Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The nature of CoH is any primary works, though. The only bad defender primary is poison, because it excels at single-target debuffs in a game that's almost always about fighting large mobs. Storm and Traps take a bit of finesse, but don't suck. I'd also recommend Dark, Radiation, Time and Thermal, which are also relatively easy-to-use and pretty powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Doesn't poison have an AOE splash now?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Merilan posted:

could you make Repel great by slotting KB to KD on it

I wouldn't say great, but it'd be less poo poo? You'd still have to be really up close to anything to make it work and it'd be constantly sapping your endurance on top of the toggle's gigantic end cost as it is, and both of those are probably things you don't want.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Crasical posted:

Doesn't poison have an AOE splash now?

Yeah, but it's 8ft and the secondary targets are affected less, so it still sucks.

Merilan posted:

IMO the issue with Repel is Kin wants you to be stuck in so you're benefitting from all your fantastic enemy targetted heals and buffs, and Repel is pushing everything away from you all the time. It's a massive end hog, as well, but the major issue is it fucks up the benefit you get from Fulcrum, Transference, and so on.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 17, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I wouldn't say great, but it'd be less poo poo? You'd still have to be really up close to anything to make it work and it'd be constantly sapping your endurance on top of the toggle's gigantic end cost as it is, and both of those are probably things you don't want.

yeah I guess it'd be way more work than it's worth it

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

spectralent posted:

The nature of CoH is any primary works, though. The only bad defender primary is poison, because it excels at single-target debuffs in a game that's almost always about fighting large mobs. Storm and Traps take a bit of finesse, but don't suck. I'd also recommend Dark, Radiation, Time and Thermal, which are also relatively easy-to-use and pretty powerful.

Poison does a bunch of aoe debuffing, just not as much as the single target. It's an AV destroying machine.

It mostly suffers because it was never meant to be a defender set. It's got a bunch of control powers without being a controller, and it's T9 is PBAOE. Which is great when you're putting it on a henchman, less so when it's a toggle on your squishy defender self.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

My thoughts on the support sets, while people are here, I guess (note: I played most of these on live, and sometimes as secondaries on controllers and MMs (which are very different) and corruptors (which are a bit different), so apologies if I misrepresent things)

Cold Domination
Cold domination is a defence boosting and debuff oriented set. You can get pretty competent defence boosts out of the shields, and it's helped by your resistance-and-stealth aura which gives a little defence too, and you have a reasonably unique +max HP buff, which you can keep up on a couple of people. Because their max HP increases, the amount of HP their regeneration and heals cover will improve as well, so WP and Regen love this. Stacks well onto defence tanks and the like, too, but resistance sets generally have a bit less need for it because it synergises less well. Nobody's going to turn down +max HP though.

The common side effect of cold attacks is slow, and CD loving rocks the slow train, with almost every debuff having a slow component, which dramatically reduces incoming damage by the fact there's less of it. This is by and large a side effect of your debuffs, though, which include potent defence and strength ST debuffs (the latter with a relatively unique status effect debuff, making your target's mezzes and stuff way worse; not many, if any, other sets get that), an AOE slow anchor (a toggle targetted on an enemy), and an targetted (i.e. click where you want it) AOE -defence and -resist power that also slips and trips your opponent, which is pretty juicy. The capstone is a single target end transfer power which lowers their resistance and gives allies near the target a lump sum of endurance and improved recovery; it's not bad but it has a heavy recharge so it's not as wild as Transference or some of the other end drains.

Four stars. Very good, but some of it's powers are done better in other sets; offers them in unique combinations, though.

Dark Miasma

Did you look at defender, then at controller, then defender again, and then weep, because you couldn't pick and didn't know you have like seventy thousand character slots? GOOD NEWS, Dark Miasma exists! Dark Miasma has always been one of my favourite sets because it's just such a weird little beast, combining some potent debuffs and a nice heal with actual no-poo poo mez effects on good recharges like a controller. Your heal and rez are enemy targetted, and will gently caress up things they hit with debuffs (a little bit for the heal, a LOT for the rez, to the point where you could use it for that purpose if nobody's dying), and Shadow Fall is a resistance and stealth aura that you'll see in a fair few support sets, with the twin perks that it resists psionic, which can be hard to come by, and it's Fear resistance as well, which is VERY hard to come by.

