Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Pomp posted:

It takes mental effort to avoid charging after 10 years of 4 Nero

Same but distortions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean there’s Bayonetta if you want fewer things to press while basically playing the same game.

DMC is kind of specifically known for the this sort of play.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

ImpAtom posted:

I mean I agree. Charge should be automatic. It is a crappy part of the design.

manually holding down a releasing a button to charge shotgun or neros gun has a tactile feel to it that E&I auto charging doesn't have that makes the move have more impact. it also helps balance them so the game isn't completely destroyed. with something that powerful that leaves you almost completely unexposed, to the point where you can easily beat the whole game exclusively using this one move, it needs something to keep it even. you can argue that a single player game doesn't need to care about balance in this way but I can just as rightfully argue you don't need to use charge shot

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darealkooky posted:

manually holding down a releasing a button to charge shotgun or neros gun has a tactile feel to it that E&I auto charging doesn't have that makes the move have more impact. it also helps balance them so the game isn't completely destroyed. with something that powerful that leaves you almost completely unexposed, to the point where you can easily beat the whole game exclusively using this one move, it needs something to keep it even. you can argue that a single player game doesn't need to care about balance in this way but I can just as rightfully argue you don't need to use charge shot

The issue there is that it doesn't mean don't use it. It just means one of the game's buttons is effectively dedicated to being held down 24/7 which isn't interesting kind of gameplay decisions. I absolutely understand the need to balance it but most other weapons have interesting balance in terms of resource cost or difficulty of execution. Charge Shot doesn't really have much in the way of execution difficulty in that regards. It just amounts to "are you willing to hold the controller in an uncomfortable way/have to dedicate one of the most comfortable buttons on the controller to it."

DMC isn't always successful with tradeoffs (Hiya Dr. Faust) but usually the tradeoffs are interesting. DMCV is usually very good with that, with most weapons and actions having an interesting trade in exchange. Even V's charge moves have an interesting tradeoff in that they require you to keep your familiar still for a long period of time which increases the risk of them getting knocked out. Nero has no negatives for charging and the idea of it being for balance feels silly when you look at the other incredibly powerful moves all the characters have access to which are either lacking any balance or have far more engaging decisions then "never stop charging."

And even then there are a lot of ways they could make it more interesting. How about bullets that you charge up by damaging enemies, with more stylish combos giving greater charge, so you're building up to that big meaty moment? If you wanted to give it another negative then you also can lose charge by getting hit, similar to how Devil Breakers work if you wanted. (Though I don't think that'd be necessary.) You get the balance and the impact of a single big awesome shot without the annoyance of holding down a button. You could even have Devil Trigger charge it automatically if you wanted. (Hell, Super Nero auto-charges, doesn't he?)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 18, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Neros lesser power shots can be used as a combo tool and having auto charge would mess that up. Unless its an ability you can turn off

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I should trying putting shoot on trigger and gun switch on square sometime as Dante.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Neros lesser power shots can be used as a combo tool and having auto charge would mess that up. Unless its an ability you can turn off

An ability you can turn off would be fine. Though how would auto charge mess that up?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

An ability you can turn off would be fine. Though how would auto charge mess that up?

Because auto charging would override his less powerful Color Up shots. Those are the ones Nero loads into his gun manually but you dont hold square to use them (besides the first shot)

Unlike charge shots they trigger instantly and hit multiple times so you can extend combos.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 18, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Because auto charging would override his less powerful Color Up shots. Those are the ones Nero loads into his gun manually but you dont hold square to use them (besides the first shot)

Unlike charge shots they trigger instantly and hit multiple times so you can extend combos.

I am still not getting it sorry. Why wouldn't you be able to use them the way you do now?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I am still not getting it sorry. Why wouldn't you be able to use them the way you do now?

Because they're always charging. You can't not charge. I don't understand what you're not getting

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I mean making minor design changes to accomodate the game's evolution in a new game would be a lot less involved than expecting people to get extra fingers surgically attached to their hand.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

K8.0 posted:

I mean making minor design changes to accomodate the game's evolution in a new game would be a lot less involved than expecting people to get extra fingers surgically attached to their hand.

or, instead of surgery, you could just remap the controls to better accommodate you, the way everyone who takes these games seriously does.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeh, you don't need the arm break mapped to a shoulder button

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's not a mapping issue. There literally aren't enough buttons. Exceed, Lock On, Blue Rose, Devil Bringer, Devil Breaker all need a dedicated finger. There are only four shoulder buttons on a normal controller.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

K8.0 posted:

It's not a mapping issue. There literally aren't enough buttons. Exceed, Lock On, Blue Rose, Devil Bringer, Devil Breaker all need a dedicated finger. There are only four shoulder buttons on a normal controller.

Exceed: L2
Blue Rose: L1
Devil Bringer: R2
Lock On: R1

Melee: Square
Devil Breaker: Triangle

I remapped it this way after the demo and it sings like an angel.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

If it's always-on autocharge it messes up with combos that wanna do Color Up extensions partway thru, because you might just have the full Charge Shot by then.

