Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Borsche69 posted:

this sounds perfect

I wanna throw a javelin into a melee-only server from a normal server so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

jokes posted:

I wanna throw a javelin into a melee-only server from a normal server so badly.

As much as I love melee fights, I think a frontline/tdm without ranged weps would really be missing a bit of magic. Pulling a javelin from your shoulder and sending it sailing into the face of the guy that lobbed it -- killing enemies while getting peppered with arrows, the on-kill HP regen keeping you from dying, despite looking more and more like a human pincushion...

I have noticed that people play cavalry almost identically to mount&blade - as in, hitting people once from behind who are already engaged fighting, and then dipping regardless of whether they get the kill or not. I guess that kinda hit&run is probably the most effective use of horses, since stopping near enemies would be bad for your health - but the fact that they're so much harder to hit/kill with melee weapons is a bit of a bummer. It's also harder to see them coming in mordhau, compared to warband's zoomed-out third person. As a result most of my interaction with cavalry has been me saying "what just killed me outta nowhere?" Really, the only thing I'd change is to reduce the bump radius around the horse (which seems to be a common complaint), and add extra momentum damage for hits against riders that are hit while moving quickly. I'd say that they need louder hoofbeats so you can tell when they're up on you, but they might already and it's my dumb fault for listening to stuff while playing and having the game fairly quiet.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Telltolin posted:

I have noticed that people play cavalry almost identically to mount&blade - as in, hitting people once from behind who are already engaged fighting, and then dipping regardless of whether they get the kill or not. I guess that kinda hit&run is probably the most effective use of horses, since stopping near enemies would be bad for your health - but the fact that they're so much harder to hit/kill with melee weapons is a bit of a bummer. It's also harder to see them coming in mordhau, compared to warband's zoomed-out third person. As a result most of my interaction with cavalry has been me saying "what just killed me outta nowhere?" Really, the only thing I'd change is to reduce the bump radius around the horse (which seems to be a common complaint), and add extra momentum damage for hits against riders that are hit while moving quickly. I'd say that they need louder hoofbeats so you can tell when they're up on you, but they might already and it's my dumb fault for listening to stuff while playing and having the game fairly quiet.

The hoofbeats are pretty loud, might just be me though

Really I think the horses need to be slowed or stop when stabbed from the front by a polearm but otherwise they're not so bad as long as people pay attention to them and take a swing at them or throw things at them. Actually if everyone did this reliably horses would be extremely underpowered because you wouldn't make it around the arena once.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I'd be good with a big stamina hit after every lancing kill. Get three in a row without a break and your drop your spear.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

Really I think the horses need to be slowed or stop when stabbed from the front by a polearm but otherwise they're not so bad as long as people pay attention to them and take a swing at them or throw things at them. Actually if everyone did this reliably horses would be extremely underpowered because you wouldn't make it around the arena once.

If you take a swing it leaves you wide open to getting insta-wrecked by them, and even if that doesn't happen you'll get flinched out of your attack animation nine times out of ten. I still do it because I hate them so much, but it's not very cost-effective.

Throwing poo poo at them is sound, though

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

If you take a swing it leaves you wide open to getting insta-wrecked by them, and even if that doesn't happen you'll get flinched out of your attack animation nine times out of ten. I still do it because I hate them so much, but it's not very cost-effective.

Throwing poo poo at them is sound, though

true but if they're not specifically targeting you it's pretty easy to get a good swing or thrust in

regardless it's better than doing what most people do, which is nothing

across pretty much every multiplayer game far too many players let their opponents do whatever they want with no counterplay. like I can get biting on feints all the time but even if you suck (I suck!) you can do SOMETHING

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah my big go to is grabbing my billhook class and hiding by a wall. Some games i'll just go "gently caress horses" and spend the entire game doing it.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

They messed with something in this last patch with horses. I can't begin to list all the times I've stabbed my billhook or other weapon through rider and horse and made it not register. It happened occasionally before the last patch, but it's happening a lot more now. I don't think it's lag because it can happen when the horse is charging at me or standing still, sometimes it just seems like both horse and rider are incorporeal.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I've noticed more frequent instances of weapon geometry intersecting players with registering hits as well, horses or otherwise. I usually have a somewhat mediocre ping in the 60-80ms range on official servers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want a weapon that has an alt mode that instantly rips a shield off but takes off 90% of your stamina. I use shields sometimes but it is upsetting lopping heads off and then a nerd with a little shield blocks your glorious charge and now you have to gently caress with this stupid puzzle of a human.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I feel shields should start to splinter after repeat blows, eventually breaking

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Sure, if peoples swords start blunting every time they slice against heavy armour :colbert:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Fight barbie.

