Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Sadly, I think it's time to 86 the cukes. Mold has overtaken it. All the flowers have withered. He's dead and just doesn't know it yet. Plus, he's taking up some primo real estate. I think what i'll do is get another one going from seed and try to direct his growth a little better. Plus, I got some plans for a morning glory on that corner.

What kind of exposure/hours of direct sun does your balcony have? Those cukes look a lot like mine did when I planted them in an area of my yard with partial shade. They need sun like a mofo. When I dedicated some space in my full sun bed to them, it was like growing a whole different plant. Mold doesn’t stand a chance if the leaves are in sun 6+ hours per day, even with the near 100% humidity we have all summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

kedo posted:

What kind of exposure/hours of direct sun does your balcony have? Those cukes look a lot like mine did when I planted them in an area of my yard with partial shade. They need sun like a mofo. When I dedicated some space in my full sun bed to them, it was like growing a whole different plant. Mold doesn’t stand a chance if the leaves are in sun 6+ hours per day, even with the near 100% humidity we have all summer.

they get tons of light, easily over 6 hours.

The leaves that died first are the ones on the inside that kinda dont get that much light. But the mold is spreading to the ones that get plenty.

Or maybe it's something worse I dunno.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm never not battling something lethal in my garden. Today I realized my special orchid from the state botanical garden came with scale.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
If I was smarter I would quarantine everything I buy until I find out what it has, I see you

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'll check after posting if I asked this before, but is there any secret tricks for a succulent / cactus plant that is growing enough vertically that it's getting top heavy and unstable? I don't feel like it's getting tall due to legginess - it's under a significant grow light -, just that it's ~6/7 inches tall and rather thin. Every time I water it the water compacts the soil a bit and makes the things fall over; I've taken to sticking things in the soil to brace them and keep them upright.

I've done a little bit of research myself (as much as I can, we're talking holding-my-nose-and-reading-reddit levels) and some posters just recommend chopping off the top half, putting it in the soil, and letting it grow its own roots - but since it's reddit, they could be idiots for all I know.

Sorry for largess and lack of a species name (I doubt I saved that, in hindsight)

(please excuse the nastiness of the table; we have really hard water here and any accidental dripping will inevitably cause that nasty-rear end looking stuff.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 16, 2019

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

I'll check after posting if I asked this before, but is there any secret tricks for a succulent / cactus plant that is growing enough vertically that it's getting top heavy and unstable? I don't feel like it's getting tall due to legginess - it's under a significant grow light -, just that it's ~6/7 inches tall and rather thin. Every time I water it the water compacts the soil a bit and makes the things fall over; I've taken to sticking things in the soil to brace them and keep them upright.

I've done a little bit of research myself (as much as I can, we're talking holding-my-nose-and-reading-reddit levels) and some posters just recommend chopping off the top half, putting it in the soil, and letting it grow its own roots - but since it's reddit, they could be idiots for all I know.

Sorry for largess and lack of a species name (I doubt I saved that, in hindsight)

(please excuse the nastiness of the table; we have really hard water here and any accidental dripping will inevitably cause that nasty-rear end looking stuff.

Unfortunately, that legginess is most definitely due to a lack of light. It's worth remembering with grow lights that it's not just the output of the grow lamp but also the distance away from the plants that matters.

The only real solution is to chop them off an inch or so from the soil, get them much closer to the lamp and then let the stumps start to pup. You should get much more healthy pups emerging.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can I get some input on my sick ivy plant? Google gives me a huge range of sunlight requirements and when to water. I can literally find a site telling me no direct sunlight and another telling me tons of it.

I got it a few months ago, it started browning a bit a month ago so I repotted it with a bigger pot and fresh soil. Still browning and thinning in random spots. I water it when the top inch or so of the soil dries like I do my Asterisk Ivy and Wandering Jew Ivy and those both grow like weeds.

E: so now that I look closely, and you can even see some in the picture, there’s some white fuzz growing at the base of the plant. I never kept it overwatered but it’s a relatively new plant and the employees where I got it from could have induced some kind of fungus or rot with overwatering?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 16, 2019

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm the biggest loving idiot in the world and just seeded my entire front yard with Bermuda grass on accident yesterday. It will eradicate the fescue and rye grass which I've spent months building up.

Is there any going back or am I hosed?

I just panic bought a Bermuda/Crab grass spray on Amazon and I'll hose everything down with it, is there anything else I can do but pray?

