Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Come to think of it I might need an explanation of what insurance is. Do you only get a single copy of a ship without it, never to respawn? And assume it's something that's not even turned on yet because of the lack of persistence?

My answer from above:

"LTI was created without any in-game explanation or definition of any kind, knowing that their insane backers would automatically, and without CIG saying a single word, assume they were an analogue to insurance in EVE, thus allowing CIG to profit off of GoonFear™ without invoking it by name, or even designing a game."

In a very real sense, CIG's insurance isn't an in-game product with a mechanic linked to it. It's a real-life product, where people dropping tens of thousands of dollars on Chris Roberts's Make-a-Wish Foundation of pretending to be a game developer for what turned out to be almost a decade, can feel secure that they won't lose that money by being blown up. Did CIG tell them this is how it would work? No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

But, I mean, specifically, what does insurance do? Is it just, no insurance means you lose your ship if it's blown up, and insurance means you always get an unlimited number of free copies of your ship? Is it limited in number? Have they ever explained it at all?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But, I mean, specifically, what does insurance do? Is it just, no insurance means you lose your ship if it's blown up, and insurance means you always get an unlimited number of free copies of your ship? Is it limited in number? Have they ever explained it at all?

I've not played SC before so this could be wrong but, right now it's not implemented in anyway. you just have a timer before you can spawn another one.

Presumably this will change at some point and you'll have to purchase insurance or lose your $250 garbage scow. Unless of course you pay for LTI, then you'll be free of worry!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

No. They're capitalizing on fear and allowing the backers to theorycraft LTI into being literally anything they want it to be. It's one of the reasons I categorize SC as a scam no matter how much they play the "but we tried to make a game, we're just inept" card. They created a concept but not a product, gave it a name, and sold it for real money, without defining what it is or what it does. But you better loving pay us a premium or you won't get it. You'd hate for something to happen to that pretty ship you just paid thousands for, would you? Maybe LTI will help, maybe it won't, you sure you wanna take that chance?

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 19, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I kinda figured that was the answer, but... Jesus, who is this loving dumb?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Star citizen: dreams of terror and death

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

LTI is supposed to insure the hull (and only the hull) of your ship forever. That's it. That's basically all the info there has ever been about it.

This is the stuff nobody really knows about :

1) If there are premiums, how much do they cost, and if they increase.
2) How long will it take for you to get your ship back. Where do you get your ship back.
3) How much does it cost to get hull insurance if you don't have LTI
4) If you're actually allowed to fly a non-insured ship
5) How are they going to deal with insurance fraud (a friend destroys you ship and sells the scrap, you get a new ship back from the insurer).
6) What is actually more expensive to insure, your hull? your components? your cargo? your characters?
7) Repeat 1-5) for components, cargo, characters, etc.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

LTI is supposed to insure the hull (and only the hull) of your ship forever. That's it. That's basically all the info there has ever been about it.

This is the stuff nobody really knows about :

1) If there are premiums, how much do they cost, and if they increase.
2) How long will it take for you to get your ship back. Where do you get your ship back.
3) How much does it cost to get hull insurance if you don't have LTI
4) If you're actually allowed to fly a non-insured ship
5) How are they going to deal with insurance fraud (a friend destroys you ship and sells the scrap, you get a new ship back from the insurer).
6) What is actually more expensive to insure, your hull? your components? your cargo? your characters?
7) Repeat 1-5) for components, cargo, characters, etc.

I'd add one more:

8) Are they actually going to permanently destroy a $2500 ship you paid real money for if it blows up while not insured?

I think that central question is the entire conceit around LTI in the first place. By creating LTI, they imply that #8 will actually happen, without outright stating that it will. However, expect meltdowns and lawsuits the first time someone's thousands of dollars ship is permanently deleted, no matter how hardcore backers pretend to be.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

I'd add one more:

8) Are they actually going to permanently destroy a $2500 ship you paid real money for if it blows up while not insured?

That's 4)

IMO, In the end they'll just stick with their stupid tier-0 implementation (like they will with most of their tier-0 stuff) and just have insurance reduce the time it takes for you to get your poo poo back.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

That's 4)

IMO, In the end they'll just stick with their stupid tier-0 implementation (like they will with most of their tier-0 stuff) and just have insurance reduce the time it takes for you to get your poo poo back.

