Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
First time playing and I rolled White Mage for my Wind Crystal class. Are there any tricks that I'm missing, or is it just going to be a slowly plinking away at enemies with staves until I get my next job(/flails, maybe) for offense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DalaranJ posted:

This is my first 4JF, so I'd like some advice on this profoundly mediocre roll (as far as I can tell).
Advice like, 'Go ahead and job fair for chemist.'

Enkibot has your back: https://enkibot.herokuapp.com

Summoner is actually really good, as long as you don't run out of MP recovery items. Rods are your friends.

And ranger gets Rapidfire, so you've actually got a really good team... I mean monk isn't great but it's got some synergy with dancer.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 18, 2019

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DalaranJ posted:

This is my first 4JF, so I'd like some advice on this profoundly mediocre roll (as far as I can tell).

Dancer can get easy 9999 with Chicken Knife Sword Dances, Ranger's !Rapidfire is useful no matter what your comp, and Phoenix on Summoner can turn you into a perpetual motion machine.

The only weak link is Monk, and even then you can stick him with Rapidfire for 8 hits a round.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the void ate geomancer so my team of monk 2 freelancers and friend berserker is going to kill the evil mage man. tomorrow. For now I will sleep.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well that was easy, ground up to 32 but it was probably significantly overkill.
Next up is Samurai/Knight/Red/Time, I guess I'm going to do a brave blade run.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

DalaranJ posted:

No team with a Summoner is anything other than excellent. Easily a top 5 job. Ranger and Dancer are pretty good as well once you reach World 3.

The most important tip is tracking down all summons. Some of them are somewhat obscure to find.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Just finished water crystal, thought my first job was there but I forgot Beastmaster is actually a fire job. :v:

And my second one is Bard, so I'm getting to continue the abuse of Freelancer power until then and hope I get something I can use at fire until I get to Bard cause quad Beastmaster would be quite the armor/weapon downgrade.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

LiefKatano posted:

First time playing and I rolled White Mage for my Wind Crystal class. Are there any tricks that I'm missing, or is it just going to be a slowly plinking away at enemies with staves until I get my next job(/flails, maybe) for offense?

Grab the flail from the Ship Graveyard. Smack Siren with Cure when she turns undead. For other bosses, focus on dealing damage with the flail-wielder and healing with the others. Try not to get hung up on random encounters because they'll be a slog.

I got White Mage during my first Fiesta run. It's really not as painful as it might seem; every boss I fought prior to getting my second job was entirely manageable.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

BisbyWorl posted:

Dancer can get easy 9999 with Chicken Knife Sword Dances, Ranger's !Rapidfire is useful no matter what your comp, and Phoenix on Summoner can turn you into a perpetual motion machine.

The only weak link is Monk, and even then you can stick him with Rapidfire for 8 hits a round.

You can give the monk !summon and just have a beefy second caster. That party is pretty good, and if it's on GBA it's great.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Maleketh posted:

Grab the flail from the Ship Graveyard. Smack Siren with Cure when she turns undead. For other bosses, focus on dealing damage with the flail-wielder and healing with the others. Try not to get hung up on random encounters because they'll be a slog.

I got White Mage during my first Fiesta run. It's really not as painful as it might seem; every boss I fought prior to getting my second job was entirely manageable.

Good advice.

When you finally get to Garula right before the water crystal jobs, understand that Garula will counter-attack your physical damage members. Perhaps you might consider a back-row strategy, or just letting your highest-damage character attack while (most of) the rest of the party heals.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also use Protect on your party for Magisa/Forza and Garula, that cuts down a lot of the damage.

DalaranJ posted:

Gaia Gear boosts Titan's damage.

If you haven't beat World 1 yet, you can buy the L1 spells in Walse, get Shiva in Walse Castle, and Ramuh's a random encounter around Istory. When you hit World 2, Golem is a random encounter in Drakenvale, Shoat/Catoblepas is on an island as a random encounter (requires the submarine to access), and Carbuncle is in Exdeath's Castle. Once you hit World 3, go to the Pirate Cave to get Syldra, which with Air Knives will be your biggest damage dealer for the rest of the game, and Odin is in Jacohl Cave. You shouldn't need Bahamut but it's on North Mountain (requires Black Chocobo from Mirage), Phoenix is in Phoenix Tower on the other side of the region North Mountain is in (and not really worth getting for the effort required), and Leviathan is at the end of Istory Falls (or you can just skip the fight and summon, which you might as well because it's not as strong as Syldra or Bahamut).

You'll learn to love Golem and Syldra especially. Otherwise, practice running for the Chicken Knife, which the Ranger and Dancer will both love. Once you get the airship in World 3, grab the Thief Knife in Mirage (it's a hidden item at the bar) and steal a Red Dress or two from Parthenope (Equip Ribbons lets non-Dancers wear it, it's nice armor in general and boosts the chances of Sword Dance triggering).

Otherwise, World 2 you'll be relying a lot on Monk and Summoner. Ranger's !Animals is random but is at a good point where you'll roll Nightingale for some free healing, so make use of that. Titan isn't going to be impressive damage, but it'll be all you got really so learn to love it. World 2 will be your toughest part, though.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

So I've got Thief/Berserker/Ninja/Dancer.

