Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

What's the advantage of having specific hiking pants instead of durable, well broken in jeans?

As well as what everyone else has said, good quality hiking trousers can be a lot cheaper (£20-£40) than a nice pair of jeans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If that came across as snarky, I'm sorry. I'm capable of walking around my mountain city these days but that's about all and asked to get a sense of how much they might be worth getting for my longer, most active days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hiked in jeans for my whole life and never had an issue, they were fine for me. Then a few years ago my wife convinced me to get some modern hiking pants and on the first day I was all "ok, these are way better".

The biggest upgrade I experienced is that the synthetic materials wear the same no matter what you got going on while denim stretches out and sags in hard use and gets stiff/crusty after it gets wet.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Same. I wear jeans year round. Even in 90F and 80% humidity. But light hiking pants are much nicer. Just them being so much lighter and breathable is nice. They increase my movement/agility and are less restricting which I don't care about while walking around my town.

I only have a few cheaper ones that I really need to hem but I have no idea how to do that. My sister probably can though. I'll look into it. :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty much any dry cleaning place will do hemming. You get some safety pins, put your pants on at home, fold a cuff to the right length and lock it in with safety pins. Then drop it off at the store and a few days later you got shorter pants.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Anyone have any suggestions for great hikes around Oslo or more generally southern Norway? Going in late August for a week and we are trying to plan our itinerary and figure out where we'd want to see. Currently leaning towards a few days around Bergen to try and get to some of the national parks in that area, but everything looks either fantastic or challenging and it's hard to get a sense of what is possible

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I found prAna zions on amazon for $70 CAD. Are they good pants for the money? The reviews seem pretty good. I'm upgrading from jeans. They suck because when I sit on a wet atv seat my butt gets wet. Are they good pants for keeping your butt dry when you sit on wet things?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
They're good pants, and they will dry a lot faster than denim, but they aren't waterproof. If you sit on a wet seat, your butt will get wet.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Thanks for the info. Before I spend money, does anyone make a pant with a waterproof butt seat and water resistant / breathable fabric everywhere else? If not I'll buy the zions. But I'll feel pretty stupid if I do and it turns out there's pants better suited for $80 or whatever.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

Thanks for the info. Before I spend money, does anyone make a pant with a waterproof butt seat and water resistant / breathable fabric everywhere else? If not I'll buy the zions. But I'll feel pretty stupid if I do and it turns out there's pants better suited for $80 or whatever.

I own a variety of pants in that price range, Patagonia, North Face, REI, OR, Icebreaker, Fjallraven, and none of them have a waterproof rear end. The only pants I have with a waterproof rear end is my Marmot and Patagonia rainpants. Even if my rear end is properly soaked the fabric dries so quickly on most of those that I've never had an issue for long.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alternative option: buy a sitting pad or use a tent groundsheet to make a dry spot to sit. The pads are cool because it means you don't have to hunt for a way to sit on a rock without something uncomfortably poking your rear.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Yeah, the last thing your rear end or crotch needs is to be behind waterproof pants.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

DreadLlama posted:

I found prAna zions on amazon for $70 CAD. Are they good pants for the money? The reviews seem pretty good. I'm upgrading from jeans. They suck because when I sit on a wet atv seat my butt gets wet. Are they good pants for keeping your butt dry when you sit on wet things?

They are good pants, but if you want something you can wear any time then get prana brions. They are very nice pants that look good for daily wear. Those big pockets on the Zion are more of a liability in stretchy pants imo. I carry a knife and that's sort of it.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Good thing I only asked a dumb question on the internet instead of spent hours looking for something that shouldn't exist. Thanks for the info. Instead of wear anytime pants, I'm looking more for, well specifically, pants for digging maple trees out from the side of the road before the municipality gets them with a brushcutter. I'd rather have pants that say "don't hit me with your car" if you know of any.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Wear a HI-VIS safety vest.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Yes. In addition, prAna zions. Thanks for the advice.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

DreadLlama posted:

Good thing I only asked a dumb question on the internet instead of spent hours looking for something that shouldn't exist. Thanks for the info. Instead of wear anytime pants, I'm looking more for, well specifically, pants for digging maple trees out from the side of the road before the municipality gets them with a brushcutter. I'd rather have pants that say "don't hit me with your car" if you know of any.

Consider getting one of these to throw down before you sit down:

https://www.thermarest.com/seating/seats/z-seat

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

khysanth posted:

Consider getting one of these to throw down before you sit down:

https://www.thermarest.com/seating/seats/z-seat

These are great. They weigh nothing, waterproof, insulated, and fold small enough to strap to the outside of a day pack. Can also be used to fan fires, create cooking windblocks, or kneel in mud/snow.