I love this tire fire.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hav posted:

Schindler's lifts?
i can't believe this is how you learnt about schindler's lifts.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

That's not even the tier 0 implementation

Currently, all ships are insured forever. Insurance means you can respawn the ship when it dies, on a timer. You can pay credits to make the timer faster, but it's a lot of credits and you'll die all the time so nobody does this. Originally they said that the insured version of your ship would be the base hull. Recently they changed that- now it's the base hull and whatever your most recent item configuration is. I'm sure this has nothing to do with them selling item configurations in their store for 20 dollars.

The only way to lose a ship right now is for them to reset the accounts on patch day. And the only ships you lose are the ones you earn in-game. Convenient how that works and how they keep having to push resets!

So, at the moment LTI or 6 month insurance or whatever doesn't matter. It's all the same, everything is insured. Supposedly these insurance timers will begin "Ticking down" at some point after the game is "Launched." But that's never going to happen. So it really is just the barest hint of a threat that maybe, some day, your 500 dollar or whatever ship will be blown up and you won't get it back. If this were any other game I would say that that would never work and actually trying to enforce "Oh you got PVP'd sorry you lost 500 dollars" would get your rear end sued. But this is CIG, so the game will never launch and none of this matters. I think they're fully aware of this and also aware that LTI still motivates idiots to buy poo poo, and they will let it ride without changes for as long as possible due to that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Eight years, a revolving door of studios, two game engines and over $200 million in crowdfunding have finally given us what we've all been waiting for: the rotating brushes from the quake 1 expansion pack

https://i.imgur.com/Rj8MODE.gifv

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

The Kins posted:

Eight years, a revolving door of studios, two game engines and over $200 million in crowdfunding have finally given us what we've all been waiting for: the rotating brushes from the quake 1 expansion pack

Please don't compare a loving awesome game such as Quake with SC

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1141082527689404416

I pre ordered a game back in 2012 and I'm still waiting for it after 7 years. You got off lightly lando

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

DigitalPenny posted:

Wish I could link that vedio of buggy lift done to Charlie and the chocolate factory right now.

Can't find it either. Have this instead...

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Ghostlight posted:

i can't believe this is how you learnt about schindler's lifts.

Tchoh, kids today. I wonder if Sonny Jim over there has even heard of the Northampton Lighthouse?

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

I give it 30 minutes after release until a goon publishes a video with Crobear plastered all over their ship. ;)

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Some people claim that LTI is basically "just a little extra", because it's so widespread and as such insurance won't get used much and will be cheap.
Some other people claim that LTI is essential, because why would you even sell it otherwise.

Both people say they are absolutely right even when their opinions directly clash (like in many other theory fields of SC's mechanics).

CI~G never bothered to clarify which people are right, just sells more LTI.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Love how CIG manages to make LTI be a thing at all and make backers spend hours on end debating it when there is still no loving game. You have to give it to CIG, or someone in CIG who knows exactly how to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX0r6DsvXAU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

The Titanic posted:

If that elevator were real, do you think it would have the walls and floors covered in vomit as people are jerked around and spun together in a tight space? It's like some kind of carnival ride except worse because of all the sudden trajectory changes.

People just thrown against a wall, then spun, and then the doors open and people just roll out of it because now they have no idea which way they're facing and everybody is sick or feels nauseous and definitely unaware of their surroundings and state.

:lol:

The doors open and it’s just a tidal wave of vom.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Found it!!!

https://youtu.be/eYbJGh8KHec

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

rePool posted:

Curious if any publisher would touch the IP if that were ever a possibility or if this would sadly end up in a dumpster.

Guess I want to believe there must be something of value in there if Chris was shown the door and someone came in to narrow the scope a little.

The game is simply unfinished and broken to the point it would take years and millions for competent people to make it work.

If this game were in the state it currently is in 2 years after the kickstarter and none of the BS like the crytek lawsuit or 280 million or so debt the company has incured in the 8 years since, you would get buyers.

But as is; a lawsuit that may kill the game, the debt, the massive scope, all the promises the company has sold to get 280 million, not to mention that for at least 3 years, the company has lost money. Not even marvel would buy this just to get mark hamill mocap footage.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, instead of Roberts saying the usual "hold my beer" most will be saying "hold the door."

drat I love this dumpster fire.

Some say "Fidelity", Chris says "Fecundity".

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DigitalPenny posted:

I'd almost thought they might keep the lift stationary and move the rest of the world round to avoid the complexity of lifts...

Seriously half-life had lifts... Mario has lifts. How can anyone be referring to this as developing tech ?

