Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Another one that I really liked was when you are boating around with Mimir and he starts to tell a story, if you land the boat, he'll stop and say "But we'll pick this up again later". Then when you get back on the boat, Atraeus will get him started again, and he'll go "Now where was I? Oh right - " and continue from the last line he told. Rinse and repeat for every story. But I wouldn't be surprised if there was a break point built in after every sentence or two where Mimir can drop off and pick up again for every story that he tells.

From a programming POV it's pretty simple, just put a flag after every line in the story after it's been played and the next time story time rolls around, look for the last flag. But the effect of it is really neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Bloodstained release date trailer is really neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d79KArgmgcc

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

CzarChasm posted:

Another one that I really liked was when you are boating around with Mimir and he starts to tell a story, if you land the boat, he'll stop and say "But we'll pick this up again later". Then when you get back on the boat, Atraeus will get him started again, and he'll go "Now where was I? Oh right - " and continue from the last line he told. Rinse and repeat for every story. But I wouldn't be surprised if there was a break point built in after every sentence or two where Mimir can drop off and pick up again for every story that he tells.

From a programming POV it's pretty simple, just put a flag after every line in the story after it's been played and the next time story time rolls around, look for the last flag. But the effect of it is really neat.

A lot of more recent games do this and I really appreciate it. I noticed it first in GTA 5, but it comes up a lot in Spider-Man too, to help restore a bit of narrative if you get interrupted while going from A to B.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The real over-the-topness in SpiderMan is that all the dialogue you can have when you get called in the open world has two version - a 'relaxed' version if you stand still to take in the scenery, and an 'exerting' version so it feels appropriate to be playing while you're swinging around or punching dudes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just beaten the main story of God of War. I really liked the final Baldur fight, and the sequel hook. Hoping they do another one so we can see what happens there. Besides Kratos killing another pantheon :P

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

bewilderment posted:

The real over-the-topness in SpiderMan is that all the dialogue you can have when you get called in the open world has two version - a 'relaxed' version if you stand still to take in the scenery, and an 'exerting' version so it feels appropriate to be playing while you're swinging around or punching dudes.

Now I want the same stop and start again system but it reacts to when you get punched in the face. Having the person on the other end of the line commenting on how they heard you taking one on the jaw would be cool in small doses.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm approximately 750 pages behind, but could someone point me to the post referenced in the title?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow the third character in Woody Woodpecker (Splinter)'s races are ludicrous - you have enemies that show up and alternate shooting homing missiles and blue energy pellets on top of surviving the course. However there is a trick - you can duck under the missiles just by holding duck, then you just survive the course from there. The blue energy ones are more tricky because you need to jump over their shots, but there is a specific rhythm so it's easy to "get" how to deal with it.
Woody Woodpecker is no longer messing around. She also seems to get a lot more enemies sometimes but not others, and her platforming is the most drastically changed.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In God of War I really liked Baldur's attitude during the final fight - he was just having so much fun. "The wind, the snow... I'm FREEZING! :haw:" Just so happy he could finally feel something. Forgot to mention it earlier.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Just beaten the main story of God of War. I really liked the final Baldur fight, and the sequel hook. Hoping they do another one so we can see what happens there. Besides Kratos killing another pantheon :P

Wait, would Kratos be single-handedly bringing about Ragnarok or preventing it by killing all the key players before they can play their roles in the prophecy? Honest question, I haven't played the new GoW yet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Randalor posted:

Wait, would Kratos be single-handedly bringing about Ragnarok or preventing it by killing all the key players before they can play their roles in the prophecy? Honest question, I haven't played the new GoW yet.

god of war 2018 ending spoilers

he kills Baldr, and right on cue the Fimbulvetr kicks off. the new god of war plays it extremely loose with accepted norse mythology (pretty much everyone in the pantheon is re-written to be the same kind of frat-boy sociopath you'd see from greek myth, with the giants repurposed as a good and noble race exterminated by odin and his shithead kids), but Kratos definitively kick-starts Ragnarok by the end of the game

BioEnchanted posted:

In God of War I really liked Baldur's attitude during the final fight - he was just having so much fun. "The wind, the snow... I'm FREEZING! :haw:" Just so happy he could finally feel something. Forgot to mention it earlier.

sometimes i like to imagine what would happen if kratos had just poked him with the mistletoe at a less emotionally volatile moment. they probably would have gone out drinking or something

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I super love the teaser they put in in the end after you've finally went back home for some rest.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It is heavily implied from a mural found near the end that Kratos is going to die and Boy is going to be involved somehow so we have that to look forward to.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
When you start a new game in Observation it asks you if you want to turn on subtitles before starting the game.
You can also activate subtitles that reveal the text in the same speed that its spoken instead of always dumping the whole line at you at once!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

haveblue posted:

It is heavily implied from a mural found near the end that Kratos is going to die and Boy is going to be involved somehow so we have that to look forward to.

Kratos dies and turns into the world serpent

Really can't wait for the next game.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Honestly, with God of War having a frost axe and flaming blades, it follows at some point in the next game we get Thor's lightning hammer.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The Bee posted:

Honestly, with God of War having a frost axe and flaming blades, it follows at some point in the next game we get Thor's lightning hammer.

That'd be cool as poo poo

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Shai-Hulud posted:

When you start a new game in Observation it asks you if you want to turn on subtitles before starting the game.
You can also activate subtitles that reveal the text in the same speed that its spoken instead of always dumping the whole line at you at once!

Nice, not having the latter in movies is the reason you can predict 5-10 seconds in advance that somebody is going to be shot, eaten by a monster or hit by a car.