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 17, 2019

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

elgarbo posted:

Unfortunately, that legginess is most definitely due to a lack of light. It's worth remembering with grow lights that it's not just the output of the grow lamp but also the distance away from the plants that matters.

It's 120w and less than two feet from the tip of the plants. I'm not disputing what you're saying, I'm just incredibly frustrated because nothing seems to work for me on this front.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

It's 120w and less than two feet from the tip of the plants. I'm not disputing what you're saying, I'm just incredibly frustrated because nothing seems to work for me on this front.

I'm a long way from being an expert when it comes to artificial lighting, but I've got two 36W T5 fluorescent tubes six inches above my indoor pots of cacti seedlings, and that's designed to simulate a shaded environment.

I'm assuming that not quite twice the wattage at almost four times the distance, you'll have quite a bit less light hitting your plants - and with more mature specimens like that, you're going to want closer to full sun than the shade of my little guys.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm the biggest loving idiot in the world and just seeded my entire front yard with Bermuda grass on accident yesterday. It will eradicate the fescue and rye grass which I've spent months building up.

Is there any going back or am I hosed?

I just panic bought a Bermuda/Crab grass spray on Amazon and I'll hose everything down with it, is there anything else I can do but pray?

You want a pre emergent herbide: Prodiamine/Dithiopyr (brand names Dimension/Barricade I believe). They form a thin layer layer in the soil that preventd newly germinated seeds from establishing (causes their roots to die). This will keep any Bermuda from sprouting this season without harming your fescue.

Unfortunately, you will probably face and elevated risk of this EVERY spring/summer, so be wary of turning over soil and keep doing it (March and May probably).

If anything does it, this will.

The good news is that afaik its hard to overseed warm season grasses, because the seedlings need light to start. I know it's pretty much impossible to inseed something like Zoysia for example. Of course if anything can do it Bermuda probably can. Keep your fescue tall (like max mower height) to improve your odds, and mulch you clippings to try and suppress the seeds.

But yeah, you might be hosed. What zone do you live in? Nature might help you keep the Bermuda in check as well.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

elgarbo posted:

I'm a long way from being an expert when it comes to artificial lighting, but I've got two 36W T5 fluorescent tubes six inches above my indoor pots of cacti seedlings, and that's designed to simulate a shaded environment.

I'm assuming that not quite twice the wattage at almost four times the distance, you'll have quite a bit less light hitting your plants - and with more mature specimens like that, you're going to want closer to full sun than the shade of my little guys.

Intensity decreases with the square of distance, so the so the effective irradiance of 2x Power@4x distance is 12.5%.

Lighting is weird, and it's easy for us to forget how much our eyes (and brains) adapt to different light levels. You think a well lit office and a sunny day are about the same because they "look" the same brightness to you, but if you go from the first to the second it will be blindingly bright until your eyes adjust. Brains are loving liars.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Makes you really appreciate just how fricken bright the sun actually is.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Hubis posted:

You want a pre emergent herbide: Prodiamine/Dithiopyr (brand names Dimension/Barricade I believe). They form a thin layer layer in the soil that preventd newly germinated seeds from establishing (causes their roots to die). This will keep any Bermuda from sprouting this season without harming your fescue.

Unfortunately, you will probably face and elevated risk of this EVERY spring/summer, so be wary of turning over soil and keep doing it (March and May probably).

If anything does it, this will.

The good news is that afaik its hard to overseed warm season grasses, because the seedlings need light to start. I know it's pretty much impossible to inseed something like Zoysia for example. Of course if anything can do it Bermuda probably can. Keep your fescue tall (like max mower height) to improve your odds, and mulch you clippings to try and suppress the seeds.

But yeah, you might be hosed. What zone do you live in? Nature might help you keep the Bermuda in check as well.
Zone 8a in Texas :shepicide:

Half the yard is heavy shade so that should stop it pretty well. The other half already had some Bermuda in it so this is probably speeding up the inevitable. The worst part is I was trying to overseed a big bare spot where I tore out a stump so now there's a nice big spot of rich top soil there full of Bermuda seeds.

If you accidentally bought a bag of seed you don't want, take my advice and don't stick it on your shelves next to the seed you plan to use. Especially if the bags are similar.

E: looking at the Prodiamine/Dithiopyr labels on domyown says they're safe for use on Bermuda grass, but they'll still kill/stop the seeds, right? Its just saying the pre-emergent herbicide won't hurt existing grasses?

