Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

silvergoose posted:

I have milk frother questions.

Let's say I'm considering getting one for work, because all I have at work is some lovely Boston bean co machine, and a Nespresso and I'm thinking I can turn Nespresso into better using a frother.

Is that silly?

Are the manual ones where you push a plunger down a bunch any good? Are they less loud than the electric wand thing?

Is this something that will truly turn Nespresso into something like a capp?

Why do you want a thick layer of flavorless bubbly foam? That's all they make.

The microfoam you get at fancy cafes are delicious but it's absolutely nothing like those frothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mu Zeta posted:

Why do you want a thick layer of flavorless bubbly foam? That's all they make.

The microfoam you get at fancy cafes are delicious but it's absolutely nothing like those frothers.

Because it won't be plain Nespresso, which is cool and good but maybe not what I want all day every day...

(this is a new workplace for me, I'm pondering other ways to spruce it up too)

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The Nespresso electric frother is quiet as hell. You can barely hear it. My wife has one at work and at home we also have the breville frother, a bit louder but a bigger capacity

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
First time trying my Clever coffee dripper this morning, the large one, and seemed to be a complete failure.
I used size 19 on the Encore Bartza, so finer then a French Press
30g of coffee w/ 473 grams of water
Pre-Wet filter w/ hot water before placing in grinds

Started my pour at 0:00
Stirred the bloom at 0:30
Tried to start extraction at 2:30
While I got a good amount of it out by 3:30, total drainage time took nearly 6 minutes

There is definitely a really funky bitterness. I should have likely tried a smaller g of coffee/water first as that was ALMOST too much water for the large Clever Dripper.

Thoughts/suggestions on grind size, ratio or what to do differently?

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Tiny Chalupa posted:

First time trying my Clever coffee dripper this morning, the large one, and seemed to be a complete failure.

While I got a good amount of it out by 3:30, total drainage time took nearly 6 minutes

There is definitely a really funky bitterness. I should have likely tried a smaller g of coffee/water first as that was ALMOST too much water for the large Clever Dripper.

I use a CCD semi-regularly and have settled into a workable setup for my tastes. My coffee:water ratio is about the same as yours; I do 1:15 (so for my purposes, either 20:300 or 30:450). I use a capresso infinity which has 16 settings to your 40ish, and about a 4 out of 16 (going most coarse->most fine) has been ideal for me. So, assuming they have the same spectrum more or less, that would be a setting of 10ish for you if you did the same (unless the Encore does fine->coarse in number?). I do the same brew stages, and it drains by about the 3:00 to 3:30 mark, usually closer to 3:30 which has been fine.

So, I'd try a setting of around 10 or so (1/4 of the way from full coarse) and see if that is a good spot for you, everything else should be accurate already imo.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Looks too fine a grind to me. Over extraction can be a real problem with the CCD, so coarse is better for me personally.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah I go for 23 on my encore when doing CCD, and about 22g coffee to 340g water or thereabouts. I also don't bother blooming the coffee, I just stir it a lil' when I finish pouring, and I start draining 2 minutes after I start pouring. I do a Rao spin to get the grounds to settle at the bottom, then I stop draining shortly after the coffee level drops below the grounds. I haven't timed it but it's probably under a minute to drain. If it's taking 6 minutes to drain I'd assume your grind is too fine, and both the fine grind and long drain time are contributing to your gross overextracted flavour.

EDIT: I'd also try not draining to completion as well, I think it's been discussed in the thread before but the last dregs of your pour over can have a funny flavour.

Tippecanoe fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 8, 2019

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Bumped up my grind to a 25, the Encore the higher the more coarse, and stuck w/ the 30g:450g coffee to water ratio.
I kept everything else the same, IE Bloom for 30 seconds and start drain at 2:30

Total extraction went from 6 minutes down to 4 and change. The last 45 seconds wasn't much in the way of water being extracted. I'll bump up my grind to 28 in the morning and see if that get's me to the 1 minute total extraction time. The cup is better then earlier.

