Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Personally I think even talking about violence in regard to Gone Home is a mistake as that wasn't what the discourse about that game was at the time of its release at all. There was a huge effort to try and nail down a concrete definition of the term "Game" that boiled down to "games are only the things I like and not that boring game about lesbians". It came from the same kind of people who had tediously tried the same thing with Minecraft for some reason (an effort that failed when MC added an unnecessary final boss and credits scroll because their argument was as complex as "games have endings!").

It was 100% about gatekeeping, every argument about win states, challenging mechanics or insistence that story driven games needed a certain number of puzzles was just window dressing the base problem that a game that did little to appeal to capital G Gamers had gotten a lot of positive buzz. There was zero substance to the entire atgument and it completely ignored a long history of narrative focused games just like Gone Home, from Myst to the entire genre of visual novels and tellingly to the even less mechanically driven Stanley Parable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's kind of funny that if you take away explicit and implicit guidance aside from a single overarching hook like asking them to piece together what happened in a spooky but mundane house capital-g Gamers piss themselves like a teenager who still can't ride their bike without training wheels

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Jim Sterling talks about the winners and losers of E3.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
has anyone else come to feel like the term 'content creator' is dystopic as gently caress

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The first part of the "A Voice From the Dark" crossover audio-drama is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfGlCntLGnE

It's not bad :shrug: I'm at least intrigued enough to see where it's going.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

has anyone else come to feel like the term 'content creator' is dystopic as gently caress

Every time I hear someone openly identify as 'influencer' another little part of me floats off into the aether.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 18, 2019

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mike Rugnetta was pretty open about hating the term back during his Idea Channel days, and I don't think that's changed.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RareAcumen posted:

Also don't use Stardew Valley as the example, use Animal Crossing. If you're going to make games that don't have combat in them as your reference, keep it clean. Bring up Overcooked or something.

My point is it's rather silly to be worried about "pure" examples if it results in completely ignoring context just to score a few extra points in some vague ideological pissing contest. Plus by excluding Stardew on the basis that sometimes you can swing a sword at a slime in babby's first Zelda knock-off isn't that basically playing into the whole nonsensical CoD vs Gone Home dichotomy?

RareAcumen posted:

the fact that everyone besides Gordon, Jack Ryder, Penguin and the Joker is buff enough to be the Batman

You're forgetting that Gordon is loving ripped in the Arkham universe. (At least in Asylum.)

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

My favorite example of leaning into the weird nonviolence fetish in games is MGSV, where you're playing the villain from the first metal gear and any enemies you don't kill can be sent back to your lair to be tortured until they join your paramilitary death cult.

Not to keep harping on about Dishonored in particular, but it really can't be overstated that a "good" playthrough still results in indirect death and misery, and most notably in one case instead of spilling a woman's blood you diplomatically remove her from the situation by handing her off to a creeper that very clearly wants to keep her as a sex object.

While immersive sims are easily one of my favorite game genres, it's still pretty sloppy that most of them boil down the morality of killing to "use the death gun OR use the non-death gun" or you just avoid 90% of the enemies entirely which is often just more efficient anyway. And sometimes they let you talk the villain down. Ends up having that same cheap and stilted morality as movies do, where the hero tears their way through armies of faceless mooks, but when it comes time to judge the villain they spare them because "they're better than that".

Also this once again reminds me that few to no games have ripped off Human Revolution's talk fight mechanics wholesale and that loving sucks.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 17, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Live services" aren't like MMOs, they are MMOs. It's just that they're not exclusively RPGs anymore, they're mostly action games and FPSs.

With that out of the way, I agree that making the Avengers game a superhero MMO is a stupid idea. gently caress your always-online bullshit, shove that roadmap up your rear end, give us a game and not a second job that requires time and effort to get anything out of.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Every time I hear someone openly identify as 'influencer' another little part of me floats off into the ether.