Debuffs wise, you have a point-and-click -resistance patch that slows people, a heavy -acc and -dam debuff anchor, and... Fearsome Stare's large accuracy debuff. But that's not why you're taking Fearsome Stare. Fearsome Stare is also a cone fear power on a pretty short recharge; enough to keep it up indefinitely on a group with some slotting. Added to this Petrifying Gaze, a competent single target hold, and if you really wanted Black Hole, an AOE intangibility effect (you can't hit them, they can't hit you), and the fact it gets an all-rounder support pet for it's pinnacle slot, and you have a defender which has multiclassed into controller.

Dark Servant, the pet, is very good, incidentally, and will duplicate a lot of your powers, meaning you'll get stacking holds and lots of -tohit and healing from both of you.

Five stars. Dark is great.

Empathy
Empathy is not a bad set, it's just usually very unnecessary.

Empathy's main sell, to plebs, is that there's a lot of heals in it, especially near the start. And there are, it's good at healing and has an early, uncomplicated rez. But as you may have noticed, defenders aren't "healers", they're force multipliers, making everyone tougher and stronger and meaning as your team size increases, generally, incoming damage becomes less of a problem. Add to that the fact most other sets can also heal a bit, and all the sweet green numbers it can drop seem kind of pointless.

What it does do is give out some great buffs, so all is not lost. Clear Mind is the earliest and is straight-up global mez resistance, which can be really handy, but Fortitude is where it really shines, giving 2-3 people (it recharges more quickly than it expires) the equivalent of an additional SO to their accuracy, damage, and defence. The two aura powers are fantastic as well (even if Regen Aura makes the earlier healing powers even more redundant) but have a nastier cooldown than would be nice. Adrenalin Boost is the capstone and basically gives one lucky person in your group a 90 second window of immortality with a massive boost to regen, recovery and recharge.

Two stars. Not bad, but the good stuff is on heavy recharges and the healing's overboard, and it has no enemy affecting powers at all.

Force Field
Force Field is very good and fairly boring. If you're playing a mastermind dear god do not take it; you'll sit there, nothing will hit your pets, and you'll just slowly grind through every mission. But you're a defender, right? So, it's probably not bad; a lot of it's effects are fire-and-forget (for several minutes) and one of the best powers is a toggle, so by and large, you'll drop buffs, then get stuck in. Dispersion Bubble, the PBAOE +def power, also has a smattering of status protection, which is very nice for your poor squishies in the back line who don't natively get any. If they're getting hit at all because your powers push your allies to a hair's breadth of the defence soft cap anyway once they're slotted (defence's actual cap is some ridiculous number nobody will ever reach, but an even level minion has a 50% chance of hitting you and nobody can have less than 5% or more than 95% chance to hit, so 45% defence is the "soft cap". Slotted 'fenders give about 40%).

The non buff side of things is mainly knockback effects, which can be very good control and can really annoy teammates, so use wisely. Detention Field is a bad power because it's not a toggle and you have to live with the thing you put in bubble prison being there for thirty seconds regardless of if you want it out or not.

The capstone is a really big repel; this pushes things away, it doesn't knock them back. I always felt like it was kind of unnecessary and the end cost is on the harsh side.

Three stars. It's very powerful but playing it on an MM scarred me and also I hate detention field.

Kinetics
Probably the best support set in the game. Most of it's powers have the gimmick of needing an enemy around to siphon off, but who cares, you have plenty of those. The buffs are massive boosts to damage (Fulcrum Shift on a defender can often straight-up cap damage buffs, and it has a one minute recharge), and there are powers to boost your own and your team's recharge. You can siphon enemy endurance to both heal health and your own team's endurance, meaning you basically never stop. Inertial Reduction is goofy fun. Increase Density is weird mez protection. Everything in it is good except for Repel, for the same reasons you might need to explain how you work for new teams: Most of your buffs and heals center on the enemies you use them on. You want to be stuck in, basically. But if you are, nothing makes a mission fly past like Kinetics. Slot accuracy in things that can take it; one SO good, two better.

Five stars. It's just really, really good.

