Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

I was thinking summons since you cant do more than one in a fight without burning extremely rare resources and they build over time, but theyre not fully analogous. The full atb skill is just a skill to me since theres no cap on its usage.

I was thinking Full ATB skills because they're character unique and take the place of your regular action, but yeah if you want you can just do them every turn. Summons are, well, summons, not limit breaks. They're a lot like the FFX ones. I guess gestalt mode is the equivalent of aeon overdrives, although it's not as stupid because you can't save up like 5 of them in order to turbofuck every boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I would probably do a fiesta every month or so with those features and some other built in QOL like fast forward

The FF1 randomizer and Free Enterprise have both taught me that I don't want more FF, I want to be able to go from start to finish in about 3 hours. Fiesta gets close that mark but some of the usual speedbumps keep me from feeling like doing it more than once a year

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://projectdemi.com

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

You lovely exciting man

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Amppelix posted:

I have no problem with the entirety of the quickening system as it exists in the zodiac age, nor with the animations. It's a good system and the attacks are satisfying enough to watch over and over. The only problem is this batshit insane totally randomised damage thing.

At least the finishers do consistent damage so you can always count on it to at least do something.

Quickenings had an even bigger issue in base FF12, since instead of Mist Charges like TZA they burn MP.

Unless you got lucky and got an MP charge off the roulette for everyone right before you timed out, you were walking into the fight with 0 MP on everyone if the boss was still breathing.

You grab level 3 quickenings for triple base MP and then never, ever touched them once they couldn't reliably one shot a boss.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm playing FF7 for the first time on Switch, and while I know tidbits about the game from cultural osmosis, is there anything to know, like major missables (I understand there's optional characters,) or any noob trap stuff?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I'm playing FF7 for the first time on Switch, and while I know tidbits about the game from cultural osmosis, is there anything to know, like major missables (I understand there's optional characters,) or any noob trap stuff?

there is an absolute shitload of missable items/equipment and yes, characters, to the point where you'd probably need a dedicated guide for it all. there's also an entire lengthy sidequest that you can miss completely if you wait too long to start it

i'd say the biggest bullet points are the characters and that sidequest - look up how to recruit yuffie and vincent and how to start the wutai quest, and you should be fine enough

the game's also pretty easy on the whole (superbosses excluded of course) so it's not like you'd screw yourself too badly if you forgot to pick up a bauble or two

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Look up how to get Vincent and Yuffie and do their sidequests. They aren't permanently missable until pretty late into the game, but they both have a lot of unique dialogue in group scenes if you grab them as soon as possible, Yuffie especially. And they have the more involved sidequests in the game, Vincent especially expands a lot on the game's backstory. Besides that, I wouldn't describe any of the missables as really important, even if there's still a lot of it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

assuming you're still in midgar, there's actually 2 materia that are quite easy to miss, very handy, and which you don't get another chance to grab until way later in the game. The first one you get for doing the mayor's puzzle on the try(ie: if he says you're wrong, you have to reload a save to get it), the other one is in the tube right after you get red 13 and fight the boss that shows up with him(this is actually a trend where materia spawn right after you do a boss fight and are gone forever if you leave the room without picking them up, always look for a shiny object right after you kill a boss).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i forget, is blue magic easy to miss? i remember it feeling like id uncovered hidden lore when i was a kid but i might have just been being a kid about it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks for the responses, it's about what I figured so good to have confirmation.

Endorph posted:

Look up how to get Vincent and Yuffie and do their sidequests. They aren't permanently missable until pretty late into the game, but they both have a lot of unique dialogue in group scenes if you grab them as soon as possible, Yuffie especially. And they have the more involved sidequests in the game, Vincent especially expands a lot on the game's backstory. Besides that, I wouldn't describe any of the missables as really important, even if there's still a lot of it.

If I'm understanding the implication right, Yuffie and Vincent are post Midgar? One of the things I've gathered/assume is once you're done Midgar, you don't go back, so I've sort of been trying to get an idea of when I should keep my eyes peeled.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Oxyclean posted:

Thanks for the responses, it's about what I figured so good to have confirmation.