Sticking Dual-Wield on a Dancer and doing Swords Dance all day with the Chicken Knife is an obvious goal to shoot for, and I have a Thief with Equip Axes for Death Scythe shenanigans, but what else can I do? Does Artful Dodger do anything for Berserkers? Or would they be better off with a ribbon on them? Image is probably going to be useful, but should I bother grinding out Reflect Rings in Barrier Tower? My characters are already in their low 20s by this point, and I'm thinking that might be overkill.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

So I've got Thief/Berserker/Ninja/Dancer.

Sticking Dual-Wield on a Dancer and doing Swords Dance all day with the Chicken Knife is an obvious goal to shoot for, and I have a Thief with Equip Axes for Death Scythe shenanigans, but what else can I do? Does Artful Dodger do anything for Berserkers? Or would they be better off with a ribbon on them? Image is probably going to be useful, but should I bother grinding out Reflect Rings in Barrier Tower? My characters are already in their low 20s by this point, and I'm thinking that might be overkill.

Artful is good for most fights. Berserkers are naturally confuse-proof so Equip Ribbons isn't as great as it normally is for Omega on them, but I would use it on NED for sure.

The main problem with that party is that there is a lot of competition for the high end daggers (and 3 people can use the CK).

The main reasons to get Reflect Rings are the Crystals and Meatdeath. Your Zerker will handle Crystals, but it would help Meatdeath. Personally I almost never get them myself, and I think your offense should be sufficient with Twin Lances, but YMMV.

derra fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 18, 2019

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I jumped the gun and found out my Earth job so now I know I'm going with White Mage/Summoner/Geomancer/Dancer. Which is weird, I normally stay away from magic-type jobs and classes and focus on pure melee because my brain is broke and treats MP the way most people treat elixirs and stuff.

Anyway I got all the way up to Adamantoise last night, who I tried to fight fairly and ended up being harder for me than Garula until I got bored and smashed an Ice rod into his face. I was hoping to hit him with Shiva over and over but he was just one hitting people constantly. What else was there? Byblios was super easy, I didn't even have to break a rod on him which was a nice change, the geomancers melted him. Oh and I went and fought Shiva which I've never bothered to before, and I fought Sandworm without a zerker for the first time ever.

The farthest I've ever gotten was... I'm actually not sure, it was somewhere in world 2, but this is a pretty interesting team at least, I was worried I'd get a Chemist and have to remember how to mix.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So how important is Flare really? I know that the level three elemental spells do about the same damage as long as you have the right rods, and are cheaper, so I'm just wondering when Flare is indisputably critical if you have a black mage. As in, worth doing a whole two extras dungeons critical.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Peaked at my fifth job upgrade so I lose bard for ninja. How they work with blue mage and two zerkers?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Some Guy TT posted:

So how important is Flare really? I know that the level three elemental spells do about the same damage as long as you have the right rods, and are cheaper, so I'm just wondering when Flare is indisputably critical if you have a black mage. As in, worth doing a whole two extras dungeons critical.

Not really. Because elemental spells can be "element boosted", their attack power significantly dwarfs Flare's for single target use, and Flare can't be multi-targeted anyways.

The number of valid use cases for Flare is so small that I wouldn't bother with Fork Tower unless you wanted it for some other reason (Wonder Wand, stuff from Istory/Trench, etc).

E: Like Derra says, if you have Mystic Knight then shut the gently caress up and go get Flare yesterday, it's that good.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Flare Sword is good.

Flare is not.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh I should ask is anyone who can use a knife able to use the Chicken Knife or does it work weird? I've literally never used one before.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Shoehead posted:

Oh I should ask is anyone who can use a knife able to use the Chicken Knife or does it work weird? I've literally never used one before.

It's just a normal (Superpowered) Knife.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Supremezero posted:

It's just a normal (Superpowered) Knife.

A superpowered knife with a 25% chance of making you automatically Flee, unless you use it with a special command, such as !Mug, !Focus, !Jump, but NOT !Aim. If you've got a Ninja, putting a Twin Lance in the first hand and the CK in the second also prevents the Flee proc. It's good but not without drawbacks.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

All the Flee proc does is make it comparable to other weapons and make it sketchy to use during Shinryu. :v:

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Rirse posted:

Peaked at my fifth job upgrade so I lose bard for ninja. How they work with blue mage and two zerkers?

Dual Wield makes your zerks even more powerful, at the loss of their shields, and giving your Ninja Blue boosts their magic and therefore their scrolls - helps out on multi-target fights. Alternatively, giving your ninja Equip Axes boosts their attack power a bit if you're not planning on casting blue spells or throwing scrolls.

As a counter-point, giving your blue mage Throw means they can equip the relevant rod and do quite a nice bit of work with the scrolls.

