Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

"Neutral-Good is the alignment most often found in cyberpilgrims and Afrofuturists. Dracula and Popeye are both Neutral-Good.

Chaotic-Good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

how dare you release this demo in this condition? what sort of absolute doghsit loving hacks are you? eat my piss

loving it so far, haven't got into a single fight yet but the writing is top notch

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

My life is complete.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Clench yourself before you drench yourself might have actually killed me

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Gentlemen, we have achieved Barkception.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I'm really understanding what you guys meant with the combat needing loads of work. I feel like it's on the verge of being fun but missing a lot of stuff. It's too slow for one thing.

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
The combat improved ENORMOUSLY in the past week. It was an absolute disaster one week ago. Some simple tweaks to balance made a huge difference.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

As I said, on the verge of being fun. Not complete trainwreck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Playtesting massively helped the combat, feedback from me and everyone else was able to lead to some tweaks that greatly improved the feel, but yeah obviously it's not where it needs to be yet.

I'm glad I was able to help get this demo out but I just left the tog discord and don't plan on returning.

Bhroom, if you read this, I don't think you're a malicious person, but I've seen in my short time working with you that you have several bad habits as a lead that make you ill-suited to your position. You don't trust your team and you keep trying to resolve problems with the game as if they were personal conflicts, dealing with people one on one instead of simply having a meeting and hashing out the core gameplay issue. I won't go on, but I really think if you want this game to ever be released you should divest yourself entirely and hand the reins to someone else, assuming any of the old team even wants to continue working on this. And if they don't, I really think you should just pick this demo as your moment to let the project die. Maybe you're on the hook legally and you can't do the latter, I dunno. Please don't see this as an attack, I have nothing against you personally.

Even the best case scenario for the future of this game would require people to put in a lot of unpaid hours of work, hoping for a percentage of the sales, and I strongly advise against this path for anyone reading this, especially with the current project lead in charge. Your time would be better suited doing paid work or working on a project of your own. Do not chain yourself to a project that is already 5 years late. I only worked QA to help a portion of the work several talented people did for the last 6 years see the light of day. If some kind of miracle happens and it gets back on track I'd probably be willing to do more QA again but that's just because I'm stupid and close friends with two of the original team. The game could be fixed and finished, I have no doubt about that, I just don't know if it's worth it at this point.

The main lesson to take away here for any ambitious young devs is that, even though a manager is a crucial position on a development team, you shouldn't organize the legal power of your studios vertically. Form a small co-op and give everyone the ability to vote on any major decision involving your company, or else you can end up in a position where one person holds the keys to something you put years of your life into and takes it somewhere you can't follow.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I am ABSOLUTRLY dumb enough and desperate enough for credit on something that isn’t a joke-game that I would totally help out goon projects for free, but the only things I could offer would be writing and gameplay and/or level design, neither of which are ever needed.

I wasn’t a backer so I can’t play the demo yet but I’m glad the writing’s great. Any ETA on when the miserable unwashed masses will get a link?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I got the demo right as I was about to go to bed, so I thought I’d just check out the character creator real quick. I should have known better from what I’ve heard from the PAX thingy years ago.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Barkley 2 demo is GOOD

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My main problem with the demo has been information conveyance and UI stuff. In the terminals, there's no universal 'go back' or 'exit' button, which means leaving them is kind of annoying. You have to follow a different mental path to get out every time, depending on what screen you're currently on, when I'm expecting a single button press to do it. It's also kind of a pain that there's no way to change the controls from within a game, you have to go back to the main menu to do it. I know the game autosaves, but it doesn't FEEL like it autosaves, if you follow, so I'm always expecting to lose a bunch of progress if I back out. It also took me waaaay too long to figure out how to level up - I guessed that the iron cross in the bottom left probably meant I could, but clicking it did nothing, and I couldn't see an obvious option in the quick menu or in the terminals.

In combat, I found that I can tell where enemies are no problem, and I can point at them and shoot just fine, but everything beyond that is intensely confusing. I can't really see the HP bars at all. I have no idea when the fish are actually going to attack, and when they do their attacks seem to come at me way too fast to react to. Picking which gun i want to be using at any given time is also kind of a pain, but that might be a me problem - the default direction that the mouse wheel scrolls through the bandolier is the opposite of what I expect from how the gun's are arranged along the bottom of the screen, and I never got around to fixing it because as I said, it felt like my progress wasn't safe.

