Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

People bitch a lot now about HL2 and Doom 3 but they were relatively well-received at the time. The main complaint about Doom 3 at the time was that you couldn't use a flashlight and a gun at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I wish people would stop trying to convince themselves or others that Doom 3 is good.

I'm very critical of Doom 3 myself but if you are trying to tell other people that having different opinions of what is fun is wrong hooooooooooo boy :can:

You must recognize that part of art is subjective and... I'm gonna stop now before I say rude things.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

In the middle of all this debate, I am stopping in to say Blood rules.

Im finally getting the hang of the movement and hoooooly poo poo it is fun.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I had fairly large reasons to give the home team advantage to Doom 3 and I still ended up finding it OK but not amazing, and I thought that Half-Life 2 far eclipsed it later that year.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Here's my opinion: At the time I liked HL2 better. Now I prefer Doom. Whatup

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

TOOT BOOT posted:

The main complaint about Doom 3 at the time was that you couldn't use a flashlight and a gun at the same time.

And Doom3 BFG showed why using both at the same time detracted from the game and should have stayed the way it was (or at the very least have been an option).
Or the secret third option, ROE on the original Xbox merged the pistol and flashlight, which was rather neat.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

People bitch a lot now about HL2 and Doom 3 but they were relatively well-received at the time. The main complaint about Doom 3 at the time was that you couldn't use a flashlight and a gun at the same time.

HL2 was seen as revolutionary at the time but I definitely remember people pointing out Doom 3’s faults at the time. Things like monsters spawning in closets, the low number of enemies, and the slow pace were definitely contemporary criticisms.

In fact much of the attention at the time was give to the games graphics rather than gameplay.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/doom-3-review/1900-6104145/

With that said, it was never a bad game. Just not the revolutionary game it was hyped up to be, especially since it was preceded by Far Cry and succeeded by Half Life 2 in the same year.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Funny thing about Doom 3 vs Half-Life 2,

Doom 3 had an intro level that sure seemed to try to copy the "day in the life" intro of Half-Life 1.

But then Half-life 2 comes out and everybody's obsessed with physics puzzles and the gravity gun.

What's hilarious is that Doom 3 had a gravity gun. It was a developer tool to test physics. They just didn't think to make it a gameplay element.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

HL2 was seen as revolutionary at the time but I definitely remember people pointing out Doom 3’s faults at the time. Things like monsters spawning in closets, the low number of enemies, and the slow pace were definitely contemporary criticisms.

In fact much of the attention at the time was give to the games graphics rather than gameplay.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/doom-3-review/1900-6104145/

With that said, it was never a bad game. Just not the revolutionary game it was hyped up to be, especially since it was preceded by Far Cry and succeeded by Half Life 2 in the same year.

It was also sandwiched between the first two Call of Duty games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They added the gravity gun back into expansion pack for Doom 3 and i remember catching an imp fireball with it and then dutifully never using it again

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The problem with the gravity gun equivalent in Doom 3 is that there's really not much you can do with it. It's the kind of weapon you have to structure your level design around, otherwise it just ends up being a gimmick.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Samuel Clemens posted:

The problem with the gravity gun equivalent in Doom 3 is that there's really not much you can do with it. It's the kind of weapon you have to structure your level design around, otherwise it just ends up being a gimmick.

And then you run into the problem where you stack your stages full of physics objects to justify the gravity gun, but you want to make sure the player thinks to use it so you don't give them real guns, and then you get Ravenholm and the player really wishing they just had normal guns instead of the weird "awkwardly pick up conveniently placed sawblades to shoot at stuff".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah, I can't fault anybody who really liked (or likes) the gravity gun, but I remember being sort of lukewarm to it even in 2004. It was a cool idea that was technically sound, I messed around with it a fair amount and used it when the game needed me to...but ultimately, I just preferred to shoot things with an actual gun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, I can't fault anybody who really liked (or likes) the gravity gun, but I remember being sort of lukewarm to it even in 2004. It was a cool idea that was technically sound, I messed around with it a fair amount and used it when the game needed me to...but ultimately, I just preferred to shoot things with an actual gun.

Yeah I was mostly just like "oh, neat! Uhh..can I shoot things again?"

Ravenholm always sucked

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Doom 3’s method of interacting with console panels in the game was really cool and I really wish more games used that interface style. I remember reading an interview with Carmack stating that he fought the team on even having a use key because he didn’t think an FPS needed one.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a bit of fun to be had in fiddling around with the little pda screens in doom 3 and i definitely do wish more games would copy that

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Prey 2017 does that if you use the PRIC mod to enable Doom 3 style monitor control. It works so well I'm surprised it wasn't the default option.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That is the default mode, at least on the console versions. You can also do it from across the room with the dart gun!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

HL2 was delisted actually

No, it's actually selling for 8,19€. You can buy all Valve games on Steam, no exception.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Linguica posted:

I had fairly large reasons to give the home team advantage to Doom 3 and I still ended up finding it OK but not amazing, and I thought that Half-Life 2 far eclipsed it later that year.

I think Far Cry eclipsed it as well. It was a good year for PC shooters.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't think I've ever played Doom 3 without a duct tape mod (got it at launch and mods were available on day 1) so that's a reason why I don't hate it. I still prefer Quake 4 over it and of course Far Cry and HL2 but Doom 3 is far from unplayable and I kinda appreciate it more now than years ago. With Doom 2016 out I like to think that Doom 3 is happening at the same time as Doom and D3 marine not being as badass as doomguy but still a tough one to survive all that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gobblecoque posted:

I would be more appreciative of Doom 3 if it was something like 1/10th of its length. It's okay I guess for a generic horror-shooter but it really outstays its welcome.

