Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nessus posted:

How come sometimes my temp powers, like Sands of Mu, are blanked out in Summer Blockbuster... and sometimes, they are not?

I think they're supposed to be blocked all the time so you can't fire nuclear missiles at ancient Rome, but sometimes it fails? I've noticed it more in the heists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I started my Demon/Thermal MM because the concept amused me and I heard they were strong for AVs. But how is demon AoE? Is it decent for clearing large packs or is it mostly single target?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I rolled a sonic/dark blaster last night and it felt....... awful

Probably gonna just go dark/dark but I had never tried sonic before. Seems like it sucks?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

halfhazardKnight posted:

It's not a permanent state of affairs, but basically you just build for recharge until Inner Light is permanently up. Also, put the Gaussian chance for build up IO in it. Due to how the procs per minute algorithm doesn't count recharge buffs to determine the odds that the proc will fire means that as long as its enhanced recharge is around 60s, the proc will fire every time, aligned roughly with your nuke.

Also as above, t4 clarion has a 120s duration and a fixed 120s cooldown, and Light Form will also recharge before it ends once you have enough recharge for keeping inner light up. Peacebringers are incredibly hardy, especially with their knock off instant regen and dull pain. Their only real issue, aside from having to devote slots to knockback to knockdown, is that they have to take pool provoke to take advantage of that hardiness in teams.

Seems a bit disingenuous to equate "can get build up" to "camp out at your damage cap" lol.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Nonexistence posted:

Seems a bit disingenuous to equate "can get build up" to "camp out at your damage cap" lol.

I was thinking the same thing, but he's not too far off if their damage cap is 400% (can't remember).
Base 100% enhancements, 200% from perma inner light plus Gaussian, plus misc other IOs.
So my PB build I had from live was sitting at 312% out of 400%.

Also he killed slower than basically any scrapper it felt like but I didn't measure.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

kumba posted:

Probably gonna just go dark/dark but I had never tried sonic before. Seems like it sucks?

Sonic's raw damage isn't great, but it debuffs resistance so more net damage. A good choice if you team a lot.

Dark/dark is good if you solo a lot; every attack debuffs tohit, add in some defense you're quite safe.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nessus posted:

How come sometimes my temp powers, like Sands of Mu, are blanked out in Summer Blockbuster... and sometimes, they are not?

sometimes your leader disabled temp powers to increase the rewards and sometimes they didn't

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How bad of an idea is trying to make a human-only Peacebringer? Because I made a dope costume for mine and I want to play as that guy instead of a glowing space squid. Or is that just missing the point of making a PB in the first place?

kumba posted:

Sonic probably isn't great on a Blaster. On a Defender, though, where damage isn't your main job, its built-in -res debuffs are amazing to boost your team's damage.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 18, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sonic is fine on Blasters. A Sonic Blaster was one of my few 50s ever. It becomes a game of stacking Defiance + -Res effects before dropping a secondary melee T9 and deleting a dude.

Sonic/ is also a pretty good solo blaster set, since you've got a wide-area sleep with a good long duration you can use to carefully pick your way through packs larger than you would normally be able to.

If you play /Sonic on a defender, I recommend you take a set-and-forget primary.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 18, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Hakarne posted:

So I started my Demon/Thermal MM because the concept amused me and I heard they were strong for AVs. But how is demon AoE? Is it decent for clearing large packs or is it mostly single target?

I blew through +1/x3 groups until I was 30 with my Demon/Traps MM.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If you play /Sonic on a defender, I recommend you take a set-and-forget primary.

Kinetics makes a great pair with it. Drop Fulcrum Shift and then get to work cratering enemy resistances while your team melts everything in sight.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I have a /regen scrapper and while I know it’s not a great set I love the theme and idea behind it. I’m reaching the 40s now and wondering what ancillary / pool powers I should be taking to shore up my defences etc.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Harrow posted:

How bad of an idea is trying to make a human-only Peacebringer? Because I made a dope costume for mine and I want to play as that guy instead of a glowing space squid. Or is that just missing the point of making a PB in the first place?