Need to spend more on the sword now though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DarkDobe posted:

Fight barbie.

Some aggressive recoloring could make this a Knight of Mothra

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

DarkDobe posted:

Fight barbie.

Likin' the logo

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Personally, I don't like hoods with helmets, but clearly, most players on any given server disagree with me! No idea if they are doing that for style reasons, or as silly minmaxing (can't tell if they have a helmet from the sides or back). Here's my current favourite character, though! Add twinblades to mordhau please

I'm addicted to playing dodge, live fast die fast. You could easily play armored/helmeted Thanos.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 18, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011

Captainicus posted:

Personally, I don't like hoods with helmets, but clearly, most players on any given server disagree with me! No idea if they are doing that for style reasons, or as silly minmaxing (can't tell if they have a helmet from the sides or back). Here's my current favourite character, though! Add twinblades to mordhau please

I'm addicted to playing dodge, live fast die fast. You could easily play armored/helmeted Thanos.

It's always because it looks 12 year old rule of cool, as evidenced by the server I was in last night being wall to wall Domed Armet + Hood on one team. Begun, the clone wars have.

And that's a good Thanos.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Captainicus posted:

Shame you can't get only one glove (like with the spaulders/pauldrons, etc.) and then colour it gold! :D Very nice though, aside from that

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah the domed armet + hood look is basically 50% of all people on any given server.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Telltolin posted:

As much as I love melee fights, I think a frontline/tdm without ranged weps would really be missing a bit of magic. Pulling a javelin from your shoulder and sending it sailing into the face of the guy that lobbed it -- killing enemies while getting peppered with arrows, the on-kill HP regen keeping you from dying, despite looking more and more like a human pincushion...

Horses also accelerate way too fast. This could just be fixed by forcing dismount if you run your horse full speed into a wall, but if it at least took the horse a second to get up to speed then people could actually attack the drat thing.

It also pisses me off to see a horse ram itself into the world spikes on maps like Camp and suffer no damage. Why even model that stuff into the terrain, I'd rather you just have a normal wall.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

jokes posted:

I want a weapon that has an alt mode that instantly rips a shield off but takes off 90% of your stamina. I use shields sometimes but it is upsetting lopping heads off and then a nerd with a little shield blocks your glorious charge and now you have to gently caress with this stupid puzzle of a human.

I would settle for a weapon that unbinds the target's S key.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Borsche69 posted:

I would settle for a weapon that unbinds the target's S key.

I discovered that most people expect you to back up, while not many expect you to sprint past them and whip around 180° to face their backs

I'm slowly learning footwork and even with heavy armor it makes one hell of a difference

on a related note, I should stop playing while high, yesterday I spent 30 minutes straight getting walloped repeatedly in a duel server that was marked "Novice & intermediate" ending up something like 4:25, I shudder to think what would happen in a full "experts only" server

also there were people dressed in white refereeing individual duels and throwing medic bags at wounded people after a duel. There was a super good guy in the central fenced area on Camp and people were lining up to try and kill him while the referees decided whose turn it was to get stomped. It was really cool.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah the domed armet + hood look is basically 50% of all people on any given server.

I have a suit with hood + hounskull, just to stick out

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Make shooting the ballista require a captcha.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

McSpanky posted:

I have a suit with hood + hounskull, just to stick out

:dadjoke:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

If you want to make people really mad on castle, sneak onto the castle as red when blue is holding the middle point and get on the ballista and start shooting them in the back.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I keep seeing people complain about crossroads as a frontline map. I really don't get it! It's honestly one of my favorite frontline maps. The fact that the primary objective is so small and vertical is fun. With a couple engineers you can turn it into a proper fort, too. I think most people choose the spawn that's far-away from the treehouse in the middle or something. There are a ton of different inlets and different ways to assault the objective. You can be effective hiding under the stairs and chopping the feet off of any unsuspecting attackers, heading over the top on beams - when there are a lot of people hitting the objective it gets real crazy. I hardly ever see cavalry on that map also, since horses are bad at climbing trees. But it's usually funny when they try!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/6Uus0Aq.mp4
:laugh:

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
lmao

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
the loving parry

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

mellowjournalism posted:

the loving parry

gotta get that timing down

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

do the hitboxes on that work? that is, if you stand in the right spot, can you buster keaton it?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

mellowjournalism posted:

the loving parry

He's just canceling his attack using parry instead of feint.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Azerban posted:

do the hitboxes on that work? that is, if you stand in the right spot, can you buster keaton it?

