally for $42 (NZD).

Out of interest what are the options for neutral sounding, good isolation over the ear Bluetooth headphones? I suspect I’m looking at at least $200+ NZD so probably not worth it currently as my Etymotics are still fine (despite the exposed cable).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Red_Fred posted:

Are there any decent Bluetooth headphone dongles? I’m getting annoyed by having to replace my Apple adapter every 6 months because my iPhone 8 doesn’t have a jack and those things have terrible build quality.

If you don't mind blowing money for your audio lifestyle then get yourself a dedicated digital audio player with Bluetooth capacilities. Bonus - depending on the model you can also have 3.5mm, 2.5mm balanced or 4.4mm balanced if you want the sort of audio goodness only a wired connection can provide.

gently caress smart phones.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Is this thread a place I can ask about headsets? I am finally getting back to some gaming after my kids were born and I am starting to have time again, so recently built a new machine, and one of the last things I need is a gaming headset.

As far as I can tell from checking stuff out in person, everything marketed as a gaming headset seems to be junk. I tried out about half a dozen sets at my local best buy, at best the sound was maybe OK. They were pretty much universally big, clunky, heavy and not that comfortable. While I need a mic, that is going to be a minority of my use time, so I may just end up getting some decent headphones and separate mic, but I figured I would at least ask around and see if there are any recommended solutions.

I don't have a hard budget but if I was going to spend 200+ It would have to be for something that was really great. FWIW I have a pair of Grados I use, and I think they sound fantastic, but they are not at all comfortable for long use sessions and comfort would be pretty high on my list of needs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

emocrat posted:

While I need a mic, that is going to be a minority of my use time, so I may just end up getting some decent headphones and separate mic, but I figured I would at least ask around and see if there are any recommended solutions.

This is pretty much the consensus every time this comes up. The mic is cheap so you could get a really nice comfy set of cans for your price range.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

emocrat posted:

Is this thread a place I can ask about headsets? I am finally getting back to some gaming after my kids were born and I am starting to have time again, so recently built a new machine, and one of the last things I need is a gaming headset.

As far as I can tell from checking stuff out in person, everything marketed as a gaming headset seems to be junk. I tried out about half a dozen sets at my local best buy, at best the sound was maybe OK. They were pretty much universally big, clunky, heavy and not that comfortable. While I need a mic, that is going to be a minority of my use time, so I may just end up getting some decent headphones and separate mic, but I figured I would at least ask around and see if there are any recommended solutions.

I don't have a hard budget but if I was going to spend 200+ It would have to be for something that was really great. FWIW I have a pair of Grados I use, and I think they sound fantastic, but they are not at all comfortable for long use sessions and comfort would be pretty high on my list of needs.

Fidelio x2+ a v moda boom mic

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
The Audeze Mobius is on sale today at Amazon

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

The Audeze Mobius is on sale today at Amazon

Lol their product pictures are hilarious.

:reject:

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks for the recs all.

ChazTurbo, whats the deal with the Fidelio x2? Just quality at the price point I mentioned? Or are they exceptional in some way? Thanks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Sony XBA Z5 review: BUY IT.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Zeos made a nifty little site you where you press some buttons and out come some recommendations.

https://hifiguides.com

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

emocrat posted:

Thanks for the recs all.

ChazTurbo, whats the deal with the Fidelio x2? Just quality at the price point I mentioned? Or are they exceptional in some way? Thanks.

I mean... I like my x2's :shrug:

I probably wouldn't have bought them if the Massdrop HD6xx had come out first though.
...who am I kidding? I totally would have bought them anyway.