Which is one reason I enjoyed the expansion much more. It also helps that you never run out of ammo if you use the grav gun on imps v2.0.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Guillermus posted:

I don't think I've ever played Doom 3 without a duct tape mod (got it at launch and mods were available on day 1) so that's a reason why I don't hate it. I still prefer Quake 4 over it and of course Far Cry and HL2 but Doom 3 is far from unplayable and I kinda appreciate it more now than years ago. With Doom 2016 out I like to think that Doom 3 is happening at the same time as Doom and D3 marine not being as badass as doomguy but still a tough one to survive all that.

I think Doom 3 might have been received better if they had just called it Doom: Something, instead of part 3.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Doom: An Imp Behind Every Door.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The leaked Doom 3 alpha was pretty cool and I remember that each moving machine in a level was scripted. In the editor you could do a lot to make an anti-osha industrial hellscape.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DOOM: AAAAAH! Real Monsters!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was missing something in Amid Evil in the whole resource management & exploration part in comparison with other old school shooters, I couldn't put the finger in what was. But it's something simple, there is no armor system! It's a small thing, but I miss it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
When I finally caught up with Doom 3, it was the BFG edition on Xbox 360. And I went directly from that to DO4M on PS4. It's weird because playing them so close together, and both with a console controller, makes my recollection of the two games blend together. Even though the proximity made DO4M feel so much better at the time.

It's weird because there's annoying stuff from 3 that I probably incorrectly attribute to 4... and I get stuff like the enemy and weapon rosters all mixed up. I should play some more 4 I guess.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've read peoples' nostalgic descriptions of playing Doom 1 where they talk about moving slowly through dark rooms, jumping at every noise, just generally feeling terrified, which I've never been able to relate to at all since to me Doom has always been about running at like 50 kph through huge groups of enemies and making them kill each other while I'm already exploring the next room. It has tense moments but I've never considered it a horror game or particularly scary. I always thought the core Doom aesthetic is "drat this is badass" and not "drat I poo poo my pants". Doom 2016 really nailed the former but Doom 3 goes pretty hard for the latter, which is probably why I never really liked it that much.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

there's a bit of fun to be had in fiddling around with the little pda screens in doom 3 and i definitely do wish more games would copy that

Did your mother have any children that lived?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Volte posted:

I've read peoples' nostalgic descriptions of playing Doom 1 where they talk about moving slowly through dark rooms, jumping at every noise, just generally feeling terrified, which I've never been able to relate to at all since to me Doom has always been about running at like 50 kph through huge groups of enemies and making them kill each other while I'm already exploring the next room. It has tense moments but I've never considered it a horror game or particularly scary. I always thought the core Doom aesthetic is "drat this is badass" and not "drat I poo poo my pants". Doom 2016 really nailed the former but Doom 3 goes pretty hard for the latter, which is probably why I never really liked it that much.

I only played it like that because I found the keyboard controls really difficult. Also I didn't realise there was a run button for an embarassingly long time.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Volte posted:

Happened to me a few times replaying Doom when a Baron would activate that I didnt know it was there, or the first I think 2 times on Monster Condo (mostly because I was really low on health)

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*tears shirt * who the gently caress said the Shambler doesn’t have fur

he has fur

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Punk da Bundo posted:

*tears shirt * who the gently caress said the Shambler doesn’t have fur

he has fur

:eek: a real Shambler!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Volte posted:

Try it on Nightmare.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Convex posted:

I only played it like that because I found the keyboard controls really difficult. Also I didn't realise there was a run button for an embarassingly long time.

Same. When you're seven and you don't know how to strafe Pinkies are the most terrifying thing in the world.

e:

Definitely in the imps have fur/shamblers have fur camp :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 18, 2019

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wamdoodle posted:

:eek: a real Shambler!

he’s supposed to be a big ol Yeti thing.

man quake 1 had the best enemies . I’d pay 100 bucks for a quake 1 remake in the doom 4 style.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Try it on Nightmare.
That's 10x as hard in the other direction. It becomes insanely fast-paced at that point.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm pretty happy with the idea of coming back to Eviternity and playing the secret maps as they are very good. The last one, Anagnorisis, in special, because it's one of the best. It's huge, you see. But, it isn't just 'huge', in a gratuitous way. In its lengthy duration, this WAD turns to be a kind of 'greatest hits' compilation of what makes Doom can offer. There are 'survival' like moments with little health, ammo and without powerful weapons, there are fights on narrow passages against tough enemies with barely any space to evade, there sudden fights against hundreds of weak enemies, areas filled with imps at different heights for bullet hell feel, gimmicky fights against crowds of Archviles, Doom style platforming with cliff sides and 'jumps' to do by sprinting, convoluted areas that transform as you advance, natural looking scenarios and techbases, switch-hunting, etc.

That finished, I installed Guncaster and gave it a testdrive and... uh... yeah that's pretty loving OP. Even if I plan to play Sunder with it, I think I will need to use the damage modifiers that the mod includes, to make 25% less damage or something like that and that way delude myself thinking there is still some semblance of balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Volte posted:

That's 10x as hard in the other direction. It becomes insanely fast-paced at that point.

2, yes. Thy Flesh Consumed, maybe. But eps 1-3 basically turn into a survival horror game on NM; it's not slaughtermap enemy density, but you don't generally have enough ammo to slug it out with everyone unless you hunt secrets, and that's a lot harder on NM due to the respawning enemies and whatnot.