Nature
Nature was pretty new when the game closed, and I never made one because I already had a bunch of support using characters, but a friend was pretty into it and it was common enough, so I'll try and gesture at it a bit. It's a bit of an all-rounder, leaning towards healing, and it has a new mechanic they invented called Absorption, which is +Max HP but worse (since it doesn't regenerate or affect regeneration). There's some good PBAOE buffs, and it has a nice +heal and +end field power. It gets a -acc/dam anchor that also debuffs resistance, which is pretty neat. Most of the late game sets had some sexy trick to them to make them stand out on the market, and Nature was no different; it's thing is "Bloom", a stacking buff that increases other healing by 4% for each stack, which is nice but not world shattering. It helps you don't need to track bloom on people. It's VERY pretty, animations wise.

Three stars. I'd probably do this instead of Empathy now if I wanted green numbers; the +end effect is a loving toggle, and generally it feels more user friendly, but I never used it.

Pain
See Empathy, but imagine there's death metal on in the background.

In seriousness, it's similar. Pain is also very heal focused, and has a lot of similar powers, but tends to boost recharge/damage as a rider to the main effects, which is obviously useful. The later powers are more different; there's a PBAOE defence/res debuff, the fortitude equivalent is PBAOE but will have downtime unless you go crazy with IOs, and painbringer is adrenaline boost but gives you more end recovery and gives +dam instead of recharge. In general, it's evil goatee Empathy, and I'd say it's better because of that; you lose the standout recovery auras, but being able to bring an SO's worth of acc, dam, and resistance is pretty sweet.

Three stars. It's fun, but it has the same issue in that it just has an unnecessary amount of healing. Having an enemy debuff and lots of +rech and +damage saves it.

Poison
Poison is baaaad. Poison's main perk is it's very good single target debuffs (they're very slightly AOEs now but it's really token), but so does Cold or Thermal and they're also good at other things, whereas in Poison you're relying on Neurotoxic Breath and Poison Trap, and the first of those is alright but that's one good power. You're great at totalling an AV's defences, but also so are most other defender sets and they're also way more useful everywhere else, too.

Poison was made for MMs and it kind of shows because the capstone power is way better there; it's an AOE aura on a pet which causes things near them to be debuffed and also causes periodic vomiting, which is fantastic because vomiting in CoH is usually a mag 100 or something hold that will even hold AVs. The defender/corruptor version gets a lovely PBAOE toggle version, instead, which doesn't even make things puke.

CoH is not a game where you can make unplayably bad characters very easily, but almost everything Poison does is done by something else, better. My overriding hope is that Poison gets renamed Infection and the powers that are bad AOEs get a contagion effect where they hop, because that'd be really cool and also probably make it more useful, but that's never happening.

One star. Just... you could pick something else, you know?

Radiation
Radiation being here is deeply appropriate because it gets two anchors that do more or less the same level of debuffs that Poison's A-list single target debuffs do, but are AOE anchor toggles.

Oh, also, Radiation gets two anchor toggles that're dropping debuffs almost as good as Poison. Radiation excels at making everyone you hate really poo poo at their jobs; the toggles are a bit pricey, but you can live with it with some slotting and one of your PBAOE buffs gives an end recovery increase and also affects you. Lingering Radiation is a power made for dissolving AVs given it's massive autohit -regen effect, and Fallout is one of my favourite unnecessary powers, being a corpse-bomb type thing that does a nasty hit... and more excellent debuffs. You want to set up a macro for that that sets off Fallout and queues Mutation (the rez) so they can explode then arise from the ashes all mean and green. The capstone is an AOE hold and regen debuff, and it's a bit unnecessary, but it's a very good set.

Five stars. Fun and versatile, lovely debuffs.

Sonic
Sonic's throughline is resistance; it buffs and debuffs that. It has some really potent resistance shields and mez protection, being a kind of weirdly themed Forcefield analogue, but instead of the KB stuff it has a bunch of enemy resistance debuffs; Siphon comes early and is good but Disruption Field is an ally-anchored AOE resistance debuff that's almost as potent as the single target one. It's also a bit pricey end-wise, but holy poo poo what a fantastic thing to dump on your scrappers and brutes. Like forcefield it gets an annoying cage effect that's a pain in the rear end for the same reason FF's is.

The capstone is Liquefy, which lets you click the middle of a huge mob to debuff everything in it to poo poo with a massive recharge, defence and accuracy debuff, and ongoing knockdown effects that'll keep everything in the hellzone.

Four stars. I was going to give this three, but I remembered how much fun it is with a good melee DPS, so it gets a star.