I think there's better ways to blow $200 (actually I only paid $150 on an Amazon Warehouse deal) but there's nothing inherently wrong with the X2's. They're great for bedroom DJ'ing because they're easy to hang on just one ear and comfy enough to wear for hours.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I had a set of Beats X (the Costco price was ok), they broke. I liked the sound, I liked the fit. Are there any true wireless IEMs (ie no connecting wire) with similar or better qualities for $150 or less that aren’t AirPods? Apple earbuds have never fit me - they always seem to be a magical combo of painful + loose. Or am I best off with Bluetooth + wire connected iems at that price?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

emocrat posted:

Thanks for the recs all.

they're sturdy, comfy and well built and you can easily attach a v-moda boom mic to em to make them a gaming headset. also they have a wide soundstage and emphasis on bass that's perfect for games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

idiotsavant posted:

I had a set of Beats X (the Costco price was ok), they broke. I liked the sound, I liked the fit. Are there any true wireless IEMs (ie no connecting wire) with similar or better qualities for $150 or less that aren’t AirPods? Apple earbuds have never fit me - they always seem to be a magical combo of painful + loose. Or am I best off with Bluetooth + wire connected iems at that price?

Not trying to be a dick but have you tried the AirPods? They really don’t fit like the old Apple earbuds. I have the same issue with their wired ones but the AirPods are amazing.

If you have an Apple store they’ll let you return them no questions asked in 14 days if you want to give them a shot. Costco will as well.

The new beats pros are supposed to be amazing but they are a little out of your price range.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Anyone have extended experience with iSine10 and LCD-2? I've tried out LCD-2 a few times, and tbh, they're my most wanted headphone, but the sticker price is EEEEEEE. Anyway, I got iSine10s a couple weeks ago and they might be my favorite loving headphones I own, and I own a lot. SO ANYWAY, are these "Audeze house sound" where if I like these this much I'm going to cum in my pants if I get LCDs? If so seems worth the price. I cannot stress how much I loving love these iSines and I just bought em on a whim.

Bolt
Dec 14, 2004
k

ddogflex posted:

Anyone have extended experience with iSine10 and LCD-2? I've tried out LCD-2 a few times, and tbh, they're my most wanted headphone, but the sticker price is EEEEEEE. Anyway, I got iSine10s a couple weeks ago and they might be my favorite loving headphones I own, and I own a lot. SO ANYWAY, are these "Audeze house sound" where if I like these this much I'm going to cum in my pants if I get LCDs? If so seems worth the price. I cannot stress how much I loving love these iSines and I just bought em on a whim.

Yep! And if you want to hear the iSine10s tuned to Audeze's preference, separate from hardware constraints, you can try the Reveal plugin or get a Cipher cable from their site, with a custom DSP/amp built in.

https://www.audeze.com/audeze-reveal-plugin

Watch out though, I eventually ended up getting iSine20s and now LCD-i4s. The i4s are so good that I sold most of my full-size headphones.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you want to delay gratification like 4 months, the Audeze pre-blackfriday b-stock sale has historically been very good.

I saved close to $200 on my LCD2C and they were indistinguishable from new.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chiming in with the Audeze love, the LCD-X were my first high end headphones and even though I have several other pairs at this point they're still at the top of the list for me.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Not trying to be a dick but have you tried the AirPods? They really don’t fit like the old Apple earbuds. I have the same issue with their wired ones but the AirPods are amazing.

If you have an Apple store they’ll let you return them no questions asked in 14 days if you want to give them a shot. Costco will as well.

The new beats pros are supposed to be amazing but they are a little out of your price range.

The Airpods sound about as good (not trolling) as the Sony MH755. I have both and I think I like the 755s better.

They cost $6 from ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-N...A0anW7tjGz67n1w

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Bolt posted:

Yep! And if you want to hear the iSine10s tuned to Audeze's preference, separate from hardware constraints, you can try the Reveal plugin or get a Cipher cable from their site, with a custom DSP/amp built in.

https://www.audeze.com/audeze-reveal-plugin

Watch out though, I eventually ended up getting iSine20s and now LCD-i4s. The i4s are so good that I sold most of my full-size headphones.

I got the set with the V1 cipher cable, and just got the bluetooth cipher cable for it last night. Hahaha I'm seriously in love with these loving things. I really can't even imagine how good the LCD-i4s are.

eddiewalker posted:

If you want to delay gratification like 4 months, the Audeze pre-blackfriday b-stock sale has historically been very good.

I saved close to $200 on my LCD2C and they were indistinguishable from new.

