Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
let's fish for more clues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Fish

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[84] Interview - Fisherman

You spot the fisherman knee-deep in a beautiful clear river. When you get closer he greets you and asks, "What are you fishing for?"
"Information," you tell him. "But I'm just trying to catch a thief, not a fish."
"Yes, I saw this man," the fisherman says after looking at a picture you hand him. "He was creating a disturbance and scaring the fish, so I chased him away."

"Did he say where he was going?" you ask.
"Well, he did mumble something about south of the equator," the fisherman answers.
Hmm, time to go back to the airport. [42]

Where next?

Should we talk to:

• The skier? [7]
• The Maori warrior?
• The fisherman?

Or are we ready to travel to:
• The United States? [168]
• The Soviet Union? [23]
• Argentina? [142]

Score: 29 • Case: Torch • Warrant: Chuck Roast • Destination: south of the equator; has at least one horse, of course, of course

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Argentina, its time to go.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Don't cry for me, Argentina

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
To Argentina, the country I somehow misread as Afghanistan.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Argentina

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[142] Argentina

Your plane lands in Buenos Aires, Argentina. You read that Buenos Aires was founded in 1536 and stands on the banks of the river Plate. It's a center of learning, with several universities and an opera house of its own. It's also the home of the world's largest Spanish-language publisher. You wish you could speak Spanish right now.
The local agent arrives with a list for you. Thankfully, it's in English!

"I've been very thorough in checking," the agent tells you. "There are three people who have seen the person you are after. And there's no sign that he's left the country yet."
"Then I'd better act fast," you answer, studying his list.

Do you feel like our lead is:

• The book publisher? [156]
• The bank teller? [69]
• The university professor? [149]

Score: 30 • Case: Torch • Warrant: Chuck Roast • Destination: here somewhere!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The bank teller. The reason why is in its name!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Go to the book publisher!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
University Professor

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Bank Teller!

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The Teller will tell!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[69] Interrogation - Bank Teller

You arrive at the bank and spot the teller you're looking for. You decide it's time to make a quick withdrawal. When the teller reaches for your withdrawal slip you handcuff him to the window bars.
"Okay," you say to the teller, "tell me what you know."

"Someone hired me to stop you, but you didn't even give me a chance," he says with a miserable whine, as the police arrive to arrest him.
Clearly, you're getting close. You head back to the airport, [142] to try another informant.

Where next?

Do you feel like our lead is:

• The book publisher? [156]
• The bank teller?
• The university professor? [149]

Score: 32 • Case: Torch • Warrant: Chuck Roast • Destination: here somewhere!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Uni Pro

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Clearly the thief stole the torch and plans to write a book about it. Talk to the publisher.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Publisher.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[156] Interrogation - Book Publisher

The publishing house is a big, empty building. Fortunately, the only person you see is the man you're looking for. When he sees you, he tries to topple a pile of boxes filled with books onto you. You jump out of the way just in time to avoid being pressed flat. The V.I.L.E. henchman tries to run, but you pick up one of the fallen books and hit him over the head with it. He collapses.

While you wait for the police to arrive, you search through his pockets. You find a little black book. Inside it are written the names and addresses of all possible suspects in this case! The break you've been waiting for!
The police arrive and take away the unconscious man. You go back to examining your list. Should we arrest:

• 'Auntie' Bellum? [134]
• Justin Case? (in jail)
• Ernest Endeavor? [55]
• Clare d'Loon? (in jail)
• Kari Meback? [167]
• Chuck Roast? [103]
• Luke Warmwater? [72]

• or Carmen Sandiego? [31]

We've already got an arrest warrant for Chuck Roast. Are we 110% sure he did it?

Score: 33 • Case: Torch • Warrant: Chuck Roast • Destination: here somewhere!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
We're sure it's Chuck.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Chuck

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

idhrendur posted:

Get the warrant.

rujasu posted:

get a warrant for Roast

achtungnight posted:

That Inuit was the most helpful witness so far- he pointed us right at Chuck Roast as the crook we're after (he's the only male with brown hair). Thanks buddy!

Junpei posted:

We're sure it's Chuck.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

[103] Arrest - Chuck Roast

You arrive at one of the famous meat-packing ranches of Argentina. Just as you expected, you find Chuck Roast here, watching them prepare the cattle.
You sneak up behind him and slip handcuffs on him. He almost has a heart attack when he realizes he's been caught.

