Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Just gotta be patient, keep everyone in the back row, only bother attacking with your one character with the flail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Got my first quad-WM start this year. Tedious, but at least things should pick up now that I have my 'zerkers.

Kinda tempted to just not roll my other jobs, and play through with three berserkers and a nanny.

I suspect Byblos would make me regret that, though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
One thing as far as resources/guides go, is there any list of good grind spots throughout a run? I know there's the money dogs, and prototypes and later shield dragons if you have !control, but is there any good list of such spots? Noticed sometimes I have a party that breezes through w1/2 well enough that I don't think to stop to level much then kind of feel really underpowered for chunks of w3.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
So I've never beat this game before... I just got the water crystal and Beserker.

Am I in trouble?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

+1 for the Zerker camp. What's the recommended mix of zerkers and white mages for the steamship?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

So I've never beat this game before... I just got the water crystal and Beserker.

Am I in trouble?

No. One berserker is fine and in fact quite useful (good damage, death scythe). It's only when Risk forces you to use many of them that it becomes an issue, and that's mainly on particular bosses with counters and such.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Plus, honestly, Blue Mage covers a lot of holes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zerilan posted:

One thing as far as resources/guides go, is there any list of good grind spots throughout a run? I know there's the money dogs, and prototypes and later shield dragons if you have !control, but is there any good list of such spots? Noticed sometimes I have a party that breezes through w1/2 well enough that I don't think to stop to level much then kind of feel really underpowered for chunks of w3.

Not sure of a list, but a few other areas of note.

* Bal Basement, Statues give good AP and cash. L5 Death, Thunder magic, and Gold Needles wreck them.

* Undersea Trench is great if you've got White Mage or Bard.

* Top floor of castle (room between Hali and Twin) has Iron Giants. Pain to kill but have highest EXP.

* Movers in Rift awesome for AP and cash, though they're right before the final boss so only really useful for the big three bosses.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Berserker is a good choice for Omega even, if you otherwise have a way to lock it down or keep up with the damage. Axes can cut through Omega's stupid high defense.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Zombie dragons in drakenvale are good, especially if you have anti-undead tech, but they drop 3k gold per kill including their dragon fang so you can just phoenix down them.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Zerilan posted:

Was accidentally a little late on the screenshot and just got the tail end, but "winnerrisk" completed with only tiny summer Lenna still hanging on.

Not sure if you intended it, but going to count this towards the "beat NED with one character alive" challenge made a couple pages ago. Great work! :) The tiny Lenna is a great detail, too.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
3/3 on Chemists this year

Re: Grinding, I find it to be very party specific, but I'm puzzled. Most of the time if I am having trouble it's for Meatdeath (and maybe Crystals). The power spike you get with the Chicken Knife and Hermes after the pyramids usually mean I'm good to go in W3 as long as I can take out Meatdeath.

derra fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 18, 2019

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
First time in the fiesta, and first time playing past the first world. I didn't even know there was a second world. Plot surprise!

I rolled Ninja / Freelancer / Dragoon /Beastmaster, so my run so far has been mashing the attack button, breaking rods and throwing anime wall scrolls.

Am I gonna have trouble with Omega with these guys? They feel pretty single minded as far as strategies go, apart from the crazy creatures I can throw away each boss.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Siminu posted:

First time in the fiesta, and first time playing past the first world. I didn't even know there was a second world. Plot surprise!

I rolled Ninja / Freelancer / Dragoon /Beastmaster, so my run so far has been mashing the attack button, breaking rods and throwing anime wall scrolls.

Am I gonna have trouble with Omega with these guys? They feel pretty single minded as far as strategies go, apart from the crazy creatures I can throw away each boss.

If you're playing the GBA version, the Beastmaster's !Calm ability can lock down Omega easily, so just have three of your guys spam that while the fourth one hurls lightning scrolls at it until it finally falls apart.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Siminu posted:

You might need some Hermes Sandals on your !Calm users

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Almost 24 hours and my first Exdeath kill hasn't been recorded. Submitted via Twitter and the website.

I used another Twitter account to start a run because I got impatient and Gilgabot punished me. First run was Winner + Berserker. Gilgabot have me Geomancer, White, Summoner, Freelancer. 2 jobs I just had. Was really hoping for something more interesting than my 1st run, but with a worse party.

Hopefully by the time I get through this run RK will have recognized the victory on my regular Twitter account.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

mp5 posted:

You might need some Hermes Sandals on your !Calm users

Well yeah, but if your first action as soon as they're available isn't to sell all the cruft in your inventory and buy four pairs of kicks, why are you even playing FFV?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Kyrosiris posted:

Well yeah, but if your first action as soon as they're available isn't to sell all the cruft in your inventory and buy four pairs of kicks, why are you even playing FFV?

look DAD I don't know if this is his first Fiesta or not so i'm just bein helpful

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hi, uh gently caress Archeoaevis!!?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Hi, uh gently caress Archeoaevis!!?