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 17, 2019

TorsvikVonClemson
Jun 17, 2019

Rolo posted:

Can I get some input on my sick ivy plant? Google gives me a huge range of sunlight requirements and when to water. I can literally find a site telling me no direct sunlight and another telling me tons of it.

I got it a few months ago, it started browning a bit a month ago so I repotted it with a bigger pot and fresh soil. Still browning and thinning in random spots. I water it when the top inch or so of the soil dries like I do my Asterisk Ivy and Wandering Jew Ivy and those both grow like weeds.

E: so now that I look closely, and you can even see some in the picture, there’s some white fuzz growing at the base of the plant. I never kept it overwatered but it’s a relatively new plant and the employees where I got it from could have induced some kind of fungus or rot with overwatering?

I have had a lot of problems with indoor ivy like that. They are prone to parasites and like a lot of water but if they cant drink it up fast enough they get rot.

By best luck has been with my philodendron. What I did was put it a more shallow pot from the one it was in before. It still will get a bit of mold if its overcast and it is easily overwatered in the winter but it helped tons. Dunno if anyone agrees with that assessment, I'm no plant doc.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

Zone 8a in Texas :shepicide:

RIP your Fescue

SpartanIvy posted:

Half the yard is heavy shade so that should stop it pretty well. The other half already had some Bermuda in it so this is probably speeding up the inevitable. The worst part is I was trying to overseed a big bare spot where I tore out a stump so now there's a nice big spot of rich top soil there full of Bermuda seeds.

If you accidentally bought a bag of seed you don't want, take my advice and don't stick it on your shelves next to the seed you plan to use. Especially if the bags are similar.

E: looking at the Prodiamine/Dithiopyr labels on domyown says they're safe for use on Bermuda grass, but they'll still kill/stop the seeds, right? Its just saying the pre-emergent herbicide won't hurt existing grasses?

Right, exactly.

Another (additional) option would be Tenacity as a post-emergent control, which Bermuda dislikes but Fescue doesn't mind. Studies have found Tenacity alone seems to stunt/annoy Bermuda, but if applied in combination with Triclopyr it has the possibility to suppress it completely (or at least enough for the Fescue to out-compete it).

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What are these things taking over my compost?

Northern Europe.

Katt fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 17, 2019

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Hubis posted:

RIP your Fescue

Right, exactly.

Another (additional) option would be Tenacity as a post-emergent control, which Bermuda dislikes but Fescue doesn't mind. Studies have found Tenacity alone seems to stunt/annoy Bermuda, but if applied in combination with Triclopyr it has the possibility to suppress it completely (or at least enough for the Fescue to out-compete it).

The fescue I have is in areas that get like 90% shade and so I'm hopeful that it will continue to thrive in the summer. When I moved in that area was literally just dirt. Not even weeds were growing.

I've ordered the generic barricade and once that arrives I'll throw a layer down, and hope for the best. I can spot treat the existing Bermuda with round up. My biggest problem now is how I'm going to get (good) grass to grow on my bare spot while suppressing the Bermuda.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Katt posted:

Northern Europe.

Potatoes?

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

When should my apple trees start getting buds for apples/flowers?

Backstory: I planted some apple trees from fastgrowingtrees.com last year. Due to my woefully insufficient skills with deer netting, deer kept getting to them. This year I have rearranged the netting and they are growing like crazy, and so far no deer problems. Just not sure if I should be seeing any buds yet or not.

This is in North/Central NJ if it makes a difference.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

The fescue I have is in areas that get like 90% shade and so I'm hopeful that it will continue to thrive in the summer. When I moved in that area was literally just dirt. Not even weeds were growing.

I've ordered the generic barricade and once that arrives I'll throw a layer down, and hope for the best. I can spot treat the existing Bermuda with round up. My biggest problem now is how I'm going to get (good) grass to grow on my bare spot while suppressing the Bermuda.

Irrigate well if you can -- 0.75-1.5"/week, ideally all at once. Bermuda is much more drought tolerant than fescue in summer heat.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Katt posted:

Northern Europe.

