Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Pliny_theElder in game, throw me an invite when you get a chance. These heads aren't going to break themselves in the first 2 minutes (need that for break part to build the godhand) (which will definitely be nerfed the day before i build it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

How do I get past the +5 wall? I feel weak as gently caress fighting the Dire Patrol boys, but I need their mats to upgrade my gear any further. Plus all the randies I group with keep getting steamrolled, and nobody kills the shock quills. Argh.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Matazat posted:

How do I get past the +5 wall? I feel weak as gently caress fighting the Dire Patrol boys, but I need their mats to upgrade my gear any further. Plus all the randies I group with keep getting steamrolled, and nobody kills the shock quills. Argh.

I did it by 1) Playing with buds 2) Picking a behemoth that seemed much like its lower tier predecessor and farming that for a bit.

If you can't do number 1 try doing number 2. I did the Ragetail Gnasher because he pretty much does what the Gnasher does but with more feeling. It's pretty easy to get dialed in on him. Remember you can boop him during his charging attack, and it comes in fours most of the time. If you miss the first you can definitely get him the next time 'round.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Matazat posted:

Go and hunt the same one over and over until you learn it really well.
The difficulty of MonHun games is not getting gear, it's learning the moves.

Eventually you can no-hit monsters that used to stomp you.

It's chasing that feeling that keeps me going.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I started to play this but it didn't seem fun because there was no "hunt" to it. I spawned in with a couple of other guys and they immediately ran right to the monster and started loving it up and the whole lasted like, five minutes tops. Is that typical? Can I play by myself?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Julius CSAR posted:

I started to play this but it didn't seem fun because there was no "hunt" to it. I spawned in with a couple of other guys and they immediately ran right to the monster and started loving it up and the whole lasted like, five minutes tops. Is that typical? Can I play by myself?

You can solo, the monsters will scale.

The hunting aspect is light for sure but the arenas get larger as you go on.

One fun trick is that when the monster goes from phase 1 to 2, it will try to point itself towards its destination. It's not 100% reliable but keep a look out.

edit:
Invites sent to everyone. Let me know if I missed you.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 18, 2019

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Julius CSAR posted:

Yeah there's no real tracking or info collecting in this game as opposed to Monster Hunter. It's mostly learning about and preparing for a bunch of boss fights. Less random fun moments than Monster Hunter, but you do get right down to the fighting.

Dauntless is straight forward monster loving while MH is about the journey as much as the battle.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay so, one one hand I hate hackers but on the other hand I love sometimes teaming up with people that can nuke monsters down in 5 seconds.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Started getting into this game, seems pretty nice and accessible.

My monster hunter skills immediately transmitted over with no fuss but given how streamlined things are I think that I would be doing fine regardless.

Can't wait to play this with goons and friends/relatives.

Elpato posted:

Yeah there's no real tracking or info collecting in this game as opposed to Monster Hunter. It's mostly learning about and preparing for a bunch of boss fights. Less random fun moments than Monster Hunter, but you do get right down to the fighting.

Dauntless is straight forward monster loving while MH is about the journey as much as the battle.

Monster hunter also takes quite a bit more prep to get into but you can pretty much jump right into this relatively quickly. They pretty much designed this to be the game that monster hunter players will play in between releases of monster hunter games and dlc/expansions.

Which is probably what I will wind up doing.

The whole cross-platform thing though also means pretty much any of my friends can get into it tho. Also it's coming to switch too, so that cross-platform progression while playing on the go will be real nice. :dance:

Anyway, it seems like it's designed to be an evergreen game that they're going to keep adding new poo poo to do to - basically a Monster Hunter Meets Warframe kinda deal I guess. Will be interesting to see if they bring additional gameplay activities and stuff later too. For now, the straightforward simplicity is great for pick-up-and-play sessions.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 19, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'm real excited for the Switch port. MHGU is great and all but I actually think this is a way better game to just pick up and whack a monster around with.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Most games are bad with some lag, but this game is downright unplayable. Haven't had a problem until today which is pretty good overall.

Dodging an attack to clip back into and take a hit feels real bad.

e. actually, using the repeater charged special to dodge back, then to teleport back to where you were and get walloped is pretty funny as long as you aren't going to lose.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 21, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The lag where you start moving around after an attack and then your character decides he’s on the ground for five more seconds is incredibly frustrating. That, and the noises that repeaters make sounds exactly like my fire alarm new battery alert.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I haven't experienced any noticeable lag except for the beginning of most missions where it goes, "Oh you want to play? Weird but okay."

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
This game is my new weird addiction. I’m so bad at it and it’s so fun.

How do I join the goon guild? I’m playing on xbone and my gametag is beardedferret, while my Epic name is GolfDaddy69.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Hey if you ever see a massive laser beam and then the beast suddenly dies it's a very rare spear called The Godhand that can fire an infinite channelled attack.

It's awesome but clearly very very broken.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Hey if you ever see a massive laser beam and then the beast suddenly dies it's a very rare spear called The Godhand that can fire an infinite channelled attack.

It's awesome but clearly very very broken.