They influence me to drink.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

The first part of the "A Voice From the Dark" crossover audio-drama is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfGlCntLGnE

It's not bad :shrug: I'm at least intrigued enough to see where it's going.

I liked it. I liked it even more with the little light-up cameos because there is so many people to keep track of I would have gotten lost with audio only.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jim considered the guy going "HOLY" at the mic drop for the FF14 Shadowbringer trailer being a "loser" moment, I knew Jim was a hack fraud.

E: Also liking Street Fighter 4 and new Battletoads art styles :gas:

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 17, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

always

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

'creatives' is way worse

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
thinking the devolver conferences are funny is some peak gbs poo poo

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ArfJason posted:

thinking the devolver conferences are funny is some peak gbs poo poo

they're funny, friend.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the people who love the devolver press conferences are the same people who really, vocally loved it when joel mchale hosted the video game awards

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

the people who love the devolver press conferences are the same people who really, vocally loved it when joel mchale hosted the video game awards

nope

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think it's a useful catch-all speaking about the overall sphere of blogs, streams, video production, podcasts and general very online stuff produced for very online people.

Every person who would be under that umbrella hates being called one though so I try not to use the term.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Vice President of Grey Market Distribution got a dark lol from me this year

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
we should all strive to become 'contentment creators' and rid ourselves of the shackles of desire

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

John Murdoch posted:

Not to keep harping on about Dishonored in particular, but it really can't be overstated that a "good" playthrough still results in indirect death and misery, and most notably in one case instead of spilling a woman's blood you diplomatically remove her from the situation by handing her off to a creeper that very clearly wants to keep her as a sex object.

While immersive sims are easily one of my favorite game genres, it's still pretty sloppy that most of them boil down the morality of killing to "use the death gun OR use the non-death gun" or you just avoid 90% of the enemies entirely which is often just more efficient anyway. And sometimes they let you talk the villain down. Ends up having that same cheap and stilted morality as movies do, where the hero tears their way through armies of faceless mooks, but when it comes time to judge the villain they spare them because "they're better than that".

Also this once again reminds me that few to no games have ripped off Human Revolution's talk fight mechanics wholesale and that loving sucks.

yep. thats why i like the bad playthrough and ending because its more honest. dunwall is cesspool and was one gently caress up away from toppling. the nobles are all shown to be cowarldly backstabbing monsters who are fine with partiying up while the city burned. gently caress em, i tore that mansion apart and spared only the servents. the survivors can bend the knee when emily ascends the throne. i also like how the coup unravels better in bad ending because it works better. the good ending is way too clean for dishonoreds universe.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yep. thats why i like the bad playthrough and ending because its more honest. dunwall is cesspool and was one gently caress up away from toppling. the nobles are all shown to be cowarldly backstabbing monsters who are fine with partiying up while the city burned. gently caress em, i tore that mansion apart and spared only the servents. the survivors can bend the knee when emily ascends the throne. i also like how the coup unravels better in bad ending because it works better. the good ending is way too clean for dishonoreds universe.

I felt the same way about the "good ending" of Suikoden II

Like, the worst ending is probably the most narratively satisfying one

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

they're funny, friend.

lovely bugfuck minion shitlord douchecanoe compound curse word xD and wacky zany blood ftw

its absolute garbage and i cant imagine the 2019 one was any better

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
devolver: hey guys what if we make the billionth lame joke about bitcoin and live services

online people who always make a point of saying "Capital G Gamers": *infinite zoom gif of fry giving his money*

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ArfJason posted:

lovely bugfuck minion shitlord douchecanoe compound curse word xD and wacky zany blood ftw

its absolute garbage and i cant imagine the 2019 one was any better

they're good because

quote:

is the sole honest portrayal of the message behind every single e3 press conference.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ArfJason posted:

devolver: hey guys what if we make the billionth lame joke about bitcoin and live services

online people who always make a point of saying "Capital G Gamers": *infinite zoom gif of fry giving his money*

wow such in-your face cynical criticism

almost like the devolver digital of posting

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

carrion looks awesome i wish it was out.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I have just about managed to accept content creator as a description of what I do. It took a long time, but finally I managed to face up to it and accept that it was a thing and that was the way it was going to be.