Storm
Hoo, boy, Storm. This is a hard one to rate because it's main thing is generating chaos in the form of knockback and panic effects, and how good it is depends on how adept you are at managing that. It's not all whirlwinds and thunderclouds; O2 Boost is a heal with some really nice secondary effects, especially going into late game where end drain is common, Snow Storm is a nice anchored AOE slow, and Freezing Rain is a floor targetted trip/defence/resist like Sleet is in Cold, and it's just as good. But the main thing in Storm is that there's loads of powerful knockback effects and you mostly need to know how to knock people around so they're going into your allies instead of away from them. Hurricane helps a fair bit, being a repel that'll let you push things around, as well as a fantastic tohit debuff. Lightning Storm is surprisingly powerful, as well, but will randomly chuck things around.

Two... four... stars? Storm is really going to be a matter of personal taste and how much effort you want to put into managing your knockback. It's definitely really good if you do it right, and becomes a demi-controller that works via knockback.

Thermal
By "Thermal" they mean "Fire". You get a combination of +res shields, a nice fortitude-alike, healing, a damage and regen debuff and the excellent Melt Armour debuff as a capstone, which applies a long-lived defence and resist debuff on a tolerable cooldown. You should be getting this off at least every other mob. Healing and +Res shields is a relatively nice combo, since you're less likely to see someone's HP going from 100 to 20 in one go when they're all sitting on 30% resistance to all, giving breathing room. Thaw is universal mez protection again, though it also buffs against ice powers. The rez hits everything around the target with a boss-affecting stun, so it's a little safer to use on someone being trampled by a mob of council or whatever than most rez powers.

Four stars, it's kind of goatee Cold like how Pain is for Empathy.

Time
Time is a versatile set with a variety of potent buff and debuff affects with one of those late development mechanics I mentioned; characters affected by Acceleration get more from heals, and characters affected by Deceleration take worse debuffs. The actual debuffs are excellent, and cover basically everything. There's expected -recharge and slow effects, but also -acc/dam (AOE anchor) and -res/def powers (clicky but should be up every mob with slots), as well as a slow AOE field that procs holds on people. The buffs include a maintainable (with slotting) def/tohit buff, a really sweet +rech/dam/regen buff you can keep up on 1-2 people, and the capstone, a PBAOE heal over time tied to +end recovery and +recharge effects. It can't be permanent, but it can salvage situations in emergencies.

Five stars. There's nothing time doesn't do, and it does everything it does competently to excellently.

Traps
Traps is fun! I dunno if it's good, to be fair, but it's a lot of fun, and this is CoX so it's at least viable. Forcefield Generator is a third of an FF defender, and Acid Mortar is an excellent -res spamming pet. Triage Beacon can be perma with slotting, and is potent given it's exceptional duration if you can keep a fight in one place. Trip mine is just plain fun. Put a lot of them around a corner and then get the tank to bait a mob into running straight into it. Time Bomb is a bit of a dud but just because it's so hard to hit with; this used to be an MM set, as well, and on MMs it was the more useful Detonator, which had a pet explode or try and deliver a bomb for you depending on if they were sentient. It does at least hurt when it hits.

Traps has the weakness you'd expect from a set called Traps in that you'd really like to be able to have the enemies come to you, and that's not how fights in CoH usually work, but if you can work with it, it's a good set, if not necessarily top tier, and at worst Acid Mortar and toebombing (setting up trip mines in the midst of the enemy while they're focused on someone else) is still a useful contribution.

Three stars! It's a lot of fun so it wins the five star fun award, in my heart.

Trick Arrow
I actually think Trick Arrow is okay. The main drawback to TA is it's all debuff, no buff, and thus it lags a bit compared to others, but it has two nice -res effects and an okay -dam. Oil Slick Arrow is one of those trick powers; the default effect is a slip and minor knockdown, but you can trade that for the game's biggest burn patch by hitting it with a fire or energy attack, which combined with your two -res AOEs should put the hurt on most anything. The capstone is an arrow version of EMP from Radiation, and it's still kind of an okay power here.

Two stars. Ultimately it suffers from Empathy's issues in reverse; all debuff, no buff. More points for style.