The fact that the only way to get rid of gun's is at a terminal is a problem, IMO. I've been playing a lot of the original Phantasy Star Online lately, and filling your tiny inventory and having to go back to the ship to sell your poo poo is a pain, but in PSO you always had the option to throw your useless poo poo on the ground to clear space. Barkley 2 has the same problem, but worse - there's no option to throw gun's away that I found, and there's no telepipe equivalent to get back to where you can dispose of your gun's quickly. Having to leave potentially amazing gun's behind when you have a Polarized Broken Minigun of the Pensioner or whatever taking up a bag slot sucks. Also, breeding is a very tedious process with M+KB controls, but smelting when you're at smelt cap - which I reached very early - feels super wasteful.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 17, 2019

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Dabir posted:

My main problem with the demo has been information conveyance and UI stuff. In the terminals, there's no universal 'go back' or 'exit' button, which means leaving them is kind of annoying. You have to follow a different mental path to get out every time, depending on what screen you're currently on, when I'm expecting a single button press to do it. It's also kind of a pain that there's no way to change the controls from within a game, you have to go back to the main menu to do it. I know the game autosaves, but it doesn't FEEL like it autosaves, if you follow, so I'm always expecting to lose a bunch of progress if I back out. It also took me waaaay too long to figure out how to level up - I guessed that the iron cross in the bottom left probably meant I could, but clicking it did nothing, and I couldn't see an obvious option in the quick menu or in the terminals.

In combat, I found that I can tell where enemies are no problem, and I can point at them and shoot just fine, but everything beyond that is intensely confusing. I can't really see the HP bars at all. I have no idea when the fish are actually going to attack, and when they do their attacks seem to come at me way too fast to react to. Picking which gun i want to be using at any given time is also kind of a pain, but that might be a me problem - the default direction that the mouse wheel scrolls through the bandolier is the opposite of what I expect from how the gun's are arranged along the bottom of the screen, and I never got around to fixing it because as I said, it felt like my progress wasn't safe.

The fact that the only way to get rid of gun's is at a terminal is a problem, IMO. I've been playing a lot of the original Phantasy Star Online lately, and filling your tiny inventory and having to go back to the ship to sell your poo poo is a pain, but in PSO you always had the option to throw your useless poo poo on the ground to clear space. Barkley 2 has the same problem, but worse - there's no option to throw gun's away that I found, and there's no telepipe equivalent to get back to where you can dispose of your gun's quickly. Having to leave potentially amazing gun's behind when you have a Polarized Broken Minigun of the Pensioner or whatever taking up a bag slot sucks. Also, breeding is a very tedious process with M+KB controls, but smelting when you're at smelt cap - which I reached very early - feels super wasteful.

Gonna second a lot of this in terms of quality of life etc. Some sort of autosave ui blorp or pop up would be great, eventually, although i know it is a demo and not high priority!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
So what was that demo that somebody posted here last week?

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Charles posted:

So what was that demo that somebody posted here last week?

That was for Barkley 3

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh yeah, a couple of other things. I got stuck on the map screen the first time I brought it up, because no keys closed it and I couldn't see the exit button at the bottom. The animation for it folding away is nice and all, but when you don't know what you're looking for it's nearly invisible. Having to go into the quick menu and click the map button every time I wanted to check where I was was real infuriating, a dedicated map button would be a big help there. Also, it was weird that notes, items, map and so on were accessed from the quick menu, but when you closed them you went back to gameplay, I feel like that should have taken you back to the quick menu.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Dabir posted:

Oh yeah, a couple of other things. I got stuck on the map screen the first time I brought it up, because no keys closed it and I couldn't see the exit button at the bottom. The animation for it folding away is nice and all, but when you don't know what you're looking for it's nearly invisible. Having to go into the quick menu and click the map button every time I wanted to check where I was was real infuriating, a dedicated map button would be a big help there. Also, it was weird that notes, items, map and so on were accessed from the quick menu, but when you closed them you went back to gameplay, I feel like that should have taken you back to the quick menu.

I think You can access maps by pressing the M key

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

FrankieSmileShow posted:

The combat improved ENORMOUSLY in the past week. It was an absolute disaster one week ago. Some simple tweaks to balance made a huge difference.
This. A lot of things the team has been saying for years were finally impossible to ignore when all playtesters were loudly saying the same things during the push to get a demo out. Thanks to this some common-sense and QoL fixes were implemented for the demo - 50% faster gun firing rate (guns used to be much slower), much less enemy HP, loads of fixes to weapons to fix the previously broken gameplay loop (it was all too common to end up in a game-ending negative spiral of lovely guns and going low on ammo), and more. Some good first baby steps towards making B2 combat good.