If we have magic go anywhere lifts why do we need trains, why is everywhere such an epic walk?

Why would you spin the lift and not just add more doors?

How is this only a problem now?

The mind boggles at depths of stupidity we are plumbing the depths of here.

Wish I could link that vedio of buggy lift done to Charlie and the chocolate factory right now.

You mean this one? :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYbJGh8KHec

Edit: whoops, guess you already found it :)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Tchoh, kids today. I wonder if Sonny Jim over there has even heard of the Northampton Lighthouse?

I was brought up on Terry Wogan’s cone army....A more innocent time.

In paralleloscams; https://gamedaily.biz/article/965/former-gearbox-employee-provides-proof-randy-pitchford-diverted-funds-to-personal-company

Hav fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 19, 2019

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DigitalPenny posted:

Seriously half-life had lifts...
Oh poo poo, this is basically the intro train from Half-Life 1, isn't it? I'm too lazy to go map-decompiling right now, but I'm pretty sure that was basically the same sort of moving object as an elevator. Just lengthier. And with windows.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I find it hilarious that Star Citizen can't figure out what Every MMO Ever has been able to figure out about maps and loading zones and poo poo. I mean poo poo, CoH came out in 2004. They figured this poo poo out.

WoW has you flying across entire continents and you have no issues with loading and unloading the maps.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Kins posted:

Oh poo poo, this is basically the intro train from Half-Life 1, isn't it? I'm too lazy to go map-decompiling right now, but I'm pretty sure that was basically the same sort of moving object as an elevator. Just lengthier. And with windows.

It's really nothing like the Half-Life tram though, because I never fell through that. CIG is breaking new ground; real game developers will pay them to license these technologies.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Kins posted:

Mario has been doing this all the time. Elevators, lifts, moving platforms, seesaws, you name it.

That's in part what makes it so funny. They are showcasing the most trivial of trivial things as a work-in-progress like eight years into the project. And, somehow, they made a rotating elevator for morons instead of having it have two doors, because doors are extremely hard in SC because of their "room" tech. The whole project is a precariously balanced Jenga tower with malformed pieces that they keep adding to.

And, this is super secret info so I'll hide under the paywall....

Cryengine has elevators entities that do all what they are showcasing... mostly because that's what they are using as the base for their stuff. https://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC2/Elevator+Entities They just modified them so that they are now janky and buggy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlg72S8hzcw

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Mu77ley posted:

I give it 30 minutes after release until a goon publishes a video with Crobear plastered all over their ship. ;)

Game is fully moddable and DoubleDamage is going to release their MAX18 exporter. Someone is going to put SC ships into Rebel Galaxy Outlaws and make the game from the original pitch.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trucutru posted:

Mario has been doing this all the time. Elevators, lifts, moving platforms, seesaws, you name it.

That's in part what makes it so funny. They are showcasing the most trivial of trivial things as a work-in-progress like eight years into the project. And, somehow, they made a rotating elevator for morons instead of having it have two doors, because doors are extremely hard in SC because of their "room" tech. The whole project is a precariously balanced Jenga tower with malformed pieces that they keep adding to.

And, this is super secret info so I'll hide under the paywall....

Cryengine has elevators entities that do all what they are showcasing... mostly because that's what they are using as the base for their stuff. https://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC2/Elevator+Entities They just modified them so that they are now janky and buggy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlg72S8hzcw

Never. Been. Done. Before.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bloody hell, the cheek! FD aren't even making games any more, they are getting other suckers to make games for them and becoming a big bad publisher, who will obviously rush games out just to make a quick $$$.

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/frontier-marks-move-into-publishing-with-deal-for-surviving-mars-developer-haemimonts-next-game/

Thank god for CIG!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Obviously they watched Star Trek: Discovery and thought those turbolift rollercoasters looked cool.

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1101980502980993024

Yes, this is it! This is how we want our elevators to work!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Turns out the reinventing the wheel is easy.

Come with me on a trip to the world of the mighty boosh;

quote:

Their new MMO backend is coming online with 3.0. There they will introduce what they call the "network bind culling". That's what culls out the irrelevant data from the clients.

