Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

loving WHAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_episode_of_The_Colbert_Report#Cameos

Keith Olbermann
Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ)
Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO)
Gen. Raymond T. Odierno, Army Chief of Staff
Paul Krugman, economist
Steven Pinker, psychology

:blessed:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I guess "just now" is remembering

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1139661226181562368

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Scalia was one of the justices who voted in favor of it being legal to burn the flag

rip comrade scalia

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
The Chafeementum continues to grow, now in Libertarian form!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/r...JS7N/story.html

quote:

PROVIDENCE — Lincoln D. Chafee, the Republican-turned-independent-turned-Democrat who served as Rhode Island’s governor and as a US senator, is now a member of the Libertarian Party.

“I bought property in Wyoming and registered to vote out there in my fourth party — I’m a Libertarian,” Chafee said Tuesday while in Providence. “It’s what I’ve always been".

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

A Handed Missus posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_episode_of_The_Colbert_Report#Cameos

Keith Olbermann
Paul Krugman, economist

:blessed:

It was more a reaction to Huckabee (?), Kissinger, & Cookie Monster but sure

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

This is so funny

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well
Jon Stewart, television host, host of The Daily Show
Randy Newman, musician (on piano)
Jeff Daniels, actor
Sam Waterston, actor
Keith Olbermann, sports and political commentator
David Remnick, journalist
Tom Brokaw, news anchor
Katie Couric, journalist
Charlie Rose, television host
Ken Burns, documentary film director
Lil Buck, dancer
Ric Ocasek, musician
David Hallberg, ballet dancer
Trevor Potter, political figure, legal counsel for Colbert Super PAC
Bryan Cranston, actor
Tim Meadows, actor (portrayer of P.K. Winsome) (SNL Alumni)
Alexi Lalas, soccer player
Jonathan Batiste, musician (would go on to be Colbert's bandleader on The Late Show)
Cookie Monster, character from Sesame Street
Big Bird, character from Sesame Street
James Franco, actor
George Saunders, author
Dean Kamen, entrepreneur
Toby Keith, musician
Lesley Stahl, journalist
Jake Tapper, journalist
Jeffrey Toobin, lawyer, legal analyst
Neil DeGrasse Tyson, astrophysicist
Peter Frampton, musician
Andy Cohen, television personality
Christiane Amanpour, journalist
Grover Norquist, political figure
David Gregory, journalist
Willie Nelson, musician
Doris Kearns Goodwin, historian
Matt Taibbi, journalist
Bing West, author
Brian Greene, theoretical physicist
Mandy Patinkin, actor
Cyndi Lauper, musician
Yo-Yo Ma, cellist
Andrew Young, politician
Andrew Sullivan, blogger
Michael Stipe, musician
Francis Collins, physician-geneticist
Samantha Power, US Ambassador to the United Nations
Kareem Abdul Jabar, former NBA player
Barry Manilow, musician
Mayor Bill de Blasio (D-NY)
Jeff Tweedy, musician
Patrick Stewart, actor
Stone Phillips, television reporter (first guest)
Joe Quesada, comic book editor
Cass Sunstein, legal scholar
Arianna Huffington, columnist
Garrett Reisman, astronaut
Jimmy Wales, co-founder of Wikipedia
Maureen Dowd, columnist
Richard Clarke, counter-terrorism expert/analyst
Alan Alda, actor
George Lucas, film director
Henry Kissinger, diplomat
Mark Hamill, actor
Elijah Wood, actor
Terry Gross, NPR host
Norm Ornstein, political scientist
Jim Cramer, television personality
Ed Viesturs, corporate speaker
Shepard Fairey, street artist
Emily Bazelon, journalist
David Leonhardt, journalist
Bo Dietl, former detective
Mike Huckabee (R-AR), politician, former Governor (Who Made Huckabee?)
Robert Pinsky, poet
Gloria Steinem, feminist intellectual
Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC)
Bob Costas, sportscaster
Nate Silver, writer
Dan Savage, gay rights activist
Eliot Spitzer (D-NY), politician, former Governor
Thomas Friedman, journalist
Mark Cuban, businessman
Paul Krugman, economist
Jim Martin, Jesuit priest
Jonathan Alter, journalist
Pussy Riot, musicians (taped)
Vince Gilligan, television creator (taped)
Bill Clinton, 42nd President of the United States (taped)
J. J. Abrams, film director (taped)
U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan (taped)
Staff members outside of Studio (taped)
Tek Jansen, The Colbert Report character (animated)
Esteban Colberto, The Colbert Report character (taped)
Terry W. Virts, astronaut (taped on COLBERT)
Evelyn Colbert, Colbert's wife
Madeleine Colbert, Colbert's daughter
John Colbert, Colbert's son
Peter Colbert, Colbert's son
Smaug, character from The Hobbit film series (CGI)
Alex Trebek, television host