Geo wrecks his first forms, and I think Summoners can still use Chocobo on the last?

Chemist / Time / Black / Ninja, my god

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm up to the Fire Tornado with 4 monks.

Yeah I'm slow, just taking it chill.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I've been telling myself for about three years now that I was going to do a FJF run, and now I'm gonna do it.
Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to do it on the android version of the game, that's not a problem, is it?

Also, what's the recommend run configuration for someone who is doing this for the first time and hasn't actually played FF5 in forever?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

derra posted:

Geo wrecks his first forms, and I think Summoners can still use Chocobo on the last?

This is precisely how I beat him; !Gaia to death his first four forms and when he dies and revives, switch to Chocobo and spam that until he drops.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I've been telling myself for about three years now that I was going to do a FJF run, and now I'm gonna do it.
Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to do it on the android version of the game, that's not a problem, is it?

Also, what's the recommend run configuration for someone who is doing this for the first time and hasn't actually played FF5 in forever?

I strongly recommend doing normal or popular if you're not using the fiesta patch.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Shyfted One posted:

Almost 24 hours and my first Exdeath kill hasn't been recorded. Submitted via Twitter and the website.

I used another Twitter account to start a run because I got impatient and Gilgabot punished me. First run was Winner + Berserker. Gilgabot have me Geomancer, White, Summoner, Freelancer. 2 jobs I just had. Was really hoping for something more interesting than my 1st run, but with a worse party.

Hopefully by the time I get through this run RK will have recognized the victory on my regular Twitter account.

You can start a run while your previous one is verifying nowadays. I have had 2 submitted via Twitter (1 verified)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

derra posted:

My chocobo only did like 8 damage. I've been stabbing him but he keeps getting lucky and confusing heals outta me.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

derra posted:

:laffo: I see you rolled Team "Wins At Everything Forever"

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Shoehead posted:

My chocobo only did like 8 damage. I've been stabbing him but he keeps getting lucky and confusing heals outta me.

Only bust out Chocobo on the last form (when it dies and resurrects), not sure what level you are, I was level 19 and my Chocobo was doing 200 a pop, not great but better than knifing it to death.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kyrosiris posted:

I always buy three because I get the fourth one in the Rift Castle! (Yes I'm lame, shut up.)

Shinryu and Omega down with Knight / Zerk / Samurai / Cannoneer. NED goes down tonight!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

Thief(void), Zerk, Dancer, Oracle

I grinded, alot. I stole, alot. I quaked, alot.

The oracles live through almagest and the dancers don't, thats the only reason I have two of them.

Equip Axes carried me. Thor hammer on the Zerk with equip ribbons, 2 gaias on the oracles, rune axe on dancer(honestly didn't matter he was capping damage with anything).

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
If I knew Gilgabot was going to give me White Mage to start and then follow up with getting Geomancer on the water crystal I would've stuck with a regular run instead of an Advance run, jesus

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Mega64 posted:

Not sure of a list, but a few other areas of note.

* Undersea Trench is great if you've got White Mage or Bard.

At the end of this there's also a place where you can refill Magic Lamp and so you can grind with that. Bahamut and Leviathan are usually good enough for one battle and then Odin gets another. It works for every team.

Very, very situationally useful information but it could be useful to someone maybe.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Recently got back from Japan and went to a Square Enix Cafe that had random FFV job buttons in sealed boxes you could buy.

So obviously I bought 4 and am going to job fair my run into these jobs! Somehow I still got Berserker, but Summoner->Mystic Knight->Berserker->Knight (the order I opened the boxes in) should be reaaaaally easy, though maybe not the easiest triple crown?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh, hey, remember when I was complaining that my jobs were bad? I may have forgotten that slotting the core ability of a class transfers that classes main attribute score. Guess it's time for punch summoners.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
I beat this once like ten years ago, decided to give the fiesta a try. Here's hoping I get a good first job...

Four cool blue superhero masks come down from the sky

Yesssss

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

(GBA) I just wish Dark Spark was easier to stick on more bosses, I'm having a hard time using it to manipulate levels into level 5 death range.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Funktastic posted:

So I guess it's time for my donation pledge!

Since my first time beating FFV was through the 4JF I'll donate $1 per person (max $20)who also has their first run of FFV through the fiesta!

May be doubled later depending on my money situation.

:blastu:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

derra
Dec 29, 2012
https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/1141143690292924416

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Good work!

Run 2 START!

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Got my first quad-WM start this year. Tedious, but at least things should pick up now that I have my 'zerkers.

Kinda tempted to just not roll my other jobs, and play through with three berserkers and a nanny.

I suspect Byblos would make me regret that, though.

Turns out I rolled Mime for Fire, and Byblos is indeed making me regret having to go with three 'zerks and a nanny.