Thank you everyone

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Bumped up my grind to a 25, the Encore the higher the more coarse, and stuck w/ the 30g:450g coffee to water ratio.
I kept everything else the same, IE Bloom for 30 seconds and start drain at 2:30

Total extraction went from 6 minutes down to 4 and change. The last 45 seconds wasn't much in the way of water being extracted. I'll bump up my grind to 28 in the morning and see if that get's me to the 1 minute total extraction time. The cup is better then earlier.

Thank you everyone

I think that last bump on your grind setting will get you to where you want to be. I really enjoy my CCD! It is a fantastic single-serving brew method.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I have the CCD/Encore:

21-22 grind, 20g coffee/330g water, ~202 degree water, 3 minutes before I put the CCD on the coffee cup to drain. Makes a fine cup that I don’t want to mess with until I have a Saturday to make a bunch of variant cups and stay up for 24hrs from the caffeine.

Last week I accidentally did a 32 grind on the Encore for a CCD cup and the coffee was was under extracted and watery.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Thought this fit here nicely.

https://twitter.com/natebargatze/status/1138855755363340288

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

When will "I'm lazy and stupid and can't be bothered to learn even simple things" stop being relatable and acceptable :(

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Sextro posted:

When will "I'm lazy and stupid and can't be bothered to learn even simple things" stop being relatable and acceptable :(

Soon, but first can you come set the time on my VCR?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Hey coffee thread, I'm in the market for a hand grinder again and I came across the Handground here: https://handground.com/handground-precision-coffee-grinder

Kind of pricy but the marketing worked on me - I'm willing to pay if it would be the last grinder I have to buy and it works well. Anyone have experience with this one?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

internet celebrity posted:

Hey coffee thread, I'm in the market for a hand grinder again and I came across the Handground here: https://handground.com/handground-precision-coffee-grinder

Kind of pricy but the marketing worked on me - I'm willing to pay if it would be the last grinder I have to buy and it works well. Anyone have experience with this one?

If it comes to you buying one, I have a kickstarter edition in nickel that doesn’t have much use and has just been collecting dust here.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

MrEnigma posted:

If it comes to you buying one, I have a kickstarter edition in nickel that doesn’t have much use and has just been collecting dust here.

What do you think of it? Reviews I've read have been all over the place which is either a sign that the design is flawed or that 3rd wave coffee bloggers are literally impossible to please.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have the LIDO grinder and love it. I don't think it will ever break, mostly because it's all steel and it's heavy as gently caress.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Just looking at the mechanism... it looks marginally better than the Skerton Pro.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I have the LIDO grinder and love it. I don't think it will ever break, mostly because it's all steel and it's heavy as gently caress.

That's...a 200 dollar grinder?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

silvergoose posted:

Also have a LIDO and it’s fantastic — the Skerton just doesn’t compare by any standard. I use it mainly on trips but it’s really well made.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

silvergoose posted:

I had to work myself up to it to justify the price. I went through the Porlex grinder and several of the Hario ones and they are basically trash compared to the LIDO. The Hanground didn't exist when I bought the LIDO but from what I've seen it doesn't look much better than the Hario. I do have a Baratza but I actually like manually grinding unless I'm making coffee for a bunch of people.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

silvergoose posted:

If you think that’s crazy, don’t look any further into the rabbit hole.

My hand grinder has a Mazzer Robur burr set, and weighs 2.2kg.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

silvergoose posted:

Sweet Summer child.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Munkaboo posted:

Sweet Summer child.
I'm trying hard to ignore all the spurting (due to inconsistent grind?) that I'm getting because the finished drinks still turn out better than most cafes around here.
I should just put the bottom over the portafilter... But then it is one more piece to clean :(

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Munkaboo posted:

Sweet Summer child.