What you have there is an invasion of Solanum tuberosum, you can get rid of them with lots of boiling water and butter to taste.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Been throwing out potato skins eh?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Ooh, I didn't know that Ice Plants could be variegated:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tree Update: Everything is green and healthy, huge leaves, no immediate signs of trouble, and the longest shoot is now 1’ 9” long. I also haven’t watered it in forever because all the rain we’ve been getting has been doing it for me.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Can anyone ID this big shrub? I saw this in a park in Ohio. It was about 7 feet tall and covered with bees. I'm looking to plant a tall hedgerow and want something that brings bees and butterflies.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hi thread. Is my apricot tree saveable? It's just entering its third summer. The first year it grew fine. Last year it grew quite well, most of the growth in this picture was from last year. This year it's struggling to put out even a single decent leaf. We did have a very cold winter, and a very late spring frost, so I wonder if it's largely due to winter damage. Anything I can do to help it out this year? Just let it do its thing and hope it springs back next year?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lwoodio posted:

Can anyone ID this big shrub? I saw this in a park in Ohio. It was about 7 feet tall and covered with bees. I'm looking to plant a tall hedgerow and want something that brings bees and butterflies.

That’s a loving privet.

Don’t plant that poo poo.

Give me a moment to come up with some appropriate alternatives.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Viburnum

Abelia

Lilac

I like holly and boxwood hedges but they don’t flower so much, especially if trimmed.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Lilac! Lilac! Lilac!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I saw a shrub while I was out driving around today with dark foliage and the most beautiful big white star-shaped flowers. It look like it smelled great. :) I'm not sure what it is, but I bet I could look it up.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I saw this pretty plant on my walk in to class

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

I saw a shrub while I was out driving around today with dark foliage and the most beautiful big white star-shaped flowers. It look like it smelled great. :) I'm not sure what it is, but I bet I could look it up.

How big of flowers? And like star-shaped with separate petals, or more trumpet-shaped? I was thinking Datura, which has dark foliage, and is kind of bush-like. Big, white flowers that look like trumpets, and can be pointy in some varieties. Highly poisonous so don't eat it!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Lilac! Lilac! Lilac!

Empty-quoting this

Eeyo posted:

How big of flowers? And like star-shaped with separate petals, or more trumpet-shaped? I was thinking Datura, which has dark foliage, and is kind of bush-like. Big, white flowers that look like trumpets, and can be pointy in some varieties. Highly poisonous so don't eat it!

... Or do :2bong:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hee! No, these blooms were clearly star-shaped, maybe 3-4" across. Some cursory Googling points to a type of dogwood (Oriental?) or maybe a late magnolia.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ColdPie posted:

Hi thread. Is my apricot tree saveable? It's just entering its third summer. The first year it grew fine. Last year it grew quite well, most of the growth in this picture was from last year. This year it's struggling to put out even a single decent leaf. We did have a very cold winter, and a very late spring frost, so I wonder if it's largely due to winter damage. Anything I can do to help it out this year? Just let it do its thing and hope it springs back next year?

That's... pretty bad. Metaphorically speaking, your tree is on the ropes. I wouldn't touch it this year and hope for the best. At this young, even if it does survive, you'll be able to train it into the shape you want. That being said, right now I'd be looking up nurseries to replace it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you wait to see how the apricot tree does, you can buy a bare root tree next winter for cheap.

If you value the headstart, you can buy a potted apricot now for roughly double the price.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

lwoodio posted:

Mixed hedgerows are the best, because for wildlife you can't beat variety. Different plants will provide different things to different species and at different times. It's far superior to a monoculture hedgerow. This side of the Atlantic I'd recommend a mixed native hedgerow of things like Blackthorn, hawthorn, dog rose, hazel, dogwood, crab apple. There may be equivalents for Ohio.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

kid sinister posted:

That's... pretty bad. Metaphorically speaking, your tree is on the ropes. I wouldn't touch it this year and hope for the best. At this young, even if it does survive, you'll be able to train it into the shape you want. That being said, right now I'd be looking up nurseries to replace it.

Platystemon posted:

If you wait to see how the apricot tree does, you can buy a bare root tree next winter for cheap.

If you value the headstart, you can buy a potted apricot now for roughly double the price.

Thanks. I got it mail order bare root from a place in Wisconsin. I think they're like $20. I don't know if I'll bother, though, if I don't know what went wrong. Seems weird to me that it'd be fine for two years and die on the third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Besides the cold, something that could have put it on death’s doorstep is waterlogged soil.

Stonefruit trees are vulnerable to drainage problems.

The solutions are to plant elsewhere, channel water away from the area (e.g. with a French drain), or build a raised bed for the tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2nI0k79Ec0

Assuming for a moment that drainage is the issue, and that you want to try to salvage that tree, my thinking would be to dig it up now and plant it in a raised position.

I don’t know that the tree stands a better chance of surviving that than if you let it rest in situ till wet weather threatened. Either way, transplant shock may well kill it, and I figure it’s better to roll the dice on that now and see how it shakes out.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 20, 2019