Getting dual-wield on two characters is a hell of a grind, unfortunately, but more levels on a zerk isn't a bad thing.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Shoehead posted:

It can be used by anyone that can use knives yes. It just has a 1 in 4 chance to cast flee(instant run away from battle).
That proc is a wasted turn on bosses, but usually worth the overall damage output. You can also avoid the flee proc entirely with !mug, !dance, !focus, !jump, !rapidfire, and using dualwield with a twinlance in your main hand.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Complete_Cynic posted:

Getting dual-wield on two characters is a hell of a grind, unfortunately, but more levels on a zerk isn't a bad thing.
It's the same grind as for one character because lmao if you think I'll stick to Fiesta rules while grinding with Lvl 5 death for half an hour of drudgery, just make two Ninjas for that session imho

Semi-EDIT: Don't forget Mineuchi as a way to avoid CK procs, it doesn't paralyze (on GBA), but bypasses the trigger afaik

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Nasgate posted:

It can be used by anyone that can use knives yes. It just has a 1 in 4 chance to cast flee(instant run away from battle).
That proc is a wasted turn on bosses, but usually worth the overall damage output. You can also avoid the flee proc entirely with !mug, !dance, !focus, !jump, !rapidfire, and using dualwield with a twinlance in your main hand.

Ah this is exactly what I was wondering about. The flee proc doesn't seem so bad if it only wastes a turn on bosses, so far I've had geomancer do that a few times and from the little I understand of Dancer that's like their whole MO.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Flare is useful for enemies with high Magic Defense and no weaknesses to Fire/Ice/Lightning.

There are very few of those enemies though, so it's overshadowed hard by boosted -agas.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Nasgate posted:

There's also Goblin Punch!

...Which uses the base power of 1... :eng99:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

It's the same grind as for one character because lmao if you think I'll stick to Fiesta rules while grinding with Lvl 5 death for half an hour of drudgery, just make two Ninjas for that session imho

Semi-EDIT: Don't forget Mineuchi as a way to avoid CK procs, it doesn't paralyze (on GBA), but bypasses the trigger afaik

Speaking of ignoring tedious Fiesta rules, how do you all feel about Upgrade? It sounds interesting to me in theory, but in practice it sounds like you're just forced to grind the hell out of the wind and water crystal jobs if you want to get even one useful skill out of them, especially with regards to the mage classes. Cheating via waiting until you get the last skill you want naturally seems more sensible, or just having designated grind times once you get access to the squirrels. I was thinking of trying a Normal Upgrade for my second run but that particular inconvenience nags at me.

My other idea was to use the fiesta patch and do a Chaos / Pure Chaos Natural Run and just setting everyone's classes right away. I've been noticing lots of distasteful comments about Natural though. Why is that? Not as much fun because there's no skill mixing?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

Speaking of ignoring tedious Fiesta rules, how do you all feel about Upgrade? It sounds interesting to me in theory, but in practice it sounds like you're just forced to grind the hell out of the wind and water crystal jobs if you want to get even one useful skill out of them, especially with regards to the mage classes.

You don't have to upgrade right when you hit the crystal. You can just do it whenever you're ready.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DalaranJ posted:

Monk isn't as bad as most people say as long as you keep them adequately leveled. Feeding them enough XP can be a bit grindy, and the crowd who want to run as quickly as possible hates that, so they get a bad reputation. Their only real downside is that they don't get late game superpowers like a lot of other jobs.

The problem you're going to run into is that your Dancer also needs a fully powered Chicken Knife, and grinding that out along with levels for your Monk is a little painful.

Some Guy TT posted:

I've been noticing lots of distasteful comments about Natural though. Why is that? Not as much fun because there's no skill mixing?

Yeah, that's the issue. Try it out and you'll see pretty quickly why.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

For anyone having trouble submitting victories, you need to tweet them with #Victory, #Victoryomega and #Victoryshinryu. The webpage submission isn't working.

Started my second run, Pure Chaos + Fifth Job. Starts with a Mime. :getin:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Monk is strictly worse at any level compared to any other physical class. If being unarmed didn't destroy your damage output they would be a fine, if boring, class, but the devs decided that monk being able to attack twice is too strong to not be nerfed even though Ninjas exist. !Kick is even worse, because it doesn't even ignore row.

Loon broke down exactly why Monks are terrible later on in one of the Fest Done Fast streams, although I don't remember which one. E: pretty sure it's this video, during the Omega fight

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 18, 2019

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Welp this is a nightmare: Monk, Red Mage, Ranger, Dragoon

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

gatesealer posted:

Welp this is a nightmare: Monk, Red Mage, Ranger, Dragoon

You've got Ranger, you're fine. Bows are amazing and Rapid Fire solves a lot of DPS issues. Monk and Red will blaze through World 1.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Simply Simon posted:

Mineuchi does not bypass the chance to cast !Flee.

pointy corpse
Jul 7, 2014

Started my first ever run, starting with Monk. Maybe this time I can finish a drat game!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Was accidentally a little late on the screenshot and just got the tail end, but "winnerrisk" completed with only tiny summer Lenna still hanging on.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

Chalk up another Butes.

Getting to use Blue Mage for I think the first time was cool, but being handed this god team and (Winner mechanics)knowing it was guaranteed made things surprisingly boring. Hopefully, my upcoming Chaos no750 run puts the spark back in things for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Garula with white mages. This is where my fiestaing died last year, but I guess I'll just power through.