Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If you take away the fact that this is Clickhole this headline is otherwise 100% believable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Current Mood: Horny 😈

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

*life on earth gradually dies from co2 poisoning*

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i. m. o.

the people at that one dumb bar watching in confused silence as daenerys burns down kings landing

is more satisfying than every red wedding reaction compilation from season 3

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

PupsOfWar posted:

i. m. o.

the people at that one dumb bar watching in confused silence as daenerys burns down kings landing

is more satisfying than every red wedding reaction compilation from season 3

:yeah:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ok dokey, girlfriend and I finally finished all 8 seasons. I'd been thoroughly spoiled up to the end so I knew what was happening, but good to finally see it. Overall, I have very few complaints about where the story ended. Sucks for Jon Snow but eh, whaddayagonnado. My biggest beef with the show was that seasons 7 and 8 should not have been cut down to fewer episodes. It feels like there was a lot of missing scenes between things happening and as a result, things just happen. There's also markedly less dialogue in seasons 7 and 8, and lots of spectacle. The spectacle is awesome, and the fact that episodes like The Battle of Winterfell and such are happening on television and not in a movie theater is astounding.

There were some complaints/questions about things I've read online, and maybe because I binged all 8 seasons it seems like the show went out of it's way to answer these questions:

1. Why/how so many Dothraki in King's Landing after they all died in Winterfell? Well, they didn't all die. Quite a few of them came running back, with their horses. So while it seemed like her Dothraki replenished themselves, I'll chalk it up to cinematic license.
2. Jaime doing a 360 wrt his character development. This bugged me a lot before actually seeing it. I think he was always going to be a tragic character and that he really tries to do the right thing while fighting for/against his love for Cersei.
3. How did Rhaegal get shot down so easily while Drogon dodged dozens of bolts? Well, Rhaegal had holes punched all through his wings, and they displayed effectively enough that he was not nearly as fast or graceful in the sky at that point as a pissed off Dany riding Drogon.
4. Why banish Jon if the Unsullied are just gonna gently caress off and leave anyway? The Starks (Bran and Sansa) agreed to what they agreed to in order to not start conflict as well as save Jon's life. Why not just let him out of his Night's Watch vows when they left? Because they are both Starks and both rulers, and they need to be seen as keeping to their word.

Anywho, I think it was overall a great show, even after the drop in quality starting in season 5/6. I was sad as soon as it was all over and almost want to start the whole thing again.

One thing did bother me: Not being able to see the expressions on his sister's faces when Jon tells them who he really is. Also, not seeing how the Stark girls betrayed/setup Littlefinger. Even just a clip of Sansa talking with Bran and he's like "he's playing you against your sister, and started the war with this knife." They all of a sudden have all that information and Arya is clearly in on it, but we never see how.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t think giving them more episodes would have fixed them fundamentally not understanding how Grrm’s writing deliberately subverts expectations. They went with what everyone thought should have happened and I believe Grrm would have done some out of left field poo poo just to gently caress with the fans. We’ll never know though since he’s never gonna finish them.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t think giving them more episodes would have fixed them fundamentally not understanding how Grrm’s writing deliberately subverts expectations. They went with what everyone thought should have happened and I believe Grrm would have done some out of left field poo poo just to gently caress with the fans. We’ll never know though since he’s never gonna finish them.

You don't think Bran being king came out of left field? I felt like they threw darts at a board to come up with that.

Also, most of the complaints I've seen/agree with are that the show became less character driven, the characters became boring and badly written, and characters no longer developed into things they just magically teleported to whatever state they needed to be in to get the finale done.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
chaosapiant: do you mean it sucks for Jon Targ that he doesn't get to sit on the molten pool of iron? how do you figure? he's not dead, he gets to live with his remaining homies close to his family, his gf/aunt was a psycho anyway

Overall, I think the show ending was great and it still managed to piss off a lot of people. The book ending will work the same way of course but in that it will never come. I think there's a joke about climate change or the heat death of the universe in this somewhere