Are all cancelled if they weren't already.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I will never get tired of these

Ted Cruz is Flowey?

Any one of thes eman could have killed Kissinger and didn't. For shame.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ted Cruz is Flowey?

That implies he once had the capacity to care about others and might yet develop it again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MaxieSatan posted:

That implies he once had the capacity to care about others and might yet develop it again.

You're right, he's grown-up Chara (fan interpretation).

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lmao

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/genepark/status/1139577151362076672?s=21

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

You're right, he's grown-up Chara (fan interpretation).

I don't see how he's going to gain the extra height at his age to become a giant defenseman.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

marktheando posted:

Henry Kissinger, diplomat

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Red, commanded by retired Marine Corps Lieutenant General Paul K. Van Riper, adopted an asymmetric strategy, in particular, using old methods to evade Blue's sophisticated electronic surveillance network. Van Riper used motorcycle messengers to transmit orders to front-line troops and World-War-II-style light signals to launch airplanes without radio communications.

Red received an ultimatum from Blue, essentially a surrender document, demanding a response within 24 hours. Thus warned of Blue's approach, Red used a fleet of small boats to determine the position of Blue's fleet by the second day of the exercise. In a preemptive strike, Red launched a massive salvo of cruise missiles that overwhelmed the Blue forces' electronic sensors and destroyed sixteen warships. This included one aircraft carrier, ten cruisers and five of six amphibious ships. An equivalent success in a real conflict would have resulted in the deaths of over 20,000 service personnel. Soon after the cruise missile offensive, another significant portion of Blue's navy was "sunk" by an armada of small Red boats, which carried out both conventional and suicide attacks that capitalized on Blue's inability to detect them as well as expected.

At this point, the exercise was suspended, Blue's ships were "re-floated", and the rules of engagement were changed; this was later justified by General Peter Pace as follows: "You kill me in the first day and I sit there for the next 13 days doing nothing, or you put me back to life and you get 13 more days' worth of experiment out of me. Which is a better way to do it?"[1] After the reset, both sides were ordered to follow predetermined plans of action.

After the war game was restarted, its participants were forced to follow a script drafted to ensure a Blue Force victory. Among other rules imposed by this script, Red Force was ordered to turn on their anti-aircraft radar in order for them to be destroyed, and was not allowed to shoot down any of the aircraft bringing Blue Force troops ashore.[2] Van Riper also claimed that exercise officials denied him the opportunity to use his own tactics and ideas against Blue Force, and that they also ordered Red Force not to use certain weapons systems against Blue Force and even ordered the location of Red Force units to be revealed.[3]

This led to accusations that the war game had turned from an honest, open, free playtest of U.S. war-fighting capabilities into a rigidly controlled and scripted exercise intended to end in an overwhelming U.S. victory,[2] alleging that "$250 million was wasted".[4]

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that story is great after you learn that red abused the rules to do a bunch of physically impossible metagaming bullshit. that fleet was sunk by fishing boats which had cruise missiles larger than the boats themselves mounted on them, because it wasn't specifically forbidden by the rules. van riper was essentially wasting everyone's time and a great deal of money to throw an extended tantrum and it owns.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that story is great after you learn that red abused the rules to do a bunch of physically impossible metagaming bullshit. that fleet was sunk by fishing boats which had cruise missiles larger than the boats themselves mounted on them, because it wasn't specifically forbidden by the rules. van riper was essentially wasting everyone's time and a great deal of money to throw an extended tantrum and it owns.

