Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Of Zelda and Link, which will you main?
Zelda
Link
View Results

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can't wait to see Nintendo try to place this in the next timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is there a full list of the unique weapons anywhere? I'm curious to see if I missed anything and if the Master Sword is in the game at all.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Frankston posted:

Is there a full list of the unique weapons anywhere? I'm curious to see if I missed anything and if the Master Sword is in the game at all.

it isn't as far as anyone knows

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
How does the multiplier based damage work exactly? I assume its better than a +1 upgrade but uh I'm kinda bad at hitting beats when poo poo gets hairy which is when I'd need the damage the most.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

MMF Freeway posted:

How does the multiplier based damage work exactly? I assume its better than a +1 upgrade but uh I'm kinda bad at hitting beats when poo poo gets hairy which is when I'd need the damage the most.

You get +1 damage for every level your beat combo is, up to +2 damage at max. Your damage is 1 when you don't have a beat combo, 2 when the beat triforce is sparking, and 3 when the triforce is flashing with multiple colors.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
After one kill you're at +1 damage so they're generally better than titanium in every way. Once you get to +2 it's also easier to keep your combo up since you're killing things so quickly.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

They are better in regular combat but worse for bosses unless you do them perfectly, usually, and at that point why not use a glass weapon?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This game was extremely good, the soundtrack is absolutely amazing, and it was completely worth my 25 euro-smackers.

Put the soundtrack out so I can buy it, cowards.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

That game was fantastic. Once you get Caladbolg there's really no reason to switch to any other weapon, really.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I got a spear and imbued it with obsidian early on and it carried me through the game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Obsidian weapons are great, but I prefer ruby for the health regen. Almost a shame that all the fancy weapons are in hyrule castle; you’re barely acquainted with one before you’ve got another.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did Necrodancer ever get any content updates? It would be neat if we got DLC or extra characters or dungeons in the future.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
CotN got an enormous expansion and a Dangan Ronpa crossover.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Permadeath Zelda down as well. Leaderboards say 20th so maybe not many doing that yet?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Permadeath seems kind of trivial if bottles are still in the game. I am not a good player and all 9 of my deaths occurred before finding one of the witches.

Just having bottles turned off in permadeath mode would make leaderboards etc much more interesting.

Either way, very fun and cool game, still need to figure out exactly how I'm going to replay it.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Permadeath mode should skip the intro stuff and just put you outside links home/the castle with a weapon/shield, shovel and torch instead of having you pick those up every time. It's a small thing but gets annoying really fast.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Stop dying imo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I did the daily yesterday and immediately went to the area behind Link's house and ran into a black Lynel and 4 black tekites and died in about 5 seconds.

I don't usually play games with daily challenges but it seems weird to me that a successful daily run would take an hour or two if you're good. I would think that's a bit high for that sort of gameplay.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

No Wave posted:

Permadeath seems kind of trivial if bottles are still in the game. I am not a good player and all 9 of my deaths occurred before finding one of the witches.

Just having bottles turned off in permadeath mode would make leaderboards etc much more interesting.

Either way, very fun and cool game, still need to figure out exactly how I'm going to replay it.

Mostly agreed, when you have 8+ hearts and one or more bottles with fairies + potions it becomes pretty easy. However, the leaderboard rankings are on time and step count, both of which are hard to get if you clear all of the map and get every item + piece of heart, so it can be challenging doing the bosses/dungeons without building up your hearts first.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What's the maximum number of targets needed to clear the bow&arrow minigame? 20 got me the larger quiver.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

What's the maximum number of targets needed to clear the bow&arrow minigame? 20 got me the larger quiver.

I got 25 and got the big quiver so I bet that's it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I was worried that the game didn't lend itself super well to "runs"/daily challenge but huh 25 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea1ZRKMbQyc

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

So I've finally hit the tipping point in permadeath where I just cruised through 3 dungeons without any sweat, after splatting a bunch of links in the first few screens beforehand. Here is my take on approaching it...

Your main goal at the start of a seed is to gather resources before you hit any dungeons. The checklist:
- Your warp lute. You can get one by running into Cadence in one of the dungeon areas. Lake hylia or lost woods is probably your best bet, maybe gerudo desert if its near where you start.
- A spear or broadsword (or flail?) to serve as your real weapon
- A fairy fountain where you can upgrade your weapon to titanium or obsidian, and the diamonds to do so
- A bottle, two if you can swing it
- A witch hut to buy potions
- Another full heart or two, if possible

Your main initial direction should be towards lake hylia. There you can get your lute, an item from king zora, a heart piece, a leech sword (depending on the zora item you get), and (with bombs) can probably take the daidra by the heart piece and grab his drop. The shikiah stone is right next to Cadence's cave too, which you can continuously raid for two hearts.

