Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Magician Red is "hot"

TBF Magician Red did "hot" well enough that it could've instantly won a lot of fights right up into this part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TheKingofSprings posted:

TBF Magician Red did "hot" well enough that it could've instantly won a lot of fights right up into this part

"Mr. Joestar, I have found that the only way to defeat skip -*KING CRIMSON*- burn it!"

*Diavolo is hiding behind a pillar, now on fire*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I wasn't talking about its power

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

"Mr. Joestar, I have found that the only way to defeat skip -*KING CRIMSON*- burn it!"

Turns out when you skip "Room on loving fire" you still end up being stuck with a room that's on loving fire when everything's said and done

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Turns out when you skip "Room on loving fire" you still end up being stuck with a room that's on loving fire when everything's said and done

he would have had to math out how long the skip is and how fast diavolo can run

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The turtle that's hung around being a secretly integral part of the group is finally giving dramatic poses and giving orders and it's my favorite thing about Part 5 honestly

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Pootybutt posted:

The turtle that's hung around being a secretly integral part of the group is finally giving dramatic poses and giving orders and it's my favorite thing about Part 5 honestly

im sad it doesnt have his hair tho :(

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Polnareff is a tortoise

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I would pay money to never see a hot springs episode in anything ever again.

I would pay money to see a hot springs episode starring Bruno being Bruno.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I would pay money to see a hot springs episode starring Bruno being Bruno.

Slowly decaying?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Funky Valentine posted:

Even though this is an abridged series running joke it's pretty much true. Sure you're a timeskipping bastard but what you gonna do when everything is on loving fire?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Kikas posted:

I think we've established that early Jojo Araki wasn't very good at:
a) treating dogs right
b) writing good female characters.
I guess that Part 5 is the one where he's good to dogs. I've heard that the next part is the one where he decides "Man I gotta step up my girl-writing game", but since I'm an anime only dude, only time will tell.

Yeah part 6 is a predominately female cast so that's fun.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Even though this is an abridged series running joke it's pretty much true. Sure you're a timeskipping bastard but what you gonna do when everything is on loving fire?

Don't go into the room (thanks Epitaph).

Also, removing actions might remove the action of actually pulling out your Stand.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Great, so now diavolo is too afraid to even enter the ring with Magican's Red.

Who's the big chicken now?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Avdol vs. Diavolo would you just end the same way Avdol vs. Vanilla Ice except instead of being eaten by a dimensional hellhole Avdol has a fist bursting through his chest.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Avdol was balanced by the fact that he actually cared about collateral damage

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Except for that one time on the plane. And in Tiger Balm Garden, I guess.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Avdol was balanced by the fact that he actually cared about collateral damage

He mostly loved havin a good piss w the boys

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's a crime that Avdol, Abbacchio, and Yuuya never got to hang out.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Everyone please say thank you to the greatest JoJo dad, Kosaku Kawajiri

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I swear this episode stretched way too long compared to what it was in the manga.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Expect My Mom posted:

Everyone please say thank you to the greatest JoJo dad, Kosaku Kawajiri

I would argue that Kira's dad was shown to be the most loving and supportive in the series so far

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Im a turtle now

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I will argue that George Joestar was the most loving father in the series for the little on-screen time he had before dying.

E: George the First who took in Dio.

GuyUpNorth fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 17, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

I would argue that Kira's dad was shown to be the most loving and supportive in the series so far

In a certain manner of speaking, I guess. He probably messed Kira's head up with his idea of support, though.

GuyUpNorth posted:

I will argue that George Joestar was the most loving father in the series for the little on-screen time he had before dying.

Which one?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

In a certain manner of speaking, I guess. He probably messed Kira's head up with his idea of support, though.

just so we are clear, I do not think the serial killer enabler is a good father

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Pootybutt posted:

He mostly loved havin a good piss w the boys

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Mans posted:

I swear this episode stretched way too long compared to what it was in the manga.

I've felt this a lot while watching the show. Overall, I've enjoyed watching it less than I remember liking reading the manga. A big reason is while reading I didn't realize like 80% of the fights are "someone is around the corner in plain sight but for some reason no one sees them and comes to help".

The anime has had the best set pieces by far, like the torture dance and the 7 page beatdown, and it's still p darn good overall, but it's actually making me reconsider how much I liked this part compared to others.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

I've felt this a lot while watching the show. Overall, I've enjoyed watching it less than I remember liking reading the manga. A big reason is while reading I didn't realize like 80% of the fights are "someone is around the corner in plain sight but for some reason no one sees them and comes to help".

The anime has had the best set pieces by far, like the torture dance and the 7 page beatdown, and it's still p darn good overall, but it's actually making me reconsider how much I liked this part compared to others.

part 5 generally has high highs and low lows, when it's good it's really good, but when it's off it's just boring as hell

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was going to wait to post my overall thoughts until after it was over and I still think I will do that, but in general for Part 5 I feel that:

-The characters themselves are great, and the Stands are probably the most creative they have been so far in the series.
-However Giorno is by far the most boring MC in the franchise and Gold Experience is "hand wave: the Stand" even more so than usual. Mudamudamuda was good though.
-In general the story kind of doesn't make sense? The pacing and set of themes feels all over the place. You basically have three arcs "get Polpo's gold" > "protect Trish" > "find the boss's identity and take them out" and each one has been an abrupt and disruptive transition that didn't really feel earned.
-From a lore/worldbuilding perspective it feels like kind of a waste that Giorno being Dio's son hasn't really mattered at all.

I'd probably still place it above Part 3 though, the signal-to-noise ratio of good episodes still feels a lot higher here.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 17, 2019

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Giorno being Dio's son only mattered before they realized he took after the Joestars and not Dio.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

for something that had almost zero buildup prior to the episode, I did dig Polnareff's confrontation with Diavolo - especially the music (guessing that track hasn't been used before and will show up in the last OST in August?):

Crusader fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 17, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Giorno being Dio's son only mattered before they realized he took after the Joestars and not Dio.
I mean wasn't Koichi's realization more that, "hey Jotaro give me some more time to look into this, he doesn't seem that bad though idk". Going in I definitely thought he was going to be an ancillary character for a while and him learning to trust Giorno would be a bigger deal than just the fight with Black Sabbath.

I'd say they also built up some mystery/mystique with Giorno's mother and how she was able to survive being with Dio but this would not be the first time JoJo has hinted at some mysterious backstories only to just sort of leave them unaddressed.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the narrative function of giorno being dio (and jonathan's son) is that he has the same overwhelming Charisma as DIO but uses it to inspire and lead others.

the scene where giorno drapes himself around mista so he can calmly fire the gun is perhaps an unconcious callback to the way DIO would be so seductive to kakyoin and polnareff, convincing them that he can give them peace and comfort

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Giorno has Dio's ruthlessness as well as the Joestar's burning sense of honor and duty.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
There was this article I read talking about Touhou that made me think about both Dio and Giorno's purposes in the story but that should probably be saved til we get to the end of the anime, if I ever get around to doing that at all. :v:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Expect My Mom posted:

the narrative function of giorno being dio (and jonathan's son) is that he has the same overwhelming Charisma as DIO but uses it to inspire and lead others.

the scene where giorno drapes himself around mista so he can calmly fire the gun is perhaps an unconcious callback to the way DIO would be so seductive to kakyoin and polnareff, convincing them that he can give them peace and comfort

Yeah all that charisma that makes everyone call him the most boringest jojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yes that is why I said "narratively" and used charisma as a proper noun to encapsulate how the concept is used within theseries, not how its reflected in fan opinion, thanks for reading