Oh I know things can get super expensive, just didn't know that people spend lots on hand grinders rather than electric. Fwiw I like my cheapo skerton pro.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

MrEnigma posted:

How do you like it? I'm looking at one for my daughter so she can make decent coffee at her desk and it looks pretty good. She's using my old Zanzanhaus (sp?) right now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

silvergoose posted:

Oh I know things can get super expensive, just didn't know that people spend lots on hand grinders rather than electric. Fwiw I like my cheapo skerton pro.

Coffee people are weird. Really though the LIDO feels like it will last forever. My Baratza is like 4 years old and I wouldn't be surprised if it died any day now.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

silvergoose posted:

A trail of busted, broken, and twisted, skertons, javepresse, and other $30 hand grinders lay waste in my wake. I liked them and they made okay coffee, until they failed. Ceramic burrs? Shattered. Mysterious metal bits? How’d those get through there? Glass. Motherfucking glass. Yep. One grinder had a glass window into the bottom chamber where grounds fell. Had.

poo poo, I’ve had an electric that I would love to use, and it can make one shot before needing to be taken apart and cleaned. It’s useless. Oh, and about eight Sette 270s. That was fun. Barratza finally gave up on me and gave me all my money back after all those failures.

If anyone here wants to kill a grinder, send it to me. It won’t take long. And I’m not hard on things, it’s just my luck with grinders. I’m the Will Wheaton of coffee grinders. All ones.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ultimate Mango posted:

A trail of busted, broken, and twisted, skertons, javepresse, and other $30 hand grinders lay waste in my wake. I liked them and they made okay coffee, until they failed. Ceramic burrs? Shattered. Mysterious metal bits? How’d those get through there? Glass. Motherfucking glass. Yep. One grinder had a glass window into the bottom chamber where grounds fell. Had.

poo poo, I’ve had an electric that I would love to use, and it can make one shot before needing to be taken apart and cleaned. It’s useless. Oh, and about eight Sette 270s. That was fun. Barratza finally gave up on me and gave me all my money back after all those failures.

If anyone here wants to kill a grinder, send it to me. It won’t take long. And I’m not hard on things, it’s just my luck with grinders. I’m the Will Wheaton of coffee grinders. All ones.

So.....you've gone back to Folgers. Well played.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Have you tried roasting the beans first? :smuggo:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

On the topic of abusing grinders; I was a little lazy today.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tippecanoe posted:

Have you tried roasting the beans first? :smuggo:

I’m convinced that if I roasted at home I would burn down the neighborhood.

I buy from a local roaster who is really good. They did a Father’s Day promo where it was a hat or shirt free with each one pound bag of coffee!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

CopperHound posted:

On the topic of abusing grinders; I was a little lazy today.

Blessed and/or cursed image

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I did that every day for years with my old Hario (French press grind).

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

internet celebrity posted:

What do you think of it? Reviews I've read have been all over the place which is either a sign that the design is flawed or that 3rd wave coffee bloggers are literally impossible to please.

porktree posted:

How do you like it? I'm looking at one for my daughter so she can make decent coffee at her desk and it looks pretty good. She's using my old Zanzanhaus (sp?) right now.

I've used it 2-3 times only -- I backed it because at the time I was thinking I may use it, but ended up buying an electric one, so never wanted to take the time. It's really well built, nickel plated (I think they have a non-plated one as well), and the container is glass, everything feels secure. I think the kickstarter edition had a flaw in it, so you have to buy a kit to adjust it (which is ridiculous, but here we are). It's fairly large and not compact, but because of that it makes it easier to grind with as well. I think I have a porlex and a hario skerton plus (brand new) kicking around, I should make a sell thread.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

What's the deal with the Pebo/Santos and vacuum brewing in general? If it's been discussed in here I haven't been paying attention.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

It's full immersion brewing and thus unlikely to deliver really interesting/unique flavors of the origin, or at best it will present those flavors in a muddled manner. Less of an issue if you just like "coffee flavored coffee", dark roast or coffees with dominant notes like "nutty".

That said siphon brewers are a neat bit of theater

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gale does siphon brewing in Breaking Bad

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mu Zeta posted:

Gale does siphon brewing in Breaking Bad

Look where it got him.

Adbot