Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

Schindler's lifts?

With CIG...more like Schrodinger's lift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Colostomy Bag posted:

With CIG...more like Schrodinger's lift.

Except the cat citizen is always dead.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Star Citizen: Solving Yesterday's problems, tomorrow!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

CryEngine loving sucks. Who could have predicted this?!???!

(Almost Everybody and every game company apparently)

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

The Titanic posted:

I think ensuing money has value is important to them because they don't want people paying real money for dlc to feel like they got scammed because you can make the cost of their ship in 30 minutes playing the game. If it were possible.

I think any exploits around money will take a priority to ensure the real money costs hold value.

I think it's less about keeping the whales from getting pissy about the plebes being able to earn enough money to get the same ship they paid cash for, and more about stoking the hunger in the plebes to buy the expensive ship by making sure that getting it for cash is the only way they'll ever have one.

After all, they've already spent the money they got from the whales, and those idiots will keep lining up to buy the next breakthrough design that punches above its weight anyway, no matter what CIG does to 'em.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I have to think their biggest challenge now is making things the whales want to actually spend more money on instead of just melting down their older (read: never will be finished) stuff, right?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I have to think their biggest challenge now is making things the whales want to actually spend more money on instead of just melting down their older (read: never will be finished) stuff, right?

The nature of the whale is to naturally spend as much as possible without any prodding. That's the lesson learned from f2p games: once you have managed to have someone go whale, sunk cost takes over and they are hooked. The actual challenge is to create/find more whales (without pissing the existing ones), which is done by either introducing more desirable crap gradually or by casting a wider net. CIG is not casting a wider net anytime soon so they are limited to introducing new shiny things, which is precisely what they do.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pwb-RUmwk0

Keanu reeves now in rebel galaxy :allears:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

trucutru posted:

The nature of the whale is to naturally spend as much as possible without any prodding. That's the lesson learned from f2p games: once you have managed to have someone go whale, sunk cost takes over and they are hooked. The actual challenge is to create/find more whales (without pissing the existing ones), which is done by either introducing more desirable crap gradually or by casting a wider net. CIG is not casting a wider net anytime soon so they are limited to introducing new shiny things, which is precisely what they do.

The whales have been hunted to extinction in the wild. Every existing whale now lives in captivity and is being slowly milked to death by the industrial milking machine that is Store Citizen.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Speaking of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, I've spent my free time the last couple days watching a dev stream from last month and it is super duper privateer with some Freespace 2 added in. As in they include a bunch of lines from Privateer. Also energy management including a dump energy to shields option. So it looks like they're making the game I was waiting for and it didn't even cost me $2000

https://youtu.be/h0wc8CSL-mg

Edit:

quote:

Oh it's an Inviolate. So these are the religious nuts who think jump gates are tearing apart God's Creation. And they are, it's just nobody cares.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 18, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

I am glad they are only making game(s) and not any physical structure that interacts with people or goods.

Someone should make a horro game that has you exploring a huge building in the middle of nowhere. It will seem perfectly peaceful at first until you find a plaque saying "Head architect of this building: Chris Roberts" and then everything starts randomly creaking and falling apart as you try to find your way out without dying.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Bofast posted:

Someone should make a horro game that has you exploring a huge building in the middle of nowhere. It will seem perfectly peaceful at first until you find a plaque saying "Head architect of this building: Chris Roberts" and then everything starts randomly creaking and falling apart as you try to find your way out without dying.

Had a sort of similar idea about a tabletop game with horror themes. You're in-universe and you just saw your best friend fall through his seat, break both of his legs and die, for no apparent reason. Dread sets in. Dark corners are everywhere. Anything can happen.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dooguk posted:

Do they even need ships anymore when Citizens can teleport around the Verse in Tardis like boxes? These would have the same internal dimensions as whatever ship they have wasted their money on, so they can still have their drinks cabinets and swimming pools and what have you. Dog fighting might be a problem though!