They have something called the "zone system" already which is going to be used with that bind culling. Their zone system has the ability to have their servers spin up new instances for the various zones. So the interior of the ships will be running on different hardware than the exterior since the two communicate on a much more primitive level. Zones can contain an unlimited amount of zones within them in what I guess is just a basic tree structure. The ability to spin up new instances for zones within a zone allows a ship to exist in an instance of 100 other ships while still having players and NPCs within the zones. Since zones contain zones, a single star system can be a single zone with a dozen zones where player exist within it. Therefor each system can have a server instance that's tracking all of the general data while it's spinning up new instances to handle the more complicated data.

Megamap was just a client side solution to the CryEngine's natural bottleneck of having to load all assets in the current "map" and store them. Incredibly inefficient and unscalable for a game like Star Citizen.

The current build of the PU is still running on their hacked up version of the CryEngine's basic network code. While their servers can dynamically fire up new instances upon request, while the servers are active, every single object's data has to be tracked by each client. It also only has one "zone" rather than the instancing I mentioned above. Thus right now the literally thousands of asteroids and dozens to hundreds of NPCs plus the complicated ships are tracked by one single instance and have to all be sent to each client. I believe their physics are actually calculated server side, at least the NPCs are. Ships, even the NPCs are not just driven by arbitrary means and require the use of the IFCS (flight computer) which controls the thrusters, and physics engine, to drive the movement of the ships.

Basically the current PU backend is extremely unoptimized as it was never built to handle what it's currently doing. Their new system is a complete replacement designed specifically to meet the needs of the game. Should fix the massive performance issues and allow the scaling.

They've been very open about this massive deficiency within the CryEngine and their system to replace it. It's just only now with the 3.0 patch are we going to finally see it. Writing an MMO backend that can scale to the levels that Star Citizen has to takes time.
May 2017
https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/star-citizen-is-becoming-just-as-detailed-as-battl-33388450/?page=4

I like looking back at posts from that 2016-2017 timeframe because it's easy to forget the development and re-development of the wheel. The whole thread is gold in the context of the Crytek/Lumberyard/Star Engine confusion, mainly because there's the twin pronged approach of 'Crytek is poo poo' and 'It was the only choice'. The latter is usually fairly easy to dismantle with a 'Aren't they rewriting most of the engine?'.

Note that _two years ago_ they were under the impression they were getting a new network stack and handwave the 'advancement' of financial networking, which mainly consists of moving your compute _closer_ to the exchange to reduce latency.

Edit: Sparky here does the zone thing. Each one of those units of compute will have to communicate with the marshaller, which means that your central process handling 'the system' will saturate extremely quickly at nanosecond latency, let alone the millisecond latency of networks, and Amazon networks at that. Suggesting that the PU backend was never designed for an MMO level game makes you wonder what the actual gently caress they thought they were building.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 19, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

Bloody hell, the cheek! FD aren't even making games any more, they are getting other suckers to make games for them and becoming a big bad publisher, who will obviously rush games out just to make a quick $$$.

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/frontier-marks-move-into-publishing-with-deal-for-surviving-mars-developer-haemimonts-next-game/

Thank god for CIG!

Haemimont sure gets around. I think their last 3 or 4 games have all had different publishers. Surviving Mars was published by Paradox, for example.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Some various notes and tidbits about the new build and ETF's experience ingame in general:

GrimHEX still has an armistice zone surrounding it. The turrets are to uphold the local laws.

Delamar is now around 20,000,000km from Port Olisar

By "unstable" in the patch notes, CIG means "very unstable, lots of infinite loading screens and 30ks"

Ships that have rotating engines engage when you get into hover mode, you need to keep the ship VTOLs down or you drift a lot and fall to the ground. No atmo effects at the moment.

You can now actually see out of the merlin cockpit.

There is a journal entry for the GrimHEX laws but it's an empty placeholder currently

The bug where you'd go back to first person in a ship and the helmet reboots is finally fixed

The action wheel at the bottom of the screen is gone =(

At the moment, servers last around 3-5 minutes before a 30k.

Players glitching around due to netcode has been noticeably reduced.

There is now a new version of the RSI launcher that combines the PTU and LIVE launchers. You no longer need the RSI PTU Launcher to access the PTU. Release notes for this launcher can be found

Mmm, yes, everything seems fine. Good, good.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Woke up today thinking of what I can accomplish.

I've decided to physicalize virtual machines.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Finally! After eight years o effort I've managed to add some elevators with cannons that spit ghosts to a mario maker level and let me tell you: it was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

trucutru posted:

Finally! After eight years o effort I've managed to add some elevators with cannons that spit ghosts to a mario maker level and let me tell you: it was worth it.

250 million well spent.