It works. It's a little annoying, especially early on when you have kinda gently caress-all for an attack chain, but you're basically a pseudo-Sentinel who also gets some solid melee attacks along the way. Eventually you can do perma-Light Form shenanigans and generally be unkillable while spamming nukes and stuff but I'm not as familiar with that side of it.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Sonic/Sonic was a fun Corrupter but dear god the sound effects are bad. That train whistle is so grating. Didn't help that I had the character all built up like a banshee and she sounded more like Amtrak.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harrow posted:

Sonic probably isn't great on a Blaster. On a Defender, though, where damage isn't your main job, its built-in -res debuffs are amazing to boost your team's damage.

Human only PB is the objectively superior PB build at 50 with IOs and Incarnating. Triform is better until then.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jazerus posted:

sometimes your leader disabled temp powers to increase the rewards and sometimes they didn't
It varies wildly! Like last night when I ran - an exciting adventure, I'll add, when one of the four people in the group is an Illusion/Empathy honest healer - I had them locked out through the first boss in the heist, then they worked for the rest of heist, and then they didn't work at all for Rome Town.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

All based off this awesome most power metal thing ever.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

It works. It's a little annoying, especially early on when you have kinda gently caress-all for an attack chain, but you're basically a pseudo-Sentinel who also gets some solid melee attacks along the way. Eventually you can do perma-Light Form shenanigans and generally be unkillable while spamming nukes and stuff but I'm not as familiar with that side of it.

Kheldians in general you want to level as Tri-Form, but it's not 100% necessarily especially if you're mostly grouping. At 50, they get peak performance out of being Human-only.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Human only PB is the objectively superior PB build at 50 with IOs and Incarnating. Triform is better until then.

Exactly this.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've started a Dark/Storm Corrupter because I've wanted to make a Storm SOMETHING for ages, even on live.
I got a Storm Defender up to 30 before but people would boot me from groups for not being EMP or RAD.

Hopefully people have chilled out and have more leniency with a Corr.

Edit: lmao no one had the name "Illusion of Time" soooooo gotta make a new Troller.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 19, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

Edit: lmao no one had the name "Illusion of Time" soooooo gotta make a new Troller.

Imagine the four balls from Radiation blast's sniper attack on the edge of a cliff. Time works the same way.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
We just did two Hami raids with no wave clearing. Destroy initial mitos, drop Lore, pound nucleus to zero in less than 60 seconds.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Dude in the video was brunette and had a beard; your guy is blonde and clean shaven. 6/10.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I was listening to that power metal song, and just letting youtube play the next songs without curating it.

Then the Wind Rose cover of "Diggy diggy hole" came on and I ended up making a dwarf and pasting the lyrics into my bio.

So really, it's your fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34CZjsEI1yU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Crasical posted:

Dude in the video was brunette and had a beard; your guy is blonde and clean shaven. 6/10.

:negative:

khy posted:

I was listening to that power metal song, and just letting youtube play the next songs without curating it.

Then the Wind Rose cover of "Diggy diggy hole" came on and I ended up making a dwarf and pasting the lyrics into my bio.

So really, it's your fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34CZjsEI1yU

He can hang out with my Dwarf, Urist McUrist.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 19, 2019

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

ded posted:

I named my farmer Garbage.

Did I do this right?

That would have been perfect for the days when you could round up a whole map and just hop into a dumpster to let your auras do the work.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

For a rad/fire farmer brute, should I pick up Weave or just rely on purples and Burn for defense / immobilize resistance? Boxing and Kick seem to do basically the same damage as Contaminated Strike which is *ok*, but Weave has pretty anemic base defense and it seems that I might get better mileage out of other powers given that you need to spend three power choices on it.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Thundarr posted:

For a rad/fire farmer brute, should I pick up Weave or just rely on purples and Burn for defense / immobilize resistance? Boxing and Kick seem to do basically the same damage as Contaminated Strike which is *ok*, but Weave has pretty anemic base defense and it seems that I might get better mileage out of other powers given that you need to spend three power choices on it.

On my Staff/Fire Brute I didn't bother trying to get higher Defense and just loaded 8 small purples in my tray before every run, popped 4 at the start, then relied on drops for the rest. Gets easier and more reliable as you level up and get more abilities and a larger inspiration tray. I also recommend just disabling everything but reds and purples if you're like me and hate playing Inspiration Tetris.

