Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Doomy Turtle seems to be paced differently than the start-stop Doom 2016 gameplay, so it makes sense that weapons have higher visibility if you're often coming across them mid-fight. Most of 2016s weapons were found between combat set pieces, so visibility wasn't as important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I hope Doom Eternal has weapon durability

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Hwurmp posted:

mods?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Yes, the mods screen is a logical place to put durability. From what we could see of the gun trees durability is definitely going to be a trouble spot.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
How does doomguy keep moving without eating or drinking? Doom ETERNAL plans to address these questions and more with brand-spanking-new food, water, and bathroom meters! RIP AND TEAR into a demonic feast as you eat the demons you kill to survive!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
wait that actually kinda wrapped back around to being awesome

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

WooD Slayer

He still has a chainsaw but just a lumberjack now

Watch "Commando" (again)

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

RIP AND TEAR into a demonic feast as you eat the demons you kill to survive!

wait that actually kinda wrapped back around to being awesome

yeah i am totally down for the doom slayer to gain power by literally eating the hearts of his fallen enemies

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

Don't forget survival and crafting mechanics

Let me build structures out of demon gibs

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Doom Eternal Royale 76

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
next you'll tell me theyre going to introduce V.A.T.S (Vega Assisted Targeting System)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah i am totally down for the doom slayer to gain power by literally eating the hearts of his fallen enemies

That’s how you gain their courage! Their delicious courage 😋

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

keep using your pistol until your Pistols skill is high enough that none of your hits whiff

then you can move on to your shotgun

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Hwurmp posted:

keep using your pistol until your Pistols skill is high enough that none of your hits whiff

then you can move on to your shotgun

i;m pumped for the elder dooms 5: murderwind

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Pomp posted:

Wtf are you watching

these are snips from a youtube video so not the best examples. but doom eternal looks like a completely different game. the colors remind me of call of duty zombies haha. I also think the HUD is way too cluttered.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JBP posted:

It looks cool but I don't know if I want to zip around like a pinball, I just want to blast demon nerds. I'm sure once I'm in it I'll be having a good time though.

2016: it looks too slow :ohdear:

2019: it looks too fast :ohdear:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

b-minus1 posted:

doom eternal looks like a completely different game.

Well, it is.

:v::v::v:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

sebmojo posted:

I'm still not keen on the emphasis of aerial combat in Eternal. It was nice as an incidental if you made it above a demon in 2016 and scored a from-above glory kill, but once I finished doing those for runes and weapon upgrades I went back to being a demon-eating speedy land shark.

Fast, good. Fast and flying around in the air with a zipline? Ehh.

I'm also pre-basing my opinions on every other FPS that has tried to add aerial stuff like Eternal is, and I'm not coming up with good examples. They tried the hook in TF2 but it ended up being a half-baked implementation, and most aerial options in Overwatch are either unwieldy or boring to use. I'll be glad if Eternal proves me wrong and that I won't lose any sense of diection zipping around, but honestly? I'll probably just never use the thing until the Mandatory Zipline And Dash segments of the game.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 18, 2019

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dieting Hippo posted:

I'm still not keen on the emphasis of aerial combat in Eternal. It was nice as an incidental if you made it above a demon in 2016 and scored a from-above glory kill, but once I finished doing those for runes and weapon upgrades I went back to being a demon-eating speedy land shark.

Fast, good. Fast and flying around in the air with a zipline? Ehh.

I'm also pre-basing my opinions on every other FPS that has tried to add aerial stuff like Eternal is, and I'm not coming up with good examples. They tried the hook in TF2 but it ended up being a half-baked implementation, and most aerial options in Overwatch are either unwieldy or boring to use. I'll be glad if Eternal proves me wrong and that I won't lose any sense of diection zipping around, but honestly? I'll probably just never use the thing until the Mandatory Zipline And Dash segments of the game.

:psyduck:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Krowley posted:

You're right, the only thing that could've improved the super shotgun is a grappling hook :hellyeah:

It pulls you towards your enemies.:unsmigghh:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

I have accepted my fate as the only person not psyched about Eternal :colbert:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

David D. Davidson posted:

It pulls you towards your enemies.

Where else would you want to go, especially if you’re carrying the SSG? :getin:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm excited for doom: eternal, id software's new farming and dating simulator. the added RTS elements are what's really catching my eye though

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Excited to pull a five-star cacodemon from gacha in DOOM ETERNAL.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Gotta rip em all

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Deakul posted:

who's to say that all of these floating platforms and poles everywhere aren't just products of demonification?

LOL, I don't disagree with you, but I'm amused by the idea of a bunch of demonic engineers rolling in and installing a bunch of gymnastics bars.

"Hey buddy, the contract calls for sixteen bars, you got a problem with that, take it up with management."

Management is also a five story high flaming skull.

Vinylshadow posted:

Don't forget survival and crafting mechanics

Let me build structures out of demon gibs

What Doomguy really needs is to be responsible for the welfare and development of every group of humans that he rescues from the demons. If they could just stand around doing nothing unless individually instructed to start rebuilding the planet that would be so awesome.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Demons need crossfit too

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Quake had aerial combat that makes Doom Eternal look restrained, wtf are you people smoking?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

Quake had aerial combat that makes Doom Eternal look restrained, wtf are you people smoking?