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I wonder if Jon is supposed to continue to age and die normally or if hes just going to be this soulless zombie thing until he gets killed

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Skratchez posted:

chaosapiant: do you mean it sucks for Jon Targ that he doesn't get to sit on the molten pool of iron? how do you figure? he's not dead, he gets to live with his remaining homies close to his family, his gf/aunt was a psycho anyway

Overall, I think the show ending was great and it still managed to piss off a lot of people. The book ending will work the same way of course but in that it will never come. I think there's a joke about climate change or the heat death of the universe in this somewhere

Not so much that he can't be King, just the whole order of events where he kills his love dies in his arms again, and him going back to the black felt like he was starting over with nothing after everything he'd accomplished. That said, there is no better place for him than the north, so overall it works thematically, I think.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

You don't think Bran being king came out of left field? I felt like they threw darts at a board to come up with that.

Yea I suppose they kinda came up with something out of pure luck. Gurm tends subvert more violently and emotionally. Bran being king had the emotion of a wet fart tied to it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Bran being King makes sense to me in the way that, if not him, then who?

Edit: Gendry could've worked I suppose.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It works on some level but it wasn’t really earned in any way since he was supposed to be beyond mortals and he basically didn’t do anything of note even though he was foreshadowed to be a character with huge plot significance.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

It works on some level but it wasn’t really earned in any way since he was supposed to be beyond mortals and he basically didn’t do anything of note even though he was foreshadowed to be a character with huge plot significance.

I mean in a sense our expectations were very subverted right. 75% or so of what heppens in the series really doesn't matter. At all.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I feel like Bran was way more important to the plot before the Night King was shanked. After that, he's just kind of a literal know-it-all who knows tons of things that most people don't care about.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure in the books he’s gonna be way more important but they didn’t care enough to flesh it out more so we end up with him mentioning a couple plot points and that’s it cause they wanted to focus on Jon.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I’m sure in the books he’s gonna be way more important but they didn’t care enough to flesh it out more so we end up with him mentioning a couple plot points and that’s it cause they wanted to focus on Jon.

I don't think Sanderson really knows how to properly write a character like that, so he'll probably mostly stay off-screen.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Every time he popped back up in the show I was like "oh gently caress, I forgot he exists!", and I didn't feel that way in the books. I was very on-board with his book storyline and liked where it was going.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

I wonder if Jon is supposed to continue to age and die normally or if hes just going to be this soulless zombie thing until he gets killed

i figure this could come up w/ book jon, since Beric and Coldhands, while rezzed in different ways, are both clearly hosed up

w/ show jon though, idk if there's ever any implication he is something other than just a regular human, good as new

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

PupsOfWar posted:

i figure this could come up w/ book jon, since Beric and Coldhands, while rezzed in different ways, are both clearly hosed up

w/ show jon though, idk if there's ever any implication he is something other than just a regular human, good as new

I kinda wish the show kept up the super weird poo poo in the books, like Coldhands instead of "Just Cold Benjen" and Lady Stoneheart. I'm curious if the show has actually proved beyond doubt that Coldhands is actually Benjen and not just some weird deus ex machina.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Bran being King makes sense to me in the way that, if not him, then who?

Edit: Gendry could've worked I suppose.

It's less "who among the slim pickings of survivors would make the best king" and more "howtf after a decade of war would someone like Bran unite the kingdom". Particularly because he explicitly didn't unite the kingdom, and what should have been his only guaranteed ally seceded. And at least two houses who were historically keen on independence just inexplicably gave up when they could have just reached out and grabbed it.

It's like the characters were aware that they only had a few minutes left in the series so just stopped caring cause they also wanted to wrap it up and get the hell out of there.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Guy A. Person posted:

It's less "who among the slim pickings of survivors would make the best king" and more "howtf after a decade of war would someone like Bran unite the kingdom". Particularly because he explicitly didn't unite the kingdom, and what should have been his only guaranteed ally seceded. And at least two houses who were historically keen on independence just inexplicably gave up when they could have just reached out and grabbed it.

