Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Would it have been better or worse had they revealed this tidbit of news alongside the reveal of Sword and Shield back in February?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why the gently caress are people continuing to lecture this thread about sending devs death threats and poo poo. Nobody here is doing that, christ.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Internet Kraken posted:

Why the gently caress are people continuing to lecture this thread about sending devs death threats and poo poo. Nobody here is doing that, christ.

Only person I saw even mention that in the last couple pages was... me, and I specifically said it wasn't directed at anyone in the thread. :colbert:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the important thing is that this has given us the five minute pokemon modeling meme

https://twitter.com/deb_lal_/status/1139979096073658370

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
this is such a loving gamefreak thing

I really wish he'd clarify what they mean by "balancing' given they've changed maybe 4 movesets since gen 4, or maybe show the difference between an XY model & a new model if they're determined to re-do them.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

"Regarding whether Pokemon may be added in future updates, this is currently uncertain. However, even if not in Pokemon Sword & Shield, Game Freak plans on making those Pokemon shine in future titles going forward, via Pokemon Home. They do not want the players’ past Pokemon to feel worthless."

This is the last thing I needed to hear to be fully on board. I wish they had said this earlier, but I now honestly have no complaints.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Internet Kraken posted:

Except the one a few pages back that said that the devs being thrown off the top of a building was too good for them, thankfully they spared us their Gamefreak torture fantasy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

While 5 more months of discussion sounds awful, so long as you guys don't vote the thread 1, I don't really care, best to get it all out of your systems so we can forget about it when the next new batch of mons get revealed.

It sucks, but I understand why they chose to do it. If they can show culling around 400 Pokemon was worth it to make the game massive with a million things to do like before, then that's cool, but they need to find ways of not doing this in future, even if it means making games more spaced out.

im gonna vote it 1 just because it matters to you

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Making video games is difficult and expensive. But they've said it's not forever, so that's closure enough for me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

According to Ohmori, even in Pokemon Sun & Moon, bringing in every Pokemon was something barely manageable, and with Pokemon Sword & Shield and the need to redo models, and so they had to make a decision.

so what the gently caress was the point of them making models all the way back with X/Y that were too detailed to even be put in the game without being downscaled? People assumed they were future-proofing, but apparently they're redoing all the models *again* anyways. And even if those models are below the graphical quality of the new ones, why not just reuuse them for the Pokemon that won't appear in the maingame? It'd be better to have them look a bit worse than not have them be there at all.

This just reeks of poor planning.

Bongo Bill posted:

Making video games is difficult and expensive. But they've said it's not forever, so that's closure enough for me.

Given Pokemon is one of the most profitable franchises I really think we should be holding them to a higher standard than this.

It'd be one thing if SS looked amazing but it doesn't. I'm not buying them needing to sacrifice Pokemon for graphics when wingulls are aggressively t-posing towards you.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blaziken386 posted:

this is such a loving gamefreak thing

I really wish he'd clarify what they mean by "balancing' given they've changed maybe 4 movesets since gen 4, or maybe show the difference between an XY model & a new model if they're determined to re-do them.

There was a nearly eternal conversation on Smogon about Gothitelle with Shadow Tag, and parts of the competitive scene seem to explode every time TPC allows a Legendary in your party at tournaments. There's probably a ton of internal discussion about game balance, and I think now is probably the best time to start the game equivalent of the TCG seasonal rotation.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Takoluka posted:

There was a nearly eternal conversation on Smogon about Gothitelle with Shadow Tag, and parts of the competitive scene seem to explode every time TPC allows a Legendary in your party at tournaments. There's probably a ton of internal discussion about game balance, and I think now is probably the best time to start the game equivalent of the TCG seasonal rotation.
they already did that back in gen 6 with "only pokemon with the kalos sticker on their name are allowed in"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gamefreak talking about balance is always the biggest joke imaginable.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blaziken386 posted:

they already did that back in gen 6 with "only pokemon with the kalos sticker on their name are allowed in"

well, they're doing it again, and you're dropping $60

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Blaziken386 posted:

Yeah. Every tournament can already set what pokemon can and cannot enter; the presence of a pokemon in the game itself has no bearing on that.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Internet Kraken posted:

so what the gently caress was the point of them making models all the way back with X/Y that were too detailed to even be put in the game without being downscaled? People assumed they were future-proofing, but apparently they're redoing all the models *again* anyways. And even if those models are below the graphical quality of the new ones, why not just reuuse them for the Pokemon that won't appear in the maingame? It'd be better to have them look a bit worse than not have them be there at all.

This just reeks of poor planning.

