Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Conservatives are competitive in elections because they draw in virulent racists who will gladly cut off their own nose if it means they get to stick it to minorities and foreigners.

This is really the crux of the issue. I likened it to shooting themselves in the foot if it meant they could shoot someone else in both but the point still stands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Y'all and your good 101st units. My rear end was sent to the precursor for whatever DISCOM/SUST BDE was at the time (under the leaning shithouse). They stood up Support/Sustainment Bde right around when I got to Campbell, then renamed it DISCOM. Then something else, probably. But it wasn't under the leaning shithouse control anymore.

You want to see a brigade full of people that can't function outside of an office, you go to 101st DISCOM. Maybe 1/10 can actually shoot or soldier. I got good at hiding from people trying to make me do poo poo other than my job (truck mechanic). My last time shooting m16 at the range I cleared the bar for sharpshooter and spent my last few rounds helping my ulls clerk pass. Just pass, 23/40. Goddamn unit.

We also had a guy that got in on forged HS transcripts/diploma. It was shaken out of him, and he got his GED in the army, but then he was caught with atropine injectors in his car and he was separated shortly after his 45/45. We had some dumb ones. Self included.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 18, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Known progressive Joe Biden is attempting to court GOP donors for fundraising.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/18/billionaire-trump-donor-says-he-rejected-joe-bidens-request-for-fundraising-help.html

And amazingly enough it’s not going well!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Y'all and your good 101st units. My rear end was sent to the precursor for whatever DISCOM/SUST BDE was at the time (under the leaning shithouse). They stood up Support/Sustainment Bde right around when I got to Campbell, then renamed it DISCOM. Then something else, probably. But it wasn't under the leaning shithouse control anymore.

You want to see a brigade full of people that can't function outside of an office, you go to 101st DISCOM. Maybe 1/10 can actually shoot or soldier. I got good at hiding from people trying to make me do poo poo other than my job (truck mechanic). My last time shooting m16 at the range I cleared the bar for sharpshooter and spent my last few rounds helping my ulls clerk pass. Just pass, 23/40. Goddamn unit.

We also had a guy that got in on forged HS transcripts/diploma. It was shaken out of him, and he got his GED in the army, but then he was caught with atropine injectors in his car and he was separated shortly after his 45/45. We had some dumb ones. Self included.

Holy poo poo are you right on that. They sent me to a DISCOM (later reflagged as a SUS BDE) unit. Talk about poo poo show. I think they took lovely leaders that were distilling in their retardedness and placed them in command.

Not to mention no one knew what to do with the units.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

ASAPI posted:

retardedness

No.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Flying_Crab posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these dudes? I’m convinced the SEALs are only recruiting sociopaths given all the recent news about them.

You have to be a sociopath at this point to do this

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You have to be a sociopath at this point to do this

Takes less time to go through BUDS than it does to prospect for your local 1%er motorcycle gang.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If that was the case at least you could grudgingly accept that they're selfish assholes narrowly looking out for their own best interests.

But there aren't enough rich people in any country to form the basis of a democratic movement. Conservatives are competitive in elections because they draw in virulent racists who will gladly cut off their own nose if it means they get to stick it to minorities and foreigners.

It's not just racists, it's also authoritarians. You often get both tendencies in one person, but there are also people who just straight up love those with power and think they should keep it at any cost.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Democratic messaging game on point.

:regd08:

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
What? How do you get that?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wait so our fake secdef quit literally in the midst of the Right trying to convince everyone we’re on the brink of war? Yikesarooni.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fallom posted:

Wait so our fake secdef quit literally in the midst of the Right trying to convince everyone we’re on the brink of war? Yikesarooni.

Dude had bigger issues, he was a ticking time bomb.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fallom posted:

He also hit his ex-wife at some point, and downplayed things when his teenage son attacked her with a baseball bat and knocked her unconscious before fleeing the scene.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-military-maintenance/

quote:

One of the U.S. military’s largest private-industry landlords falsified maintenance records, Reuters found, helping it secure incentive fees as families awaited repairs. The company’s actions, a former employee said, were akin to “bank robbery at a corporate level.”

quote:

Whittington said he knew falsifying records left families in peril. A retired Air Force veteran, he said he was disgusted by his actions, and, after wrestling with his conscience and refusing further orders to alter records, resigned.

“It’s like they’re operating a bank robbery at a corporate level,” Whittington said. “I got to the point where I was waking up in the morning and wondering, ‘Well, how many people am I going to have to screw over today?’ ”

Whittington’s claims are supported by numerous internal memos to Balfour Beatty employees instructing them on how to engage in the deception. Reuters documented at least 65 instances in 2016 and 2017 in which Balfour Beatty employees backdated repair requests, filed paperwork claiming false exemptions from response-time requirements, or closed out unfinished maintenance requests.

Such problems were well known to some Air Force housing employees stationed at Tinker. For years, they told the Air Force of questionable record keeping and slum-like living conditions. Yet their attempts to hold Balfour Beatty accountable were blocked by the Air Force Civil Engineering Center, or AFCEC, a unit based in San Antonio, Texas, that is tasked with monitoring private landlords.

At least 18 times since 2015, Tinker-based Air Force housing officials warned that Balfour Beatty maintenance logs contained false information making it appear the company promptly responded to service requests, Air Force reports show. “We do not feel that emergency, urgent and routine work orders are accurately recorded,” said one periodic report on Balfour Beatty’s performance.