Just try to implement robot dogs and let them do the fighting. Problem solved!
(And no, CIG, I don't want to work for you.)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Neltharak posted:

Had a sort of similar idea about a tabletop game with horror themes. You're in-universe and you just saw your best friend fall through his seat, break both of his legs and die, for no apparent reason. Dread sets in. Dark corners are everywhere. Anything can happen.

:stonklol:

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Been gone 4 months, assume the game is good/released now. Anything interesting happen?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Bofast posted:

Just try to implement robot dogs and let them do the fighting. Problem solved!
(And no, CIG, I don't want to work for you.)

Roberts Dynamics! Nooooo!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

God drat I want to play that

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

VealCutlet posted:

Been gone 4 months, assume the game is good/released now. Anything interesting happen?

3.5 came out and was a disaster with most features cut

3.5.1 came out and was a disaster

3.6 is about to come out and it's looking great, A-OK, right on target. They've got magic elevators and they added more buses so that's Star Citizen pretty much finished. Oh also they made the expensive ships even harder to kill.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Sarsapariller posted:

3.5 came out and was a disaster with most features cut

3.5.1 came out and was a disaster

3.6 is about to come out and it's looking great, A-OK, right on target. They've got magic elevators and they added more buses so that's Star Citizen pretty much finished. Oh also they made the expensive ships even harder to kill.

You forgot to mention the most important part of 3.6. All the cut features.
3.7 is going to be a doozy of a patch.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh also they made the expensive ships even harder to kill.

Well, yeah, they promised they'd punch above their weight class!

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

I'd almost thought they might keep the lift stationary and move the rest of the world round to avoid the complexity of lifts...

Seriously half-life had lifts... Mario has lifts. How can anyone be referring to this as developing tech ?

If we have magic go anywhere lifts why do we need trains, why is everywhere such an epic walk?

Why would you spin the lift and not just add more doors?

How is this only a problem now?

The mind boggles at depths of stupidity we are plumbing the depths of here.

Wish I could link that vedio of buggy lift done to Charlie and the chocolate factory right now.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well, yeah, they promised they'd punch above their weight class!

I am legit shocked at that whole decision.

Like okay I get it, ship TTK was too high because your flight model is garbage and everyone just ice-skates past each other doing less damage than the shields are capable of regenerating before the next shot. So you add some downtime to the shields instead of fixing your flight model. Okay, no problem! You're a bad developer but you solved the issue.

But then you decide to make the size 2 shields (so like, Freelancer and up) regen as normal, and the size 3 shields (600i, Hammerhead) regen even harder. So what are you trying to say now? Because it sure sounds like you're saying that single seat fighters are basically second class citizens and only those with stand-off weapons should even think of engaging a bigger ship. Except wait, you hosed all the missiles and never bothered to un-gently caress them! So it really is just pure "Big ships are P2W and we aren't even embarassed about it" at this point

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

monkeytek posted:

It's $930B $160B is just Bezos share. Just image an almost Trillion $ company is saying "fuckit, its not worth it"

They just don't have the skills and knowledge a guy who was washed up in the 90's can bring to the table.

Once he deploys server meshing, it's going to be a game changer and will entirely redefine how EC2 instancing is handled. Amazon is just waiting with their already signed check to deliver to Roberts once he shows them how internet can function if you are brave enough to just do it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mu77ley posted:

Using a loving mouse to select "code" to delete = not even remotely a developer, probably barely uses a keyboard anymore.

Every time somebody mentions this I always do a internal check because I'm like "oh I use my mouse!" and then realize that when I'm actually working code I don't ever even touch a mouse and it's just sitting there like a cute little thing hoping to be touched.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

VealCutlet posted:

There was a Forbes article (first on their website then in the magazine) which made the citizens pretty mad as mentioned some previously unknown stuff like that Sandi tried to strangle Chris and there was a restraining order against her :v:
Also Crytek has new lawyers.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Warhawk109 posted:

So what happens if Amazon decides to leave gaming for good and stops supporting lumberyard?

I think that would be the best comedy way this thing dies. Poetic justice you might say.