Future-proofing is tricky because no one has any idea where technology will go. Back in 2012-2013, Game Freak probably figured that Nintendo would have a Wii U successor and a 3DS successor but didn't anticipate that they would both be succeeded by the same system. I'm not a programmer or a graphic designer, but I'm guessing that re-using the 3DS models wouldn't look right on a console, and people are already complaining that the graphics look bad anyway. They look fine by 3DS standards but poor by Switch standards.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Zuzie posted:

Future-proofing is tricky because no one has any idea where technology will go. Game Freak probably figured that Nintendo would have a Wii U successor and a 3DS successor but didn't anticipate that they would both be succeeded by the same system. I'm not a programmer or a graphic designer, but I'm guessing that re-using the 3DS models wouldn't look right on a console, and people are already complaining that the graphics look bad anyway. They look fine by 3DS standards but poor by Switch standards.

They had to assume that the 3DS successor, even if it was a dedicated handheld, would have HD graphics.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We'll each have to come to terms with this disappointment in our own ways.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You still have to make new models, and adjust old models, and do a ton of other things. It's not a matter of copy pasting an existing resource into a new engine and calling it a day. You can plan for every possible eventuality and still have a ton of work to do.

The fact people keep saying stuff like this and harping on things like the tree model or the use of pre-existing animations show none of them have any real knowledge of how game development works. Even what people are saying about balance shows the narrow scope and lack of understanding; what Pokemon show up where, who gets what new moves, what new TMs to include, and move tutors can have a huge influence on not just the meta game, but also the balance of an in-game journey. That still comes with the prerequisite of a massive amount of thought being put into it, even if it doesn't add up much to evening things out in our end - and even then, each generation has come with massive influence on the meta-game, from the change in just how weather dominates from Gen 5 to 6, so you can't say GF hasn't done it whatsoever. Just because Landorus-T doesn't want to go away doesn't mean there haven't been massive changes across multiple tiers.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So it looks like each new game will have a different list of "banned" Pokemon, kinda like a new season of a card game.

EDIT:

Internet Kraken posted:

Not here they aren't, but don't underestimate the depravity of crazed fans.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nodosaur posted:

You still have to make new models, and adjust old models, and do a ton of other things. It's not a matter of copy pasting an existing resource into a new engine and calling it a day. You can plan for every possible eventuality and still have a ton of work to do.

Hire contractors

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Hire contractors

Whoa now, are you suggesting that a multibillion dollar corporation actually hire more employees to help with one of their biggest games???

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Even if throwing more workers at the game was a solution for this, that ship has sailed. They probably wouldn't be able to meet the November release date at this point if they decided to put every Pokemon in the game.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hire contractors

You're missing the point. None of these things are bandaids, whether it's "they should have planned" or "they should do this instead". This is still a massive amount of work no other series in this game's genre has to deal with; hell, it's ridiculously uncommon for video games as a whole.

The only reason this is seen as something that would take a minimal effort or something that you can just throw money or personnel at and everything will be fine is because people have pushed this asinine rhetoric that GF is uncommonly lazy or incompetent that's existed since Gen 1; which ignores the fact that all those "glitches" and problems were the result of necessary and intentional shortcuts made to get what was at the time a huge and insanely complicated game running to begin with. And it comes up again and again with the issue of "dropped features" and reused elements which, frankly, every franchise has had to endure (because in the end those features were superfluous). Let's not even go into how there was a demand on visuals and 3D effects in the 3DS era, despite the 3DS (as much as I love it) being a very complicated system to develop for even for the company that made the drat thing.

But this persists because everyone has in their head that their demands are easy because "technology has improved". When technology "improves", you don't necessarily get everything bigger and better. You lose things. As much as Breath of the Wild flipped the script on what Zelda is, it took a hit on enemy variety and other systems that people had come to take for granted. Sometimes, you run into a point where, even for something that's been treated like a selling point before, your franchise is bursting at the seams and you have no choice but to make different choices.

There are going to be 1000 of these drat things. 1000 playable characters. In a genre - nay, an [i]industry[i] - where exceeding 50 is considered unusual. I don't understand why appreciation of this fact is so hard for people to grasp.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Internet Kraken posted:

Whoa now, are you suggesting that a multibillion dollar corporation actually hire more employees to help with one of their biggest games???

Maybe. If they are sticking to design spec and using similar animations just with different shaders and higher resolution textures, that's kind of monotonous repetitive work you should be able to farm out to a firm.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nodosaur posted:

You're missing the point. None of these things are bandaids, whether it's "they should have planned" or "they should do this instead". This is still a massive amount of work no other series in this game's genre has to deal with; hell, it's ridiculously uncommon for video games as a whole.

Actually "hire contractors" is a very good solution for a massive amount of work

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

RatHat posted:

So it looks like each new game will have a different list of "banned" Pokemon, kinda like a new season of a card game.

Yeah this seems 100% fine to me. Home may keep Stantler hostage for a couple of games, but one day he will taste freedom...

