Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I wonder how much that drops the moment you drive it.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Two easy monthly payments of $house!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
oh i like showing the biweekly payment that's a nice touch

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh i like showing the biweekly payment that's a nice touch

That's only two times a month right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s a lot of annual tax write off.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

That's only two times a month right?

Every 6 months its 3!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

euphronius posted:

Every 6 months its 3!

Residency Evil posted:

That's only two times a month right? :v:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I did this for fun a while back to determine just how crazy the Porsche options list could get.

A base model Porsche Cayenne costs $58,300.

This one costs $172,090.

Yes, more than 3X as much.

It's still a base model with the 300hp v6, but with pretty much all of the options.

http://cc.porsche.com/icc_pcna/ccCa...ebcode=PGA7D8J6

A $172,090 car that's slower and uglier than a PT Cruiser GT.

An old post, but relevant to the current conversation.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

An old post, but relevant to the current conversation.

A good post.

I have heard that the whole point of the Cayman is to get people to start optioning it to the point where it rapidly gets so close to the price of a 911 that they just get that instead.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

i own every Bionicle posted:

A good post.

I have heard that the whole point of the Cayman is to get people to start optioning it to the point where it rapidly gets so close to the price of a 911 that they just get that instead.

That...isn’t a cayman

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm okay with making people pay for ugly. I'm not okay with making keyless entry a $1000 option. loving Porsche, man.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

i own every Bionicle posted:

A good post.

The Boxster and Cayman have both been intentionally crippled since day one as with the same engine they're a faster chassis than the 911.

GM has long done the same with the Camaro/Corvette, Toyota detunes the V6 in the Camry and Avalon compared to in the ES350, etc

It's one of the things that bothers me most about the industry, most cars could be better than they are at the same cost if not for bullshit designed to make people feel compelled to spend more money. See: Actually spending extra to put a shittier radio in base trims as a means to sell the more expensive trims, etc.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KillHour posted:

I'm okay with making people pay for ugly. I'm not okay with making keyless entry a $1000 option. loving Porsche, man.

I'm having a difficult time picturing some yuppie lawyer walking up to his Cayenne Turbo and physically sticking a little metal stick into the door like caveman times.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

davebo posted:

I'm having a difficult time picturing some yuppie lawyer walking up to his Cayenne Turbo and physically sticking a little metal stick into the door like caveman times.

Which is why you will never see a <$100k 911. Ever.

Edit: I spec'd out a Carrera with the absolute minimum I would be happy driving every day and it was over $110k. The base model has partial cloth, manual adjust, non-heated seats. On a $90k car.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 18, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

davebo posted:

Please stop attacking my wife.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

partial cloth seats are good

The car has keyless entry (ie push button to lock/unlock) in fairness - just not proximity based and not keyless starting

i'm fine with having this as an option. i prefer the physical key to the remote key. we have one of each.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Keyless entry is proximity. That's why it's called keyless. My Focus has it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KillHour posted:

No, keyless means you don’t turn the key to unlock the car. A lot of late 2000s cars had keyless entry but you still had to put the key in the ignition

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
SO does the new Spyder/GT4 have n LSD or is it still open diff

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

it isn't

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

No, keyless means you don’t turn the key to unlock the car. A lot of late 2000s cars had keyless entry but you still had to put the key in the ignition

this is correct

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

There's a reason Porsche has by far the fattest margins in the industry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wheeee posted:

17% or something like that

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Let me rephrase. I'm not going to buy a 6 figure car that makes me take my key out of my pocket to open the door or turn it on.

Except the one I just bought

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Wheeee posted:

I mean, the reason is that they sell huge numbers of a VW parts bin truck made cheaply in Eastern Europe at a very high price, not because masses of people are buying $170k Boxsters. GM's margins would be sky high too if they only sold Escalades, but instead Escalades are the reason we get the Cruze and other fun cars.

2020 Lexus GX

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Wow. Much predator grille. So scary.

BraveUlysses posted:

finally saw one of these IRL and they look extremely bad with this trim level...i know we like to laugh at black plastic cladding on all the SUVs around the wheels and bumpers...but what if we painted it and the roof black :suicide:

That's what happens when you want your cars to look exciting, but not actually be exciting. And second to whoever mentioned the glossy trim getting scratched and marred to high hell, because it's gonna happen.

drgitlin posted:

I don’t want to sound rude but with feet that big I’m sure there’s a lot of footwells that are too small for your shoes. I can’t think of a single OEM that caters to the 100th percentile.

I ran into that problem when looking at a used Mazda Millenia. I'm a size 13 and the driver's footwell just felt like it was really meant for Japanese geishas with tiny feet.

I know some people frown on driving barefooted/in socks, but that's what I did for a lengthy road trip because it just felt comfortable. Maybe I need to invest in a pair of driving shoes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At least you can polish glossy black trim because it's just a painted panel like everything else. It has a chance of looking better than faded gray splotchy plastic trim.

He says as justification for not worrying about the glossy black trim on his new Golf R.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Tesla has their finger on the pulse of millenial buyers
https://twitter.com/tesla/status/1141041018835353600

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

At least Porsche uses all the money they make off of ridiculous option packages and tacky SUVs to build cool stuff, like the enthusiast-focused 911s and Caymans, or the old LMP1 program.

Meanwhile BMW has given up on building anything that isn't an SUV or an M car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Let me rephrase. I'm not going to buy a 6 figure car that makes me take my key out of my pocket to open the door or turn it on.

Except the one I just bought

at least the porsche would be usable

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

is it bad if i like this

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

So now you can sit in your car driving a car while your car supercharges for 45 minutes, then go drive your car? Can’t wait.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

At least you can polish glossy black trim because it's just a painted panel like everything else. It has a chance of looking better than faded gray splotchy plastic trim.

He says as justification for not worrying about the glossy black trim on his new Golf R.

The Honda Passport has you covered if you love fingerprints and smudges all over your glossy black steering wheel controls!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

If they really leave the steering enabled, somebody is going to come in to the dealer with flat spotted front tires :P

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You'll have to.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

So now you can sit in your car driving a car while your car supercharges for 45 minutes, then go drive your car? Can’t wait.

nah you can wait and play games while you wait 3-6 months for replacement parts

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

nah you can wait and play games while you wait 3-6 months for replacement parts

But Elon said Tesla will soon turn around car repairs in 1 hr

E: he also said he wants to repair all Teslas in house, loving lol

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

at least the porsche would be usable

Not being able to drive it means I never have to take the key out*. Checkmate.

*Which is important because it can't be put on a keychain and is made of glass :downs:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keyser_Soze posted:

The Honda Passport has you covered if you love fingerprints and smudges all over your glossy black steering wheel controls!

That's pretty much every car interior made in the last 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Charles posted:

If they really leave the steering enabled, somebody is going to come in to the dealer with flat spotted front tires :P

Yeah, what the hell, drive by wire? Maybe it was to make the ad look a bit more dynamic.

Countdown to some ped being killed cuz someone decided to play this at a light.