"I'm looking for the torch of the State of Liberty. Care to throw a light on the mystery?"
"All right." He sighs. "I'll give it back."

The police take Chuck away. You collect the torch and give the Chief a call.
"I've caught Chuck Roast," you say, "and I'm sending the torch to New York City by special police."
"Great work," says the Chief. "Now add up those travel points and head for the scorechart at the back of the book to see if you've earned your promotion!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Total Score: 34

At this rate, forget a CD player; we're scaling up closer towards being able to afford a package of educational software from Broderbund!

Carmen and Co. back under wraps? Well, not quite. There's been one more theft - on a grand scale, this time - for us to investigate. It may be the hardest case of this book our whole career! Our final case awaits:

Case 4: The Not-So-Great Heist of the Great Wall of China

To Be Continued...

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Now we're at the point where Carmen ups her game. She's not just stealing the statue, she's stealing /The Great Wall of China/. How exactly this works.. Does not matter.

ACME Agents, we're on the case!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I bet David Copperfield is somehow involved in this heist!

Good to know we caught Chuck Roast. I didn't eat 75 bowls of Corn Flakes just for someone to steal the old torch.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bonus Content: The Other Interviews, Case 3

We all wonder about the road not taken, so here's the details of what you'd have found down those roads.

quote:

[148] Interview - Pretzel Seller (USA)

The pretzel seller has a stall on Fifth Avenue, one of the busiest streets in all of New York City. He sells huge pretzels that are over six inches wide, and piping hot. It's lunchtime, and busy office workers line up at his cart to buy pretzels. You ask the seller about the man you're after.
"Yes, I've seen this man," he tells you. "He stopped by to stock up on pretzels. He told me that where he's going they eat a lot of fish, and he never touches the stuff."

You thank him and hurry back to the airport. [74]

[143] Interview - Fisherman (Greenland)

The fisherman doesn't seem to be having any luck, but you hope you'll do better. Maybe he can help you catch something — like the thief you're after!
"Yes, I've seen this man. His hair is brown."

"Any idea where he's heading?" you ask.
"Well, he mentioned something about buying dates," the fisherman answers. Right then, he gets a bite on his line. Leaving him to reel in his fish, you head back to the airport [68] real fast.

[7] Interview - Skier (New Zealand)

New Zealand has lots of high mountains, so it's a great place for skiing. You find the skier you want, and she smiles when you ask her about the man you're after.
"Yes, I remember him." She laughs. "He was really silly. He kept talking to me in Spanish. Oh, and yes, he told me he was a uranium prospector. He didn't look like one, though."

Those could be the clues you're after. Time to go back to Canberra and check. [42]

Canberra?! That's in Australia, mate! We reached this node from Wellington, New Zealand.

[149] Interrogation - University Professor (Argentina)

When you arrive at the university, there's a professor waiting for you.
"I'll teach you to mind your own business!" she yells, and tries to push you out the classroom window. You sidestep quickly, trip her, but manage to grab her before she falls over the edge.

"Pig!" she yells. "You'll learn nothing from me!" You realize she's not a professor at all, but a V.I.L.E. henchman.
The police arrive and take her away. You head back to the airport. [142] You must be really hot on the trail!
We would like to remind you that V.I.L.E. is an equal opportunity employer.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 17, 2019

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Case 4: The Not-So-Great Heist of the Great Wall of China

Background: The Great Wall of China was begun in the 3rd century BC, and was not finished until the 17th century AD. It was designed to protect the frontier of China and it stretches from the Yellow Sea to central Asia and stands 25 feet high. 40 foot towers were built every 200 yards. It is 12 feet wide on top, so that horses could ride along it.

To investigate this crime: Go to [27].

Yep. Moving in to the realm of impossible thefts this time, Carmen and Co. have somehow made off with the Great Wall of China in its entirety. Sadly, this is a whodunnit, not a howdunnit, or the construction and special effects industries would have a few questions for V.I.L.E.!

Contrary to popular belief, the Great Wall of China is not visible from space, as another LP recently made a point of noting. (search the linked post for the fourth "gently caress that".)