I mean, it's a great demonstration of the fact that those wargames are based on completely stupid rules that don't reflect reality sufficiently to be a meaningful simulation of anything. Normally that gets ignored because those rules are just intended to produce a predetermined result for masturbatory purposes. The time and money were wasted no matter what anyone involved did during the actual trials.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I don't think putting rules like "we aren't gonna track every tiny civilian boat because it would be an insane logistical nightmare" is really a bad abstraction, unless one player is being a rules lawyer and saying "we don't track them" means "they are invisible"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The rules were sound, but Ripper ignored them because he had a chip on his shoulder over not getting one last promotion before retirement.

His whole "we adopted an asymmetric strategy, actually" was bullshit that he made up after the fact. The whole purpose of the exercise was to model the effects of new electronic communications and intelligence. But Ripper refused to route his electronic messages through the simulation center, and instead just told his guys what to do directly. His justification that "he used bike messengers" made no sense, because his messages were getting to their destination instantly, and with better precision than even the electronically transmitted communications of his enemy, whose transmissions were partially scrambled by the simulation team, as per the exercise design. THis also prohibited Blue from using their intelligence gathering techniques, because Red was not feeding the system with any data, and this being an exercise with a limited scope, Blue couldn't have just conducted conventional physical recon instead. That is just one example of his decision to gently caress every other participant of the exercise over, the others were various versions of "na-ah, you missed!" and "you are totally dead, I hit you according to my private calculations that you aren't allowed to see" or "I definitely have a fleet of million torpedo boats, why, didn't you get the memo?"

Restarting the whole thing was the only way to salvage some value.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 10:36 on Jun 16, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Agnostalgia posted:

I mean, it's a great demonstration of the fact that those wargames are based on completely stupid rules that don't reflect reality sufficiently to be a meaningful simulation of anything. Normally that gets ignored because those rules are just intended to produce a predetermined result for masturbatory purposes. The time and money were wasted no matter what anyone involved did during the actual trials.

Not really because the effect wasn't contingent on the outcome, it was to provisde analysis of how the military handles information processing. In which it was purposefully frustrated by Ripper's decision not to share any information. The point wasn't to sink fake ships.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Seems like Ripper is a cool dude either way.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
considering those war games are The Entire US Armed Forces versus a much smaller force I'd cheat too

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
sean spicer swallows 35 pieces of gum a day

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Peanut President posted:

It was more a reaction to Huckabee (?), Kissinger, & Cookie Monster but sure

During the 2007-2008 Writer's Strike, Colbert, Jon Stewart, and Conan Obrien had a fake feud where they each took credit for Huckabee's popularity in that year's primary so they could have content without needing writers.

quote:

Who Made Huckabee?, also known as the Colbert/O'Brien/Stewart feud, refers to a mock rivalry that occurred among late night talk show hosts Stephen Colbert, Conan O'Brien and Jon Stewart in early 2008, reportedly over who was responsible for then–presidential candidate Mike Huckabee's success in the presidential primaries.[1]

In reality, however, the feud was concocted by the three comedians as a result of the 2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike.[2] Without writers to fuel their banter, the three comedians staged a crossover/rivalry in order to fill airtime and garner more viewers during the ratings slump.[3]

lol

e:

quote:

Reaction to the "feud" by both the public and the media was, and still is, nearly uniformly positive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Made_Huckabee%3F

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
that's the lamest goddamn thing ever

