Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
How on earth does the booty bass game work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

DO NOT drink the piss.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Combat and UI issues that others have touched on aside, I'm loving this demo. The quests and writing are hilarious, the art style is great and all the characters are so expressive and have such fun animation. It sucks that so much combat-related stuff dragged this down because it's really just a vehicle for everything else as far as I'm concerned.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Anonymous Robot posted:

SAME

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
this is just loving amazing, oh what could have been

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

in character creator dont spend money on gumballs it soft-locks the game to that screen.Otherwise the game has been fun. also that itch link works for non backers as well, but i guess thats fine if the intention is to release it to general public.
Character creator is fantastic, i enjoy all the npc's in the city. Gun breeding system is so complex that i dont get it yet, but experimenting with it is fun.

art style is fantastic im loving it, same with music. And i do feel like lot of effort has gone into making all of this.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like it all except the combat, sadly. I don't feel like having the real-time gun'sbrasting is more interesting than the combat of the original...especially now that Nuclear Throne and Gungeon have already set certain expectations about gun'sfeel

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Dwarfnet is so good, did Truck Pump get removed or does he show up later in the forums?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Deleting a save doesn't seem to actually stick unless you start a new game in that slot so that the old one gets saved over.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Dark Off posted:

in character creator dont spend money on gumballs it soft-locks the game to that screen.

Buying a gumball worked fine for me. :shrug:
It was blueberry.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I died in the character creator lol.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you are on a keyboard, you just push basically any button on it for a different sound. Sounds give you points but if you repeat a sound too much it begins to detract points from you.

If you are on a gamepad, it's all the buttons on the gamepad and then combinations of like UP + X or whatever.

You get points for number of different sounds you made, the total number of sounds you made, and the adoration of the crowd (which is just keeping the adoration meter up with "good sounds").

FunMerrania posted:

Dwarfnet is so good, did Truck Pump get removed or does he show up later in the forums?

I believe he only exists in that one mockup screenshot from 2012. Sorry. You'll just have to take Papa Pedro's feud with Dave Michaels, and Orc RP'ing instead.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dwarfnet expansion for hypnospace please

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Okay, do not, under any circumstances, get yourself killed in character creation. There must be a bad sound file or something but I almost went deaf from the loud static it brasts your ears with for some reason. It's the same sound that plays when you draw something in the crest section. Something has gone awry... I'm guessing if there is a missing sound in the game it instead uses the static sound.

EDIT:

Also in Likes and Favorites, in the Favorites segment it seems to crash the game if you review your choices, so don't do that.

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 17, 2019

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Im checking out some of the bugs people have found. I just figured out the problem with the gumball machine, apparently the grape-flavored gumball breaks the game.
some of the gumballs prompt Gortarius the wizard to ask you a question, and some dont. The code presumes that all gumballs past gumball ind. 5 have those questions, but the grape gumball is an exception. It locks up as it tried to find the question to ask and there isnt one.

Next ill check the Likes and Favorites thing, and also ill check Dwarfnets scrollbar being broken. I think mouse scrollwheel might be the only way to scroll down right now in dwarfnet.
I dont know what I can do about the super loud sounds. I dont remember, does reducing the volume of a sound file in GMS1 actually affect playback of it in-game or is it just for the preview?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Barkley 2: The grape gumball breaks the game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Would moving the tutorial barrels a few inches to the left fix that issue?

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
I might hard-code a fix that just puts an invisible wall over the barrels as long as you don't have a gun or something, I'll check that next.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Truecon420 posted:

Rolling around trying to figure out quest timing conflicts for the B2 wiki... I need more neuro-s to fix the mortgage and eviction during the same initial housing authority visit.

Progress Cornhole's quest to the point that the candy shop owner gives you the money, but do NOT give it to Cornhole, if you don't spend any money this'll get you to 201. You can make up the rest by selling the dwarfs to Slag. The timing's tight, but if you plan your route efficiently and don't waste time on other things, you can do both of those and still get into the housing office.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Art and music are great but I found a dearth of joke's as far as I played which wasn't that far past the tutorial.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
limited time quests suck a whole lot of rear end to be honest

I wouldn't mind seeing this game released as a walking simulator with implied combat. I just want to look at frankie's pretty pixels

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Art and music are great but I found a dearth of joke's as far as I played which wasn't that far past the tutorial.

on the other hand the depressing content is top notch

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Im checking out some of the bugs people have found. I just figured out the problem with the gumball machine, apparently the grape-flavored gumball breaks the game.
some of the gumballs prompt Gortarius the wizard to ask you a question, and some dont. The code presumes that all gumballs past gumball ind. 5 have those questions, but the grape gumball is an exception. It locks up as it tried to find the question to ask and there isnt one.

Next ill check the Likes and Favorites thing, and also ill check Dwarfnets scrollbar being broken. I think mouse scrollwheel might be the only way to scroll down right now in dwarfnet.
I dont know what I can do about the super loud sounds. I dont remember, does reducing the volume of a sound file in GMS1 actually affect playback of it in-game or is it just for the preview?

I don't think it's that the sound is loud, I think it's that the game can't find a sound it's referencing, like the spraypaint sound for example, and defaults to the loud as hell hand scanner static transition sound.

