Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

Ritznit posted:

Alright, time for me to bust out a :siren: DONATION PLEDGE :siren:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

Godspeed. For a good cause! :black101:

Reporting for :toxx: duty!

Run #1: Advance BERSKERER RISK — Knight / Berserker / Samurai / Cannoneer

Team Chad Brave Blade Butes never had to run away because it was too busy sticking mobs with the pointy ends of things. It was a bit of a slog through all four tablet dungeons since I needed to buy Cannoneer shot, but nothing was too difficult. Had some Aegis block luck on NED, but mostly I just used Vulner Cannon and !Zeninage until a section was almost dead then hit it with beatsticks. Shinryu was very easy, Power Cannon berserked him, then used one of the three Ashes in the whole friggin' game to land Dark Cannon for blind. Omega wasn't bad either, left the Berserker dead after the first wave of attacks, hit an initial Slow Cannon then just used Vulner Cannon when my HP was in good shape. Honestly this run would have been very boring without Cannoneer.

Onto the next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Kyrosiris posted:

You know what's stupid? The Brave Blade. You know what loving rules?

:black101: TWO RAGNAROKS :black101:

So I'm :toxx:ing a $5 donation (up to $50) for the first ten people who finish their fiesta with two fuckin' Ragnaroks. Get the first from Shinryu, get the second from stealing it from Neo-Exdeath, and then take a picture during the NED fight of either both equipped or both in your item list to count.

Thief Knife mugging took Faris until half of NED was dead and the last part was almost dead so I had to kill Lenna but it's done. I got me my two Ragnaroks.

edit: also first run done

01) Winner Risk --- Blue Mage / Berserker / Summoner / White Mage

like all the other Winner Risks but this was the first time I got to use Blue Mage. Blue Mage is ridiculous and I love it. Real mean of RK to give us white mage after the Ronkan Ruins pushing white wind off until the meatfort. Killed Shinryu the old Berserk + Blink way.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 19, 2019

pointy corpse
Jul 7, 2014

Got summoner at the water crystal :getin:
Punching and rod breaking.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

White Mage / Berserk / Bard. What do I do about the sandworm (besides kill the berserker)? Plink, plink, plink? SNES version.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

White Mage / Berserk / Bard. What do I do about the sandworm (besides kill the berserker)? Plink, plink, plink? SNES version.

I'm sorry : (

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

Maybe it's time to job fair?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I'd suggest not killing the berserker. Just heal the counters with !White.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Plink, plink, plink it was. Thanks to !white there was never any danger, just a bit of tedium. Hopefully job #4 is good and/or equip axes does some work, otherwise yeah I might look into job fairing.

E:^^^^probably would have been smarter.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Bregor posted:

Reporting for :toxx: duty!

Team Chad Brave Blade Butes never had to run away because it was too busy sticking mobs with the pointy ends of things. It was a bit of a slog through all four tablet dungeons since I needed to buy Cannoneer shot, but nothing was too difficult. Had some Aegis block luck on NED, but mostly I just used Vulner Cannon and !Zeninage until a section was almost dead then hit it with beatsticks. Shinryu was very easy, Power Cannon berserked him, then used one of the three Ashes in the whole friggin' game to land Dark Cannon for blind. Omega wasn't bad either, left the Berserker dead after the first wave of attacks, hit an initial Slow Cannon then just used Vulner Cannon when my HP was in good shape. Honestly this run would have been very boring without Cannoneer.

Onto the next!

Nice job, Bregor! :toot: Donated in your honor.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

You know what's stupid? The Brave Blade. You know what loving rules?

:black101: TWO RAGNAROKS :black101:

So I'm :toxx:ing a $5 donation (up to $50) for the first ten people who finish their fiesta with two fuckin' Ragnaroks. Get the first from Shinryu, get the second from stealing it from Neo-Exdeath, and then take a picture during the NED fight of either both equipped or both in your item list to count.

Double Ragna you say?

Neo Exdeath did NOT want to give up his sword, but it happened in the end. Triple crowned with Red/Zerk/Chem/Monk.

Might as well post some of the stupid images I made during The Run.

Fifth job pleases Edward

Solo Faris versus Crystals

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
By far the lowest level run I have done. Had to scum for Aegis Shield procs on two Almagests because nobody could survive one even with shell. Thought I was screwed when he used a meteor with three parts still alive, but Lenna survived and ended it with two final Syldras. Shinryu was free with this party, but I really did not want to grind for an Omega win (or pray that Dark Spark somehow lands).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 19, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

derra posted:

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements: 

1) Triple Crowns 
2) with a total party level under 100 and 
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30. 

agradine posted:

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Hempuli posted:

I'll donate $10 for every screenshot of either NED, Shinryu or Omega being beaten with only one team-member alive, up to $100. Preferably with the teammates falling to enemy attacks, but eh, feel free to set things up however you want. :toxx:

Between Chemist and Canonneer, you get to choose your flavour of broken.