If I'm understanding the implication right, Yuffie and Vincent are post Midgar? One of the things I've gathered/assume is once you're done Midgar, you don't go back, so I've sort of been trying to get an idea of when I should keep my eyes peeled.

Yuffie and Vincent are after you get the overworld map. I think you can miss materia and stuff though

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

cock hero flux posted:

assuming you're still in midgar, there's actually 2 materia that are quite easy to miss, very handy, and which you don't get another chance to grab until way later in the game. The first one you get for doing the mayor's puzzle on the try(ie: if he says you're wrong, you have to reload a save to get it), the other one is in the tube right after you get red 13 and fight the boss that shows up with him(this is actually a trend where materia spawn right after you do a boss fight and are gone forever if you leave the room without picking them up, always look for a shiny object right after you kill a boss).

That one time when you run into Sephiroth and he hucks a materia at you then fucks off is great

I think it happens in the mansion basement or something?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Midgar is only like the first 4-5 hours of the game. There's a lot of stuff you can miss there but nothing that has a huge impact on the rest of the game.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
IIRC, there's two Enemy Skills that you can permanently miss chances of getting, but you don't have to worry about that until much much later. Trine is only casted by bosses, and is a pretty useful mid game Enemy Skill since it costs less MP than Aqua Breath or Beta and forms a nice trio of random encounter wiping Enemy Skills. The last opportunity for it is the final boss of Yuffie's main sidequest. The other is Pandora's Box which is a super late game multi target spell that's only cast once per game.

The best Enemy Skills come from Manipulating some of the most random of random enemies. Without a guide of what spells to get and where to get them, it's only okay.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I've probably replayed vii like seven times and not once have I ever done the mayor's puzzle correctly or even gotten everything there is to get in shiinra hq or seen every Easter egg in honeybee inn

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the mayor is named domino because they use the metaphor of a pizza to describe midgar sometimes

domino's pizza

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

MonsieurChoc posted:

Remake FFV with cartoony graphics and a built-in Fiesta mode.

one of the coolest things about ffx-2 is that they gave each dressphere / party member combination unique animations and victory poses, it would be so legit to have that for ffv

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

the mayor is named domino because they use the metaphor of a pizza to describe midgar sometimes

domino's pizza

just rushed out of work and screamed into the sky

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

just rushed out of work and screamed into the sky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlVFrktbcG0&t=218s

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Also the deputy mayor is called Hart in English, but his Japanese name could also be translated as Hut

It's pizza all the way down

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
mmm pizza

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Oxyclean posted:

For the trap stuff, the number of enemies you defeat by that person and the number of Limit Breaks they use, are how they get more Limits. You may think that the latest Limit is the greatest, but it takes much longer to use it without manipulating its growth and that takes a lot of time compared to sticking to the Level 1 you shoot off every couple of battles.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

For the trap stuff, the number of enemies you defeat by that person and the number of Limit Breaks they use, are how they get more Limits. You may think that the latest Limit is the greatest, but it takes much longer to use it without manipulating its growth and that takes a lot of time compared to sticking to the Level 1 you shoot off every couple of battles.

to go into more detail, limit breaks are in 4 tiers. you unlock the second limit of each tier by using the first limit 8 times, and you unlock the first limit of the next tier by killing 80 enemies (the counter resets after each unlock). the exception is tier 4, whose limits are unlocked by using a unique item gained through sidequesting, and only after all previous limits are unlocked

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Endorph posted:

domino's pizza

Veib posted:

Also the deputy mayor is called Hart in English, but his Japanese name could also be translated as Hut

It's pizza all the way down

At least no one is named Papa John

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mega64 posted:

I was talking about 3-5.

Speaking of 5, The Four Job Fiesta is live.

What's a good port of 5 that I can play on ps4, switch, or PC? I only ever had the Final Fantasy Anthology version and hell if I know where in my parents house that is buried. I've always wanted to do 4JF.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The most important missables in FF7 are in a particular spot when you return to Midgar for once. You should absolutely follow a guide then.

Also, steal from the Turks.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

What's a good port of 5 that I can play on ps4, switch, or PC? I only ever had the Final Fantasy Anthology version and hell if I know where in my parents house that is buried. I've always wanted to do 4JF.