All my opinion etc etc.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My soft spot for /Sonic Resonance means I feel it should be clarified, that the toggle aura of mez protection (and token damage resists) APPLIES TO YOURSELF. While it's no melee class amount, it never gets old being a squishy support with built in immunity to basic immobilize, stuns, holds. The single target ally buff also boosts +Perc, handy for when nobody has yellows or other +Perc options when smoke bombs start flying (Or curing people who don't realize they are confused of murdering their own team :v: )

You know, even if Force Fields offers the self status protection to... and with bigger numbers...

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 17, 2019

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I tried a Beast Mastery/Nature Mastermind. It made sense, since the pets are often/always in front on you, and they lack true self support. It....didn't really work for me, and I didn't like the healing patch you put down yourself. The raw power didn't feel there. Maybe I didn't take it high enough-about 20 or so. Thermal's more fitting for the character anyway-it's an enemy character from Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, who literally has a move called Murder Of Crows. Restyle the Dire Wolf as a Warg, and all else is gravy.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Poison is good except for poison trap being the inferior version (it has -rec instead of -regen) and the crash on the rez being pretty harsh. I don't know what you're smoking but I'd love some of it. The numbers it offers on defender are great.

We've had a lot of discussions on discord and a number of goons playing with it that consider it a pretty beastly alternative to the usual 'mainstream' sets that people gush over.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I made a DP/Dark Miasma corruptor as a silly Persona 5 Joker cosplay character and he ended up becoming my main because Dark Miasma kicks so much rear end. Eventually I redid his name and costume and everything so he'd be an original character and just kept on rolling. Dark Miasma owns so hard it even makes Dual Pistols feel competent.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Merilan posted:

Does "Repel" even take KB to KD? Knockback and repel are different effects, I know forcefield can't slot it in most of its repel fields. Force Bubble would be amazing if it could take KB to KD but its' a repel effect so it can't.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Does "Repel" even take KB to KD? Knockback and repel are different effects, I know forcefield can't slot it in most of its repel fields. Force Bubble would be amazing if it could take KB to KD but its' a repel effect so it can't.

the repel power in kinetics is just a high mag knockback aura

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah ironically Repel is not a repel power. Force Field only gets two such powers, and one is just a Repel clone (including its ability to take KB enhancements). The other is Force Bubble which does have a knockdown proc already, but outside of that you can't really sensibly convert repel to knockdown because repel inflicts physics forces on enemies in a totally different way. Also unlike Hurricane, Force Bubble really only has that one job.

spectralent posted:

IMO the issue with Repel is Kin wants you to be stuck in so you're benefitting from all your fantastic enemy targetted heals and buffs, and Repel is pushing everything away from you all the time. It's a massive end hog, as well, but the major issue is it fucks up the benefit you get from Fulcrum, Transference, and so on.

The secret to Repel (and similar powers) is that you should toggle it on to get something nasty out of your face (because Transfusion or not, a Freak Tank in melee is lethal to a squishy) or to ragdoll a boss into a convenient corner and then turn it off. Do not leave it running at all times, do not wade into entire mobs with it turned on.

It's definitely still a skippable power to be sure, but when used properly knockback is such a killer mez that it can absolutely be worth using if you do it right.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 17, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Help, I can't come up with a compelling reason to make a Blaster over a Corruptor.

Higher damage doesn't matter to me if I die all the time.

I soloed an Illusion/Emp Controller to 50. My brain is broken!

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The secret is to play blaster and then use that higher damage to delete enemies so you actually DON'T die.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
IMHO Poison isn't horrible. Problem is, it's main shtick is debuffing AVs, which Cold and Radiation both do better, and do other stuff too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crasical posted:

The secret is to play blaster and then use that higher damage to delete enemies so you actually DON'T die.

Also actually use your free immobilize power (or the hilarity that is Power Thrust) to keep stuff away from your face.

You also don't actually know Blasters if you haven't leveled one up to their shiny new defensive power. If all you know of Blasters is their pre-I24 (and frankly over-exaggerated) tendency to die horribly, then you're behind the curve.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 17, 2019

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Inzombiac posted:

Help, I can't come up with a compelling reason to make a Blaster over a Corruptor.

Higher damage doesn't matter to me if I die all the time.

Corruptors do a lot less damage than a blaster, and by a lot, I mean a lot. Scourge doesn't make up for it.

I'm not saying they're worthless, but if you solo you'll *probably* have more fun as a blaster.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

Blasters are a steady supply of Vengeance before the next mob?