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Peanut President posted:

that's the lamest goddamn thing ever

Counterpoint: Hillary Clinton

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Counterpoint: Hillary Clinton

never heard of anybody trying to take credit for making her

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
okay so van riper was a fake oval office, but bolton and co are still loving dumbasses for pressing conventional conflict with iran

i feel like i heard felix say this on an episode of chapo, but as soon as the U.S. deploys boots whats stopping some highly trained quds force guys from buying a plane ticket to the continental U.S. to blow up a bunch of soft targets that the FBI cant even protect from feckless chuds like the tsarnaev brothers

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Takanago posted:

During the 2007-2008 Writer's Strike, Colbert, Jon Stewart, and Conan Obrien had a fake feud where they each took credit for Huckabee's popularity in that year's primary so they could have content without needing writers.

thats insanely epic lol, i remember talk show hosts growing beards in "solidarity" with their writers and thinking hey, another way to do that is to join them on the picket line

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

In 1997 NBC aired Schindler's List unedited and without commercials.

Tom Coburn, the Republican Oklahoma congressman, said that by doing this. NBC had brought television "to an all-time low, with full-frontal nudity, violence and profanity. It's an insult to decent-minded individuals everywhere". He added that airing film was "irresponsible sexual behavior".

Literally everyone called him a stupid prick, so he had to take it back a little: "My intentions were good, but I've obviously made an error in judgment in how I've gone about saying what I wanted to say." .

Yeah no poo poo.

Necrothatcher has issued a correction as of 13:06 on Jun 17, 2019

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Scalia was one of the justices who voted in favor of it being legal to burn the flag

How did that whole shitshow come about? When rage against the machine started burning flags on stage back in the 90's? Or was it some focus grouped culture war bullshit that they used to take the house in '94?

Also, the wargames thing is funny because any actual threat to a military operation is going to come from something you don't expect -- every battle plan goes out the window when you make contact with the enemy. Whoever you are opposing is going to "rules lawyer" the situation and exploit some technicality that you overlook in order to fight back, because there is no way you can fight a conventional war against the US military because you would get crushed hard. So yeah, if you want an actual appraisal of how well (or not well) you will do in that situation, you probably want to hire on a guy who would be the only one to recognize that the enemy's gate is down.

Feldegast42 has issued a correction as of 17:20 on Jun 17, 2019

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Feldegast42 posted:

Also, the wargames thing is funny because any actual threat to a military operation is going to come from something you don't expect -- every battle plan goes out the window when you make contact with the enemy. Whoever you are opposing is going to "rules lawyer" the situation and exploit some technicality that you overlook in order to fight back, because there is no way you can fight a conventional war against the US military because you would get crushed hard. So yeah, if you want an actual appraisal of how well (or not well) you will do in that situation, you probably want to hire on a guy who would be the only one to recognize that the enemy's gate is down.

Could be but I still doubt that they would have teleporting or faster than light motorcycle couriers.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

just remembered that every time general riper gets brought up a bunch of goons well-actuallys into the thread and this even occurs in c-spam. like they're actually defending the navys honor instead of laughing at the boondoggle of an exercise lmao

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fish of hemp posted:

Could be but I still doubt that they would have teleporting or faster than light motorcycle couriers.

this is why the us army always loses to aliens in movies

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Using motorcycles as RKKVs is probably illegal. Or copyright infringement.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Feldegast42 posted:

How did that whole shitshow come about? When rage against the machine started burning flags on stage back in the 90's? Or was it some focus grouped culture war bullshit that they used to take the house in '94?

This was just in the paper this weekend, check out this badass

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/14/us/flag-burning-cleveland.html

quote:

After Cleveland police officers arrested Gregory L. Johnson in 2016 as he burned an American flag outside the Republican National Convention, Mr. Johnson sued the city, saying the officers had violated his First Amendment rights.

He should know.

The Supreme Court had ruled decades before that flag burning was a protected form of speech. The case was Texas v. Johnson, and the defendant was the same Gregory L. Johnson. He had doused a flag with kerosene in 1984 during the Republican convention in Dallas.

This week, three decades after the court invalidated prohibitions on flag desecration in 48 states, the city of Cleveland agreed to pay Mr. Johnson $225,000 to settle his claim that officers had retaliated against him for an exercise of free expression.