We carry ours on any long-ish day hike now just to sit and eat lunch. We even took them on snowshoeing trips and just sat down in the snow to rest. Pretty versatile for $15.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Haha 2oz. That's another shot of liquor!

On overnights or multiday trips, I'll use one of my waterproof stuff sacks, which usually contain clothes so they're puffy and I'm carrying them anyway. For day hikes, I'll just sit on my goretex pants. Usually I just stand; sitting down means not wanting to get up again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hey hiking goons, can I get some advice on how the gently caress to buy well fitting hiking boots?

I'm not doing a ton of back country adventuring or anything, but I would like to be able to hike for two consecutive days. I picked up a set of boots (that are getting returned now think) that seemed to fit really well, and I was wearing them around home/office/city for a week and a bit to try and break them in a little, but on the first day I took them out on a real incline, they promptly blistered big sections on the back of my heels, and my toes are not in the best shape either.

I would assume it's not normal for boots to do this, but my old boots did it to, and I'm curious if it's something I'm doing wrong in the sizing or something.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
If it is not stupid cold, wet or snowy, get some trail runners. Salomon are pretty popular, but whatever you find that fits will be much more forgiving at the expense of longevity. Your feet will get wet no matter what you do, might as well let them breath some more and have less weight to carry.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Plugging my favorite poo poo that you should at least try on because they’ve been time tested as poo poo:

Merrell Moab.

E: also shoes aren’t the only consideration when avoiding blisters. You get what you pay for with socks, too. My Merrell’s needed zero break in, they were good to go 10 miles out of the box.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 18, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes poo poo just don't work on your feet. Just because everyone else swears by them doesn't mean they will suit you too.. so if the boots hurt after a reasonable effort to break them in, you gotta find new boots.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I always vote for trail runners but sometimes you just want boots especially if you only have one pair of hiking footwear.

I don't think I ever got blisters in my Moabs. Then again I don't blister easily so your mileage might vary. They are great boots for the price though.
Are they super robust, no. Extremely waterproof? No.
Comfortable out of the box? Yes.

Those or the Solomon boots that everyone raves about.

Honestly nothing beats trying them on and walking around a little in store. Making sure your heel gets locked in is key to preventing your foot from sliding around. Also keeping your feet dry. Damp feet blister and rip open vey easily.

First get a boot that fits length, then width and volume. Supplement with different insoles if needed to compensate for arch support and then finish with good socks (wool). You want some space up front to prevent toe strike on downhill as well.

Also, some boots can be stretched or punched if you have hot spots in very specific areas. Rei stores can do this I believe, and most cobblers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can get waterproof Moab's now, and you have to make sure to read the label because they look the same. I don't think they're true waterproof either, they just use that chemical coating that's everywhere now.

But somehow they're sweat lockers, your feet start to swim after a day in them. Non waterproof? Breathes great.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Hey hiking goons, can I get some advice on how the gently caress to buy well fitting hiking boots?

I'm not doing a ton of back country adventuring or anything, but I would like to be able to hike for two consecutive days. I picked up a set of boots (that are getting returned now think) that seemed to fit really well, and I was wearing them around home/office/city for a week and a bit to try and break them in a little, but on the first day I took them out on a real incline, they promptly blistered big sections on the back of my heels, and my toes are not in the best shape either.

I would assume it's not normal for boots to do this, but my old boots did it to, and I'm curious if it's something I'm doing wrong in the sizing or something.

How rigid are the uppers on these boots and how stiff vs. flexible are the soles?

Ideally, to prevent heel blisters, you would minimize heel slip (your heel sliding up the back of the boot when you walk, especially uphill). And to do this, you need a well fitting heel cup and more importantly a really securely fitting instep so that when your boots are laced your foot is prevented from sliding up. In practice, finding a pair of boots that fits your heel and instep well enough to eliminate heel slip, while also fitting your toes well, is really hard.

Flexible soled boots will bend with your foot as you walk, while stiff soled boots will force your heel to slide up inside the boot. So protip #1 for reducing heel blisters is to pick boots with as flexible soles as possible

Boots with stiff/rigid uppers (especially around the heel cup) will cause more friction when your heel does slip, so protip #2 is to pick boots with soft/flexible uppers.

Unless you really need stiffer boots for snow/ice and crampon compatibility, just getting flexible soled, soft boots that fit comfortably will go a long way to avoiding heel blisters. If you already are using flexible soled and soft boots, and they are causing problems, you can try to gauge heel slip by walking up stairs or standing with your toes on a step or ledge and raising/lowering yourself with your calves. But in general, I've found there is no good way to gauge heel problems besides taking boots for a hike. My personal experience is that, for sufficiently flexible and soft boots that are comfortably sized, heel blisters aren't a problem, whereas for stiffer boots even the tiniest problem can completely flay my heels after a mile.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

xzzy posted:

You can get waterproof Moab's now, and you have to make sure to read the label because they look the same. I don't think they're true waterproof either, they just use that chemical coating that's everywhere now.

But somehow they're sweat lockers, your feet start to swim after a day in them. Non waterproof? Breathes great.

Mine are waterproof and I’m fine on sweat if I wear the right socks. I messed up once and wore cotten socks in them once and holy crap I will never do that again.

The proofing in my experience has been great, though. I can walk through a stream and as long as it doesn’t go over my ankle my feet stay totally dry.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Thanks for the advice all, I do love the suggestion of trail runners, they would normally be my go to except I am honestly really enjoying the ankle support these boots give me. I've had some pretty bad rolls on my one side last year, and it's been nice having that to back me up. The rest of the boot qualities I don't really care about at all.

Sock wise I've been wearing Darn Tough, these particular pair were second time use, specifically because I didn't want to go into it with crappy socks. The boots were these guys I think, if anybody has strong feelings about Oboz I'd love to hear it: [https://obozfootwear.com/en-ca/products/mens-bridger-vent-mid-waterproof-1

Is there any trick to lacing them to minimize foot movement? Is the rule 'as tight as possible'? Does sound like I just need to try another set of boots though.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 18, 2019

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

PittTheElder posted:

Is there any trick to lacing them to minimize foot movement? Is the rule 'as tight as possible'? Does sound like I just need to try another set of boots though.

No the rule is as tight as needed. You want your foot secure and ankle braced, but compressing the foot further can cause circulation, and consequently temperature and comfort, issues. You want some space in front of your toes so that you don't continually jam your toes into the end of the toe box and loose nails. My feet are all sorts of wonky (collapsed arches, a neuroma) and if I crank down on them too hard they go numb and painful at the same time. Fitting boots can be difficult as a result.

Take your time to do the research and talk to the folks at the outdoor store for proper sizing and fitting. I'm right now in a pair of Vasque Talus Trek Ultradrys that took no time to break in (also no time to fully soak) with softer soles that I don't love but they do their work well.

My last pair of Vasques were almost identical to Scarpa Kailashes and had a harder sole and turned my feet into hamburger on their first 14k trek, but once broken in were amazingly supportive and lasted ten years of heavy year round use.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 18, 2019

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Liner socks have helped me somewhat when it comes to blisters.

Honestly, I have just started preemptively putting leukotape where I know I get blisters if I'm going on a steep hike. Works perfectly. It's probably a sign I haven't found the right boot yet, but I have yet to wear a pair that doesn't give me heel blisters on really steep hikes. Maybe I just have weird shaped feet and/or gait.

But yeah, leukotape is great and cheap. Highly recommended.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
When I was in boot camp everyone wore thick cotton socks and a bunch of people got blisters. I lost mine and you just kinda have to figure stuff out or else bad stuff happens. By necessity I had to wear my dress socks. Those just happened to be great and I never got a single blister. I'm guessing liner socks are similar.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Crosspostin

Was on an excellent date Wednesday that wound up on top of Mt Evans at sunset. Absolutely gorgeous view.

Yesterday I was with some friends fishing, got a nice catch but we got absolutely dumped on.

And Thursday I took off to knock out Grizzly Peak. It's only 13 and change but the roller-coaster like elevation profile and remaining above 12k on snow and rocks kicked my rear end. Got a late start and spent the last hour or so of the hike in absolutely brutal wind and snow that pushed me back or to the side.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:stare: Wow.

I'm going on a short 4.4 mile hike later. It's going to rain for the next foreseeable future so this is my last chance in a while. It's at Bong (heh) State Recreational Area which really blows. The flat part of Wisconsin where there are no hills and it's only prairie, if you could call it that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Freaking awesome!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I broke my solo night hike cherry last night to get to a ridge for sunrise. It's not super remote (you can see roads in the picture) but there's no beaten trail either and for a first timer I wanted something tame.. no technical poo poo just me trying not to poo poo myself. I think calling out to bears did less to keep me safe and more to keep me from turning into a cry baby and turning around.

Perfect sunrise, either nature is rewarding me or is setting me up for a huge smack down when I do Smutwood up in Banff later this week.

(Castle Reef in Montana)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That second shot is breathtaking

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

seriously, that's an incredible photo

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

George H.W. oval office posted:

:yeah:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a no gear required route to get up on top of it too, so there's way more hiking to do through there.

Montana is known for epic scenes but that canyon was a huge surprise, it's not a secret but it doesn't get crowds either and most trails are not established. Hesitant to crow about it outside paid forums to keep the filthy masses out. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

great pics!