Once you get to lvl 50, you can then make a proper build and aim for higher or soft-capped Fire Defense. By then you probably will have enough money to actually afford some of the cheaper sets too. Even just reaching 20% Fire Defense will make your life easier, since at that point 2 small purples will already cap you.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

There's some parts of i25 I'm not thrilled with. Null the gull is one of them. I like the whole going rogue stuff, and the vigilante/ rogue system is great, but I sort of feel like an npc doing it instantly for free kind of cheapens it.

I suspect the community might not feel the same, though. I see it as trivializing and cheapening the content but I suspect they prefer the convenience to working through the normal alignment switch methods, with tips and all.

What do goons think?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

khy posted:

There's some parts of i25 I'm not thrilled with. Null the gull is one of them. I like the whole going rogue stuff, and the vigilante/ rogue system is great, but I sort of feel like an npc doing it instantly for free kind of cheapens it.

I suspect the community might not feel the same, though. I see it as trivializing and cheapening the content but I suspect they prefer the convenience to working through the normal alignment switch methods, with tips and all.

What do goons think?

If you mean the instant side switching, I like it. The sole reason that City of Villains was created was because players were clamoring to play Mistress Darkity Dark. Once people got that out of their system, the whole red side didn't have much point.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I for one think that adding 11 missions or whatever before you can change what half of the world you play on when only one of them really has that much population is really boring and I'm okay with just saying gently caress it you alignment/morality nonsense

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah, I like being able to switch sides as I want.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Having the option to insta-switch and having the alignment missions be worth 40 merits is about the best of both worlds as you can get. You're not screwed if someone's calling for content you want to do on the wrong side, but the alignment system is still worth doing since it's about the most casual method to get rewards that doesn't require you to be in a storyarc/TF/Trial/etc.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

The content for switching is still there, and it's super convenient to just pop over to join a goon team or do the arc for the villain power pools, and then pop back.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Merilan posted:

Having the option to insta-switch and having the alignment missions be worth 40 merits is about the best of both worlds as you can get. You're not screwed if someone's calling for content you want to do on the wrong side, but the alignment system is still worth doing since it's about the most casual method to get rewards that doesn't require you to be in a storyarc/TF/Trial/etc.

Yeah 40 merits for 11 missions is an amazingly good deal. Most arcs that run about 9 missions in my experience give like.. 15ish.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

khy posted:

What do goons think?

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/status/

Check this out. When I posted it there were 760 heroes compared to 185 villains on Indomitable.

If this was a live game with millions of subscribers still, Null the Gull might be overkill (although I still think the live requirements to switch were excessive). But in our private server world that magical seagull is probably the only reason you have a chance to do a lot of group content villain-side.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also tips don't exist pre-20 so you straight-up couldn't go rogue before that point. For roleplayers who already know their character is grey morality, that's an annoying amount of time to wait on top of the 11 missions (and reminder that originally you could only do 5 tips per day).

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

khy posted:

What do goons think?

I'd agree with you, but its certainly going to be a minority opinion. i25 has a ton of content shortcuts of a similar nature, which most players will regard as unequivocal improvements, but which imo serve to weaken the content-progression relationship which lies at the core of the play cycle of persistent world rpgs. That tends to be a very unpopular perspective though, and the vast majority of mmo players will always come down on the side of increased player convenience in any debate of that nature.

It's a pretty longstanding problem in mmo design. This 2004 essay by Richard Bartle has some interesting (and prescient) takes on how the conflict of short term convenience vs long term investment would come to impact the genre.
https://mud.co.uk/richard/OtherPlayers.pdf

I don't really want to get bogged down in the specifics of how the simplification of alignment changes would affect homecoming in particular, but I would say the idea that removing friction from switching sides helps out the less populous faction is somewhat wrongheaded.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Also Hero Stats works again for I25. The author has a thread on the homecoming forums:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,4972.0.html

I never used it - does this mean I can have some kind of alert/tracker for recasting buffs (e.g. Hasten, Destiny incarnates etc)?

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
Several pages back, I saw people talking about headless characters and, well...

I couldn't make up my mind what he should be, so I made two of him. Roboskull is a Dark/Elec Dom, and RoboskuII (capital i for the Ls) is a Dark/Elec Brute. Both are fun, but the Dom has too many botans.

LaserShark fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Given the number of people running farms, plotting out systems-shattering set layouts, and that post earlier about dropping Hami in record time, a shortcut to let people play where they want to seems awfully small potatoes.