One playtester described the result as turning the first dungeon (sewers) from a long dull slog, into a reasonably-sized easy first dungeon.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 17, 2019

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Post your favorite npc.

Mine is Babo.

PS. I had super difficulties downloading from that itchio link until I clicked the "hmm trouble downloading???" button and checked the alternative download method. Then it downloaded just fine.

Just a little tip from a fellow gamer, heh...

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm amazed that it took until now to increase the gun'sbrasting rate. I pray to clispaeth that more sane improvements are allowed.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I've gotten out of the hoosegow, and now all my paths out are blocked by Dark Drakerz. I'm guessing I reached a dead end, or the end of the demo.

Also, I paid Wilmer's rent and he still got evicted :negative:

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Rolling around trying to figure out quest timing conflicts for the B2 wiki... I need more neuro-s to fix the mortgage and eviction during the same initial housing authority visit. Enjoying B2. I think it’d work on the Nintendo Switch

Novasol posted:

I paid Wilmer's rent and he still got evicted

Also need to know if this is bug or intentional (for the B2 wiki)

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 17, 2019

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shanty posted:

I think You can access maps by pressing the M key

Huh, right you are. Must have missed that.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Tried running the demo on macos with wine and it didn't immediately work so I gave up and tried not to cry

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Novasol posted:

I've gotten out of the hoosegow, and now all my paths out are blocked by Dark Drakerz. I'm guessing I reached a dead end, or the end of the demo.

Also, I paid Wilmer's rent and he still got evicted :negative:

Afaik that shouldn't happen. I struggled to fix all the permutations of Wilmer for a long time back in the day, and I could've sworn it finally worked as intended, but I guess there is still some scenario that was overlooked.

Or the recent changes to get this demo out broke him once again.

There's still a chance to redeem yourself (much) later if that hasn't been changed (and is included in the demo).

Vipershark
Nov 13, 2010

mp5 posted:

What does the backer update say

Can someone post the text? I backed through Humble/PayPal but would like to see the backer-only update. I haven't gotten an email.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

quote:

For backers only

Demo Time:
First of all, Happy Father’s Day to all Fathers of Backers and Backers who are Fathers.
I’m going to attempt to keep this short but a few disclaimers that should be understood before firing up this vidcon:

This represents only a week of concerted issue repair and bug fixing. There are still lots of little issues, and probably a few big ones. (a massive thank you to the small crew of peeps who helped play test and bug fix!)

EXPECT YOUR GAME TO BREAK AT SOME POINT DUE TO A BUG.

EXPECT SOME QUESTS TO SUDDENLY BE UNRESOLVABLE DUE TO BAD QUEST LOGIC.

EXPECT A LACK OF POLISH AND EFFECTS IN PLACES DUE TO THE WORKING NATURE OF DEVELOPMENT.

This demo includes Character Creation, Tir na nOg, The Sewers, and The Hoosegow. Anywhere else that you go will probably immediately lock you out and keep you from exploring.

This demo is not intended to represent the entire working state of the rest of the game. The rest of the game needs a lot more work. This first demo is just to show backers what exactly was worked on and have it playable. (see the last update for a better state of the quests)

Gamepad works is most situations but crucially, doesn’t let you select objects far away. This will lock you out of the sewers. We tried to get this ready by today but ran out of time. If you want to play with gamepad, the only thing to do right now is unplug controller when you can’t manipulate something, use your mouse, then plug gamepad back in. It should reconnect automatically.

Balance has been tweaked towards the easy side, but there are certain unlucky combinations of gun’s that could keep you from advancing. This is a balance and design issue but is hopefully rare. If you encounter diminishing returns, best to start over.

