Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Fancy Hat! posted:

A demo for a game that has a few more months of development probably shouldn't be compared to a finished game?

The game is out in November, by any corporate timeline things such as environmental graphics should be fully or nearly finalized by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Fancy Hat! posted:

A demo for a game that has a few more months of development probably shouldn't be compared to a finished game?

Anyone have beta screens from Zelda? I was looking for some to make the comparison better.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/retrostudios/status/1141083823947620353?s=21
This is going to be one of the last games released on Switch.:lol:

For reference: ffviiR hired key staff for its second dev team (its game/battle designers iirc) in like 2017 and will launch 3 years later

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Here's the BotW demo from e3 2016 which was farther from release than Pokemon is now

https://youtu.be/viCsKYIw6vk

It looks basically the same as the released game

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Zore posted:

Here's the BotW demo from e3 2016 which was farther from release than Pokemon is now

https://youtu.be/viCsKYIw6vk

It looks basically the same as the released game
It's because it was done already and they delayed it to make it a Switch launch title.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

And that demo still ran like rear end

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah in a 6 month time frame you might see graphics get tweaked not completely overhauled. Keep your expectations in check, this is probably just an upscaled 3ds game in terms of visuals.

Not that it matters much, you're still playing a glacial turn based rpg

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Still strange that a first-party Nintendo game looks so mediocre visually, especially for one of their biggest franchise's first foray into next gen.

I'm still gonna play the poo poo out of it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

chaleski posted:

Still strange that a first-party Nintendo game looks so mediocre visually, especially for one of their biggest franchise's first foray into next gen.

I'm still gonna play the poo poo out of it

I don't think Pokemon is first party in the same way as the other first party games since Gamefreak mostly acts on their own. I don't think Nintendo has a lot of control on how the game will eventually look.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm getting better at dodging the knives. Parrying them doesn't work very well? I knock the first knife away but the next two hit me.

There's a single parry timing that catches all three knives, but I've had better luck parrying them individually. A successful parry has a way quicker recovery than a failed one, so you can parry all three knives by just tapping the button repeatedly

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Macaluso posted:

I don't think Pokemon is first party in the same way as the other first party games since Gamefreak mostly acts on their own. I don't think Nintendo has a lot of control on how the game will eventually look.

I get the feeling Gamefreak is a pretty awful developer who couldn't handle anything outside of their guaranteed success niche.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Steve2911 posted:

I get the feeling Gamefreak is a pretty awful developer who couldn't handle anything outside of their guaranteed success niche.
Get a load of this guy who never played Pocket Card Jockey.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steve2911 posted:

Pokemon Sword/Shield is their first HD 3D project isn't it?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

They've made some cute experimental titles, Drill Dozer comes to mind, Pocket Card Jockey is great. None sell like bangers but they're pretty good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think it’s a big leap to call someone a bad developer for having a mediocre environment in a demo

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I like those stories about how incompetent Game Freak is going around, like how in SuMo dataminers found out that GF has many copies of the same, individual character models in the game and they're all designed to be used for one specific scene instead of having just one model they reuse. So there's like twenty different Lillies in the game, one for each location that she appears in the game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Beastie posted:

This was making the rounds on Reddit. I don’t think anyone was expecting them to be alike but that is some garbage foliage.

Edit: right side is Pokemon Sword/Shield

Don't trust Reddit with this poo poo.

Never forget the Spider-Man puddle controversy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Policenaut posted:

I like those stories about how incompetent Game Freak is going around, like how in SuMo dataminers found out that GF has many copies of the same, individual character models in the game and they're all designed to be used for one specific scene instead of having just one model they reuse. So there's like twenty different Lillies in the game, one for each location that she appears in the game.

okay but why should I care

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Augus posted:

okay but why should I care

That is something even amature game makers know not to do, and if that's the baseline then there is far more hacky poo poo lurking under the hood. It's also unoptimized as fuuuck because you're using 20 times the storage needed with all the excess Lillies that could've just addressed a single model instance. Things like that all add up.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pokemon Sword/Shield is their first HD 3D project isn't it?