[27] China (Scene of the Crime)

As you get off the plane in Beijing, you remember that this capital of China was once known as Peking. In fact, Beijing is a number of cities. There's the Outer City, built during the famous Ming Dynasty of the sixteenth century. North of this is the older Inner City, a square with almost fifteen miles of walls around it. Inside this is the Imperial City, and right in the middle of this is the Forbidden City, which contains all of the imperial palaces and was once forbidden to any commoner. Nowadays, though, the Forbidden City is a museum open to all.
This case seems to have a lot of walls around it! Suddenly, a young woman from the Acme office here approaches you and bows. You bow back politely.

"Welcome to China," she says and offers you a sheet of rice paper. On it, in a beautiful, neat script, you read the following:
Three informants have been found. Do we wish to talk to:

• The museum guard? [32]
• The tea picker and packer? [81]
• The chess player? [107]

The suspect may have gone to:

• The United States? [63]
• Saudi Arabia? [135]
• Puerto Rico? [12]

Score: 1 • Case: Great Wall • Suspect: ? • Destination: ?

The biggest case of our career — or at least the biggest piece of stolen property the world has ever seen! Can we crack this case and capture Carmen and her cronies? Or are we doomed to end up at the rank of 'Shoe Salesman'?

Only one way to find out! Good luck, Acme detectives!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Museum guard

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Chess player probably knows what's going on around the world. They usually do.

As an aside, while those images for the North Dakota Carmen Sandiego work just fine, it's very much the sort of thing that's incomprehensible to someone who isn't from North Dakota. I solved a case, but that was largely through luck, since the threshold for what's well-known is far, far lower for something so specific.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Would that be western chess or Xiangqi... :thunk:

Chess player

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Guards are well known for being sharp eyed

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chess is best.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tea picker!

Man, China... I've been reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms and learning a lot about its early (well, kinda) history, which is cool. If you can get the translation by Moss Roberts you're in for a treat.

Also, this is the final case? I somehow assumed we'd be using all of the suspect cards!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Chess player. Bonus points if we can challenge him and win (yeah, I know we probably don’t have time anyway).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Chess

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also, this is the final case? I somehow assumed we'd be using all of the suspect cards!

Alas, there are only four cases in the book - and this is the last one! Guess some of Carmen's cohorts are busy putting on a musical number of "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

[107] Interview - Chess Player

You find the chess player waiting for a game. You move your first piece as you sit down. Smiling, the chess player continues the game with you.
"I hear that you saw this woman," you ask, showing him a picture.

"Yes," he agrees. "We played a game together. She was very good, too. She beat me quite quickly. I think you'll have to be as good to find her. Did you know that chess was invented in India in the sixth century and is now played all over the world?"
"Yes," you tell him. "I carry a portable set with me wherever I go. In fact, checkmate."

The player examines the board with astonishment. "Why, you are as good as the woman you seek."
"I try to be," you say, modestly. "Any idea where she might be?"
"I only know that she gave me a generous tip of twenty American dollars."

You take the hint and match the tip. So she was carrying dollars? You head back to the airport. [27]

Where next?

Do we wish to talk to:

• The museum guard? [32]
• The tea picker and packer? [81]
• The chess player?

The suspect may have gone to:

• The United States? [63]
• Saudi Arabia? [135]
• Puerto Rico? [12]

Score: 3 • Case: Great Wall • Suspect: Female • Destination: uses US Dollars

Quackles fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 18, 2019

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This post has been amalgamated with the previous post.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 18, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Did we just fool's mate that guy?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tea picker!

...Also since it's the final case there's no way it's not Carmen. I'll wait for one more clue, but like, c'mon. It's her.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Museum guard

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tea picker!

Man, China... I've been reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms and learning a lot about its early (well, kinda) history, which is cool. If you can get the translation by Moss Roberts you're in for a treat.

Can I interest you in this... "interesting" translation of RoTK that has replaced the names with "Westernised" names?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

All righty, let's take a look at this...

quote:

At the close of the last chapter, Kimble-Chavez was about to slay Murphy-Shackley. But Kimble-Chavez reflected, "I joined him to do righteous things. Now if I killed him, I would only do unrighteousness and the people would condemn me. I rather leave in silence." Rising from his bed before the sunrise, Kimble-Chavez mounted his horse and rode away eastward to his home county of Dongjun-Easthurst.

I cannot take this seriously. :crossarms: