Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What is a kenku name for a guy slated to be buried with a pharaoh to guide him into the afterlife

I'm thinking [sound of stone grinding against stone like a sarcophagus shutting], but not sure what people without mimicry call him
How does he feel about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What is a kenku name for a guy slated to be buried with a pharaoh to guide him into the afterlife

I'm thinking [sound of stone grinding against stone like a sarcophagus shutting], but not sure what people without mimicry call him

Rumble Slabslam. Bonus points if you get to confuse people into thinking you’re a dwarf at first.

Real answer: Mastabas.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Splicer posted:

How does he feel about this?

Like a big drat deal. The patron is actually just a really rich guy and I said "pharaoh" to be quick in characterizing it, but said rich guy is gonna fall out of everyone's graces pretty quickly and that's why our would-be grave bird becomes a rootless adventurer instead. But he believes in the gods and the basic cosmology like anyone else, so it's not a terrifying ordeal but a great honor.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Like a big drat deal. The patron is actually just a really rich guy and I said "pharaoh" to be quick in characterizing it, but said rich guy is gonna fall out of everyone's graces pretty quickly and that's why our would-be grave bird becomes a rootless adventurer instead. But he believes in the gods and the basic cosmology like anyone else, so it's not a terrifying ordeal but a great honor.

I don't know if you're interested, but the Magic: The Gathering - Plane Shift Amonkhet 5e supplement might interest you, since it sounds like there's a fair number of parallels.

https://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/plane-shift_amonkhet.pdf

One idea I liked that they had was to use MTG cards as a basis for character concepts. So for example taking a look at a list of Amonkhet creature cards and finding fun archetypes to build off of, for example "Aven Initiate" or "Oketra's Attendant".

https://www.cardkingdom.com/catalog...d_select%5D=any

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm just a player, not the DM. Our DM doesn't like Magic at all, so I'm iffy about poisoning the whole Egypt world thing to him with Amonkhet.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

And Amonkhet was also a place in MTG that had a LOT of major plot stuff tied up in it. It's not just Egyptland, it's Egyptland after a jerkass dragon turned it into a giant eugenics program to make super terminator zombies to steal magic souls.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Omnicrom posted:

And Amonkhet was also a place in MTG that had a LOT of major plot stuff tied up in it. It's not just Egyptland, it's Egyptland after a jerkass dragon turned it into a giant eugenics program to make super terminator zombies to steal magic souls.

Yeah but all you have to do to make the story ready to import is subtract Bolas and make the afterlife genuine.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Yeah but all you have to do to make the story ready to import is replace Bolas with Bo'laz, a pharaoh that managed to become a lich lord.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Most of the MtG lore would make good fodder for a Spelljammer or Slider-esque campaign. Lots of good art to show as well.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

MtG is canon in the D&D multiverse I believe, so I'm kind of curious whether they keep that in mind when charting out the lore.

Also, speaking of, I'm building up to a reveal where the party gets a spelljammer further down the line. Does each universe typically have other inhabitable planets in most settings, or is it just like, you're in one solar system and anything beyond that is another universe?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Incidentally, Ranger starting gear is garbage. No shield option, no rapier, no replacement to the longbow if you're a small race unless you want to pick simple weapons in place of the shortswords. No component pouch even though you learn magic on the following level. Surely they have life hard enough.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

change my name posted:

MtG is canon in the D&D multiverse I believe, so I'm kind of curious whether they keep that in mind when charting out the lore.

Also, speaking of, I'm building up to a reveal where the party gets a spelljammer further down the line. Does each universe typically have other inhabitable planets in most settings, or is it just like, you're in one solar system and anything beyond that is another universe?
Depends on your settings cosmetology. A generic fantasy planet is probably a planet, and other planets on the solar system or other solar systems are habitable.