I think there was, at the very least, talk that Star Citizen would be "that game" that helped to propel amazon into the same ring as Unreal, except with an easier method for network capabilities that could bring your MMO dream to fruition.

There's a good chance that Amazon has witnessed the glory of Star Citizen and realizes that it's a sinker, nobody else is trying to make an AAA game using their platform, and after the updates that made even Unity look spectacular... the thoughts around making the failure engine of CryEngine are probably not getting a lot of ground at any meetings.

Chances are it's only a matter of time before they shutter support for the product and wherever developers are with it, good luck you're on your own!

But really it's good for SC because not every modern engine with core-level problems that make it virtually unusable except for a handful of talented exceptions... has a guy like Roberts at the helm. He is going to bring his knowledge of emm386 into play here and it's going to blow the market away.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

:lol:

I...

I'm not sure what joke to make here. I feel embarrassed for the developers at CIG who are making this stuff that's literally starting to look like some of the stuff people build when they are starting to learn how keyframes work in some 3D program.

This is bad guys. I'm super sorry, but this is pretty silly and bad and you should feel silly for trying to ever imagine an elevator like this, even in a future of infinite possibilities.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
If that elevator were real, do you think it would have the walls and floors covered in vomit as people are jerked around and spun together in a tight space? It's like some kind of carnival ride except worse because of all the sudden trajectory changes.

People just thrown against a wall, then spun, and then the doors open and people just roll out of it because now they have no idea which way they're facing and everybody is sick or feels nauseous and definitely unaware of their surroundings and state.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

That would be true if there were an economy, a game loop, or even a rudimentary design for either one. Star Citizen has none of that. The gameplay doesn't even persist between sessions. They're writing code to incorrectly solve a theoretical problem that has a chance of occurring should they eventually get around to designing a game.

It's true because people spending real money have to feel like their purchase is difficult for normal people to obtain. The fact there isn't a game loop is secondary to preventing people from earning money quickly.

It's all psychological reinforcement to get and convince people to buy stuff with real money.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

big nipples big life posted:

I mean the IP is some poo poo an 8 year old would come up with, space WWII/apocalypse now with a bunch of racial stereotype aliens that would make George Lucas blush. The idea of "let's make a game with literally everything in it" isn't a new idea, it's a stupid one.

This is true. :)

I bet there are many kids who have worked up some kind of GURPs games in the back of their school notebooks complete with lots of systems. :)

Naturally they are artists and have drawn lots of art probably and all they need is some mere programmer to come in and just make the art work in a game, and the art will motive the programmer to do all the work because the art was the hard part. :)

If you think this sounds familiar it's because you're basically seeing what happens when one of those kids begging for a programmer gets her is his wish and money is showered on them because they had an idea and they think they are a monolithic force to be reckoned with. :)

Pretty sure every year some 10 year old kids in the 100's or 1000's of counts across the world have the great idea of "a space game and it's like always a war with an alien race!"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I think the most original thing CIG has managed to pull off is how poorly they understand almost everything. :)

Not even in Final Fantasy can I remember any fast land vehicles where the gear to motivate the car was some tiny gear at the bottom of the rim of the tire.

It's like almost everything unique about Star Citizen is all the things that make you go :psyduck:

It's like everything most everybody can understand at an even elementary level is just thrown away, and you have to twist your belief to even start to wrap your mind around it.

It's compounded worse when Star Citizen starts to try to fly the simulation flag. None of their things make sense, and none of the world building is even logical or plausible.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

Come on, really?

Chris Roberts has massive balls - he openly asks people to pay money to come to an event called "Citizen Con".

You could drown in the amount of jizz from balls that size.

Say what you want about CR, I agree.

But the people doing the actual marketing here are pretty sharp and cunning it seems, or just incredibly lucky. They know how to get people invested and stay invested. Part of this requirement, I guarantee, is making people feel like their purchases have value, and they are unique flowers in the sea of space.

They are also feeding into this by making it virtually impossible for some lone ships to take out bigger ships, regardless of the skill of the pilot or how much time it takes. If you are in a lesser (cheaper) ship, you only option when facing against larger (more expensive) ships is to flee. You don't even stand a chance no matter how much of an ace pilot you are.

