Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

We live in an incredibly embarrassing cyberpunk novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Hack the toaster.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The next generation of computer viruses is going to be loving hilarious.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

best part is even if you don't connect your tv to your wifi it will connect itself to any open networks in the area to try and send your data back to homebase

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shareef don't like it

Hizawk posted:

Hack the toaster.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I wanna create a TV virus that just flashes goatse on the screen at random intervals

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

best part is even if you don't connect your tv to your wifi it will connect itself to any open networks in the area to try and send your data back to homebase

No the best part is the people in the replies making jokes that the support system genuinely tries to reply to:

https://twitter.com/SamsungSupport/status/1140576207563456512

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
to be fair, a lot of people are fuckin dumb and they've probably gotten that question for real before

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol they deleted the tweet

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Glad to see mercantilism is back in full swing baby.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Shear Modulus posted:

lol they deleted the tweet

What was the tweet?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Outrail posted:

What was the tweet?

Samsung's support team saying "remember to manually run antivirus on your $5000 TV periodically!"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Shame Boy posted:

Samsung's support team saying "remember to manually run antivirus on your $5000 TV periodically!"

'Remember to manually behead the wealthiest 1% of your society periodically, looks like you're 100 years out of date'. Checks out, guillotines as social antivirus hardware.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Shame Boy posted:

They make antivirus software for TVs now? What the gently caress

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
How much for a yearly subscription to Norton Antivirus - Toaster Guard Edition?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

my fridge overheated and spoiled all my food because it got taken over by a bitcoin mining botnet

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1140257766860296192

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:rip: your investment you boomer shits

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

They make antivirus software for TVs now? What the gently caress

~Smart TV's~ are generally just running android or some other linux flavor with some overlay UI, and they're likely never ever patched for security issues past like a year of ownership because why would the TV company give a poo poo, so it only makes sense that they'd put some bullshit not-actually-a-solution antivirus on there too to make you feel better.

When a TV is hit by ransomware though it's generally some generic android ransomware that doesn't realize it's even running on a TV so you get fun results like:

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Shame Boy posted:

When a TV is hit by ransomware though it's generally some generic android ransomware that doesn't realize it's even running on a TV so you get fun results like:

*tilting my head sideways while furiously tapping the "fat stack of cash" icon* Honey?! Get me the checkbook

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/Synapsid/status/1140415739859537920

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
the bathtub through the floor was almost as funny too

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe

Is this a repeat from a few months ago?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
One of the biggest DDoS attacks of recent times that targeted a fairly major google sever was caused by a botnet made of smart lightbulbs.

Basically the future is loving stupid.

https://twitter.com/internetofshit

Also:

Motherfucker has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Jun 17, 2019

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
why would I spend millions of dollars on someone else's "dream home" instead of building my own?

but also lmao at that couples' house, it's hideous. "why don't people want to buy my big ugly house??"

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Shriek Week posted:

Is this a repeat from a few months ago?

Yes, they are just reposting their own content.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cowpocalypse posted:

why would I spend millions of dollars on someone else's "dream home" instead of building my own?

but also lmao at that couples' house, it's hideous. "why don't people want to buy my big ugly house??"

i worked under the table doing some A/V stuff for some boomer dream home construction project

regular people should have no input on home construction

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

That's fine. When they die their kids will sell it at a major loss just to be rid of it.

Or, their kids will become homeowners.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Is this where I get to post again about my in-laws house that has no light switches or TV remotes or anything because you can do it all via voice command? Literally everything is connected to the wifi, including the wall plugs and poo poo, so that you can use voice commands to control it. This also means that there's so much wifi congestion that their connection isn't good enough to video call reliably. And where, after a power cut, my MIL had to call her husband who was away for something because she didn't know how to turn anything in their house back on.

But hey, he can control it from anywhere in the world via an app on his phone

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah that's exactly what happens when you let these rubes have too much input on construction of a home -- they'll build it all around their toys, it will be a total schizophrenic mess, and will be instantly outdated and even more ugly

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

spacetoaster posted:

That's fine. When they die their kids will sell it at a major loss just to be rid of it.

Or, their kids will become homeowners.

the kids will get nothing
boomers aren't quite as screwed by the economy as younger generations, but outside of the top 20% or so of them (as opposed to top 5% or so for younger generations) most of their net worth is from their primary residence and if they have any retirement plans, they're banking on being able to cash out of that overinflated housing market or borrowing against it

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

lancemantis posted:

yeah that's exactly what happens when you let these rubes have too much input on construction of a home -- they'll build it all around their toys, it will be a total schizophrenic mess, and will be instantly outdated and even more ugly

Fortunately they got a good architect to design it so it's a really nice and liveable house, aside from the electrical side of things.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Coolness Averted posted:

the kids will get nothing
boomers aren't quite as screwed by the economy as younger generations, but outside of the top 20% or so of them (as opposed to top 5% or so for younger generations) most of their net worth is from their primary residence and if they have any retirement plans, they're banking on being able to cash out of that overinflated housing market or borrowing against it

The thing is I will never understand a house as an investment. If you're buying a house it's implied that you intend to live there indefinitely, so how can you cash out when you die?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing is I will never understand a house as an investment. If you're buying a house it's implied that you intend to live there indefinitely, so how can you cash out when you die?

You cash out and buy a better house. In fact there are special rules to avoid paying capital gains tax if all your profits go into a new house fairly immediately.

Also leaving a house to sell between your kids isnt bad if its sellable and not a boomer monster/Groverhouse

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

youre also supposed to cash out after the kids move out and you buy a smaller, supposedly cheaper house and keep the leftover money but it seems many old homeowners arent selling when their kids move out

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You're supposed to do whatever generates the most realtor fees.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bombadilillo posted:

You cash out and buy a better house. In fact there are special rules to avoid paying capital gains tax if all your profits go into a new house fairly immediately.

Also leaving a house to sell between your kids isnt bad if its sellable and not a boomer monster/Groverhouse

Yeah, my parents definitely got a bigger house, especially since they just fill anything that they don't watch TV in or sleep in with junk. Their recent remodel is especially egregious as it makes no sense in a functional capacity, especially since they have mobility issues and still have to use a stair lift to get up stairs to the night sleeping room.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, my parents definitely got a bigger house, especially since they just fill anything that they don't watch TV in or sleep in with junk. Their recent remodel is especially egregious as it makes no sense in a functional capacity, especially since they have mobility issues and still have to use a stair lift to get up stairs to the night sleeping room.

capitalism's installation of a constant anxious need to acquire more is a crime against humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

bike tory posted:

Is this where I get to post again about my in-laws house that has no light switches or TV remotes or anything because you can do it all via voice command? Literally everything is connected to the wifi, including the wall plugs and poo poo, so that you can use voice commands to control it. This also means that there's so much wifi congestion that their connection isn't good enough to video call reliably. And where, after a power cut, my MIL had to call her husband who was away for something because she didn't know how to turn anything in their house back on.

But hey, he can control it from anywhere in the world via an app on his phone

what the gently caress? they pissed the future the jetsons promised never materialized and they tried to grab as much of that promise as they could? poo poo breaks my brain.

i got angry when my spouse bought an Alexa to turn on the living room light, which was a lamp, next to the couch we both sat on.

at least itd play the Soviet anthem when I asked it to. It refused my request to play the internationale though, repeatedly