Mr. Johnson, 63, said in his lawsuit that officers had used fire extinguishers to put out the burning flag and pushed him to the ground during the protest outside the convention hall in July 2016. He was charged with misdemeanor assault after two people claimed they had been burned in the incident. The charges were later dropped, and a judge dismissed charges against 15 other people arrested at the protest.
Cleveland did not admit to any of the claims in Mr. Johnson’s lawsuit and denied liability, a city spokesman said, adding that the city’s insurer will pay the settlement.

Mr. Johnson, a member of the Revolutionary Communist Party, has spent decades protesting what he describes as American imperialism and inequality, and said that he planned to use the settlement money to support causes in line with his ideology. “I’m a full-on volunteer for the revolution,” he said.

Legal experts said they were surprised to learn that Mr. Johnson had been arrested again, in part because the legal precedent for flag burning is clear — and also because they were surprised by his commitment.

“I didn’t know he was still at it,” said Amy Adler, a professor at the New York University School of Law.
The city’s agreement to pay Mr. Johnson to settle the lawsuit was announced just before Flag Day, which has been observed on June 14 for more than a century, although it is not an official federal holiday.

In 1989, when the Supreme Court ruled 5 to 4 that the Texas law under which Mr. Johnson had been charged with burning a flag was unconstitutional, the decision was met with fierce opposition. Months later, Congress passed the Flag Protection Act of 1989, which the Supreme Court overturned the next year.

A Gallup poll in 2005 found that a majority of American adults wanted to allow states to outlaw flag burning. In 2006, a proposed constitutional amendment failed to garner the two-thirds majority needed to be sent to the states for ratification by just one vote.

Leading politicians and presidential candidates from both parties have supported proposals to outlaw some forms of flag burning. On Saturday, President Trump backed a constitutional amendment proposed by Senator Steve Daines of Montana that would ban the practice outright. Mr. Trump suggested after the 2016 election that flag burners should be punished with jail time or loss of citizenship.
There are no signs that the current court will reconsider the issue any time soon, and at least two members of the court’s conservative majority, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh, have indicated that they hold the court’s 1989 decision in high esteem.

Ms. Adler said the most difficult First Amendment cases often involve speech or expression that a large portion of the public finds reprehensible. “It was a very painful case for the court and the country,” Ms. Adler said.
Katie Fallow, a senior lawyer at the Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University, said many Americans often disagree with court rulings on “lightning rod” issues like flag burning.

“The First Amendment and the Bill of Rights have long been viewed as — and were intended to be — somewhat counter-majoritarian to protect the rights of a minority,” she said, citing opinions that restrict prayer in schools or allow protests near funerals.

One of the nation’s foremost flag wavers, John Janik, chairman of the National Flag Day Foundation, said that although he found flag-burning protests despicable, he does not support laws that seek to criminalize the act.

“Anyone who would disgrace that flag or harm the flag is terrible and deserves all the disrespect you can give him, but this is the land of the free,” Mr. Janik said. “I’m not for a law that takes away that freedom.”

Mr. Johnson said he has burned many flags since he was first arrested for doing it in 1984, but he always does it deliberately, as a form of protest — not on a whim.

“It’s not a gimmick,” he said. “It’s something to make a serious condemnation of this system.”

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lol he's in Chairman Bob's party

Remember when they called for a protest and infowars psychos decided ANTIFA was going to overthrow the government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Feldegast42 posted:

It goes back earlier than that. The Supreme Court ruled in 1989 that banning flag burning as a form of protest was unconstitutional and affirmed the decision in 1990. A bunch of culture warriors wanted a constitutional amendment to ban flag burning in the 90s, but it was not something that was ever really gonna happen.

I have always understood, absent any real evidence mind you, that it was something that the news media got people riled up about in the 1980s by broadcasting anti-America protests from the 1970s to 1980s from overseas where they burned the American flag, and when folks realized that it pissed off pretty much every politician, it happened sporadically in the US when someone wanted to do something really transgressive.