TontoCorazon posted:

That'd be cool as poo poo

You know that God of War has a secret ending? Well, you do now.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Jun 19, 2019

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Well I know about the Thor ending, but I really hope you get to use Mjolnir after you cave his skull in

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Also the documentary they put out on the development of God of War is pretty great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just really hope that in the sequel Atreus manages to calm Freya down. Maybe by convincing her that living for vengeance is exactly what Kratos would do, and would reduce her to Odin's level. It would definitely add to the idea of him being Better than the gods that came before, simply because he can deescalate situations without murdering them.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Oxxidation posted:

god of war 2018 ending spoilers

he kills Baldr, and right on cue the Fimbulvetr kicks off. the new god of war plays it extremely loose with accepted norse mythology (pretty much everyone in the pantheon is re-written to be the same kind of frat-boy sociopath you'd see from greek myth, with the giants repurposed as a good and noble race exterminated by odin and his shithead kids), but Kratos definitively kick-starts Ragnarok by the end of the game

I don't know that's a big re-write for the Norse pantheon, Odin and his crew were kind of sneaky assholes of dubious morality at best even in the base myths. Look at how they got their wall, or chained Fenrir, or lots of other similar bits. If you take the game's setting that Loki isn't *quite* what the myths say (not yet at least), they might be even worse in-game since they wouldn't have Loki helping/causing some of their worst tricks (maybe the myths in this setting would be them pawning off what trickery they could on Loki rather than take the blame themselves).

Admittedly, God of War has obviously always taken myth as a starting point rather than perfect setting truth, seeing as how the Greeks never wrote about an angry Spartan slaughtering all of Olympus then buggering off. Though now I'm wondering if somebody's done a parody of Homer summarizing the events of the God of War series - "Sing, Goddess, of the psychotic rage of Zeus' son Kratos, that cost EVERYBODY a lot of lives..."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BioEnchanted posted:

I just really hope that in the sequel Atreus manages to calm Freya down. Maybe by convincing her that living for vengeance is exactly what Kratos would do, and would reduce her to Odin's level. It would definitely add to the idea of him being Better than the gods that came before, simply because he can deescalate situations without murdering them.

Following Baldur's death in the Prose Eddas, Freya goes down to the underworld and pleads with Hela for his life. She agrees to restore him to the living world only on the condition that Freya can get every single thing from all the nine realms to say something in Baldur's honor at his funeral. And sure enough Freya gathers every rock and tree and creature and spirit and animal to say something nice about Baldur... except for one random frost giant who goes "yeah gently caress 'em, I always hated that guy, glad he's dead." The deal is called off. Turns out that giant was Loki in disguise.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

You know that God of War has a secret ending? Well, you do now.

Well I sure didn't! Loved the game but stopped following anything about it after beating it once. Been meaning to revisit it, and that might be what finally prompts me to.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

a kitten posted:

Well I sure didn't! Loved the game but stopped following anything about it after beating it once. Been meaning to revisit it, and that might be what finally prompts me to.

If you have a save in the postgame it's very easy to see, just fast travel back to Kratos's house.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

Though now I'm wondering if somebody's done a parody of Homer summarizing the events of the God of War series - "Sing, Goddess, of the psychotic rage of Zeus' son Kratos, that cost EVERYBODY a lot of lives..."

*nervous cough*

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Beachcomber posted:

I'm approximately 750 pages behind, but could someone point me to the post referenced in the title?

The thread moves pretty fast, but if I had to hazard a guess I'd say bioenchanted found a woody woodpecker game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Rage 2 there's a mission where you have to go to an old space center and in order to get access to what you need to do your science guy hacks the computer into thinking you're the President of the United States. After that mission when you go to unlock an Ark (pre-apocalypse tech that has stuff in it) the computer calls you "Mr President" when it opens.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

a kitten posted:

It's nothing too big but it sure is spicy

https://youtu.be/32y2VWyjYn4

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

ilmucche posted:

The thread moves pretty fast, but if I had to hazard a guess I'd say bioenchanted found a woody woodpecker game.

It was in fact, precisely that and was in regard to the difficulty of parts of the game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I may be wrong but I feel like it's the second Woody Woodpecker game we're hearing about, even.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

I may be wrong but I feel like it's the second Woody Woodpecker game we're hearing about, even.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think BioEnchanted wills these games into existence, and that they didn't exist before he started playing them.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Wish I had that power, I'd will us a new X-Wing/TIE Fighter game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Please will a full-length game based on the bonus X-wing VR scenario in SW Battlefront 1, thanks

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Don Gato posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think BioEnchanted wills these games into existence, and that they didn't exist before he started playing them.

It's an accepted fact by now. They started doing it with tv shows in another thread.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TontoCorazon posted:

Well I know about the Thor ending, but I really hope you get to use Mjolnir after you cave his skull in

Gonna have to fight Vision and Captain America for it first. And unfortunately, he can do this all day.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Gonna have to fight Vision and Captain America for it first. And unfortunately, he can do this all day.

Kratos will be fine.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Beachcomber posted:

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow the third character in Woody Woodpecker (Splinter)'s races are ludicrous - you have enemies that show up and alternate shooting homing missiles and blue energy pellets on top of surviving the course. However there is a trick - you can duck under the missiles just by holding duck, then you just survive the course from there. The blue energy ones are more tricky because you need to jump over their shots, but there is a specific rhythm so it's easy to "get" how to deal with it.
Woody Woodpecker is no longer messing around. She also seems to get a lot more enemies sometimes but not others, and her platforming is the most drastically changed.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Reminder that you can create your own Infinity Gaunlet in GOW if you get the right gems! It’s an awesome Easter egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
In Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, what you equip changes Miriam's appearance. I'm very early in the game, not even into the castle yet, but I've found this stone mask that looks ridiculous and it makes me laugh.

So far, it seems like a very solid SotN spiritual successor, and I'm loving it.