DOWNLOAD HERE FROM ITCH:  THE BARKLEY 2 JANKY DEMO
NOTE: This update is going out to backers only just to make sure the demo is working on with a broader audience.  A Public Demo will come out later as soon we know there are no SERIOUS issues.  I'll just make the itch.io page above public and tweet it out.
Comments – if you want to comment on the build, there are a few opportunities to:
1. Here in this update.
2. Google Form - https://forms.gle/hn6dHmmRNxrfUM8J8. This is just a way to either comment or report a bug if you so desire.  We have our own ticket tracking system so this is just for anyone who wants to voice anything.If we do anything like this in the future, this will certainly evolve.
3. GitHub Issues - https://github.com/talesofgames/barkley2_bugs/issues. Same kind of thing as the one above but probably more geared towards specific issues. I don’t expect many people to use this but it’s there regardless.
4. Discord – we have a development discord that we will reorganize to get everyone who is interested a place to chat. I think we’ll get all backers a link sometime this week. In the next update I’ll have information about that (as well as BBALL TACTICS).
The demo also has a steep learning curve at points. So, I’m going to explain just a few things:

Saving

The game saves automatically.  If something doesn't make sense or the game freezes up or crashes, you should be able to start the game again and load your save to the spot right before the crash happened.  When totally stuck, delete your User/(name)/AppData/Local/Barkley2 folder.  The folder is hidden so you'll need to turn on the ability to see it in Folder Options.

Maps

You can access maps by pressing the M key or clicking Q for the Quickmenu and then selecting MAPS at the top. The TNN Map is not finished pixel art but it does have two places on the map that can point you to the right direction:  

When you start the game you should buy a map from Dubre, who is right where X1’s face is on the map above. After that, you can explore around, but 3 points to touch on are:

Tutorial Classroom – This is relatively light but has text descriptions of all the systems in the game, in some form or another.

Pay Rent – this is your first quest in the game, on the West Side of town.

Sewers – This is the combat area in the game, and at the North of Town.

Those three places should give you enough time to wander around and get the gist of the game.

Smelting and Reloading

The game cycle works by having you collect a bunch of gun’s and destroy the ones you don’t want for materials or “smelt points” that can be used to refill your other gun’s with ammo. The UI of the Utility Menu is admittedly less-than-efficient in this process but you just need to head to GUN’S -> SMELT, and then GUN’S – RELOAD in order to get this done. 

Breeding

While breeding gun's is consciously obtuse, the end results of most gun's are fairly simple.

Unless gun's are wildly different in value, their "child" will almost always get stronger.  Since this demo is only really dropping the same value gun's, you should always expect a better gun as a child.  There is no need to learn the system inside and out. 

That said, there are some AFFIXES that are bad.  Those are intentional and are supposed to push players to breed OUT those bad genes and keep the good ones.

There are a lot of gun drops in the game, and lots and lots of materials to play with.  The design focus is one experimentation and not on maximizing the stats of "the perfect gun."

Experiment and hopefully you'll enjoy!

That's it for now.  I'll follow up on the first few days of this demo being out mid-week.
Liam

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Chas McGill posted:

I'm amazed that it took until now to increase the gun'sbrasting rate. I pray to clispaeth that more sane improvements are allowed.

I really liked it back when pistols and SMG's had a firing rate of 1 bullet every 1 or 2 seconds. Truly enjoyable.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

LOL he still thinks it's coming out

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Hentai Jihadist posted:

LOL he still thinks it's coming out

Give it a few centuries.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

"Delays are temporary, mediocrity is forever."

-Charles Barkley

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Gortarius posted:

Give it a few centuries.

Maybe time will turn out to be cyclical like the discworld golems believe and eventually time will cycle back onto itself and a golem will deliver the demo code to the next ToGsters at the start of their project.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

it is hypocritical that they can call eachother halflings but we have to call them hobbits

gdi this game has already made me lol making it at the very least the third funniest game ever made

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my favorite npc so far is the obliging guy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the demo is already better than double fine’s extremely thin spacebase df-9, which they apparently still sell on steam

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

sell demo for 3 dollars on steam, use money to spur another burst of development leading to the next section of the game being released at a lower quality in 5 years, repeat and finish the game in 2035, then retroactively declare that it was episodic and this was what was supposed to happen

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

I paid for this game, but not through kickstarter but like right after through the website- can i get a demo copy pl0x

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cheen posted:

I paid for this game, but not through kickstarter but like right after through the website- can i get a demo copy pl0x
Someone linked it a few pages back and the link worked for me.

Frankie said they'll link it on twitter once they feel comfortable with the demo being somewhat playable by most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

oddium posted:

the demo is already better than double fine’s extremely thin spacebase df-9, which they apparently still sell on steam

I wonder if they will put Barkbase Cyberdwarf-9 on the Microsoft store now that they own it