Maybe having a short hold as a "toggle charge" could work?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Exceed: L2
Blue Rose: L1
Devil Bringer: R2
Lock On: R1

Melee: Square
Devil Breaker: Triangle

I remapped it this way after the demo and it sings like an angel.

You're telling me you can charge Break Ages while still being able to jump, melee, and DT with that setup? You must have the world's most flexible thumb. I sure as gently caress can't do it. Either that or you're claw gripping and if you are, seriously stop. It will give you arthritis, your hand isn't meant to be contorted that way.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

Either that or you're claw gripping and if you are, seriously stop.

🇳 🇴

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Pomp posted:

🇳 🇴

Of course you kid I hope. Claw grip will have you cursing at your hands by 40 trust and believe.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bust Rodd posted:

or, instead of surgery, you could just remap the controls to better accommodate you, the way everyone who takes these games seriously does.

Mapping blue rose onto a face button by default is absolutely a bad decision from Capcom though, and is definitely just a holdover from Dante being able to deal with that far better than Nero (which is not a good reason to do something.)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

K8.0 posted:

You're telling me you can charge Break Ages while still being able to jump, melee, and DT with that setup? You must have the world's most flexible thumb. I sure as gently caress can't do it. Either that or you're claw gripping and if you are, seriously stop. It will give you arthritis, your hand isn't meant to be contorted that way.

Part of the reason I set it up this way is that charging Break Ages is the least important thing I need to do in 99% of combat scenarios with Nero. Also I feel like the timing window for charging it is pretty tight so i usally start charging it during or at the end of an aerial combo and I feel like its usually ready to go by the time I hit the ground.

I also really only use Charged Break Ages in super specific fights with like Furies or something, nero's kit has so many tools at your disposal i never feel like i "need" it the same way i feel like i need everything else in his kit.

I have never and will never use claw grip, the only weird thing I do is sometimes as Nero or V i'll just hit the square and triangle buttons with my thumb at the same time.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
If you remal melee to square I strongly recommend that for Dante you swap weapon switch to circle and style to triangle. Devil Sword Dante and trickster often require being able to comfortably hit both at the same time.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The Dual Kalina Ann's fuckoff laser beam makes me happy, and the charge up time isn't even that long.... but man, is that recovery animation painful. It knocks down almost everything when it hits, but if you DON'T knock them down, they're gonna get a free hit on you.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Backhand posted:

The Dual Kalina Ann's fuckoff laser beam makes me happy, and the charge up time isn't even that long.... but man, is that recovery animation painful. It knocks down almost everything when it hits, but if you DON'T knock them down, they're gonna get a free hit on you.

If you're already s rank the hyperlaser will carry you into SSS before you start to degrade rank. Never not abuse SSSS

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pomp posted:

If you're already s rank the hyperlaser will carry you into SSS before you start to degrade rank. Never not abuse SSSS

Wait so... can you go into Sin DT during the recovery of stuff?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait so... can you go into Sin DT during the recovery of stuff?

Yeah it's busted lol

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I just don't use the stupid gun with Nero

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I just don't use the stupid gun with Nero

fully upgraded gun does a surprisingly fair amount of damage compared to Dante's pistols, which are more or less to keep up momentum in the air or keep combos alive with twosome time. I've unintentionally ended 1 or 2 boss battles with Nero's fully charged pistol shots which is neat. I liked that his bigass gun has some kick in this.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Level 3 charge shot with Nero does frankly absurd amounts of damage, and the multi hit properties of color up are great for staggering enemies and keeping them occupied while you set up other stuff. You are a dang fool if you aren't charging Nero's gun all the time.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
You guys last night I kicked the crap out of a bunch of demons, then ran up a flight of stairs, grabbed one of them and pulled it up after me, twirled my gun and gave him a sick burn, then fired my rocket arm and rode it like a surfboard through an obstacle course while occasionally spin-kicking flying demons in the face along the way.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
CAPCOM WHERE THE HELL IS THE DLC I NEED IT

DOOM ETERNAL GONNA BEAT YOU IN GOTY UNLESS YOU KEEP THAT MOMENTUM

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I feel like an idiot. I just now figured out you can change Dante's theme to Devil Trigger.

One, two, three

Bang Bang

Pull my Devil Trigger

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Man, Dante hurts my soul with his "I really AM old..." death line now, as I have officially decided I have gotten too old and slow for this series. Trying to go through Son of Sparda and I'm just dying, dying, dying. Malphas's spaz out charge attack, cerberus never really seeming to have any vulnerability windows, Urizen's summoned sword spam preventing me from setting up anything longer than a slash or two... just nonstop death. And seriously, gently caress furies. Those little bastards aren't even that hard, but they are seriously not fun to fight.

Gotta admit I really wish the Revive mechanic could be turned off; it's even worse considering how the game hands out gold orbs like candy. If you have to use a revive, then so far as I am concerned, you didn't actually win. I know you can just not use them, but it feels like salt in the wound having the prompt pop up at all.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Backhand posted:

Man, Dante hurts my soul with his "I really AM old..." death line now, as I have officially decided I have gotten too old and slow for this series. Trying to go through Son of Sparda and I'm just dying, dying, dying. Malphas's spaz out charge attack, cerberus never really seeming to have any vulnerability windows, Urizen's summoned sword spam preventing me from setting up anything longer than a slash or two... just nonstop death. And seriously, gently caress furies. Those little bastards aren't even that hard, but they are seriously not fun to fight.

