Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

How does the trilogy play out on the Switch? It’s on sale so I might buy it

If it's anything like the DS control system it plays really well. Certainly better than playing it on PC where it's pretty weird, controls-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Exactly as good as a phone port to switch will play, i.e. its fine but if you loved the sprites from the original versions and their animations theyre different (and arguably less good) now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If that's a problem then I'm assuming you'd hate the AA5/6 transition to 3d more, to be honest.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

If that's a problem then I'm assuming you'd hate the AA5/6 transition to 3d more, to be honest.

I don't see why, I love those but I do think the redrawn sprites are a bit ugly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The HD collection is honestly the best the redrawn sprites have ever looked and they're fine. They're basically literally different sprites from the very first iOS release.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

The HD collection is honestly the best the redrawn sprites have ever looked and they're fine. They're basically literally different sprites from the very first iOS release.

Yeah I heard that a big complaint about (lol) Turnabout Big Top for the iOS versions is that Ben doesn't move his lips while Trilo Quist is talking, giving the impression the puppet actually does talk instead of the intended joke of him being a rude rear end in a top hat via a doll.

This is fixed for the HD trilogy.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The redrawn sprites look so bad because they ignored line weights. It looks like somebody enlarged the sprite sheet in Photoshop, smoothed out the colored pixels, and traced over the lines with the pencil tool. No extra details, nothing outside of where the lines were in the original

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Have people who are complaining about the art actually seen the re-redrawn sprites for the HD collection

they fixed em, they look fine now

Well, except for poor judge. He still looks awful.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I only have the HD version. I can't believe it used to look worse.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

the judge looks incredibly high in all the remasters lol

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The judge constantly being high as gently caress explains a lot, but at this point can you really blame him? The poo poo he has to deal with

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Have people who are complaining about the art actually seen the re-redrawn sprites for the HD collection

they fixed em, they look fine now

Well, except for poor judge. He still looks awful.

I still think they look bad. Not as bad as the phone version but then they already fixed those for the 3DS version.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Color Printer posted:

The judge constantly being high as gently caress explains a lot, but at this point can you really blame him? The poo poo he has to deal with

i'm glad LA finally legalized it in 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I hope 456 comes out in HD because AJ's redrawn sprites are better despite me thinking the trilogy's are fine.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What do AJ's redrawn sprites look like? Because the original is still the prettiest game in the series, ahead of both the 3D entries and the remastered OG trilogy.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I was revisiting AJ again the other day and I gotta say I really am into those cross-hatch canvas-style openings to the case. I forget if it was just case 1 or if it had that as a unifying opener style tho

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Just 1 and maybe 4. But yeah, AJ was very much the "we can do FMV now" game

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Most of the HD sprites on Switch look fine. I was put off at first, but once I was back into the cases it didn’t bother me any longer. I do agree there’s some unfortunate exceptions usually when a character’s eyes/face are very shiny or “liquid,” something about it just didn’t work out too well in those instances. Beyond that though I think it’s worth it for folks who don’t want to drag out the DS/prefer the Switch for convenience reasons, and absolutely worth it for folks who would have to track down the old games.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What do AJ's redrawn sprites look like? Because the original is still the prettiest game in the series, ahead of both the 3D entries and the remastered OG trilogy.

Rewatching it right now, they're really good, the difference is at most marginal

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013

orenronen posted:

Regarding DGS chapter 4, DGS2 not-too-significant-but-still-definitely-spoilers:

There’s more to this chapter’s story, but the rest of it got pushed to the second game. Those two random characters that are never seen again are there for a reason.

Which two random characters?

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I definitely agree the most offputting part of the HD sprites is the way the eyes are rendered in some of them, which weren't a problem in the original because they were lower-res/less noticeable. Some of them seem to not be looking at the player in the visual novel scenes, and some of them look unintentionally intense.

That said it doesn't seem to be a problem with all of them so it's probably a minor consistency thing

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

My main problem with the HD trilogy is the huge text box cutting off a lot of the sprites, especially for small characters like Pearl or the kid from the Steel Samurai case.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

busysignal posted:

Which two random characters?

Unless something changed since the game was first released, DGS chapter 4 contains a short scene featuring two characters that are fully modeled but never appear again in the game and seem to have no relation to the case. They reappear in the second game in a case closely related to this chapter.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

orenronen posted:

Unless something changed since the game was first released, DGS chapter 4 contains a short scene featuring two characters that are fully modeled but never appear again in the game and seem to have no relation to the case. They reappear in the second game in a case closely related to this chapter.