If your realm is in a giant glass sphere, or a flat plane, or riding on the back of a turtle...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

change my name posted:

It depends, several of Toril's system's planets are habitable and some are also weird. For example the one farthest from the Realmspace sun is called H'Catha a wheel shaped planet ruled by Beholders with Orc slaves.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey all, I'm a relative D&D newbie -- played some 3.5 like 15 years ago and then relatively recently joined a group of other mostly-newbies in a friend's campaign. I'm playing wizard, and could use some advice on my spell picks because I have chosen some stinkers. I mean, I don't think my character is bad necessarily, but he could be better. My goal was to make a "gently caress with the bad guys" caster, who helps everyone else do their jobs better moreso than deals direct damage themselves. Unfortunately 5e makes that sufficiently not-straightforward, especially early on when we're fighting miscellaneous animals and zombies, that newbie me wasn't really able to figure out how to accomplish that. I took Charm Person and Disguise Self at L1 and we've yet to meet an NPC we would want to manipulate rather than either talk to as an ally or kill. :shrug:

Half-elf Wizard 6 (school of illusion), stats 8/10/14/18/14/14. Current spells before my levelup picks:
  • Acid Splash, Light, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Toll the Dead
  • Bewitch, Charm Person, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Disguise Self, Find Familiar, Grease, Magic Missile, Shield, Silent Image, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Thunderwave
  • Blindness/Deafness, Flaming Sphere, Mirror Image, Phantasmal Force
  • Fireball, Fly, Galder's Tower

The spells I'm looking hard at right now are Web, Misty Step, Hypnotic Pattern, and Slow. Basically, a bunch of mass-disable spells and a panic button for if I end up staring a monster in the face. I do have a bit of a problem on the damage front in that my only useful damage spells are fire (easily resisted), Magic Missile, or necrotic (useless against the many undead we face). But again, I'd rather be disabling enemies and letting my buddies beat on them than I would be directly killing them myself. Unless there's a chance to use Fireball.

Party composition is monk (thinks they're a tank, keeps charging into the frontlines and nearly dying), rogue (Arcane Trickster, rolls all the dice), bard (casts Shatter followed by Vicious Mockery, rarely stabs things), cleric (by far our MVP), and me. I'm usually able to avoid drawing too much attention, which explains why e.g. I have Shield as a panic button, instead of Mage Armor.

The DM's a bit sympathetic to my spell plight, so if you want to suggest other spells I should try to research during downtime, I'm all ears.

Look into Suggestion as well, it completely incapacitates a target if they fail one save. That's generally what you want to focus on as a control wizard. Hypnotic Pattern and Fear are good, fireball is overrated with Mike Mearls' vile lust for HP inflation, and if you really want to do damage stop loving around with bad spells and grab animate dead.* You also want the ability to hit as many saves as possible, so grab int and cha spells even if they aren't outright save or dies.

How creative are you at arguing with your dm over the image spells?

*Seriously, monster hp are all over the place. Looking up math for average hp per cr indicates that cr 2 monsters have 49.11 on average (https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/2nn6ld/the_monster_quick_stats_by_cr_table/) and a fireball does 28 on average. You can waste a turn on fireball and still have all the monsters trash the monk, or cast hypnotic pattern and reduce incoming damage.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Everything TheGreatEvilKing said is correct but also any wizard who was looking at Misty Step, Web, Hypnotic Pattern, and Slow is already doing it right. Feel comfortable with your choices because you're doing it right.

I will say though that Web is an all-star or an utter disaster depending on how smart your team is, and it might just get your Monk killed. It's one of the very best things you can do with a level 2 slot in the game, but it can't make him say "I think I will stay outside the web for this turn and take a dodge action."