Yeah, stumbled into a guy using that one on like my second heroic patrol. I knew something was off when the loving heroic fuckoff doom beaver died in like 90 seconds flat. drat thing was doing like a thousand damage each tick.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I saw that once and it seemed to glitch out the fight and no matter how much damage we did the fight never ended.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I started playing again, only played a little bit in the early Beta and only recently moved my account to the new Epic Account System, so I'm still pretty low level (19, just killed the Void rear end in a top hat) ingame as Feindfeuer (Epic/PC) feel free to add me if you want the worst Gunner ever on your team. I am also using other weapons, but I'm somehow even worse with them.

e: just did a Dire Patrol where that Void Bat Asshat actually managed to fall off the edge of the map and die 1 minute into the fight. I didn't even know that Monsters could die from falling off the map.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 22, 2019

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

If we're still putting a guild together, I'm KDRudy in the game.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Is it possible to mute someone?

Also coincidentally, can you report someone for eating chips into a microphone?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Not sure what the keyboard mapping is, but the back button on an xbox controller will bring up a friends list/comms menu where you can mute people.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
At 380 power I have still never once beaten scorchstone hellion.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Can’t take it any more. The in town lag got to me. I’ll see this game in a few months, because this amount of jank... it’s a shame, but I can’t deal. Give me the choice to opt into single player for the town because there’s no point in having it be multiplayer.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Bogart posted:

Can’t take it any more. The in town lag got to me. I’ll see this game in a few months, because this amount of jank... it’s a shame, but I can’t deal. Give me the choice to opt into single player for the town because there’s no point in having it be multiplayer.

It’s kind of endearing, I think. The combat is really smooth but the town performance ranges from middling to totally broken. But I’m still in that early honeymoon phase with the game so I’ll have it crash to the home screen and load it again immediately because beating up monsters is so much fun.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

NeurosisHead posted:

At 380 power I have still never once beaten scorchstone hellion.

The worst monster in the game next to Boreus.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Coq au Nandos posted:

It’s kind of endearing, I think. The combat is really smooth but the town performance ranges from middling to totally broken. But I’m still in that early honeymoon phase with the game so I’ll have it crash to the home screen and load it again immediately because beating up monsters is so much fun.

I had that time too. You'll learn.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

The worst monster in the game next to Boreus.

Just use repeaters.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Just use repeaters.

Hellion gear makes this fight much more bearable. For melee it's practically mandatory that someone has a set. The little orbs are just so good.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
I just picked this up a few days ago. Seems like a interesting casual monster hunter game. I played Monster Hunter and it was just a bit too complex for me, when I just want a casual game to pick up for a bit of time. As a beginning player what should I shoot for when it comes to getting to end game? I hate switching around weapons and all that if at all possible. Is there some sort of "build" that kinda allows you to casually get by? Is it recommended to buy the elite pass or whatever its called?

Edit* Do we have a group or something for teaming up to stay in house?

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

ragedx posted:

I just picked this up a few days ago. Seems like a interesting casual monster hunter game. I played Monster Hunter and it was just a bit too complex for me, when I just want a casual game to pick up for a bit of time. As a beginning player what should I shoot for when it comes to getting to end game? I hate switching around weapons and all that if at all possible. Is there some sort of "build" that kinda allows you to casually get by? Is it recommended to buy the elite pass or whatever its called?

Edit* Do we have a group or something for teaming up to stay in house?

Here's some stuff that might help:

1) Definitely complete your quests. They give you access to more content, weapons, potions, etc.
2) The pistols are probably to most newbie friendly weapons in the game. Just remember that the closer you are the monster when you use them, the better. Treat them like shotguns.
3) A really good neutral set of gear will carry you through much of the early game. No need to specialize like crazy. The shrike (neutral) set and embermane (fire) set go pretty well with the pistols if you want to just focus on one or two sets. They give you bonuses when you dodge, and you'll do a lot of that to stay mobile with the pistols.
4) There is a goon guild.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does the Goon Guild have a discord?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

My go to for learning while bad is repeaters with shrike stacking the extra iv frames and lower stamina cost of dodge while trying to stay in melee range to give the buff for everyone, and molten to help out too.

Have fun kiting around once everyone else dies though.

Also don’t do this for skarn, please.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Turtlicious posted:

Does the Goon Guild have a discord?

No because there aren't enough of us to justify it.
There are other Goon discords around that we may be able to snag a channel.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Add me on your platform of choice, NickRoweFillea across all systems. What’s the goon guild?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

New patch had some good things. There's a tonne more.

Godhand no longer broke
New Skraev
When getting repeatedly hit with earth weapons, behemoths will spawn healing orbs for everyone.
improved performance in Ramsgate
Valomyr now won't teleport a million miles away
Boreus much better, less immune phases and summons whelps when not immune now sometimes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

NickRoweFillea posted:

Add me on your platform of choice, NickRoweFillea across all systems. What’s the goon guild?

SOMETHING AWFUL
I'll invite you today, probably.

I haven't been playing a ton lately.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

SOMETHING AWFUL

Mind inviting me as well? Tag should be “chamusta”. I’ve been back in the game since console release and am now working on gearing up for and learning Koshai.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water

Inzombiac posted:

SOMETHING AWFUL

Invite some day if you can. I think the stupid name is NamesGoesHere
Do you have to be invited or can you apply to the group?

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

SOMETHING AWFUL

I would also like an invite please - In; thank you!

Correnth fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You have to be invited.

It's not a good system right now but I hope clan mechanics get fleshed out.