It's like the characters were aware that they only had a few minutes left in the series so just stopped caring cause they also wanted to wrap it up and get the hell out of there.

This is true, but we're still in a situation where there really is no good answer for a King, and they need a King. Or Queen. So Bran makes sense in that he's the least worst option, and they had no other options really. Aside from Jon Snow. I actually expected Jon Snow to rule with Samwise TarGee as his hand.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

This is true, but we're still in a situation where there really is no good answer for a King, and they need a King. Or Queen. So Bran makes sense in that he's the least worst option, and they had no other options really. Aside from Jon Snow. I actually expected Jon Snow to rule with Samwise TarGee as his hand.

It seems like Jon, returned from the dead, freed us from the insane dragon queen, actual heir to the throne, Snow would be the logical choice. But Bran has a better story, in that nobody has ever heard of him or will believe that he can do anything he says he can do or would care.

Oh right and he's crippled, because that always plays well with everyone.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, I agree with you about Jon. He makes too much sense as King to not pick him and the only reason not to is to subvert expectation without actually needing to justify it. I also wish they didn't call him Bran the Broken. Why not "Bran the Raven" or "Bran Three-Eyes"? Bran the Broken is not a name that will inspire fear or respect from potential foreign invaders. Or local ones.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I kinda wish the show kept up the super weird poo poo in the books, like Coldhands instead of "Just Cold Benjen" and Lady Stoneheart. I'm curious if the show has actually proved beyond doubt that Coldhands is actually Benjen and not just some weird deus ex machina.

gurm has in the past said coldhands definitely ain't benjen, although he could change it I suppose

imho it is probably a figure of some significance, or at least someone recognizable, since you want it to freak out Bran and the best way to do that is to have it be someone who should be dead

maybe a dead Stark king or some vanished hero from ages past

more boring options: one of Bloodraven's personal guards, the Raven's Teeth, or maybe a former Lord Commander

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, I agree with you about Jon. He makes too much sense as King to not pick him and the only reason not to is to subvert expectation without actually needing to justify it. I also wish they didn't call him Bran the Broken. Why not "Bran the Raven" or "Bran Three-Eyes"? Bran the Broken is not a name that will inspire fear or respect from potential foreign invaders. Or local ones.

im 95% sure benioff and weiss coined "bran the broken" because they dimly recalled there was a guy named Bran the Breaker somewhere in the lore and thought it'd be cute

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 17, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Yeah but again this is meta-logic of "they need a king, and it's the last episode". Realistically most of these houses would just claim independence or put forth their own claim and you'd either have a return to fractured kingdoms or you'd have a continuation of the bloody civil war. Unless the idea here is that all these houses each just wanted one specific person on the iron throne and now that those specific people are dead they're cool with whoever else.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah but again this is meta-logic of "they need a king, and it's the last episode". Realistically most of these houses would just claim independence or put forth their own claim and you'd either have a return to fractured kingdoms or you'd have a continuation of the bloody civil war.

ive always figured abolishing the 7 kingdoms as a unified entity will* be the endgame of the books

Drogon melting down the iron throne is a longstanding fan theory and one of the few things in the last season i definitely think they could have gotten from gurm's bulletpoints

although presumably in the books this will not be Drogon consciously melting it down due to his keen knowledge of semiotics

*normal caveats, gurm dead etc.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
There are clearly 7 kingdoms remaining after the north leaves, if they stayed that'd be 8 and that's pretty awkward.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

So y'all think the mercenary company left in charge of meereen has figured out how profitable slavery is yet?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

So y'all think the mercenary company left in charge of meereen has figured out how profitable slavery is yet?

I am definitely curious how a Daario led Mereen is handling things.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Yea I suppose they kinda came up with something out of pure luck. Gurm tends subvert more violently and emotionally. Bran being king had the emotion of a wet fart tied to it.