(Incidentally, the last Toxx appears to be missing from the OP.)

1234567890num posted:

I'd suggest not killing the berserker. Just heal the counters with !White.

I had to do it with WHM/BSK as well, and in my experience, killing off the Berserker is the preferrable solution. Sandworm is always in the backrow, so the Zerk will do crappy damage even if it hits, and the strongest weapon at that point (the Death Sickle) can proc two counters per attack. It's just not worth the hassle.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I made a guide to run chances throughout the game, for people who don't want to have to scroll through the massive algorithm guide.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bregor posted:

I always buy three because I get the fourth one in the Rift Castle! (Yes I'm lame, shut up.)

Oh good. I just started the third world and was thinking of hoofing it to the rift right after pyramid but I was afraid I wouldn't have enough cash for anti Exdeath gear. Thing is, if I grind for more, I just know I'll want to try for a triple crown which logically just seems like an awful idea with Black Mage Zerk and Geo.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Hempuli posted:

Oh hey, I've kind of wanted to do one of these, so here goes:

I'll donate $10 for every screenshot of either NED, Shinryu or Omega being beaten with only one team-member alive, up to $100. Preferably with the teammates falling to enemy attacks, but eh, feel free to set things up however you want. :toxx:

Oh, didn't notice this one until SC linked it.

https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/1141058551030386688

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Just rolled Pure Chaos, got Time Mage / Black Mage / Mystic Knight / Berserker

:yeshaha:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I finished my Winner Risk run the exact same way THE RUN ended, with Meteor killing all except Krile, who proceeded to destroy NED with one last blow

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

derra posted:

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements: 

1) Triple Crowns 
2) with a total party level under 100 and 
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30. 

Include a screenshot of your final levels! 

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

The hardest part of the Winner run was figuring out in what ways you want to break the game open. NED took a lucky Aegis Shield block to survive Almagest but managed to take him out before it fired a second time. Grand Cross gave me a very manageable Petrify, Near Death, HP Leak, Blind loadout that was a non-issue. Shinryu was a simple Berserk + Blink/Golem affair. Omega is currently being quick leaked on hardware, so if that pic doesn't suffice, I'll upload the victory screen when I wake up in the morning.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Geez, I'm not even out of world 1 yet and I can already feel double Red Mage mediocrity on my team seeping in.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ramos posted:

Geez, I'm not even out of world 1 yet and I can already feel double Red Mage mediocrity on my team seeping in.

The only real use Red Mage has by end game if you don't have any other casters is rod breaking and doublecast party Curas.

My one major issue with FF5 is that you have jack poo poo for healing items outside of Elixirs, and absolutely nothing for party healing.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

The only real use Red Mage has by end game if you don't have any other casters is rod breaking and doublecast party Curas.

My one major issue with FF5 is that you have jack poo poo for healing items outside of Elixirs, and absolutely nothing for party healing.

Yeap, I'm loaded down on rods but with the other party members being Berserker and Beastmaster, I'm getting real familiar with the dumb stuff I can capture and cheese fights with.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nailed it :stonklol:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I usually end up grinding out a full set of Reflect Rings at Barrier Tower specifically for W2 Exdeath. Unless you roll a really good party comp, (or have Beastmaster) he is an utter bastard.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

I usually end up grinding out a full set of Reflect Rings at Barrier Tower specifically for W2 Exdeath. Unless you roll a really good party comp, (or have Beastmaster) he is an utter bastard.

He's been tough on my other Fiestas, felt so good just dropping L2 Old this time

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I went with natural chaos and ended up with Dragoon, two Samurais, and a Blue Mage. I want to buy a replacement for one of the Samurais, because it's boring, but I don't want to give myself an advantage over what I got (assume Gil Toss isn't a thing). What should I replace it with?

And no Monks. I'm loving sick of Monks.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Complete_Cynic posted:

He's been tough on my other Fiestas, felt so good just dropping L2 Old this time

Yeah, same. Going from L2 Old to L5 Death is so satisfying, even if it's a pain to time correctly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Pneub posted:

I went with natural chaos and ended up with Dragoon, two Samurais, and a Blue Mage. I want to buy a replacement for one of the Samurais, because it's boring, but I don't want to give myself an advantage over what I got (assume Gil Toss isn't a thing). What should I replace it with?

And no Monks. I'm loving sick of Monks.

