Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

And a second berserker for me. The person right next to me on the player's list only has one berserker and they risked too...so does that mean everybody got one this year and some of us got two? Did we ever find out the amount of money that would equal one berserker versus the number that risked?

Oh, and I did random. So conceivably maybe the ratio was under one and I just got a natural one too. And I could get another for that matter...does Gilgabot always say hahaha when you get a berserker or is that only for risk berserkers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Some Guy TT posted:

And a second berserker for me. The person right next to me on the player's list only has one berserker and they risked too...so does that mean everybody got one this year and some of us got two? Did we ever find out the amount of money that would equal one berserker versus the number that risked?

I've always been under the impression that Berserker-risk only applies to Crystals which have a chance of naturally giving you a Berserker according to the type of run you've chosen. So Normal runs will only give a Berserker at the Water Crystal, but Random runs can get one on any post-Water one, and Chaos/Pure Chaos even on the Wind Crystal.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Got a thief start and haven't played this game in 15 years, this is gonna be interesting.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Does anyone have the damage calculation for Open Fire? Is it affected by weapon power or strength/agility at all?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bregor posted:

Does anyone have the damage calculation for Open Fire? Is it affected by weapon power or strength/agility at all?

code:
  [Open Fire]
  Doesn't break Confuse.
  104/256  Black shot   Darkness  115 ATK
  62 /256  Purple shot  Poison    115 ATK
  60 /256  Red shot     Confuse   175 ATK
  30 /256  X shot       Death     215 ATK (can kill undead)
M = [(Level * Level) / 128] + 2

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Thanks!

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Went with Bad Party of Monk, Red Mage, Geomancer, and Dancer. (Bought in Job Fair FYI those doing Fiesta for the first time)

Barehanded Geomancer is pretty badass. Galuf's a palette swapped Santa Claus who can just punch the poo poo out of people, which is pretty cool.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

blinking beacon nose posted:

Went with Bad Party of Monk, Red Mage, Geomancer, and Dancer. (Bought in Job Fair FYI those doing Fiesta for the first time)

Barehanded Geomancer is pretty badass. Galuf's a palette swapped Santa Claus who can just punch the poo poo out of people, which is pretty cool.

You'll be fine all through world 1 and "okay" for the first half of World 2.

Have fun with everything from Moore forward. :gibs:

A few tips: Barehanded on anyone you want to be doing melee attacking will pass on Monk Strength even if they have weapons on, which can be a godsend for Dancer. Alternately, HP +30% will let you survive Almagest a LOT earlier. Protect will save your life. Love it, cherish it. Red Mage can use staves so you might want to farm up a few Staves of Light from Metamorphs in Ghido's Cave to snap over W2 Exdeath's head. Don't be afraid to take on Fork Tower - while you might have survivability problems with Minotaur, it's worth it for access to the Wonder Wand, which will help you a bit in the endgame if you take the time to prep it.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 17, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Well, I’m going to get ranger, and my jobs are mediocre, so I just realized that I have never slotted !aim and have no idea what it does.

Is it an accuracy buff, or an attack with 100% accuracy? If it’s an attack does it require bows? If it doesn’t require bows... does it avoid the flee effect of chicken knife? :getin:

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

DalaranJ posted:

Well, I’m going to get ranger, and my jobs are mediocre, so I just realized that I have never slotted !aim and have no idea what it does.

Is it an accuracy buff, or an attack with 100% accuracy? If it’s an attack does it require bows? If it doesn’t require bows... does it avoid the flee effect of chicken knife? :getin:

It's an attack with 100% accuracy.

edit: apparently totally wrong about the chicken knife, nothing to see here!

wodenspoon fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 17, 2019

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Aim doesn't avoid the run chance for the Chicken Knife, but Rapid Fire does!

Aim itself is a 100% accurate attack which can trigger any of the usual procs (Death on the Assassin Dagger, etc)

Edit: It doesn't need Bows - it even works with low-accuracy stuff like Axes (assuming you have proficiency), which is an okay-ish option? Also makes the Blood Sword viable if that's something you'd want.

Complete_Cynic fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 17, 2019

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Complete_Cynic posted:

Edit: It doesn't need Bows - it even works with low-accuracy stuff like Axes (assuming you have proficiency), which is an okay-ish option? Also makes the Blood Sword viable if that's something you'd want.

Also important to note that bows themselves have fairly shaky accuracy as well, so until you unlock rapid fire, you should pretty much always be slam picking !aim over !fight on your ranger unless you like missing a bunch.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
People who talk about how Chocobo, Sylph, and Remora are useless have obviously never tried to get Shiva with 4 Summoners (and no Fire Rods) before.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Man, the Winner Risk party (Blue-Berserker-Summoner-White) is so good. It's better than the regular Winner party. That's an ideal backup group for a Berserker.

Gonna grab the Brave Blade despite my previous post because I have never tried to see if the Goblin Punch formula is the same in the Matrix versions. I'm sure the formula is the same, just meaning if it calculates the BB at full power no matter what.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I am a little confused on the Chaos run. I ended up with Ninja to start off. Made my way to the Water crystal, where Gilgabot gave me Thief. Can I now make everyone a Thief and then mix it up once I have Ninja available? Probably should have just done a regular run, as that's fairly straight forward.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Ragequit posted:

I am a little confused on the Chaos run. I ended up with Ninja to start off. Made my way to the Water crystal, where Gilgabot gave me Thief. Can I now make everyone a Thief and then mix it up once I have Ninja available? Probably should have just done a regular run, as that's fairly straight forward.