Quarter after quarter, the Air Force engineering center downplayed these concerns, giving the company high service marks and advising Tinker officials to drop their complaints. “It doesn’t matter if they were in compliance or not, they would still get paid,” a local housing official at Tinker wrote in a February 2018 email.

At the heart of the failure to hold the Tinker landlord accountable was a conflict within the Air Force. On one side was the on-site Air Force housing office, whose prime mission was assisting residents and conducting daily oversight of Balfour Beatty. On the other was AFCEC, responsible for developing and managing all of the Air Force’s privatized housing projects. While AFCEC, too, has an oversight role, it is also responsible for ensuring smooth long-term relations with the landlords with whom it does business. Over the years, AFCEC repeatedly sided with its partner, Balfour Beatty.

you know what, just read the whole thing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh certainly, it’s just an extremely powerfully bad look for the administration given the timing. More so than the usual staffing failures.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

:thunk:

Because of course,

quote:

“Conversations are still taking place” with the U.S. Department of Justice “about what avenues (criminal or civil) – if any – can be pursued against Balfour Beatty.”

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

:thunk:

Because of course,

What do you want to bet that the person in charge of AFCEC is getting kickbacks from Balfour Beatty

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ASAPI posted:

Holy poo poo are you right on that. They sent me to a DISCOM (later reflagged as a SUS BDE) unit. Talk about poo poo show. I think they took lovely leaders that were distilling in their (e: no, stupidity) and placed them in command.

Not to mention no one knew what to do with the units.

Those were some magical years, 2004-06. At least we got brand new barracks at the time. Otherwise it was a constant clusterfuck.

My company stayed busy. They had just gotten back from an Afghanistan rotation six months or so before I hit Campbell. Went to Iraq less than a year after they were back, five months after I got there. Got home from Iraq, a year later I collected my discharge, a few months later, they went back to Afghanistan.

If you were in my battalion around the same time, you would remember the super motivated, "let's all go for a pro mask and sand bag run at 4am," ultra-hooah sergeant major. Yeah, he was also my first sergeant my first few weeks in Korea. If I'd have stayed in, the army probably would've found a way to make me follow him around until he retired. Nice guy, way too hooah.

Our lt col was cool too, generally. Busted a bunch of people drinking on christmas while deployed though. Was rolling through maintenance tents, dressed as Santa, leaving little poo poo for mechanics. Caught a night crew drinking mil special from a Listerine bottle.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 18, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Casimir Radon posted:

He also hit his ex-wife at some point, and downplayed things when his teenage son attacked her with a baseball bat and knocked her unconscious before fleeing the scene.

What the gently caress is wrong with this family

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Milo and POTUS posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with this family

his ex wife seemed abusive as well, she was the first one arrested for domestic charges in the family

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

his ex wife seemed abusive as well, she was the first one arrested for domestic charges in the family

All they're missing is sustained alcoholism to be an Irish American stereotype.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

psydude posted:

All they're missing is sustained alcoholism to be an Irish American stereotype.

Yeah too bad they don’t have the Irish part.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Known progressive Joe Biden is attempting to court GOP donors for fundraising.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/18/billionaire-trump-donor-says-he-rejected-joe-bidens-request-for-fundraising-help.html

And amazingly enough it’s not going well!

Lieberman change his name to Biden when I wasn't looking?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

colachute posted:

Yeah too bad they don’t have the Irish part.

Shanahan is an Irish-rear end surname.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

loving lol. Dusted.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

loving lol. Dusted.

It really is something how spiteful the Tories and Republicans are

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
but guys bipartisanship

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

but guys bifartisanship

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

but guys buy partisan ship

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1141090990306058240?s=19

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So that's the payday ship for them how many ships did they let through before that

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Thats still a shitload of coke.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EBB posted:

So that's the payday ship for them how many ships did they let through before that

Probably 36-40

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That’s like a 20’ container worth of coke. Four if you try to camouflage it.

Heh, two if you feel lucky.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

im not gonna lie I'm pushing full on for brexit because watching the very last remnant of the british empire crumble apart until nothing is left but an economically devastated england would be funny as poo poo

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/greygxz/status/1141034108170199040

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

colachute posted:

Maybe mine is the anecdote and not the norm, but I think morale has a lot to do with it as well. All of the people I met that were ever in the 173rd thought it was great and I never really heard much about it.

Meanwhile my company at Campbell had an entire platoon just for people getting chaptered for drug offenses after we got back from Afghanistan.

Don’t get me wrong. These dudes could shoot and ruck but everything else? Nope, all hosed up.

E: now that I think about it all of my anecdotes are from after my deployment. And it was a rough one. So maybe this is more of a mental health issue than one of the unit being poo poo the way you’re thinking? I don’t know. poo poo, even I put a gun to my head at one point.

If you're talking about the 10-11 deployment I went to the 173rd right after so I went straight into clearing and never bring at work mode but that was a hard deployment and I heard from people there was a *lot* of bad poo poo that happened after I left.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lmao "we brutalized detainees way worse than those amateurs on the border" is a hell of a take

but not quite up there with the congressman claiming he killed hundreds of civilians and asking whether he should receive justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

im not gonna lie I'm pushing full on for brexit because watching the very last remnant of the british empire crumble apart until nothing is left but an economically devastated england would be funny as poo poo

Brexit would surely be a lose state in CK2?