Gotta admit I really wish the Revive mechanic could be turned off; it's even worse considering how the game hands out gold orbs like candy. If you have to use a revive, then so far as I am concerned, you didn't actually win. I know you can just not use them, but it feels like salt in the wound having the prompt pop up at all.

Enemy step and constantly staying in the air is the only way I can deal with big bosses. If you time it right you can never stop jumping off Urizen, combine it with Royal Guards for the attacks you can't evade by jumping and boom, you're styiln.
And for Furies - equip King Cerberus, wait for them to fade, wait one second, do the lockon+forward+attack move (Revolver). Congrats, you just parried Fury and can now proceed to blast him with shotgun buck. As for Nero, you can charge up the "hold attack" move and use the same timing, but as an added bonus you can Buster them. Or you can try to time a Shuffle, this is the same effect you just need to be fast on stick flicking other that holding attack.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Dante Fury easy mode: Cerberus's ice age. Lock on, back forward slash.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just got this on PC. I have a 980 gfx card and a fairly old 4770k cpu that still does quite well.

So: playing this on a ps4 controller. What are the preferred mappings, and what are the graphics settings to turn down for massive speed improvements? I turned off vsync and noticed screen tearing every once in a while. Or should I just turn vsync on? My graphics settings are set to high mostly, by default.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
So I finally manned up and decided to go into the Bloody Palace last night. I was thinking I'd be pretty screwed given how much trouble the story mode gave me, but somehow or another BP turned out to be exactly the training I needed to sharpen my skills a bit. I ripped through loving everything as Nero getting SSS-ranks all over the place until level 70 and the triple Furies; that drat near killed me but I somehow made it through with a sliver of health. I beat the everloving gently caress out of Malphas, which was satisfying as all hell considering I had to retry her mission multiple times before I could beat it without dying (seriously, gently caress her enrage mode.) As it was, the combo I pulled off twice was practically enough to kill her by itself: Rawhide to trip her, Showdown while she was on the ground (and spamming summoned swords and punches while it charged), transitioning straight into a Devil Buster through the instant Showdown ended, then charging up an Overture remote bomb during the throw animation and slamming her with it the instant I got control back. I felt like the biggest badass.

I finally went down on Floor 84, which was frustrating, and even moreso since it wasn't a particularly special floor. I think I'm just not sufficiently used to enemy attack patterns on Dante Must Die yet; they actually do get a handful of new moves, it seems.

Pretty drat fun run, though, and the nonstop combat (yet fairly easy combat in the beginning) really gave me a chance to sharpen my skills. I'm not sure why it never occurred to me how amazing a defensive move Shuffle is, before; it's not just a huge dodge, it's a huge dodge PLUS a huge parry window. Angelo-type enemies become absolutely trivial once you start abusing Shuffle to counter their massively telegraphed attacks. You don't even need good timing.

It's also funny how my taste in Devil Breakers has changed; I used to love Punch Line and Tomboy since they are VERY simple to use. I hadn't really figured out how to incorporate the new mechanic into my traditional Nero play yet, so most of my strategy with Breakers was "flail angrily," which those two accommodate pretty well. Now, I lean heavily on Rawhide for the AOE (terrific for hopping into a pack of Empusas and racking up the style points), the enormous parry window, and the improved pulls. I really should practice some more with Ragtime, though; I'm still kind of afraid of that one and don't know how to use it effectively.

So yeah. While it is frustrating as gently caress to lose so much progress dying so late in BP, I nonetheless had a ton of fun and am thirsty for more tonight.

EDIT: Also, finally figured out that Hardline is Nero's way of dealing with Hell Commanders. Teleport away from this, you little bastards.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 24, 2019

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So I'm not super good at games. I'm ok! I finished the bayonettas and revengeance. I'm playing this on human and maybe I made a mistake? It seems super easy so far. I just got to the bit where you start playing as V. Can you change difficulty on the fly or is it a restart? Does it get a lot harder soon?

I also heard (here) that this is the best game in the genre. When does it 'get good'? The cutscenes aren't as dumb and fun as bayonetta and the gameplay (so far!) doesn't seem as good. Why is this game so much better?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you’re just getting to V that means that you probably don’t have hardly any moves unlocked for anybody and it’s really the complexity of each characters move list that provides the depth. Try reserving your opinion for it until you beaten it on human the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

redreader posted:

So I'm not super good at games. I'm ok! I finished the bayonettas and revengeance. I'm playing this on human and maybe I made a mistake? It seems super easy so far. I just got to the bit where you start playing as V. Can you change difficulty on the fly or is it a restart? Does it get a lot harder soon?

I also heard (here) that this is the best game in the genre. When does it 'get good'? The cutscenes aren't as dumb and fun as bayonetta and the gameplay (so far!) doesn't seem as good. Why is this game so much better?

My 4 year old can play the game on Human with auto assist on.