Rocket jumping is probably the only good aerial maneuver for FPSs, but that also comes with a risk/reward of losing health on jump and landing for a brief aerial advantage. You're also given a large amount of maneuverability with it with a good amount of spatial awareness of where you are, will be going, and where your targets are. It's also got a very high skill ceiling, and I'd classify it as the exception to all vertical FPS mechanics being bad or ignorable.

2016 didn't have rocket jumping in it, but it did give you the gauss cannon which provided a decent chunk of horizontal speed for zipping around. I'd like more skill-based weapon movement like that.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

AnEdgelord posted:

Doom is Doom precisely because it doesn't have constant jumping. Bunnyhopping and the constant bouncing off everything is probably the single dividing line between doom engine games and quake engine games (I know Hexen had jumping - it was used as a platforming tool, not a combat/moment to moment gameplay mechanic). I liked 2016 Doom because it mostly adhered to that style.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dieting Hippo posted:

Rocket jumping is probably the only good aerial maneuver for FPSs, but that also comes with a risk/reward of losing health on jump and landing for a brief aerial advantage. You're also given a large amount of maneuverability with it with a good amount of spatial awareness of where you are, will be going, and where your targets are. It's also got a very high skill ceiling, and I'd classify it as the exception to all vertical FPS mechanics being bad or ignorable.

There's also bunnyhopping (which technically counts as aerial maneuvers imo) and runequake/skulltag's grappling hook

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DatonKallandor posted:

Doom is Doom precisely because it doesn't have constant jumping. Bunnyhopping and the constant bouncing off everything is probably the single dividing line between doom engine games and quake engine games (I know Hexen had jumping - it was used as a platforming tool, not a combat/moment to moment gameplay mechanic). I liked 2016 Doom because it mostly adhered to that style.

It really doesn't, arenas have a ton of verticality to the them that the game encourages you to exploit constantly. This is the game that had double jumping in it as a major feature.

If you want a modern shooter where you are nailed to the floor in the same way you are in Doom you want Bulletstorm.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Never thought I'd see the day where "jumping" was considered a dangerous and troubling innovation, but here we are.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

There's also bunnyhopping (which technically counts as aerial maneuvers imo) and runequake/skulltag's grappling hook

Bunnyhopping I'd argue is more for horizontal movement considering the speeds you can reach with it in engines that support it. I don't mind it being gone though, even Valve patched it out of Source in 2010 (although you can still re-enable it). If you were good at it, you were practically a bouncing god and were playing at a high skill ceiling already. Perfect for Quake!

I wasn't aware that Quake mods had hooks, but I see the one in Runequake acts like TF2's hook. Hold to shoot/reel in, let go to unhook.

Quake does have options for aerial movement, but chances are you weren't using them unless you were already knee deep in multiplayer arena matches which really rewarded that skill. I do agree with the earlier sentiment that Doom isn't about that movement nearly as much as Quake. Give us a new Quake game, iD! You don't need to make Doomguy into Quakeguy.

Also I figured out why I really don't like the dash mechanic. It's just like Tracer's teleport dash in OW and I am not a fan of it there either :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Doomslayer from 2016 already played a whole lot more vertically than Doomguy ever did, with double jumping being one of the most integral ways to maneuver and the majority of the big combat arenas in the game having a lot of verticality to them, with many of them having goddamn jump pads everywhere. The "should Doom incorporate verticality into its combat" ship sailed years ago.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm pretty vocal about not liking the new cheap looking powerup icons or whatever, but the new ultra-mobility of the Doom Guy is loving awesome.

Jumping up and air-dashing and grappling cacodemons (and shooting them in the face) and air-dashing again, then raining down rockets and shotgun blasts and landing half way across the map all day long motherfucking hell yes.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 19, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

b-minus1 posted:

not gonna lie, im a little nervous that this game will be a disappointment. i watched the trailers/gameplay for doom eternal, immediately followed by gameplay from doom 2016. the differences are staggering.

Have you seen the original Doom 4 trailers? Or the Polygon video? They were complete rear end. The thread was a dumpster fire of people making GBS threads left and right and I had to be like "uhhh maybe its just the controller guys"

Have faith my friend. Doom is eternal.

MariusLecter posted:

If they'd just made Doom 2016 again with new levels and enemies, that'd be disappointing as well.

I definitely don't feel this way though. I'd be totally fine with a Doom 4 campaign expansion. The new game modes are just a cherry on top.

...what are you expecting? An FPSRPG?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pomp posted:

I genuinely cannot wrap my head around not being hype as hell for the movement in eternal.

this

b-minus1 posted:

these are snips from a youtube video so not the best examples. but doom eternal looks like a completely different game. the colors remind me of call of duty zombies haha. I also think the HUD is way too cluttered.

This is some weird nitpicking dude. Just chill out and check the game out when its actually released. There's no point getting too concerned over obsessing about a couple screenshots; its not even done.

Things like lighting can and do heavily change before release, but... it also doesn't look bad.

sebmojo posted:

trailer: "It looks too slow! its gonna be bad!"
release: "doom 4 rules rip and tear other fps suck"

trailer: "this looks bad! Its too fast! The HUD! THE HUD!"
release: "Doom Eternal rules rip and tear other fps suck"

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 19, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Doom 2016 leadup included a ton of focus on the multiplayer and very little focus on the campaign, and Doom 2016's multiplayer held a playerbase for roughly 12 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Eternal getting a Shadow Warrior style dash for you to use and a loving grappling hook that you can swing around on like an extremely deadly Spider Man is extremely cool and good and I don't understand how you can think otherwise.