Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Andgrew Bellingham-Lotto

I'm pretty certain I was able to vote for you in a state election recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Hi, I am Tom Cocaine, today we found yet another racist thing you should feel bad about :(

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I enjoyed those episodes.

You're supposed to bitch about neo-liberalism and how what they're discussing isn't "real" and is spoon fed to us by our corporate masters. What really should be happening is FAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTZZZZZZ~~~~~~~~~*

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Willfrey posted:

Hi, I am Tom Cocaine, today we found yet another racist thing you should feel bad about :(

<in-depth expose on the amount of Antisemitism (specifically imagery) in temples in South East Asia>

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Hi I'm Mikhail Pantseater and I'm going to talk about how all muslims are terrorists for 20 minutes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm Ardie Hemm-Zenwich and this is Market Trends
*upbeat Apple iMovie filler music*
Today we're on location, in Los Angeles, chasing down a disturbing reality.
The American dream, the great melting pot, finds its counter-point in enclaves of unassimilated residents. Here today, we explore the economic terror of... Chinatown.

*clip of expert*
Unheard of. Literally unique in American history, this idea that you could just establish into a place for your own ethnic or ideological comfort without adopting the practices and laws of the people there... the Pilgrims would be turning over in their graves if they had seen this.

*ignores scores of Dutch, German and other assorted European enclaves in the East and Midwest*

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol NPR has a wine club called “All Grapes Considered” now. Every time they say it on the radio I want to punch my steering wheel .

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Your NPR Name
1. Insert your first initial somewhere in your middle name
2. The name of the town your maternal ancestors lived in in the 1850s

optional
3. Hypen
4. Your high school girlfriend's dog's name

Jambes Flint-Doja

damm it works

Hyrax Attack! posted:

There was a Radiolab where a Jad went on a tour of Facebook and came back gushing about how wonderful their face recognition tech was, and Robert Krulwich called him out on it

jad seems like a complete loving idiot so this doesn't surprise me

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

veni veni veni posted:

Lol NPR has a wine club called “All Grapes Considered” now. Every time they say it on the radio I want to punch my steering wheel .

nina totenbag

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
The cool part of working at VPR is that when it's not the NPR's funding drive, it's ours.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

and now, here's a 20 minute interview with the nyc white dude who did a podcast where he reviewed the taco bell breakfast menu through a lens of cultural appropriation alongside prehistoric cave hand paintings

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Your NPR Name

optional
3. Hypen

I'm Ryjan Conway-Roland, and this is Radiolab.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*dials window of allowable discourse between politely calling trump a pussy rear end bitch for not bombing iran and "showing america's strength" and "not bumbling into a war"*

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm gonna unironically see if anyone in here knows what the gently caress I'm trying to find. There's a late night public radio music program where the schtick is they find weird records in second hand stores. They played some weird rear end Japanese bossa nova style music with the title vaguely like "shoryu no cattleya" and it was catchy as gently caress. I can't for the life of me find it again and prostrate myself before the Internet to be enlightened.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

hi. im robert krulwich and this is radiolab. if youre just tuning in after ive said that, you may mistake me for voice doppelganger richard d wolff. but you will be cruelly disappointed when instead of talking plainly about marxist economics, i instead pretend to be the host of a science journalism podcast yet consistently react dismissively to empirical findings reported by scientists and choose to reinterpret results in a counter-evidential way because i actually hate inquiry and yearn for science to just be a mystical abyss of ignorance to stare into

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

*dials window of allowable discourse between politely calling trump a pussy rear end bitch for not bombing iran and "showing america's strength" and "not bumbling into a war"*

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
welcome to planet money. we're here today to tell you that "cities are overrated" for "unskilled workers." what's an unskilled worker, you might ask? well, we're going to say that it's people without college degrees, but then we're going to turn around and basically say "skilled workers" is only comprised of people in finance, ~*tech*~, and advertising. what about people with college degrees who are still working low-skill jobs? gently caress you, that's what.

so, in conclusion, if you're not one of america's elite, stay out of the big cities, and go back home to your loving flyover country. what's that? who's going to do all the "unskilled" jobs in those big cities? gently caress if i know, the market will sort it out, right? this is planet money and we belong in a loving guillotine.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 21, 2019

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Raptor1033 posted:

I'm gonna unironically see if anyone in here knows what the gently caress I'm trying to find. There's a late night public radio music program where the schtick is they find weird records in second hand stores. They played some weird rear end Japanese bossa nova style music with the title vaguely like "shoryu no cattleya" and it was catchy as gently caress. I can't for the life of me find it again and prostrate myself before the Internet to be enlightened.

What city did you hear this in?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the only part of that post i made up is the part where they asked or addressed at all the question of "if big cities are a raw deal for unskilled workers and you're saying it's in their best interests to stay away, who's going to make your loving coffee and janitor your loving offices?", because of course they didn't, because in the liberal centrist consensus of NPR if you were worth anything you would have bootstraps'd yourself up out of those jobs anyway

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Raptor1033 posted:

Have to tried emailing the station that aired the program?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I gave up on NPR once I had to spend 2-3 hours in my car a day driving around the Bay Area (still have a super gross dead KQED vinyl on my rear window lol) and they were reporting on things I knew about in such shallow meaningless detail over and over again that it pissed me off. This was like 2014 and I was still a mostly politics-less “leftish” person without a clue.

Once I have up on NPR I started listening to backlogs of This American Life, sometimes it could be real good... and then Ira did an episode on his hosed up, tragic dog.