It's totally up to you. Sometimes I feel like honoring the concept and I'll leave someone as a Freelancer if I'm supposed to have a class I don't have access to, but just do what makes it the most fun for you.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

OzFactor posted:

It's totally up to you. Sometimes I feel like honoring the concept and I'll leave someone as a Freelancer if I'm supposed to have a class I don't have access to, but just do what makes it the most fun for you.

I did that until I had Thief available, so I suppose I am still honoring the spirit of the event. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't recommended to keep a Freelancer on deck to "fill" the Ninja role I don't have access to yet. Thanks for the confirmation.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
First job is Blue mage. Pretty happy as that’s a class I’ve never gotten for the Fiesta before. Time to get hit in the face with all the abilities/magic!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

OzFactor posted:

Gonna grab the Brave Blade despite my previous post because I have never tried to see if the Goblin Punch formula is the same in the Matrix versions. I'm sure the formula is the same, just meaning if it calculates the BB at full power no matter what.

Blue Mage won't be able to use it though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

OzFactor posted:

Man, the Winner Risk party (Blue-Berserker-Summoner-White) is so good. It's better than the regular Winner party. That's an ideal backup group for a Berserker.

The only problem is that it isn't an easy Triple Crown. Thunder Rod Ramuh is the best damage available and you're going to eat all the counters with a Berserker in there. I might Job Fair the White Mage into a Bard if I can't do it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Black mage is so overpowered I'm not feeling the double risk at all. Before topping off world one I just wanted to know- will the doom sickles auto revive the final boss's zombie form? Do I need a backup weapon?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

Blue Mage won't be able to use it though.

I knew I was forgetting something

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you mean Archeoaevis, that last form isn't actually undead, so axe away.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Sweet. Thanks.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Hey, the old google drive link to the goon FFV guide is dead. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MrmmtZPyCJnRL8ecIp5LOwhDnb_9FLeFQNjOzyVI-R8/edit doesn't work.

edit: Thanks!

MatchaZed fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 17, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

WilliamAnderson posted:

Hey, the old google drive link to the goon FFV guide is dead. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MrmmtZPyCJnRL8ecIp5LOwhDnb_9FLeFQNjOzyVI-R8/edit doesn't work.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I got a full part of Black Mage/Red Mage/Geomancer/Chemist. Pretty much the exact opposite of my normal play style in RPGs of picking mindless fighter types. Guess I have some studying to do to figure out how to use these classes.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Freelancer/Monk/Ninja/Chemist

Sweet. Time to get punch drunk.

Action George posted:

I got a full part of Black Mage/Red Mage/Geomancer/Chemist. Pretty much the exact opposite of my normal play style in RPGs of picking mindless fighter types. Guess I have some studying to do to figure out how to use these classes.

Rod breaking will carry you through the first half of the game, !Black the rest of the way, Chemist can take care of any weird speedbumps. !Gaia is a great MP-free secondary command for mages, and having level 3 white magic from !Red will keep you patched up as you navigate dungeons.

Sweet and powerful. Have fun!

Baku fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 17, 2019

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Action George posted:

- hit elemental weaknesses
- Succubus Kiss = !Mix Maiden's Kiss and Turtle Shell

That's, like, 95% of the game right there

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Bregor posted:

- hit elemental weaknesses
- Succubus Kiss = !Mix Maiden's Kiss and Turtle Shell

That's, like, 95% of the game right there

Bu.. b... but.. I have to hoard all of my resources in case I need to them later.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shoehead posted:

I literally just had that realisation. Should make the ship graveyard go quicker now that I have the rest of the morning free

Near the start of the ship graveyard explore around to find the flail (involves finding some secret rocks). Big QoL weapon for a white mage party.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 17, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This really sucked. I had to keep one person on frontline while everyone else spammed potions at the guy. Not only that but I had to change who said guy was depending on who had whatever weird vulnerable status effect was open on them.

It cost me an elixir but it's done. What a mess.

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

Azza Bamboo posted:

This really sucked. I had to keep one person on frontline while everyone else spammed potions at the guy. Not only that but I had to change who said guy was depending on who had whatever weird vulnerable status effect was open on them.

You're past the worst now! That fight is an awful slog with a Thief start. Good job suffering through!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Alternately, if you're playing on GBA, you can either get the patch that unlocks all jobs from the start, or use a code to unlock all jobs.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Azza Bamboo posted:

What's your water job?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Azza Bamboo posted:

I hope for your sake that you stole some Mythril Knives from the Wyverns in the Tower. It's not too bad with one of them. But yeah, most classes should be just having one dude hit Garula and the rest hang out in the back and heal with potions.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Is #advance like chaos? I just got this on Android so I can play on the go and was gonna do pure chaos, but was kind of curious about those new classes

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

zenguitarman posted:

Is #advance like chaos? I just got this on Android so I can play on the go and was gonna do pure chaos, but was kind of curious about those new classes

advanced is a little different. All the non GBA jobs are mashed into the first three crystals. The GBA jobs (gladiator, cannoneer, and oracle) are in the last crystal but don't unlock until you do all 4 tablet dungeons.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Ehh I might keep it simple this year, I was on the fence about registering anyway but figured I'd go leisurely. Unless the new jobs are super fun or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

zenguitarman posted:

Also those jobs are mostly weird and bad except for Gladiator