DGS1 / technically DGS2 sorta Yeah I remember that scene, in front of the Garrideb house I think. I thought it was pretty weird that they were never mentioned again afterwards; there's also an inconsistency in the evidence I noticed that was never brought up. It makes sense that there's more to that case.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Oh yeah, I remember that now. It honestly didn't occur to me that there would be more to the case though, though it was sad that we never got to hear from Viridian herself at all. I guess that's gonna change in 2

Speaking of which, I'm trying to get into DGS2 with a youtube channel with subs but the player's going way too fast with the textboxes for me :( I guess I'll have to do a lot of pausing, since I really wanna find out how this ends.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Bloody Pom posted:

My main problem with the HD trilogy is the huge text box cutting off a lot of the sprites, especially for small characters like Pearl or the kid from the Steel Samurai case.

Isn't there an option to make it transparent? I only know that cuz literally everyone in the comment section of the recent GameGrumps playthrough has been yelling at them to turn it on.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You can make it a little translucent, which I would highly recommend because that's what the original games had as standard.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/JeremyBlaustein/status/1141355987019821056

T&T was localized by fax.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

T&T powered by AT&T

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When Square / Grin were on the last legs of their relationship Square demanded Grin send them a copy of the source code of the FF12 sequel they were working on.

By fax

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Barudak posted:

When Square / Grin were on the last legs of their relationship Square demanded Grin send them a copy of the source code of the FF12 sequel they were working on.

By fax

Given you can print to fax... I'm assuming that would have been more of a self-own on Square's part?

On topic, I've finally gotten around to Ace Attorney Investigations and it's notable how much I've missed Gumshore. And Byrde I guess. I'm not as keen on the Logic mechanic more because while I know what Edgey's meant to figure out it's not always obvious which two things to connect to get it. I'm sure after a bit of time playing I'll get into the swing of it, like I did for the standard AA games.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I remember getting stuck a couple times on the Investigations games, almost all of them by thinking way too hard or out of order so it's about there with the classics

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Investigations games were written by Yamazaki's team; the same people who did the 3DS games, who tend rather a bit more circumspect than the OT team.

In my current replay of the series, I played the 3DS games first, and coming back to the Original Trilogy after having played those makes it clear how the scripting is just a bit tighter in the Takumi games. I'm sure part of it is having played the games a jillion times, but there are definitely cases of the game accepting multiple valid pieces of evidence and lines of logic.

Though the worst offender is still the Luke Atmey testimony where the player is expected to assume that "that red diamond you received" was a reference to the stolen blue diamond and then disprove that assumption.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

TBH my overall impression is that the 3DS games felt more forgiving and clear about what you had to do, with some exceptions (SoJ case 2 with the clipboard comes to mind). I felt like I had more moments of frustration with the OT

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I agree, the exact claims being made in testimonies tend to be clearer in the 3DS cases, which makes it easier to identify where you can disprove something. There are several in the OT where you can easily see the contradiction but the testimony kindof talks around it and you have several pieces of evidence that are sortof related.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I'm working off memory but I think the frustration spots in the OT tended to come not from the testimonies but in the build-up sections where your character is going on a theory and you have to present evidence and I'm going "... i'm... not on the same train of thought, what're they talking about?"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Huh, maybe I'm the weirdo, then. I never had any trouble following Nick's train of thought in the OT (except that one testimony :argh:), but have had plenty of frustrating moments in the later games where a contradiction is obvious but the path to point it out is not.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

TBH I could see it either way, the latter games also have more mechanics that can make pointing out the contradictions real difficult sometimes like anytime a video is involved or some of the seances in 6.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Given you can print to fax... I'm assuming that would have been more of a self-own on Square's part?

It gets better if you believe the rest of Grins claim which is the code they sent back was for vanilla FF12 and Square sent them a disparaging note saying after reviewing the faxed code the game felt insufficiently like a final fantasy game and that Grin would need to make major changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Merilan posted:

TBH I could see it either way, the latter games also have more mechanics that can make pointing out the contradictions real difficult sometimes like anytime a video is involved or some of the seances in 6.

Sometimes the game would be unfairly dickish to you - during one of the bracelet sections I could clearly tell the "tell" was their middle finger vibrating slightly, but I kept trying again and again at different spots and eventually looked up a video online to see if I was going crazy and the dude who was doing a let's play / walkthrough was also struggling until he put the finger out of focus and more focused on the chest pocket behind the finger.

Sure enough, I focus on the chest behind the finger and only then does Apollo go "AHA! Your FINGER is twitching!"