Non-joke answer: the secret to playing Blaster well is "I'm going to blow you up... and I brought all my friends to help!"

Edit: I played a FF Defender to 50 and hated every minute of it. That was back when the bubbles were single target and a 3 minute duration meant you had just enough time to get both bubbles on everyone before the first bubbles started fading, so maybe it sucks less now that you have time to use your secondary? (Mine was Elec but elec blast being The Worst is widely known)

Sonic is FF's evil mustache-twirling doppleganger and it's significantly better for the lessons learned between CoH's launch and CoV.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 17, 2019

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gynovore posted:

IMHO Poison isn't horrible. Problem is, it's main shtick is debuffing AVs, which Cold and Radiation both do better, and do other stuff too.

Envenom stacks with itself.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Nature affinity is really good if you set MM pets to goto and aggressive to start each fight. You really want them standing in one place and not going outside of the heal field. If you keep them there, you’re basically running an army of tanks with all the healing they get (between that meadow and all the other resistance/heal/debuff powers).

I’ve been playing a demons/nature character lately (got a good pun with “Seasonal Elegies”) and can confirm this is good fun. My main weakness at the moment is cooldowns on some of my buffs, but this is correcting itself as I slot in SO’s and IO’s. That healing meadow is no slouch on healing, though, and its cooldown is low enough that I can move it as needed.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

spectralent posted:

Dark Miasma

Did you look at defender, then at controller, then defender again, and then weep, because you couldn't pick and didn't know you have like seventy thousand character slots? GOOD NEWS, Dark Miasma exists! Dark Miasma has always been one of my favourite sets because it's just such a weird little beast, combining some potent debuffs and a nice heal with actual no-poo poo mez effects on good recharges like a controller. Your heal and rez are enemy targetted, and will gently caress up things they hit with debuffs (a little bit for the heal, a LOT for the rez, to the point where you could use it for that purpose if nobody's dying), and Shadow Fall is a resistance and stealth aura that you'll see in a fair few support sets, with the twin perks that it resists psionic, which can be hard to come by, and it's Fear resistance as well, which is VERY hard to come by.

Debuffs wise, you have a point-and-click -resistance patch that slows people, a heavy -acc and -dam debuff anchor, and... Fearsome Stare's large accuracy debuff. But that's not why you're taking Fearsome Stare. Fearsome Stare is also a cone fear power on a pretty short recharge; enough to keep it up indefinitely on a group with some slotting. Added to this Petrifying Gaze, a competent single target hold, and if you really wanted Black Hole, an AOE intangibility effect (you can't hit them, they can't hit you), and the fact it gets an all-rounder support pet for it's pinnacle slot, and you have a defender which has multiclassed into controller.

Dark Servant, the pet, is very good, incidentally, and will duplicate a lot of your powers, meaning you'll get stacking holds and lots of -tohit and healing from both of you.

Five stars. Dark is great.

Miasma actually gets six stars because of the loud-rear end HOWLING TWILIGHT noise you get to spam imo

Inzombiac posted:

there is none

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

John Murdoch posted:

Also actually use your free immobilize power (or the hilarity that is Power Thrust) to keep stuff away from your face.

You also don't actually know Blasters if you haven't leveled one up to their shiny new defensive power. If all you know of Blasters is their pre-I24 (and frankly over-exaggerated) tendency to die horribly, then you're behind the curve.

That's a very good point. Last time I played one, we were throwing ourselves off buildings and popping our nukes.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i dont think i've played a blaster since i2

maybe gotta roll one tonight and try it out

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm trying to come up with a good elementalist build and Storm is probably going to be a large component.

Is the solo Defender damage bonus good enough to go that route or should it just be a Corr?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

Is the solo Defender damage bonus good enough to go that route or should it just be a Corr?

CoH ATs were built with teaming in mind but could be soloed out of necessity.

CoV ATs were designed with the knowledge that players sometimes enjoy soloing even when they didn't have to and were designed with that in mind.

Edit: They're both good ATs so it really boils down to which powerset you want to get the best tools for first.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 17, 2019

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i know indom is the goon server or w/e but the rp server is a shitload of fun if you want to see some real weirdos. its great.

i made an Aquabat there like day 1 and i forgot how much fun grouping with Very Serious RPers and furries and their tragic backstories as a washed up radioactive ska musician is

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

I'm trying to come up with a good elementalist build and Storm is probably going to be a large component.