I will never accept "Influencer", that's just too drat much. I tend to ignore most emails I get that call me an influencer.

This is probably one of the reasons why I don't have any sponsors.

Just call me a video maker, god drat it. "Influencer" makes me sound like James loving Charles. It also sounds almost exactly like Influenza, and I'm not having that.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

Just call me a video maker, god drat it.

this, pretty much

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

I have just about managed to accept content creator as a description of what I do. It took a long time, but finally I managed to face up to it and accept that it was a thing and that was the way it was going to be.

I will never accept "Influencer", that's just too drat much. I tend to ignore most emails I get that call me an influencer.

Just call me a video maker, god drat it. "Influencer" makes me sound like James loving Charles. It also sounds almost exactly like Influenza, and I'm not having that.

I personally consider you a documentarian. Don't youtube convince you that your documentaries are somehow less legitimate because they are free and about video games. You make loving documentaries and thats awesome and hard work and you should take pride in that.

My big issue with "content creator" is that it makes the sum total of human artistic ambition and just sort of generalizes into a grey mush of "fill emptiness in entertainment with content slurry"

Like, "content" is the most generic and soulless way to describe a human being expressing their creativity and the idea we are trying to consign people into taking on the mantle of "content for the content hole" instead of "I am making something artistic as a product" is horrifying

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

Do you get funny solicitations, though? Like people asking you to take pictures with their dog food brand and put them on your instagram?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

Just call me a video maker, god drat it.

What about "videographer?" Sounds fancier.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Declare yourself a vid smith.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

High Chaos requires you to take out your rage on the average guard. The conversation on how cops are trash aside, non or less-than-lethal ways you take care of the conspirators was fine by me since every one of them was mustache-twirling trash in the way the the oligarchs are in today's politics. You save all that horrible fate stuff for those who were directly responsible for the game's story. Just murdering them is too good for them and it's more satisfying bringing them low.

Notice how the low chaos option for the king of the rats, the actual guy who killed the empress, was just sending a message.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Bar Crow posted:

Declare yourself a vid smith.

vidders

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Totally honest aside from the rape dungeon one, all of the Dishonored non-lethal kills are great. You leave the rent-a-cops and civies alone and inflict ironic punishments worse than death on the actual perpetrators. It's way way better the standard "feel free to kill legions of goons, but you must spare their boss the guy actually responsible for this".

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

Totally honest aside from the rape dungeon one, all of the Dishonored non-lethal kills are great. You leave the rent-a-cops and civies alone and inflict ironic punishments worse than death on the actual perpetrators. It's way way better the standard "feel free to kill legions of goons, but you must spare their boss the guy actually responsible for this".

Top-to-bottom revolutions are a power fantasy I can really get behind.

I'm trying to remember if there was anything as gross as the Lady Boyle thing in Dishonored 2. Like, maybe the scientist guy who you lobotomize, but Arkane definitely seemed to have learned something from the backlash to the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Alacron posted:

Top-to-bottom revolutions are a power fantasy I can really get behind.

I'm trying to remember if there was anything as gross as the Lady Boyle thing in Dishonored 2. Like, maybe the scientist guy who you lobotomize, but Arkane definitely seemed to have learned something from the backlash to the first game.

Labotimizing Kirin Jindosh was the worst one in DH2, all the other non-lethal eliminations are pretty tame compared to DH1. You even actually help a few people in the best options, like curing Hypatia and saving Stilton.

Man, A Crack in the Slab really is the best video game level in forever. I wish more people had played it.

Edit: huh, according to the wiki, Lady Boyle murdered the guy who abducted her and took over his estate. Which, yeah, seems the likely outcome when trying to turn a ruthless politico into your slave-bride.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 18, 2019