Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

:orb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

theres nothing to fear, friend. in addition to making unstoppable hypersonic weapons, Raytheon is also making laser weapons to...stop the weapons they say are unstoppable.

i write about that poo poo for a living. the defense industry is the greatest grift pulled on the American people. just unknown piles of cash burned at the alter of make work programs for congressional districts in the same of security. at least honest to God make work programs from the great depression at least resulted in buildings that are still standing, public arts projects still on display, and rural areas brought into the 20th century.

The cool thing is that the weapons don't work nor do the defense platforms. It's a jobs program for engineers who are too stupid to get real engineering jobs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Motherfucker posted:

Don't talk about horny or dicks I'm very spooked by these things. Also I find women repulsive in general.... Just pretend everyone is a genderless flesh orb tia

The point is that you duders apparently can't talk about a woman without immediately starting to judge her on whether she is sufficiently pretty or not even though it has no relevance to anything in question. If that was an article about a rich white dude no one would be talking about whether he is good looking or not.

You don't need to pretend everyone is a genderless flesh orb ffs what a wild hyperbole. Just maybe don't immediately start going "hm cool point about healthcare but is she hot though? Let's look at her Instagram to see!"

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 19:21 on Jun 18, 2019

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
we seriously need more non-proliferation treaties

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

lancemantis posted:

Yes. Unfortunately, the US has shown itself to be an unreliable actor when it comes to international law which will thwart future efforts.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lancemantis posted:

the us is the only country investing in this kind of nonsense, the treaty is to just stop.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

lancemantis posted:

apparently the US has something against the proliferation of non-proliferation treaties

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lambert posted:

Yes. Unfortunately, the US has shown itself to be an unreliable actor when it comes to international law which will thwart future efforts.

Sounds like the US regime needs to be replaced with one more willing to work with the international consensus.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Motherfucker posted:

genderless flesh orb

Big mood

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

theres nothing to fear, friend. in addition to making unstoppable hypersonic weapons, Raytheon is also making laser weapons to...stop the weapons they say are unstoppable.

i write about that poo poo for a living. the defense industry is the greatest grift pulled on the American people. just unknown piles of cash burned at the alter of make work programs for congressional districts in the same of security. at least honest to God make work programs from the great depression at least resulted in buildings that are still standing, public arts projects still on display, and rural areas brought into the 20th century.

My dad works at cape canaveral and always has a lot of barely-contained contempt for DoD and NRO payloads, calling them "the infinite budget guys" because he's very deeply aware of just how much money they're able to piss away on superfluous bullshit and multiple in-orbit spares for everything and contractors layered upon contractors and stuff like that with zero consequences while people like NASA are pretty much begging for scraps.

A while ago the NRO had some spare spy satellites that were worth like half a billion or more each just sitting in a warehouse somewhere, and they didn't need them, and NASA was like "hey uh can we borrow those, you can take all the classified stuff off, they're basically telescopes and it'd be great to have more space telescopes..." and the NRO was like "eehhh I don't knowwwww" and wound up just destroying them.

Each B-2 bomber cost roughly as much as a loving space shuttle orbiter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

Flyaway for an orbiter was supposedly only 63mil in 1985 dollars which is more like 155mil today. B-2s were offered for a flyaway cost of $500mil/ea in 1995 which is more like $840mil today.

So each B-2 costs as much as all of the space shuttle orbiters.

(note that if you average overall program costs into the price of each vehicle the costs for both blow up but thats not a reasonable thing to do when you're talking about how much each airframe costs)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

My dad works at cape canaveral and always has a lot of barely-contained contempt for DoD and NRO payloads, calling them "the infinite budget guys" because he's very deeply aware of just how much money they're able to piss away on superfluous bullshit and multiple in-orbit spares for everything and contractors layered upon contractors and stuff like that with zero consequences while people like NASA are pretty much begging for scraps.

A while ago the NRO had some spare spy satellites that were worth like half a billion or more each just sitting in a warehouse somewhere, and they didn't need them, and NASA was like "hey uh can we borrow those, you can take all the classified stuff off, they're basically telescopes and it'd be great to have more space telescopes..." and the NRO was like "eehhh I don't knowwwww" and wound up just destroying them.

it really is great how perverse our politics are

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/TheShoeBuddy/status/1141069370464059395

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

lol suckers, you can live in poverty at any time, why save up to?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Is "a shelf" not disruptive enough or something

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
stopped reading here

quote:

"How is that even possible?"

When Stephanie Williams, 32, and Celestian Rince, 30,

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wait a minute they're 30 and 32 years old, they want to retire at 35, and they only have $400k in savings? Yeah good luck with that guys

e: "In the next three years, they hope to have $700,000 in total."

Oh yeah that'll totally last two people for 50 loving years lmao

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Jun 18, 2019

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
They're retiring to Myanmar. Jeez read the article you trolls :rolleyes:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

is this a different event of the nro having some leftover satellites just lying around, that were ten years out of date by intelligence standards but way better than anything science gets to use, than this one: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_National_Reconnaissance_Office_space_telescope_donation_to_NASA ? that got a lot of press when it happened

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Jun 18, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

Wait a minute they're 30 and 32 years old, they want to retire at 35, and they only have $400k in savings? Yeah good luck with that guys

e: "In the next three years, they hope to have $700,000 in total."

