Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i just finished it then and i am seriously in shock and awe at how majestically terrible it was. i'd heard it fell apart at the end but didn't expect it to just... be like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
absolutely incredible. the biggest fiasco i've ever seen in my life

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

nankeen posted:

i just finished it then and i am seriously in shock and awe at how majestically terrible it was. i'd heard it fell apart at the end but didn't expect it to just... be like that

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tVR5Ju8gNys

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i keep trying to type out my thoughts and all i can really say is hahahaha what the gently caress

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you should read the books, they are also hilarious on a sort of boring meta level

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

V. Illych L. posted:

you should read the books, they are also hilarious on a sort of boring meta level
of course i've read the books, for most of the show i thought it was better than the books deserved but now i realise it's exactly as good as the books deserve, which is to say a solid few seconds of build-up followed by the longest, wettest, most horrifying shart of a generation, an evil fascist xenophobic pile of turds in which, and i cannot repeat this enough, people of colour are invariably gibbering sex fiends unless they are literal eunuchs

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
ideological trainwreck aside, narratively speaking i just don't understand how this happened. i do not understand how those writers more-or-less held it together for eight seasons and then ended it with that. how does that even happen

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

nankeen posted:

ideological trainwreck aside, narratively speaking i just don't understand how this happened. i do not understand how those writers more-or-less held it together for eight seasons and then ended it with that. how does that even happen

probably they were burned out and high on their own success

like, people blame the actors but i don't see that - i think they were just done about when they ran out of book and were increasingly fed up, eventually blatantly phoning it in under the (correct) assumption that they'd get away with anything

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
they were hired to do an adaptation and ended up having to take the broken pieces of the narrative and tie them together, somehow, when the original author couldn't even do that. it's like trying to put together a jigsaw puzzle live on stage as people keep throwing pieces from different puzzles on your table. eventually you just hammer together something that is good enough to air and be done with it

i pretty much checked out of the show after stannis burned shireen

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

They also just wanted to get done with it. HBO offered them like four more seasons with many episodes each and millions to earn, they pressed to do it all in one season that additionally only has six episodes, even though the seasons before that were already way shorter than what HBO wanted.
They rushed towards an end for three seasons without knowing what that end was, because even GRRM wasn't really that amazingly certain on how it will go. He had some general ideas which were shown, too, but no details. That goes to a point that he even pointed out that the show is now this and he will do something else.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
imagine how much madder everyone would be if there were three more twelve episode seasons building to an ending of similar quality lol

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
As a counterpoint to the "rushed" thing, almost nothing happened in the last few episodes. They had long cuts of people's faces, Tryion shifting chairs around etc. to stretch time. They capped the show that everyone loved for scenes like the red wedding as if it were the final episode of Full House or something.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I'd assume that's because I imagine those famous notes grrm gave them to make sure they can finish the show in case of him dying were not super detailed. He hinted already towards him having practically no real idea how it shall end, only the general framework being a thing. So maybe it was like "Dany goes mad because heritage as built up in the past 8 seasons but then Jon makes poopoo, then Bran does some magic and becomes rolling king, also white walker are dead because Arya was trained and hinted all the time to do so" and similar stuff, only that the details behind those rather big steps were obscure and unclear, especially since the show has already gone away from the books in the earlier seasons in some points. D&D being like they are instead decided to write their own ending with only the final points being in order, so they shoved every character together, turned it into medieval star wars and then quickly ended the entire arc behind ice and fire in three episodes plus a final tying up loose ends episode.

Also, subverted expectations of course. Famous quote.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if they had waited one more season they could have done the Best Ending, which is that all the events of westeros took place in the mind of a ukranian nuclear engineer as he lay dying of radiation poisoning in the rubble of vladimir ilyich lenin nuclear power plant

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Jackbootylicious

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/thedemocrats/status/1139908928383410176?s=21

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

nankeen posted:

Ralphthemoviemaker did a pretty good rundown of all of the ways season eight failed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jwelGsxEss

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Democrats, said much the same way someone says the aristocrats

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I thought "Democrats" was derogatory term used mainly by right wingers. "Democrat party" etc

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Katt posted:

I thought "Democrats" was derogatory term used mainly by right wingers. "Democrat party" etc

"Democrat Party" can be. "Democrats," usually not.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/ZWrKF3X.mp4

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
eighty hours of my life! gone!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gender reveal parties are getting really abstract

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
puppies :qq:

vanya still does that rocking-horse run when he's excited

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
every year my grandmother gives me $50 for my birthday and every year since i was about 12 i've tried to refuse it and threatened "you know i'm just going to spend it on drugs", for the first time ever this year i'm actually going to be spending it on drugs and it fills me with surprising shame and guilt

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hmm doesn't seem to be working... maybe if you out them on a treadmill?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

lol

I

Can't

E V E N

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

The Muppets On PCP posted:

gender reveal parties are getting really abstract

The last gender reveal party I went to no poo poo had the reveal be "they'll be their own person" and we had a purple cake.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

The last gender reveal party I went to no poo poo had the reveal be "they'll be their own person" and we had a purple cake.

congratulations your child is prince

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

idgi

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

congratulations your child is prince

Actually, in High Valyrian, that word doesn't have a ge--:commissar:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i hate that gender reveal parties is going to be the next crass non-event that we import from yankeeland

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

that unbelievably terrible (literally hard to tell what the gently caress it's even supposed to be) wallpaper is a pic of donald trump with a marketing-wank hashtag. they try to get you to dl the EXCLUSIVE FREE WALLPAPER so you can get spammed.

what i actually would possibly download: a live data wallpaper that tracked indictments and convictions or hatch act violations by agency or something actually interesting

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told