It depends. I have been pretty successful when I solo with a time/beam defender but it's still pretty slow, even with beam rifle being a relatively high dps set. You will definitely rely on your buffs/debuffs to keep you alive while you whittle things down even with the damage buff. It's still a lot more stable than blaster soloing where if you don't win in the first few seconds you're in trouble unless you have a really solid survival strategy or lots of purps.

A corrupter kind of sits in the middle and leans more on damage output than buffs to survive but as a result will kill things faster as long as you don't bite off more than you can chew.

None of that really matters after you get loaded up with IO sets and incarnate powers though, so level up using the archetype and power combo you enjoy playing rather than what seems more efficient or powerful during the ride from 1-49.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
IIRC Vigilance is roughly pre-scourge corruptor damage if you're solo. IIRC Scourge is kind of thbbbt as far as a damage booster goes so yeah you're probably fine.

I had a dark/dark/soul corruptor on live and I'm planning on turning them into a dark/dark/dark defender for Homecoming if/when the snipe changes comes through so I can level them with Dark blast/Gloom/Moonbeam attack cycle to make early levels less awful.

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
Okay, just picked up and rolled a fire/kin Corr on Indomitable. I missed this game so dang much, but I don’t really want to do Discord, but I wanna play the game with goons again. @Sufficient

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sufficient posted:

Okay, just picked up and rolled a fire/kin Corr on Indomitable. I missed this game so dang much, but I don’t really want to do Discord, but I wanna play the game with goons again. @Sufficient

That's a good combo but if you want some REALLY silly poo poo, make it a Controller.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Sufficient posted:

/Chanjoin goonsquad

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Gynovore posted:

Yeah, basically. I'm not sure they do it better, but they certainly do it well enough that you're not going to go "Oh, poo poo, we needed a Poison and all we've got is this Radiation defender!", while being way more useful at other stuff. I mean, I played it on an MM on live and it was fine, but it's also outclassed for most content by every other set.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

I AM THE MOON posted:

i know indom is the goon server or w/e but the rp server is a shitload of fun if you want to see some real weirdos. its great.

i made an Aquabat there like day 1 and i forgot how much fun grouping with Very Serious RPers and furries and their tragic backstories as a washed up radioactive ska musician is

Counterpoint: last night I was in a DFB that had (The) George Lucas and Quentin Tarantino in it and they were going all in on the quotes and filmmakers schtick and it was great.

Although that probably happens more on the rp server :shobon:

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Counterpoint: last night I was in a DFB that had (The) George Lucas and Quentin Tarantino in it and they were going all in on the quotes and filmmakers schtick and it was great.

I was in a group that had a person speaking Praetorian Clockwork, so they go a little deeper on that server I think

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

spectralent posted:

Yeah, basically. I'm not sure they do it better, but they certainly do it well enough that you're not going to go "Oh, poo poo, we needed a Poison and all we've got is this Radiation defender!", while being way more useful at other stuff. I mean, I played it on an MM on live and it was fine, but it's also outclassed for most content by every other set.

In a world where some people espouse the values of Trick Arrow, Poison is fine.

It's might not be 100% optimal, but it's a perfectly serviceable set, and excels at end game AV wrecking.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

EponymousMrYar posted:

The overwhelming majority of my characters are high concept nonsense so at the very least I try to keep that spirit alive on Everlasting.

On the whole I've had a positive experience so far with the roleplaying masses, but there have definitely been some less than stellar encounters. Like the player that decided "I'm already playing a Nazi, welp in for a penny, in for a pound" and added overt pedophilia on top. :yikes:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Relentless posted:

In a world where some people espouse the values of Trick Arrow, Poison is fine.

It's might not be 100% optimal, but it's a perfectly serviceable set, and excels at end game AV wrecking.

Trick arrow is decent at most content, though, as opposed to being really good for an uncommon situation and being mediocre everywhere else.

Though, if you like it, that's fine. I stand by the fact you can't make a bad set in CoH and you can totally lean on neurotoxic breath to give you breathing room to spread the love with the basically-single-target powers, but unless you're doing it for concept reasons there's no reason to not just take radiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I just wish Poison had alternate animations. Other sets and powers that do the whole "I'm using my mouth to harm you!" schtick let you swap it out for hand blast-y stuff, but not Poison. :(