Oh yeah that'll totally last two people for 50 loving years lmao

that sum could plausibly produce an average return of $40000 a year, so yeah kind of. Most likely they’d get bored not working after a year or so and start at least doing part time work and go back to earning at least some wages too. it’s definitely possible to live with that much. especially if your family is not poor and you can expect an inheritance eventually too.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Squalid posted:

that sum could plausibly produce an average return of $40000 a year, so yeah kind of.

yeah, if you don't use it, and average over 20-30 years.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Woof Blitzer posted:

They're retiring to Myanmar. Jeez read the article you trolls :rolleyes:

Good idea, rents have really gone down over there thanks to the whole ethnic cleansing of Muslims deal. Look out for my new Buzzfeed article, The Top Seven Humanitarian Crises that Millennials can Take Financial Advantage Of.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Gonna retire early on some lightly used Uighur real estate.

Can't just leave that value on the table!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All you have to do is do your best impression of a Dickensian orphan factory worker, hope nothing bad happens to you medically or otherwise, iNvEsT your money properly, and retire to *checks notes* areas where ethnic cleansing has caused the cost of living to plummet.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
also, being rich already always helps, but we'll leave that part out because it doesn't benefit the financial advertisers we're posting this article to please or fit with the social media influencer/branding that the people that agreed to do this story with us are projecting to make income

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Eat This Glob posted:

great things happen when capital collaborates:

https://twitter.com/Raytheon/status/1140926890913468418?s=20

just in time for a splendid little war in Persia or Iran or whatever they call it these days

it's dumber than that, they both compete for the contracts but whichever arms merchant wins subcontracts the other to do a bunch of work because they can cheat the customer (the public) more effectively that way

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-military-maintenance/

I for one am shocked that a landlord would fabricate their maintenance record to get kickbacks from the government.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh yeah dude it’s awesome you could write a whole book about how the rank and file troops get ratfucked by capitalism

they privatized the mess hall and you get a stipend but it’s not enough to cover a full meal

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's dumber than that, they both compete for the contracts but whichever arms merchant wins subcontracts the other to do a bunch of work because they can cheat the customer (the public) more effectively that way

A government agent needs a fence painted.
Contractor #1 will do it for 20 bucks
Contractor #2 will do it for 15 bucks
Contractor #3 will do it for $100,000

The agent asks #3 "what's the deal with that price?" and he replies "50k for me, 50k for you, and I'll pay that second guy to do it"

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
LOL they privatized the army mess hall? No loving way. That's some parody level poo poo.

Eat This Glob posted:

at least honest to God make work programs from the great depression at least resulted in buildings that are still standing, public arts projects still on display, and rural areas brought into the 20th century.

It really blows my mind how few people see how insane it is. Everything in Canada that's good and lead to our current standard of living was built in the 40s/50s when there were gigantic make work programs nationwide. It kind of tapered off into the 70s, but we built neighborhoods with skating rinks and community centers within walking distance, apartments, roads. My city embarked on the largest earth moving project ever to build a flood prevention dike that serves us till today. Now anything of that scale is just unfathomable and we dump money into public/private partnerships that are more expensive and with less return.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

weren't the mess halls privatized back in the heyday of the iraq occupation

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
yeah they filled mess halls with subways and McDonald’s. very adbusters.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

autism ZX spectrum posted:

LOL they privatized the army mess hall? No loving way. That's some parody level poo poo.

The mess hall at Ft Sill was run by a private company when I went there for basic. They had constant problems with undercooked food and various bugs in the food.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

weren't the mess halls privatized back in the heyday of the iraq occupation

Yep. KBR ran many of them.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

The mess hall at Ft Sill was run by a private company when I went there for basic. They had constant problems with undercooked food and various bugs in the food.

efficiency of the free market everyone

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

It's good to know my dad's nickname for that place when he got drafted for Vietnam still works.

"The armpit of the country."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Communist Walrus posted:

Yep. KBR ran many of them.

Yes and in 98-99, Cheney the DOD froze out Dyncorp for other contracts and then set up Halliburton subsidiary company KBR with the changed contracts.

Cheney resigned as CEO of Halliburton on July 25, 2000. As vice president, he argued that this step removed any conflict of interest. Cheney's net worth, estimated to be between $19 million and $86 million, is largely derived from his post at Halliburton. His 2006 gross joint income with his wife was nearly $8.82 million.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

A lot of tech bros are retiring at 35-40. But cause they are burnt out and loaded. Not cracking the code and retiring into near homlessness.

They are moving into outlying places and skyrocketing housing prices. Cause the come in and overbid in cash on houses.

Terrible for poors, great if you own a house already before the mass exodus of 2 years ago.

(This is all Seattle, bay area)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bombadilillo posted:

A lot of tech bros are retiring at 35-40. But cause they are burnt out and loaded. Not cracking the code and retiring into near homlessness.

They are moving into outlying places and skyrocketing housing prices. Cause the come in and overbid in cash on houses.

Terrible for poors, great if you own a house already before the mass exodus of 2 years ago.

(This is all Seattle, bay area)

i live in a place where the closest grocery store is a 20 minute drive and yet the rent for a 1 bedroom sub 1000sq foot apartment is $1200. thanks, tech assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Larry Parrish posted:

i live in a place where the closest grocery store is a 20 minute drive and yet the rent for a 1 bedroom sub 1000sq foot apartment is $1200. thanks, tech assholes

Trickle down economics means....oh people being rich doesnt make it cheaper to be poor.

SO weird