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nodosaur posted:

no other series in this game's genre

no other series in this game's genre is nearly as popular or makes nearly as much revenue. this is the biggest one, in a class of its own, among all media franchises in the world. I don't get trying to compare this to digimon over and over like that's a legitimate critique of people's expectations (which Game Freak recently said they appreciated and wanted to honor with Home)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean the interview also mentions that they’re not putting in every Pokemon because of balance or making the new guys feel unique. It sounds a bit like an excuse to me but no amount of contractors or extra workers are going to help if they don’t want every Pokemon to be in the game, and it seems like the don’t.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

no amount of contractors or extra workers are going to help if they don’t want every Pokemon to be in the game, and it seems like the don’t.

this is the feeling I get too. they could totally do it if they wanted, but they don't want to, just like they don't want to include mega evos or z-crystals. it seems like they're just going through the motions by putting out a game at all (which may totally be the case if Nintendo is pressuring them)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SyntheticPolygon posted:

making the new guys feel unique.

the only new mon that's unique so far is Impidimp

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

indigi posted:

no other series in this game's genre is nearly as popular or makes nearly as much revenue. this is the biggest one, in a class of its own, among all media franchises in the world. I don't get trying to compare this to digimon over and over like that's a legitimate critique of people's expectations (which Game Freak recently said they appreciated and wanted to honor with Home)

Because money isn't a bandaid. Popularity and funding doesn't change the laws of physics or work hours. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not this imbalances the in game quest with excess of options.

The thing about expectations and comparisons to other franchises is that we blew past the "standard" for "less popular works" a long time ago. Now we're several times past that mark. This doesn't strike you as highly unusual??? Or at least enormously, monolithicly strange?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Some of this flak could be somewhat avoided if they explain / further reveal exactly just how much you can do with Pokemon in Pokemon Home. So if they want to switch to regional only dexes that rotate while home acts a hub where you can still do stuff and store all of them then yeah go for it. Does this also mean that the non-new pokemon that do make it to Galar will NOT be in the next game to let those skipped show up? Will Charizard be in every loving game forever?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Actually the number of workers DOES change the number of work hours.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Some of this flak could be somewhat avoided if they explain / further reveal exactly just how much you can do with Pokemon in Pokemon Home. So if they want to switch to regional only dexes that rotate while home acts a hub where you can still do stuff and store all of them then yeah go for it. Does this also mean that the non-new pokemon that do make it to Galar will NOT be in the next game to let those skipped show up? Will Charizard be in every loving game forever?

Home is still in development. They're not going to break the cycle of reveals and news promotion just to quiet some backlash. I don't really see why they should be expected to; no company talks about all the features of their product immediately.

Actually the number of workers DOES change the number of work hours.

There's still just as many of them, they just overlap. And even then, does that fit their budget? Who controls their budget, GF, or TPC, the publisher? Does this fit their company culture? Lots of companies with contractors and large numbers of employees push themselves towards crunch. Is that a priority to either of the people involved? Hey, what do you know, I just introduced a bunch more variables.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 17, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nodosaur posted:

Home is still in development. They're not going to break the cycle of reveals and news promotion just to quiet some backlash. I don't really see why they should be expected to; no company talks about all the features of their product immediately.

Right I’m not saying they should. I just feel like knowing more about Home could have softened the blow.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I kinda think that all of this discussion is academic until we can actually play the game. Right now we're guessing based mostly on our own prejudices and emotions. The game is being rushed, they're dumb, they're telling the truth, etc, are all possibilities. But when we get the game in our hands and can actually experience it we can start making some more informed guesses. Like, maybe the game really will be better balanced than previous entries. Maybe there'll be something that was clearly supposed to be in the game but isn't and you can tell from vestigial traces of it. Maybe it'll be just like all previous Pokemon games. But until we play it, we can't know.

So I suggest that we table all discussion of this topic until November 15th, and spend the next five months arguing about which bird Pokemon is the best

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nodosaur posted:

Because money isn't a bandaid. Popularity and funding doesn't change the laws of physics or work hours. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not this imbalances the in game quest with excess of options.

The thing about expectations and comparisons to other franchises is that we blew past the "standard" for "less popular works" a long time ago. Now we're several times past that mark. This doesn't strike you as highly unusual??? Or at least enormously, monolithicly strange?

You hire more workers to make the models. This is not loving rocket science and anyone could of planned this years ago if they wanted to. Despite your loud insistence that nobody understands game development other than you, you're choosing to ignore common sense in favor of defending the multibillion dollar corporation that is well-known for cutting corners in the past and making asinine decisions.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

it totally does, but that's why it's nearly as strange that they're yanking out three big features/mechanics all at once during the transition to a new platform. it's figuratively whiplash inducing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nodosaur posted:

There's still just as many of them, they just overlap. And even then, does that fit their budget? Who controls their budget, GF, or TPC, the publisher? Does this fit their company culture? Lots of companies with contractors and large numbers of employees push themselves towards crunch. Is that a priority to either of the people involved? Hey, what do you know, I just introduced a bunch more variables.

Hiring contractors is in fact exactly what Nintendo claims to do to AVOID crunch, according to Reggie Fils-Aime