The real difference is that GRRM does actual legwork to set up for his subversive poo poo and has characters make choices that put them in positions from which they can no longer escape and then doesn't intervene to save them. The showrunners' understanding of dramatic setup is just having characters say lines and then pointing back to them when they do something stupid and being like "ahh remember this!!! we got you good, we knew where we were going all along" and it's like who cares dude

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The real difference is that GRRM does actual legwork to set up for his subversive poo poo and has characters make choices that put them in positions from which they can no longer escape and then doesn't intervene to save them. The showrunners' understanding of dramatic setup is just having characters say lines and then pointing back to them when they do something stupid and being like "ahh remember this!!! we got you good, we knew where we were going all along" and it's like who cares dude

This is very true, and I feel like fans of the show who haven't read the books are at an advantage because they likely can't see the difference here too much. But GRRM takes great pains to describe tons of useless poo poo only for it to matter later. He's all about setup and payoff which is why the books (even 4 and 5) are so good to me. The show runners seem to understand the result without understanding the how. After season 5 they're kinda just moving the characters around like on a chess board and giving vague reasons as to why they are there when they need to be.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

There are clearly 7 kingdoms remaining after the north leaves, if they stayed that'd be 8 and that's pretty awkward.

ive always figured the tullys would be real buttmad about the riverlands not being counted for some reason

probably spent 300 years formally petitioning the targs to rename the realm The 8 Kingdoms

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 17, 2019

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

pseudanonymous posted:

It seems like Jon, returned from the dead, freed us from the insane dragon queen, actual heir to the throne, Snow would be the logical choice. But Bran has a better story, in that nobody has ever heard of him or will believe that he can do anything he says he can do or would care.

Oh right and he's crippled, because that always plays well with everyone.

Well they think he's not capable of fathering children but what's that gleam in the corner of his eyes? Eh? Does he know something tricksy about the milk of the cojones?

The point was to break the wheel and ending dynastic rule would do that though.

e: and you'd think he'd know not to appoint like, one of Sansa's kids or something because he could see how bloody terrible it would end up

e2: he'd set up a whole state surveillance system of replanting heart trees everywhere and it'd be like cold war era paranoia

:wink:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I am curious about why Bran can't father children. My father was a quadriplegic due to a spinal injury and he had no issues popping a stiffy and hosing his CNAs down with semen. Why couldn't Bran do the same?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

PupsOfWar posted:

ive always figured the tullys would be real buttmad about the riverlands not being counted for some reason

probably spent 300 years formally petitioning the targs to rename the realm The 8 Kingdoms
I think the riverlands do count, and it's the iron islands that don't. Previously the iron islands controlled the riverlands so they were sort of grandfathered in, but riverrun is the real seat of a kingdom, seastone chair or not. Maybe I'm wrong though, I dunno if textually they ever confirm any of the "7 kingdoms".

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I am curious about why Bran can't father children. My father was a quadriplegic due to a spinal injury and he had no issues popping a stiffy and hosing his CNAs down with semen. Why couldn't Bran do the same?

well the effects of a spinal injury vary a lot according to which bits of the spinal cord were damaged

i think we have to just take Bran's word for it (he didn't gainsay sansa when she brought it up) and assume he damaged whichever part governs boners

like presumably he just went "whoah drat, cant get it up anymore, guess I'd better tell sansa, the de-facto head of my house who would need to know this for purposes of arranging marriages and soforth."

that's also doing sansa a solid, in that she would know there won't be any future bran-derived children to threaten her own childrens' claim on Winterfell

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nah it's pretty messed up to tell the world about your brother's broken dick. He's like, an international man of mystery and she spoiled the twist ending for whatever lucky lady ends up in his still-functioning arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Skratchez posted:

Well they think he's not capable of fathering children but what's that gleam in the corner of his eyes? Eh? Does he know something tricksy about the milk of the cojones?

The point was to break the wheel and ending dynastic rule would do that though.

e: and you'd think he'd know not to appoint like, one of Sansa's kids or something because he could see how bloody terrible it would end up

e2: he'd set up a whole state surveillance system of replanting heart trees everywhere and it'd be like cold war era paranoia

:wink:

I'm still not sure how ending dynastic rule actually makes things better since now all the other houses have a chance at the throne when he's dead.