I ALMOST bought the LCD2C during last years sale. I really probably should wait. Goddamnit. Haha

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
I had some cheap blue tooth earphones at the gym but they didn't block out the gym speakers that well. So I started using my etymotics ER 4XR, but I've now broken my cable, so I have two questions.

1. Are there any cheap cables for Etymotics ER 4XR (MMCX). Preferable one with volume control.

2. Are there any good bluetooth earphones for the gym that block out sound well. Most reviews are saying Beats are best for the gym but I always thought that at that price range there is always something much better.

Budget - Cheap as possible but up to $250
Source - Galaxy Active watch or Galaxy S9.
Isolation Requirements - Use in Gym so Max isolation wanted.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM style ideally but am open to anything that has high isolation and work in the gym.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Any/
Past Headphones - Etymotics, Shure...
Preferred Music -Everything

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I built these headphones using Audio-Technica ATH-r70x drivers. They sound fantastic, and I would recommend the ATH-r70x to anyone.

(Trying to figure out how to get imgur to work with IMG tags)

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 16, 2019

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How should an IEM seal feel? Should I feel a vacuum effect in my ear or is it okay if there isn't one? I tried a bunch of tips at the store and none of them had a seal-like feeling to me. The audio sounds good with my current IEMs but I'm wondering if it could get better?

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

How should an IEM seal feel? Should I feel a vacuum effect in my ear or is it okay if there isn't one? I tried a bunch of tips at the store and none of them had a seal-like feeling to me. The audio sounds good with my current IEMs but I'm wondering if it could get better?

I think that the only way you'd get a vacuum-seal is if you had a pair that was molded after your ear-canal, and then again if you do, you should be real careful when getting them out. There's that blue putty you can buy to make a mold and attach to your IEMs when it cures, I think it has been mentioned here before. That outta give you a perfect fit. Other than that, if you don't wanna go do something like that, I wouldn't worry too much about tips as long as they feel comfortable and sound good to you.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Schneider Heim posted:

If this test sounds right, you’ve got a good fit.

https://www.sensaphonics.com/test

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Schneider Heim posted:

Have you tried the hammer mod?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZvmAsnAlBI

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SchrodingersCat posted:

I built these headphones using Audio-Technica ATH-r70x drivers. They sound fantastic, and I would recommend the ATH-r70x to anyone.

(Trying to figure out how to get imgur to work with IMG tags)

I have the ATH-M70x and I also like them very much.
They don't have that oomph in the low end that you'd expect from a closed backed headphone, but they're crystal clear. Also they respond very well to EQing.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Looking for some travel wired earbuds for flight music/audiobooks/Switch for < $100. (or wireless I guess if they can convert to wired when out of battery) I've never heard of this company but I've come across recommendations for 1MORE Triple Driver as the best bet in that price range. Any experiences or other suggestions?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Looking for some travel wired earbuds for flight music/audiobooks/Switch for < $100. (or wireless I guess if they can convert to wired when out of battery) I've never heard of this company but I've come across recommendations for 1MORE Triple Driver as the best bet in that price range. Any experiences or other suggestions?

Since you are flying I’d highly suggest going with something with ANC

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1250985-REG/audio_technica_ath_anc33is_quietpoint_active_noise_cancelling.html

I fly a lot and the ANC really does help.

If you spend more and go with a set of over the ears they all come with a connector to use the 3.5mm jack but the battery life is so long I can’t imaging you would use it much besides on the switch.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Since you are flying I’d highly suggest going with something with ANC

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1250985-REG/audio_technica_ath_anc33is_quietpoint_active_noise_cancelling.html

I fly a lot and the ANC really does help.

If you spend more and go with a set of over the ears they all come with a connector to use the 3.5mm jack but the battery life is so long I can’t imaging you would use it much besides on the switch.

I don't really mind the droning engine noise (its soothing if anything from my constant business travel years) but how effective is noise cancelling with crying babies and such?