This is paving the way for people to continue to spend more, while also giving them the comfort of knowing that they won't get their investment immediately destroyed by the unwashed, poor masses who just bought the game like space poors.

Power, expense, control, self-assurance of some amount of safety... all this is to milk more money out of people. There no game loops for it, there's no way any team can organize any kind of attack of player Sally's space limousine of power. You also will never "earn one" in game. You must buy it with real money and if you don't you will be killed by those who did with no way to retaliate.

This is the pay to win way. This is the CIG way. Just got to keep those arbitrary values in check!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Trilobite posted:

I think it's less about keeping the whales from getting pissy about the plebes being able to earn enough money to get the same ship they paid cash for, and more about stoking the hunger in the plebes to buy the expensive ship by making sure that getting it for cash is the only way they'll ever have one.

After all, they've already spent the money they got from the whales, and those idiots will keep lining up to buy the next breakthrough design that punches above its weight anyway, no matter what CIG does to 'em.

Yes, this is also correct. There can not be any sort of easy win to get money fast. It will always be stomped out quickly.

If you want to be better, throw down the real $$$.

Everything else is just you playing a mini game, and maybe be able to award yourself with a coffee maker for whatever ship you have or a new hat or piece of clothing to make it look like you have options.

Actual advancement in the game requires cash. It's like playing Privateer and the only ship you can ever have is the first lovely one, but you can buy new guns and stuff for it. But of course a single upgrade to the next tier is always going to be better than anything but the best gear.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If I recall, they stopped the ability for people to trade ships with other ships internally with the melting system. You now own what you buy and if you want more you buy more.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
:sureboat:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

So it really is just pure "Big ships are P2W and we aren't even embarassed about it" at this point

Honestly if I'd spent $27,000 on this game I'd feel betrayed if I wasn't the invulnerable king of poopsock mountain. It's such a weird little corner they've painted themselves into...!

The Titanic posted:

If I recall, they stopped the ability for people to trade ships with other ships internally with the melting system. You now own what you buy and if you want more you buy more.

Huh? Then what is the melting system? Or is it gone now?

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 19, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly if I'd spent $27,000 on this game I'd feel betrayed if I wasn't the invulnerable king of poopsock mountain. It's such a weird little corner they've painted themselves into...!

Huh? Then what is the melting system? Or is it gone now?

It's not gone. You can still melt your ship and use the credit to buy some other ship (as along as it is available), but you will most likely lose your insurance by doing so.

What they removed is a bunch of CCUs that backers had accumulated which worked like coupons that let them trade a ship for another one while keeping the insurance.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

It's not gone. You can still melt your ship and use the credit to buy some other ship (as along as it is available), but you will most likely lose your insurance by doing so.

What they removed is a bunch of CCUs that backers had accumulated which worked like coupons that let them trade a ship for another one while keeping the insurance.

This is correct. In detail, here's how it worked:

This is particularly important for LTI. Here's a detailed explanation of what LTI does for you in game:

This shows a definite value to be had, and explains why it was a reasonable explanation to remove the CCU.

In the parallel universe where sanity is still the norm, CCU's were eliminated because they slowed down fresh cash. LTI was created without any in-game explanation or definition of any kind, knowing that their insane backers would automatically, and without CIG saying a single word, assume they were an analogue to insurance in EVE, thus allowing CIG to profit off of GoonFear™ without invoking it by name, or even designing a game.

Star Citizen is basically EVE 2: The Revenge in many backer's minds. Since it turned out that in real-life situations they suck poo poo, EVE 2 will allow them to permanently buy status they could never earn on their own. Of course it doesn't occur to them that the people they'd want to lord it over would never play a lovely game like that, but then again, not a lot does occur to these people, because if it did, they wouldn't be in the situation they find themselves in in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Come to think of it I might need an explanation of what insurance is. Do you only get a single copy of a ship without it, never to respawn? And assume it's something that's not even turned on yet because of the lack of persistence?