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

ooh, that'll do it too

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Look into Suggestion as well, it completely incapacitates a target if they fail one save. That's generally what you want to focus on as a control wizard. Hypnotic Pattern and Fear are good, fireball is overrated with Mike Mearls' vile lust for HP inflation, and if you really want to do damage stop loving around with bad spells and grab animate dead.* You also want the ability to hit as many saves as possible, so grab int and cha spells even if they aren't outright save or dies.
Suggestion looks really nice and I definitely want it, but I don't think it beats out my other options at this point.

quote:

How creative are you at arguing with your dm over the image spells?
Awful, and the DM is also very rigid in interpretation of the rules. He doesn't like making judgement calls. We've talked about this a few times, but I don't really want to get into rules fights so it's easier to just stick to spells that have clear game-mechanic effects. If I ever get the School of Illusion capstone, then illusions will become a lot more useful as they'll be real (at least in part), but that's a long ways in the future, if ever.

quote:

*Seriously, monster hp are all over the place. Looking up math for average hp per cr indicates that cr 2 monsters have 49.11 on average (https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/2nn6ld/the_monster_quick_stats_by_cr_table/) and a fireball does 28 on average. You can waste a turn on fireball and still have all the monsters trash the monk, or cast hypnotic pattern and reduce incoming damage.

Fireball isn't going to kill things unless they were weak enough to be easily taken out anyway, yeah. But our party faces large groups pretty often, which means it can get me like 5+ turns' worth of damage right at the start of a fight. That's a pretty good rate of exchange and reduces the amount of damage we take in the long run (the best status effect is "dead"). This isn't at all meant to say that Fireball is better than Hypnotic Pattern, just that so far I've been pretty happy with my uses of it.

It's sounding like I should definitely take Web as one of my two spells. Since it has a similar AOE as Hypnotic Pattern (i.e. indiscriminately-targeted cube), that suggests I shouldn't take that spell. I think Web and Misty Step are probably going to be my picks this level. And I'll hope to find a lab or somewhere to do research soon.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Suggestion looks really nice and I definitely want it, but I don't think it beats out my other options at this point.
Awful, and the DM is also very rigid in interpretation of the rules. He doesn't like making judgement calls.

If your DM is rigid with interpretation, Suggestion is a 7th level strength spell.

If your DM doesn't like making judgement calls, Suggestion is awful. That spell is 100% DM dependent.

Also you'll either end up with an interpretation where the spell is nearly useless, or where it instantly takes care of every single encounter with an intelligent opponent.

It's a loving awful spell. Table breaker.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

dex_sda posted:

If your DM is rigid with interpretation, Suggestion is a 7th level strength spell.

If your DM doesn't like making judgement calls, Suggestion is awful. That spell is 100% DM dependent.

Also you'll either end up with an interpretation where the spell is nearly useless, or where it instantly takes care of every single encounter with an intelligent opponent.

It's a loving awful spell. Table breaker.

I'm barding it up and we just reached level 4 and I took Suggestion. Before, I took Heat Metal since we were in the portion of the campaign that was clearly a dungeon delve. Heat Metal is really loving good if your enemy is wearing armor. Take your armor off or suffer potential disadvantage and 2d8 damage each turn.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Heat metal is dope.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

OgreNoah posted:

I'm barding it up and we just reached level 4 and I took Suggestion. Before, I took Heat Metal since we were in the portion of the campaign that was clearly a dungeon delve. Heat Metal is really loving good if your enemy is wearing armor. Take your armor off or suffer potential disadvantage and 2d8 damage each turn.

Most armor takes like five minutes to remove so just enjoy melting your foes while they scramble to disrobe.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Malpais Legate posted:

Most armor takes like five minutes to remove so just enjoy melting your foes while they scramble to disrobe.

Even light armor (which isn't made from metal, but anyway) takes a full minute, a.k.a. longer than most encounters. An impossible-to-save-against 2d8 fire damage per round to one target plus imposing disadvantage on their attacks and ability rolls, at the cost of an L2 slot and your concentration, is a pretty drat good use of your resources.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
On the flip side, and someone mentioned this being done before in this thread. You can just cut the harness/straps of your armor to get out of it. At least for myself a totally legit reaction when your breastplate begins trying to cook you.

The problem as I recall is that DM didn't drop the enemies AC which was dumb.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Awful, and the DM is also very rigid in interpretation of the rules. He doesn't like making judgement calls. We've talked about this a few times, but I don't really want to get into rules fights so it's easier to just stick to spells that have clear game-mechanic effects. If I ever get the School of Illusion capstone, then illusions will become a lot more useful as they'll be real (at least in part), but that's a long ways in the future, if ever.