No, that was Pokémon LGPE.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

Policenaut posted:

It's only incompetence if they run out of memory space using this trick. They did this intentionally to improve load times.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think it’s a big leap to call someone a bad developer for having a mediocre environment in a demo
The manchildren violently turned on the game after it was revealed that you can't catch all 900 Pokemon in the game. Ever since they've been trying to find ways to say the game is actually gonna suck.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Ada posted:

It's only incompetence if they run out of memory space using this trick. They did this intentionally to improve load times.

No, it's HACKY and WRONG because some clod on reddit said so.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Don't trust Reddit with this poo poo.

Never forget the Spider-Man puddle controversy.

Idk what this is but I’m having fun guessing.

Also yeah I want Pocket Card Jockey.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

ImpAtom posted:

TSA would be better if it was a minigames collection

I swear I read multiple articles claiming Travis Strikes Again was going to be exactly that, some sort of minigame collection? Was super confused when I played it and it was just the same boring bullshit gameplay for the first two hours. Maybe I didn't play it long enough, but I didn't have any indication the gameplay was going to change.

JBP posted:

I guess I only ever played the original which was a good game where you did grid battles. I don't think I want to play this. Where's my new advance wars for when I'm done with Wargroove?

I've played all of the english released Fire Emblem games and if you've only played one of them you should check out the others if you don't mind emulation. They all have their quirks, but I really enjoyed them all except one... don't remember which it was unfortunately. Whichever one made you visit shops during battle or whatever. There's a Fire Emblem game on most Nintendo consoles and even the older ones are worth playing, GBA/Wii/Gamecube/3DS.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They had infinite resources and quite a lot of time, they don't get any pity for being new to the system.

I think the people upset about them not including all 1000 Pokemon are mad but the game is ugly as sin.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Steve2911 posted:

they don't get any pity for being new to the system.

They're not, this is the second Switch installment.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Were Game Freak one of those devs who were shocked at how well the Switch was selling? To the point that they had internally assumed they wouldn't have to make a mainline Pokemon game for the system aside from a Let's Go off-shoot? Like I wanna say there was one interview where someone from there was giving a wishy-washy answer about supporting the system with titles like you'd expect from EA or someone. That old "Oh I dunno we'll have to see if there are enough game buyers" song and dance.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Beastie posted:

Idk what this is but I’m having fun guessing.

https://gamerant.com/spider-man-ps4-puddle-controversy/

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Botw looked good except for the five yard draw distance for anything but land

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Viewtiful Jew posted:

To the point that they had internally assumed they wouldn't have to make a mainline Pokemon game for the system aside from a Let's Go off-shoot?

LGPE are mainline games officially. Listed as such on the official website and everything. They're the last installments of the 7th generation.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So im finally playing my switch after a year.
Im not in love the switch controls.

What's the best recommended replacement controller?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ada posted:

How would this ever improve load times?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Bananana posted:

Pro controller.

Kerm
Jun 17, 2003

VIDEO GAME RINGTONES

The Bananana posted:

Are you using the joycons? I like the nintendo switch pro controllers. Very similar to an xbox controller and $50 at most places.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Pokemon is second party.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

yeah duplicating data for performance was a thing on spinning media (data physically closer together is faster to read) but that doesn't apply anymore with solid state storage

i dont get it

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Kurtofan posted:

Pokemon is second party.

Game Freak is, but Nintendo fully owns the Pokémon trademark.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

s.i.r.e. posted:

There's a trick that some games use on disc-based consoles where each level of the game has its own file containing its own copy of everything that level needs. The idea is that even if it's less efficient for disc space usage, reading a single file big sequentially is faster than seeking out a lot of smaller files scattered all over the place, since discs have particularly slow seek times.

I guess it's possible that this is a thing for 3DS games too? Even though the game cards are solid state storage, stuff needs to be loaded into RAM before it can be used so maybe grouping together copies of everything needed for a single scene can be loaded sequentially faster? :confused:

Anyway it 100% is a thing that some games do even if I have no idea if Pokemon does it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Katana zero is a brilliant game that sadly doesn’t do anything interesting or challenging with its mechanics until the last couple levels. This game badly needs its own version of Mario maker because it’s really satisfying to pull off a well executed run and then watch the replay of it.