You're pretty set with Samurai and Blue Mage, honestly. You could do Knight for Brave Blade shenanigans with G-Punch, Bard or Chemist to boost levels to throw more cash, Beastmaster to make gathering Blue Magic slightly more convenient, or Berserker to enjoy the Rune Axe with !Blue, or really any job you want.

Random reroll may be fun, too.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

You're pretty set with Samurai and Blue Mage, honestly. You could do Knight for Brave Blade shenanigans with G-Punch, Bard or Chemist to boost levels to throw more cash, Beastmaster to make gathering Blue Magic slightly more convenient, or Berserker to enjoy the Rune Axe with !Blue, or really any job you want.

Random reroll may be fun, too.

You missed the word "natural" there, which appears to be a large part of the issue.

Bard, Chemist and Beastmaster are still valid for that, though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
They said they don't want to give themselves an advantage over what they have, so probably anything but bard/chemist is fine. Samurai is pretty top tier if you're willing to farm a bit of gil.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Yeah, I'm not trying to move up, I'm trying to move sideways just because two of the same class is boring. I've finished 4 of these runs, I'm just letting someone else make the call to mix things up.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

That's one run down - last time I started a second and burned out, but I'm on holiday Fri-Tues so planning to get at least one more done this year!

EDIT: Played it safe and went #Popular - starting with Time, so a nice Freelancer cruise all the way through Garula.

EXTRA EDIT: Looked ahead and it's WHM at the Water Crystal, so I'm not hurting for buffs. Damage in the early game, on the other hand...

Complete_Cynic fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 19, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Pneub posted:

Yeah, I'm not trying to move up, I'm trying to move sideways just because two of the same class is boring. I've finished 4 of these runs, I'm just letting someone else make the call to mix things up.

How about replacing one of the Samurai with Ninja?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

KataraniSword posted:

You missed the word "natural" there, which appears to be a large part of the issue.

Can you blame me?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

#regwinner gave me a team perfect for the <100 toxx. And I got it properly this time by staggering Lenna's level. It feels nice to bat out that incentive first thing.

Omega got Quickleaked. He did plaster me three times in a row with Atomic Ray before I even had a turn.

Shinryu got berserked and then I hid behind Golem and Blink while flinging Meteor and Aeroga.

NED was a problem because this team couldn't actually survive Almagest even through Shell. I got lucky on my 4th Catoblepas nailing the Almagest chunk.

The rest was a lot simpler, even though it was still pretty hectic. I tried to knock some HP off of Wizard Bones so it'd get dunked with Grand Coif but I went too hard and left a piece alone anyway.

Anyway I realized part way through this is that I'm the only person I know who turns off ATB. Um,

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Anyway I realized part way through this is that I'm the only person I know who turns off ATB. Um,

Congrats, :yikes:

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

I've got Time, White, Mystic Knight and Ranger for run number 2 - just had Ranger on my first run and as tempting as Rapidfire Spellblade is, is there anything particularly interesting I should Job Fair for? I'd also like to avoid Blue, Chemist and Berserker for the same reason.

It's replacing Earth, in case that matters.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bregor posted:

Just rolled Pure Chaos, got Time Mage / Black Mage / Mystic Knight / Berserker

:yeshaha:

Decided to job fair Zerk into Ninja to go for the under-100 toxx and move towards the all-jobs toxx. Also want to include Freelancer, Mime, and all the Advance jobs. Let's do this :science:

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Monk / Red / Geo / Dancer was pretty good for W1. It'll be fine forever, I'm sure. :downsgun:

I'm noticing that Monk is really starting to lose her potency but I'm going to assume that she gets it back. And sure, she might take around three times more damage than I'd like, but she also has maybe 1.5x the HP so it works out. :downsgun:

Though Dancer + Main Gauche is decent when she's not spamming Mystery Waltz. Sometimes blocking attacks and sometimes dealing a lot of damage is sometimes good. I'm looking forward to the equipment that raises the probability of Sword Dance, probably the one thing that'll make this class (maybe this whole drat party) halfway viable till the endgame.

And one of my classes can break rods and use staves! That's pretty good. :downsgun:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

blinking beacon nose posted:

I'm noticing that Monk is really starting to lose her potency but I'm going to assume that she gets it back.

I have bad news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

After getting Knight and Monk, I tried the !Guard + Counter strategy against Gil Turtle. As long as you don't mess up the inputs, it's technically foolproof, because it completely negates his attacks. I wouldn't even have needed Float since killing an enemy with a counter doesn't trigger the React: Death script.

However, I wouldn't recommend this approach unless you're playing on an emulator and can thus automate the process. Lenna did a pathetic ~850 damage on a counter, and even that only when she didn't miss due to Gil Turtle's respectable evasion. The fight took over 30 minutes in real-time.