The sound is really loud though, and I think the slider in GMS1 is just for preview. But if you you use the debug tool ingame I think that can adjust the volume proper.

DwarfNET's slider does work but the hitbox is off by like 32 pixels to the left.

As for the barrel roll in the tutorial, my theory is that since spacebar is both rolling key and skip dialog key, you roll into the glass and it triggers an event, which allows it to go into a sped up deltatime mode for a few frames, which then makes you clip through the barrels.

EDIT:

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Check out Booty Bass (southwest of TNN), DwarfNET (utility station), Eric the pet guy (north, next to the smith) and uh... Kelpster? (Don't check out Kelpster)

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 17, 2019

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Could not reproduce the bug you mentioned with the Likes/Favorites panel. Do you remember what the error message said?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dark Off posted:

in character creator dont spend money on gumballs it soft-locks the game to that screen.Otherwise the game has been fun. also that itch link works for non backers as well, but i guess thats fine if the intention is to release it to general public.
Character creator is fantastic, i enjoy all the npc's in the city. Gun breeding system is so complex that i dont get it yet, but experimenting with it is fun.

art style is fantastic im loving it, same with music. And i do feel like lot of effort has gone into making all of this.

Only the grape gumball softlocks the game. It's known and they're workin on it.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Could not reproduce the bug you mentioned with the Likes/Favorites panel. Do you remember what the error message said?

Uh, no. But one of the vidcon choices in vidcon A, I think, was drawing the blue highlighter on an empty spot and didn't seem to work. Probably related. I'll try to replicate it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Too many writers. There's definitely joke's but they're few and far between compared to B1, in large part due to non-Chef and non-GZ writers filling out much of the dialogue and quests.

It makes the game feel meaner, too.

Like a lot of the humor is in the inherent weirdness of the worldbuilding, but that's more of a "oh that's clever" funny, not a guffaw-inducing one like the Diabeastie.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 17, 2019

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is there a way to actually use the lockpicks? There's plenty of locked doors around.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Yeah, I can't reproduce the Favorites bug. It was highlighting an empty spot below the actual choices in Vidcon A, and then clicking review after that crashed it. Must've been trying to draw a choice that can't be made, like exceeding an array or something. That's all the help I can give.

Dabir posted:

Is there a way to actually use the lockpicks? There's plenty of locked doors around.

Don't know if demo has any spots for it, but yes.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I wasted all my ammo trying to kill an invincible guy*, got killed, and ended up in the sewer with only the 2 starting gun's and no ammo. At least I became the Barron of Booty before getting trapped. :yosbutt:

* the one who tricks you into crushing dwarfs in the blue container. I fought him after and he didn't die when his health bar hit 0. I assume that's a bug

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Hungry Computer posted:

I wasted all my ammo trying to kill an invincible guy*, got killed, and ended up in the sewer with only the 2 starting gun's and no ammo. At least I became the Barron of Booty before getting trapped. :yosbutt:

* the one who tricks you into crushing dwarfs in the blue container. I fought him after and he didn't die when his health bar hit 0. I assume that's a bug

Might've had like 1 hitpoint left. The meter isn't too accurate, I think it's like 80% - 100%, 40% - 80% and below 40%, or something like that anyway. I forget how it goes.

On another note, should probably get a full magazine in all the gun's that are bred, instead of getting like 2 bullets.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You can kill rats with the combat roll, so technically you arent softlocked, but that does suck

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Which goons are still working on this game, and are there any goons that are coming back on board now that the demo is looking good?

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

I got a gumball. I like to live dangerously. :smug:

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
The demo is honestly loving good. I mean it shouldn't have taken (7+?) years to get here but I was cackling at the esoteric gun'sbreeding system and endless character creation gags signifying nothing. The NPCs still have that ToG charm. It's janky in various places, obviously -- my main feature request would be to drop guns from the quickmenu as an alternative to scrapping them -- but now I'm really glad a demo was pushed out instead of just a GameMaker file that I probably wouldn't have been able to make sense of anyway.

Even if this is the last thing I see from this -- and I'd love to see more, but also don't want anyone working for free for the rest of their lives for it -- all that work wasn't for nothing. Well done.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

at the current rate it will only take 42 years to complete

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Which goons are still working on this game, and are there any goons that are coming back on board now that the demo is looking good?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm glad some of the devs are back and doing stuff but I think we should probably start planning for an intervention in a couple of weeks, just in case.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Malcolm Excellent posted:

coach, put me in i got dis

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Virtual Captain posted:

coach, put me in i got dis

Tell me some of your ideas, Barkley 2 needs more ideas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
fixed the gumball thing, fixed the dwarfnet scrollbar, tweaked the scrolling in the secret creepypasta computers, now making the sound volume actually affect sound volume instead of being a completely unused value.

Wycoff is tweaking down some of the very obnoxious sounds right now.
The sounds to tweak I think:
-Tarot card magic shuffle sound
-Gun breeding result sound
- hand scanner noise
- die in character creation noise?

(any others?)

streaming some of that bug fixing now: https://www.twitch.tv/frankiepixelshow