He spends an hour describing how they have this small dog that developed severe anger issues, wouldn’t recognize them in the middle of the night when they had to take it out to pee, and would attack them, so they always had to have a muzzle on it, and describe how you could see the fear in its eyes when it was in one of its rages, as if it had no control. Then also described how it developed severe allergies to meats that it ate regularly, so they had to keep sourcing different kinds of meat for it to eat.

Around this point I realized these are basically lizard people and I have nothing in common with them and now I can’t hear Ira’s voice without imagining them choosing to keep this suffering creature alive in their domicile, smiling like androids as they tell themselves they are good people while they order another $400 in exotic meats for their dog that’ll last them a week. I can’t remember the story clearly any more and I’m sure the dog has been freed from its mortal coil at this point.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Shamino posted:

What city did you hear this in?

It was most likely Minneapolis but was in the period where I was commuting to Omaha and back a lot. So could conceivably be some Podunk Iowa town station too

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Your NPR Name

optional
3. Hypen

Jayd Dundee-Princess

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Who What Now posted:

Jayd Dundee-Princess

Mandrew Writtenhaus-Bailey

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Your NPR Name

optional
3. Hypen

Hello. I am Alexandder Naparima-Lucky.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Raptor1033 posted:

It was most likely Minneapolis but was in the period where I was commuting to Omaha and back a lot. So could conceivably be some Podunk Iowa town station too

Ok I think I figured the program out at least. a sub show on afropop worldwide called "crate-diggers and remixers"

Edit: maybe not. I doubt my boss would approve of me using company time like this

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 21, 2019

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
gently caress YES I FOUND IT
Artist: Miharu Koshi
Album: Boy Soprano
Song: la nokto de la cattleya

https://youtu.be/qCyZO5iWsPs

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 21, 2019

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Oi, I dig this tune, good job!

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

a cyberpunk goose posted:

I gave up on NPR once I had to spend 2-3 hours in my car a day driving around the Bay Area (still have a super gross dead KQED vinyl on my rear window lol) and they were reporting on things I knew about in such shallow meaningless detail over and over again that it pissed me off. This was like 2014 and I was still a mostly politics-less “leftish” person without a clue.

Once I have up on NPR I started listening to backlogs of This American Life, sometimes it could be real good... and then Ira did an episode on his hosed up, tragic dog.

He spends an hour describing how they have this small dog that developed severe anger issues, wouldn’t recognize them in the middle of the night when they had to take it out to pee, and would attack them, so they always had to have a muzzle on it, and describe how you could see the fear in its eyes when it was in one of its rages, as if it had no control. Then also described how it developed severe allergies to meats that it ate regularly, so they had to keep sourcing different kinds of meat for it to eat.

Around this point I realized these are basically lizard people and I have nothing in common with them and now I can’t hear Ira’s voice without imagining them choosing to keep this suffering creature alive in their domicile, smiling like androids as they tell themselves they are good people while they order another $400 in exotic meats for their dog that’ll last them a week. I can’t remember the story clearly any more and I’m sure the dog has been freed from its mortal coil at this point.

Oh my god, I had forgotten this episode! I had the same reaction.

The rest of the staff speak as if they're afraid of this awful dog, and the more Ira talks the more it becomes clear that it's all because he enables this terrible behaviour. The staff tries to stage an intervention but Ira just blows it off

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Hello, I'm Logan Whiterson, and I can't point to Venezuela on a map. Today I'm talking to the winner of Venezuela's 2019 Presidential Elections, Juan Gwhy-DOUGH. Juan, how did you become so cool and perfect and attractive just like Obama?

Ether Drunk
Jan 31, 2007

Was listening to a story in npr just the other day about the opioid epidemic. The "close to home" subject of this story was a waspy twenty something whose downward spiral started with normal crazy weekends of cocaine and ecstasy which lead to a friend giving her a meth pipe one Monday morning for a pick me up before work. This led to a $200 a day addiction that was paid for from her job as a was horse trainer. I didn't listen long enough to see if they at some point actually mentioned opioids.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Horse washer? That’s not a specialized job. Just turn a firehose on the horse until it’s clean or not moving or whatever

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I'm Jeff Hanley, and this is Jazz After Hours.

Veth
May 13, 2002
Homeless Pariah
I haven't listened to NPR in a over a decade and all of this is immediately understood.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I don’t think anybody in my life has ever told me “actually, npr’s good” if they weren’t at that same moment speaking through the radio.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I stopped donating to NPR when our local NPR station wanted to use millions of dollars to buy another, slightly less local NPR station. They even ripped off the jazz programming of the target station in an attempt to steal their listeners. Just like in a lovely 80's movie the listeners of the other NPR station got together and raised enough money to buy it themselves, and our evil NPR station failed to take it over. I figured if they had millions of dollars to blow on stupid expansion schemes, instead of, y'know, reporting on important local issues, then they can go gently caress themselves forever

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

npr also buys up college/local radio stations and either homogenizes them or consolidates them

they try to pass this off as "supporting local radio"

my favorite station used to be a college station that played lots of your typical college music, but also a lot of international stuff, had shows come and go, and would alternate an hour of music with an hour of independent journalism/broadcasting debate panels/etc. the three local npr affiliates got the college admin to defund the station then bought it up, replaced the programming so it was the 4th station in the city playing all things considered/fresh air/marketplace, then shut it down like two years later

gently caress npr

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Your NPR Name

optional
3. Hypen

Scjott Sturgis-Remi

Jesus christ I'm insufferable

skooma512 posted:

Education desk, Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm

LMAO

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

*doesn't read a single goddamn word of this thread and clicks 'go to last page'*

I'm Marco Worm-Man

CaptBushido fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

lol