Now that you mentioned it, I sure as poo poo intend to find out!

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Phlegmish posted:

He's just canceling his attack using parry instead of feint.

yep

also known as a parry

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Hit level 50 tonight and also saw for the first time what was either cheating, or extreme exploitation. Dude was level 71, so I'm betting on exploitation, but he was alternating between the Messer and the Bardiche and the only way I can describe it is constant laser quick combos that I would have thought were impossible due to the glancing blows mechanics. On the Messer I was like, "Ehh, it's a fast weapon and he's one of those toe-lookers, maybe it's legit." But when he busted out the Bardiche and would just snap around instantly on people, something was definitely fucky.

I play with a super high sensitivity due to my odd playing setup, and I use both those weapons, and while I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, I feel like I know roughly how fast you can accel both weapons and this was not that. I'm struggling to find the words to describe it, but it felt like he was playing about about 2x speed with glancing blows turned off. Maybe he was turning super fast and somehow starting the weapon swing blind half way through? I don't know, but it was either cheating or an inhuman level of awareness and reaction.

I also think he was part of a team because there seemed to be a coordinated effort to throw smoke, and he and several other people didn't seemed to be bothered by it in the slightest.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

cerebral posted:

Hit level 50 tonight and also saw for the first time what was either cheating, or extreme exploitation. Dude was level 71, so I'm betting on exploitation, but he was alternating between the Messer and the Bardiche and the only way I can describe it is constant laser quick combos that I would have thought were impossible due to the glancing blows mechanics. On the Messer I was like, "Ehh, it's a fast weapon and he's one of those toe-lookers, maybe it's legit." But when he busted out the Bardiche and would just snap around instantly on people, something was definitely fucky.

I play with a super high sensitivity due to my odd playing setup, and I use both those weapons, and while I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, I feel like I know roughly how fast you can accel both weapons and this was not that. I'm struggling to find the words to describe it, but it felt like he was playing about about 2x speed with glancing blows turned off. Maybe he was turning super fast and somehow starting the weapon swing blind half way through? I don't know, but it was either cheating or an inhuman level of awareness and reaction.

I also think he was part of a team because there seemed to be a coordinated effort to throw smoke, and he and several other people didn't seemed to be bothered by it in the slightest.

The only thing I can think of is if they were a server admin? Since I've seen someone turn up the overall server speed (no idea if it can be done on a player-by-player basis) like, x2 and x4 on various occasions, which led to similar situations to what you describe.
(That was affecting everyone though, mind you. So it led to some pretty insane punch-ups and chases)

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Major Isoor posted:

The only thing I can think of is if they were a server admin? Since I've seen someone turn up the overall server speed (no idea if it can be done on a player-by-player basis) like, x2 and x4 on various occasions, which led to similar situations to what you describe.
(That was affecting everyone though, mind you. So it led to some pretty insane punch-ups and chases)

I've played some more tonight, and I don't think it was him, something is messed up with my computer or the servers, or the interaction between the two, it's like animation frames are missing. It kind of looks like packet loss, but without the stuttering, if that makes any sense. I haven't ever had it happen before, but I've seen it a bunch so far tonight. Weapons going from their windup and hitting me before the swing comes out. My ping is in my normal range, I don't know, hopefully it clears itself up.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://giant.gfycat.com/OffbeatExhaustedBluetonguelizard.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

cerebral posted:

I've played some more tonight, and I don't think it was him, something is messed up with my computer or the servers, or the interaction between the two, it's like animation frames are missing. It kind of looks like packet loss, but without the stuttering, if that makes any sense. I haven't ever had it happen before, but I've seen it a bunch so far tonight. Weapons going from their windup and hitting me before the swing comes out. My ping is in my normal range, I don't know, hopefully it clears itself up.

not sure if this is related, but I was just hearing about a stink involving a competitive player getting banned from comp servers for using some kind of INI edit that allowed for laser quick attacks, and as a result those servers started banning anyone with an edited INI file. Coulda been that exploit