Emulated GBA version with the sound restoration fix

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

The most important missables in FF7 are in a particular spot when you return to Midgar for once. You should absolutely follow a guide then.

Also, steal from the Turks.

Yeah, W-Item is really easy to miss if you just follow the game when you return to Midgar. The game even tries to go out of its way to make you miss certain items.

Also if you fail to get Trine from Materia Keeper you can get it from Stilva in the Gaea's Cliff Dungeons, the enemy that looks a bit like a smaller Materia Keeper but coloured red. You should also get Magic Breath from him too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there's also Might Guard, which i think is found by the squid dudes on the Wutai continent beach, and that can only be gained by using Manipulate to force them to cast it on you

and that's not even getting into the kooky bullshit that happens with the Pandora's Box skill

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

there's also Might Guard, which i think is found by the squid dudes on the Wutai continent beach, and that can only be gained by using Manipulate to force them to cast it on you

and that's not even getting into the kooky bullshit that happens with the Pandora's Box skill

Big Guard, yeah it can only be gained by manipulating Beach Plugs on the beaches near Costa Del Sol or the Gold Saucer.

White Wind too, which can only be gained by manipulating a Zemzelett near Junon. One of the best early enemy skills you can learn as it's similar to Aerith's Healing Wind limit but it also removes every single negative status.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 17, 2019

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
It's also worth noting that even if you miss tons of stuff the game is still easy, so unless it bothers you knowing that you missed something I wouldn't worry that much. You'll still pick up plenty of good stuff and enemy skills playing it blind. The exception is the optional characters, check a guide for them.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just finished 7 again after not having beat it in years. Forgot how abrupt the ending is. Also I kinda feel like most of the game is front loaded on disc 1. Disc 2 speeds up a lot of stuff, but it's not as bad as how disc 3 gets.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think the pacing is fine, the disc breaks are just weird. If it helps make sense, all the games actual gameplay content is repeated on each disc, the multiple discs were only requires because the cutscenes ate up that much space.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Barudak posted:

I think the pacing is fine, the disc breaks are just weird. If it helps make sense, all the games actual gameplay content is repeated on each disc, the multiple discs were only requires because the cutscenes ate up that much space.

Maybe it just felt weird to me, it's been a while since I play it so a lot of it was forgotten. All in all, the game still holds up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cock hero flux posted:

9's use automatically when they fill up and take a million years to fill, which means that 100% of limit breaks you get throughout a run will be in random trash encounters or 1 turn before beatrix one shots your entire party

9's formula is (n+=(1...spirit))>=256, though if you have high tide it's (n+=spirit)>=256 so if you don't have High Tide and if you have low Spirit, it can take as many as 256 offensive actions/hits taken to fill the gauge up. but if you have the cap of 50 Spirit with High Tide equipped, you'll always get Trance every sixth attack landed/hit received, which is so abundant you're almost guaranteed to get one for each character in every boss fight.

that said most players will skip High Tide because it's a very expensive skill, and of course Quina's Trance is useless(?) against bosses, so that doesn't exactly help unless you know the system inside out. 9 is kind of like 8 in that way, if you just roll with it certain parts of the systems will seem frustrating because they're extremely opaque but if you know exactly what you're doing then you can control everything.

it also kind of sucks though because you lose Trance if you get hit with Zombie and there's no way to immunize yourself against that

Bregor posted:

At least no one is named Papa John

president john shinra

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 18, 2019

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Barudak posted:

My favorite thing is that the speedrun takes advantage of that fact, where they glitch to the end and it loads the wrong FMV so everyone is flying around in front of inexplicable trains.
Reminds me of the Wild ARMS demo where they didn't have time to do it properly so it's literally just the full game with an arbitrary wall that says 'OK stop playing', but you can glitch past it and play the whole game for free :laugh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like how you can save Aeris by swapping with a SaGa Frontier cd at the right spot.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i'm kind of glad for 8's unintended limit break usage because Quistis feels way more a blue mage when you can just access her skillset like it were a command menu rather than something that comes up rarely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like how you can save Aeris by swapping with a SaGa Frontier cd at the right spot.

If you name her Aerith it'll restore the lines of code that enable you to revive her by shooting the airship fin exactly 3 times in the rollercoaster at the gold saucer.