You might want to ask your dm to switch schools. Illusion has been "argue with your DM" in almost every edition (even 4e had some of this) and you're not going to have much fun as an illusionist. Diviner is really strong, as is necromancer (though necromancers should be handled with care).

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Arthil posted:

On the flip side, and someone mentioned this being done before in this thread. You can just cut the harness/straps of your armor to get out of it. At least for myself a totally legit reaction when your breastplate begins trying to cook you.

The problem as I recall is that DM didn't drop the enemies AC which was dumb.

Still probably worse than just slapping the Wizard around until they gently caress up a concentration check.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Razorwired posted:

Still probably worse than just slapping the Wizard around until they gently caress up a concentration check.

Probably but trying to imagine the NPCs as understanding game mechanics can spoil the fun sometimes. On the other side, had my Saturday DM have a caster hit my EK with Heat Metal on his plate armor once... He laughed at them and kept on approaching, being a Fire Genasi and all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Tibalt posted:

Most of the MtG lore would make good fodder for a Spelljammer or Slider-esque campaign. Lots of good art to show as well.

I’ve been rolling the idea around in my head since the Ravnica book came out. Having them later planeshift to different planes like the Aztec dinosaur and vampire conquistadors world, or late 90’s Rath to have them deal with Slivers.

I’m the only Magic player in my group, so I have to make this actually fun, and not just me indulging myself.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Then I'd give him a name not based on the sound of the coffin but rather what comes after. Being buried alive is just the brand to an end. If he's going to be his heaven Butler give him an angelic butlery noise. If he's to be a bodyguard give him bodyguard noises. Or give him a name based on the rituals he's been doing up to now. You could have his name be a snippet of chanting, then people could call him Chanter.

As an aside would he have been able to fly in Egypt heaven?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
'Inter these grave goods' in a chanted singsong tone. Would be a good name and a good way to give him a name that's actually pronounceable whilst still being a heard sound.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Call them Graves.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Glagha posted:

Call them Graves.

Go with this.

Also the Kenku lore is dumb just let them talk and create things.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

If they have heard enough people talk couldn’t they just mimic them to string together sentences ala transformers bumblebee with his radio?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I generally do kenku by giving them two or three people they've known long enough to sample a functional vocabulary from. So your main voice is already someone who was close to you, and you probably have another voice for code-switching, like when you need to talk academic or criminal or courtly.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Isn't that exactly what it says in Volo's about Kenku? Like, I'm pretty sure the default assumption is that have enough words to say pretty much whatever they want, they just sound kind of like a robocall because their sentences are strung together with words from different people's voices. Like I specifically remember a sidebar that says basically "Kenku have no problem communicating just say what you want to say don't be annoying with voices and sound effects"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The sidebar is more like "describe narratively what you're communicating." Like "Bangclang mimics a clock to indicate he's impatient."

That's fine for whoever wants to do it but I think code-switching to different voices for different contexts captures the Kenku vibe and also helps you flesh out your personality and history.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

My current group's Kenku gunslinger, Gunshot (the literal sound of a gunshot), grew up on cowboy stories so he's basically just cosplaying John Wayne/Clint Eastwood and reciting bad cowboy lines he thinks are cool. We don't particularly give a poo poo about the kenku limitations, it's just assumed he sounds like a spaghetti Western soundboard.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If he was to be afterlife butler, make his name a polite and unobtrusive cough.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's meant to be a little more harrowing. He's a ranger, he fights the undead, he was trained by the temple to speak Celestial. When you're rich and powerful you don't skimp on hiring an afterlife guide.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's meant to be a little more harrowing. He's a ranger, he fights the undead, he was trained by the temple to speak Celestial. When you're rich and powerful you don't skimp on hiring an afterlife guide.
"A weird rattling noise you can't quite place"

Then the first time he shoots a skeleton turn to the the party and do an exasperated "see???" hand gesture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Name your Kenku "Jahn" and he only mimics well known podcasts.