I do have better headphones for home use, but I always travel with earbuds since I travel light and don't want to bother with bigger. That's also why I don't like the bluetooth Aukey earbuds I have at the moment. Compared to previous bt headphones I was impressed with the audio and the stability of the connection (aptx stuff?) but I forget to charge them and so I need to carry backup which is kinda dumb and I'd rather have something that can fall back to wired. I found the Plantronics BackBeat Go 410 which has a dual charging/3.5mm cable I thought was cool but the ergonomics look dodgy and reviews seem middling.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I don't really mind the droning engine noise (its soothing if anything from my constant business travel years) but how effective is noise cancelling with crying babies and such?

It helps with everything. ANC is a god send for traveling.

I spent way too much on my Bose but they are worth every penny because of their comfort and ANC.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Be aware if you wear glasses that the over ear NC doesn't work as well without that good deal. Still good if you can take your glasses off but something I wish I knew before getting them.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have the ATH-M70x and I also like them very much.
They don't have that oomph in the low end that you'd expect from a closed backed headphone, but they're crystal clear. Also they respond very well to EQing.

I use them with a Little Dot MkIII tube amp fed from a Schiit Modi 3 DAC and the neutral character of the drivers lets the tubes shine. Tube rolling with these is fun. I will be ordering a Loki EQ in the next few weeks and I think I am going to have a lot of fun with that.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

it's time to retire my can collection. I keep A/Bing my Focal's trying to justify them, but I have no use for these cans now. my HifiMan Arya's do 90% of what I need and tonally they're absolutely amazing. and when I don't need them, the Sony WH-900N fills the gap really well for any closed back needs. plus I had a chance to demo the Headphone 700 from Bose and well.... I was actually stunned by how good that unit sounds.

thinking about putting my focal elegia's and focal elex's up for sale. would there be any interest on these as a set? I'll put up an SA Mart thread shortly if so. all would come w/ original boxes, wires, etc.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 19, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wish the Audeze LCD-X was about 250 grams lighter then I'd be in the same boat. Perfect listening experience apart from that 650 grams shifting around on your head every time you move slightly. Also hope your reflexes are good if you look straight down.

Your ears will probably stop them moving too far and falling off entirely but it's not a good thing to experience.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 19, 2019

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
For my home PC that I do my majority of gaming on, I use Astro A40's, plugged in to my Xbox controller. Comfort is great, sound is adequate. The problem is that since I have a cord going from the headset to the controller, I'll constantly yank the controller off the desk, the headset off the desk, or both.

I'd like to try a wireless headset, but I hear the Astro A50's get static on them and are lossy. Is there a set of headphones that are:

- Budget - $200-600
- Needs a boom mic for voice chat, I guess if this is the dealbreaker then I can get a desk mic but I'd rather not.
- Rock solid wireless connection, preferably lossless
- Over-ear, multi-hour comfort like the A40's, open-air is fine.
- Can't have any noticeable latency since I use for gaming
- Bonus if it has a base station that can recharge it, and has optical-in. Another bonus would be having Bluetooth, and/or Aux-in 3.5 jack so I could use it wired, just for futureproofing.
- Preferred Tonal Balance - Best-sounding headphones I ever had were the AKG K240's I used for 20 years. Comfort was terrible on those but closest to that sound profile is ideal. I'm not an audiophile though so anything between A40 and K240 I'd barely know the difference.

Anyone know what would tick off the most boxes?

edit: Googling around, I spotted the Steelseries Arctis Pro, it has literally every feature I wanted and comes with two batteries so you can swap one out to charge in the base station. The only negative I saw in reviews was someone said there can be white noise, some are claiming newer models dont have it if you don't crank it up all the way. Are there any other competing headsets in this class?: https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Arctis-Wireless-Headset-playstation-4/dp/B079YBKT3H/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DancingShade posted:

Wish the Audeze LCD-X was about 250 grams lighter then I'd be in the same boat. Perfect listening experience apart from that 650 grams shifting around on your head every time you move slightly. Also hope your reflexes are good if you look straight down.

Your ears will probably stop them moving too far and falling off entirely but it's not a good thing to experience.

Clearly you just need to tie a helium balloon or two to your headphones.