Gerudo desert is a good second destination, as you can get a lot of goodies / caves on the screens there. I haven't had much luck with lost woods early, since there isn't much there and the swamp can be really nasty early game.

Your warp lute is your life -- always keep it on a button (actually, you don't need to put it on a button -- you can pause and use the map to warp!) and feel free to use it to escape back and grab more hearts if a fight goes sour.

Stay away from elite monsters (Lynels, daidras, taluses, big stalfos, etc) if you can early game. A little bit later on when you land bombs you can start taking some of the easier non-palate swap ones, but you have to be really careful since you will die in 2 hits, if that. During this time take safe screens in order to grind up your diamonds.

Bombs are your most important resource early. With bombs you can take out elites, open up caves, and are a good oh poo poo button if you find yourself in a bad situation. Also talking about bad situations -- always feel free to GTFO if you think you are in trouble.

Also, it goes without saying to explore every cave that you can for drops, but feel free to bail and come back later if the fight looks nasty.

Once you have your kit ready you shouldn't have a hard time with the dungeons. From there just play it safe and try not to get swarmed or surrounded. Try to save your glass weapons for the boss.

And remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 17, 2019

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Is there an advantage to keeping the warp lute on a hot key instead of going to the menu map and selecting a destination from there?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nope.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pinterest Mom posted:

I was worried that the game didn't lend itself super well to "runs"/daily challenge but huh 25 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea1ZRKMbQyc

Yeah the game looks a lot different when someone isn’t playing super-safe and trying to find every single item

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

:doh: So many times while playing, I thought that it made so little sense that they made you waste an inventory button on the lute instead of just letting letting you warp from the regular map after you got it. It never occurred to me that I should actually try doing it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zarick posted:

I got 25 and got the big quiver so I bet that's it.
To be clear, is that the only upgrade? As in right now I have a maximum of 20 arrows.

I think I have an OK-ish grasp on the normal gameplay/movement/combat, but woof do I not know how to actually use the bow. Someone in the chat thread mentioned that it's "hold on beat, release on next beat" but I swear I tried for a good 20 minutes trying to do nothing but that and every time I pull back it hits me with a "missed the beat". It's also a complete roll of the dice as to whether I can pull off the reflect, but I can at least usually pull that off now with enough tries.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Is there any advantage to playing as a character other than Zelda? She gets a shield that's omnidirectional and can reflect melee damage, with no apparent downsides.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Is there any advantage to playing as a character other than Zelda? She gets a shield that's omnidirectional and can reflect melee damage, with no apparent downsides.

Well Link (and I think Cadence as well?) gets a melee spin move.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

It costs stamina to use

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

When I asked in a discord why it was so hard to reflect the immediate response I got was "don't play as Zelda if you want to do that".

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Feldegast42 posted:

Your main initial direction should be towards lake hylia. There you can get your lute, an item from king zora, a heart piece, a leech sword (depending on the zora item you get), and (with bombs) can probably take the daidra by the heart piece and grab his drop. The shikiah stone is right next to Cadence's cave too, which you can continuously raid for two hearts.

Thanks for these tips. I know it's random, but are certain landmarks (Lake Hylia) always in the same general area?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

It costs stamina to use

I was going to say that Link's shield burns stamina too, but I didn't notice how much lower the usage was. That explains it.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Also rather than a spin cadance gets a 2x3 shovel attack in front of them.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Link's shield is way easier to use, in that you can hold it without an upgrade. Also as noted it costs way less.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

My hot take is this is game is good.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Deviant posted:

afaik no one knows how to get to those stairs above the royal rapier yet.

If you have the flippers, there's a secret door in the moat outside of the castle on the north side that leads there. It goes to a free infusion.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nate RFB posted:

I think I have an OK-ish grasp on the normal gameplay/movement/combat, but woof do I not know how to actually use the bow. Someone in the chat thread mentioned that it's "hold on beat, release on next beat" but I swear I tried for a good 20 minutes trying to do nothing but that and every time I pull back it hits me with a "missed the beat".

Shooting the bow takes two full beats. Try counting the beats out loud, it really does help.

One two three four
One two three four
One two hold release
One two hold release
Move move hold release
Move hold release move
Hold release move move

Keep in mind you do not have to move for those two beats that you're shooting to keep your multiplier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Permadeath mode is no joke. I have 200 hours in necrodancer and it's still pushing my poo poo in. I'm not sure if it's actually that much harder than necrodancer, or I'm just not used to the patterns, but I'm having a ton of fun with it.